Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,612 members, 7,888,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (350) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491393 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by holyboycom: 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
Please i have a degree in Geography and regional planning. With a CGPA of 3.57. I want to do my masters in the U.S. I am interested in Msc in G.I.S and remote sensing. Please how do i get a good and affordable uni or college. I also want to know if i can be sponsored by a Nigerian company. Cos UK recognises only Shell nd chevron. Please i just want to know where to start from. Thanks guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 11:06pm On Sep 07, 2013
Feasible: House please I need orientation on how to make sevis fee Payment. Want to be sure if I can tell someone to pay on behalf in US or if I can pay directly from Nigeria.

Yes, you can let someone you trust in the US pay on your behalf.. Let the person pay through western union Quick pay in the US and you will get your receipt in 3 working days....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by godG: 11:07pm On Sep 07, 2013
simpleE: Good day.... i want advise on this. I have admission to a US school for masters this fall session and i have my F-1 visa too. I am now in the US and genuinely intend to study but i'm having difficulties with finances. I was to buy some goods for some clients and send them to Nigeria and my profit from it was what i intended using for tuition fees. But unfortunately my clients backed out and asked for a refund which i have returned to them. Now i don't have any means of paying my tuition. I'l like to seek advise from the house on what to do. What advise would you have for me in-order not to fall out of status? I do want to study but funding isn't possible now. I've been to the US twice on visits and never breached any laws.

U be Arsenal fan? Even with your said noble intentions, you are a gambler. **In Kenny Rogers' voice: every gambler knows, the secret to surviving... See, let the gurus talk bro. However, if you can source d money from somewhere else in naija even if na only first semester and subsequently find a way of securing a scholarship or something. God can do anything. But please sir, next time, don't gamble on issues like this. Had it been it is Nigeria, you can always get a way out but there, it might be throat-slashing. Just talk to people asap. Nothing is impossible. + tell it to Jesus.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by BannyE: 11:08pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Are you going for undergrad OR masters?

Yes, I intend applying for graduate program
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 11:10pm On Sep 07, 2013
Babs911: PLs how much does it cost for FedEx to charge wen use to carry my I-20 from US?

FedEx is about #18,000.

TNT courier plus is the cheapest.. It is just #12,260 for their pick-up service and you will get your package here within 4 working days...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by godG: 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
holyboy.com:
Please i have a degree in Geography and regional planning. With a CGPA of 3.57. I want to do my masters in the U.S. I am interested in Msc in G.I.S and remote sensing. Please how do i get a good and affordable uni or college. I also want to know if i can be sponsored by a Nigerian company. Cos UK recognises only Shell nd chevron. Please i just want to know where to start from. Thanks guys

1. How to get a good and affordable school?: U have ur purse and u know how much u have in it. Do u know that google understands most langs? smiley Type anything on google and u get loads of info. No one will search for schools for you sir. It is a cross u must bear. U have chosen ur path (MSC in Yankee) and u must be ready to bear d brunts. On sponsorship? Talk to folks in ur line.

2. On where to start?: You have started well by coming here sir. Next is searching for schools; then, Standardized tests. Then get ready to file in ur applications. **All is well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by BannyE: 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
I ve written toefl and GRE b4 wic is almost two yrs ago now. And I know d scores for both are still valid but are very poor(TOEFL:61) and (GRE : 277). Can I use any of this in d embassy during my interview? What is my chance here if I do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Feasible(m): 11:42pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Yes, you can let someone you trust in the US pay on your behalf.. Let the person pay through western union Quick pay in the US and you will get your receipt in 3 working days....
thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:15am On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Since you're applying for a PhD program, you might need to increase your choice schools 4 to 6 more just to stand the high competition. You know you are competing with us who are already in the system and many other nationals including Americans. Do you have a second degree prior this PhD hunt?

I just don't know why I like this post so much that I have to type the I LIKE in caps and bold letters.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:35am On Sep 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

I don't think the emboldened words really hold true. As an international student, you compete only with other international students for the slots reserved for international students.

They really don't have international students slots and all applications are scanned and ranked based on certain criteria and once the number they want to admit is full, they put like the next 5 on waiting list in case some of the students they are offering admission declines.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:43am On Sep 08, 2013
simpleE: Good day.... i want advise on this. I have admission to a US school for masters this fall session and i have my F-1 visa too. I am now in the US and genuinely intend to study but i'm having difficulties with finances. I was to buy some goods for some clients and send them to Nigeria and my profit from it was what i intended using for tuition fees. But unfortunately my clients backed out and asked for a refund which i have returned to them. Now i don't have any means of paying my tuition. I'l like to seek advise from the house on what to do. What advise would you have for me in-order not to fall out of status? I do want to study but funding isn't possible now. I've been to the US twice on visits and never breached any laws.

Try talk to your Graduate Program Advisor on the possibility of funding at worst for Spring and your International Student Advisors. They are in a position to guide you and if worse gets to worse, ask if you can still defer till January and then work on how to raise funds.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:51am On Sep 08, 2013
Snazzygirl:

That's not entirely true; it depends on the school. Some schools make international students compete with us students. That's why transcripts are evaluated, and the 2 categories of students fulfill the same requirements.

Thank you my sister. Transcript is evaluated in all cases either by evaluation body or by evaluators in the international office just to make sure everyone is at par.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:17am On Sep 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

I don't think the emboldened words really hold true. As an international student, you compete only with other international students for the slots reserved for international students.

looooooool......Ok sir, but this isn't gubernatorial primaries. And I need to know where or which school matching Int'l vs Int'l to get the best into their classes. You compete with Americans + All other international applicants.

separating my statement from the main statement for more visibility

Everyone is matched in one pool, those continuing studying in the same school get preference first, follow by those that obtained their degrees in the US territories, then outside the US territories follows.

I'm not saying they don't get PhD from outside US, I'm only saying reasons why those that studied in outside the US have to apply for as much as possible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:25am On Sep 08, 2013
Snazzygirl:

That's not entirely true; it depends on the school. Some schools make international students compete with us students. That's why transcripts are evaluated, and the 2 categories of students fulfill the same requirements.

Thank you so much for clarifying it more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FindOut(m): 2:26am On Sep 08, 2013
holyboy.com:

Use Google. Your search queries should contain stuffs like "MS Geog info systems funding international students graduate assistantship fall 2014 application deadline US"...etc. U may not use all those words but just juggle them up around. The US is a lot more flexible than the UK. You may even get funding/sponsorship (usually in form of a Graduate Assistantship) from the school or if you dont get, anybody/organisation can sponsor you as long as you can defend yourself very well at the embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:32am On Sep 08, 2013
samnoah:

Yeah bro. Have a Master's degree in Information Science

Ok, that's good. Just want to know you've done some researches in the past which could be submitted along with your applications. You need those to increase your chance. Like I said, you're competing with those that sleep and eat on research here in US and you need enough to standout.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:09am On Sep 08, 2013
GboyegaD:

I just don't know why I like this post so much that I have to type the I LIKE in caps and bold letters.

lol..... They should have asked how many you applied to in number ending with -teen despite UNT certificate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:13am On Sep 08, 2013
Babs911: PLs how much does it cost for FedEx to charge wen use to carry my I-20 from US?

I guess this is for Amefrica.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 4:40am On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Ok, that's good. Just want to know you've done some researches in the past which could be submitted along with your applications. You need those to increase your chance. Like I said, you're competing with those that sleep and eat on research here in US and you need enough to standout.

Aiit boss, well taken.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Babs911(m): 7:12am On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

I guess this is for Amefrica.
No boss its not Amefrica its me I wana know.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

looooooool......Ok sir, but this isn't gubernatorial primaries. And I need to know where or which school matching Int'l vs Int'l to get the best into their classes. You compete with Americans + All other international applicants.

separating my statement from the main statement for more visibility

Everyone is matched in one pool, those continuing studying in the same school get preference first, follow by those that obtained their degrees in the US territories, then outside the US territories follows.

I'm not saying they don't get PhD from outside US, I'm only saying reasons why those that studied in outside the US have to apply for as much as possible.

Oga, I know what I'm saying jare!
Find below, one of many (similar) e-mail from schools I intend applying to:

The BMCB (www.bmcb.xy.edu) PhD program here at xy enrolls about
15 - 20 new students every year. Of these, we reserve about 5 places for
international students. For these ~5 places, we receive about 150
international applications, about one half of which are from China. The
rest are from other countries in Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, India,
etc) and the rest of the world (middle east, Europe). To fill the 5
places for international students, we accept about 10 (since these are so
highly qualified that half of them choose other PhD programs). So you can
see it is extremely competitive. The admissions committee seeks a diverse
class, and so we typically have 1 or 2 students from mainland China, maybe
1 or 2 each from some of he other east Asian countries, 1 or 2 from India,
and 1 from Europe or the middle east.

I may concede a little and agree with snazzygirl, that it depends on the school one is applying to, but I have to say, I think it's fairly common since I've received similar mails from about 4 other schools. I just don't agree with you when you state categorically that schools don't reserve slots for international students and that "Everyone is matched in one pool". I hope my e-mail threw some light on the issue. I also hope you understand that I'm not sying this makes it any less competitive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 08, 2013
GboyegaD:

They really don't have international students slots and all applications are scanned and ranked based on certain criteria and once the number they want to admit is full, they put like the next 5 on waiting list in case some of the students they are offering admission declines.

^^^^^
You said this so confidently and rigidly that one could almost assume you've previously served on an admissions selection committee. However, this is not true in all cases. See previous post.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by emmanuelefe(m): 8:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Good morning, this is actually my first time of using Nairaland, please pardon me for now in case I make a mistake in following the terms and conditions of this page.

please I need an advice, I want to travel out to US because my uncle leaves there. He has asked me to do all I can to get the visa and then he will now play his part by sending me an invitation. but the truth is that I don't know where to start from.

please I will appreciate an advice on the steps to take in other to secure a visa successfully since I have an uncle there already and what are the document they will probably require? because I don't intend to lie about anything. I haven't travel before, will this affect me also? and I am not working but my parents are sponsoring me. what do you think can affect my visa application? please I need these information urgently so that I can prepare my self beforehand.

thanks
Emmanuel Efe smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 9:02am On Sep 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

Oga, I know what I'm saying jare!
Find below, one of many (similar) e-mail from schools I intend applying to:

The BMCB (www.bmcb.xy.edu) PhD program here at xy enrolls about
15 - 20 new students every year. Of these, we reserve about 5 places for
international students.

It's obvious you didn't get my point.

If out of 20 places..... 15 places go for those within, therefore, my first statement about preference given to those within and competition with them is valid.

dolapobello1:
For these ~5 places, we receive about 150
international applications, about one half of which are from China. The
rest are from other countries in Asia (Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, India,
etc) and the rest of the world (middle east, Europe)

Did you just post this stat to prove this is a good per cent and good distribution to reckon with?

If 5 is need and 150 applications are gotten, that's like 3.33% chance of being selected. Then my statements that say, "apply to up to 10 to increase your chance as an international applicant" and "you compete with Americans + All other international applicants" are valid.

dolapobello1:
To fill the 5 places for international students, we accept about 10 (since these are so highly qualified that half of them choose other PhD programs).So you can see it is extremely competitive.

Do you want me to believe this statement says I was wrong by saying PhD admission is competitive and you've got to standout to get admitted being from outside US.

dolapobello1:
The admissions committee seeks a diverse class, and s[b]o we typically have 1 or 2 students from mainland China, maybe
1 or 2 each from some of he other east Asian countries, 1 or 2 from India, and 1 from Europe or the middle east.[/b]

And where is African on this list since the subject is Nigerian student and did the email say there more chance for Nigerians over others?

dolapobello1:
I may concede a little and agree with snazzygirl, that it depends on the school one is applying to, but I have to say, I think it's fairly common since I've received similar mails from about 4 other schools. I just don't agree with you when you state categorically that schools don't reserve slots for international students and that "Everyone is matched in one pool". I hope my e-mail threw some light on the issue.

You claim there is reserved slots for international which doesn't hold any importance to the issue at hand, still there is nothing that says slot is given to Nigerians (which would have matter).

dolapobello1: I also hope you understand that I'm not sying this makes it any less competitive.

Then why the unnecessary quoting of my statements for debate?

imperiouxx:

4) Competition with those within (continuing students... first, those within US...second, others from outside are needed to fill programs in case they got few applications or the school isn't first choice for applicants).

FYI: I'm applying to 10.

I've bold a statement you missed in my initial post. There is difference between "they want us and we want them". If an applicant with US certificate applied to more than 10 schools to widen the chance, even with the slot stuff that's your point, then what advantage(s) someone with foreign certificate has?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 9:18am On Sep 08, 2013
emmanuelefe: Good morning, this is actually my first time of using Nairaland, please pardon me for now in case I make a mistake in following the terms and conditions of this page.

please I need an advice, I want to travel out to US because my uncle leaves there. He has asked me to do all I can to get the visa and then he will now play his part by sending me an invitation. but the truth is that I don't know where to start from.

please I will appreciate an advice on the steps to take in other to secure a visa successfully since I have an uncle there already and what are the document they will probably require? because I don't intend to lie about anything. I haven't travel before, will this affect me also? and I am not working but my parents are sponsoring me. what do you think can affect my visa application? please I need these information urgently so that I can prepare my self beforehand.

thanks
Emmanuel Efe smiley

Efe ur queries would b best answered here:
https://www.nairaland.com/608780/usa-visit-visa/85
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

It's obvious you didn't get my point.

If out of 20 places..... 15 places go for those within, therefore, my first statement about preference given to those within and competition with them is valid.

Did you just post this stat to prove this is a good per cent and good distribution to reckon with?

If 5 is need and 150 applications are gotten, that's like 3.33% chance of being selected. Then my statements that say, "apply to up to 10 to increase your chance as an international applicant" and "you compete with Americans + All other international applicants" are valid.

Do you want me to believe this statement says I was wrong by saying PhD admission is competitive and you've got to standout to get admitted being from outside US.

And where is African on this list since the subject is Nigerian student and did the email say there more chance for Nigerians over others?

You claim there is reserved slots for international which doesn't hold any importance to the issue at hand, still there is nothing that says slot is given to Nigerians (which would have matter).

Then why the unnecessary quoting of my statements for debate?

I've bold a statement you missed in my initial post. There is difference between "they want us and we want them". If an applicant with US certificate applied to more than 10 schools to widen the chance, even with the slot stuff that's your point, then what advantage(s) someone with foreign certificate has?

Chief imperiouxx, you are subtly changing the premises of our argument. Our entire debate was based on whether or not they reserve slots for international students. Since you agree with that, I rest my case.

PS: I never said you were wrong about the schools being competitive. That's very obvious and I totally agree with you on that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Happy Sunday my peeps
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

lol..... They should have asked how many you applied to in number ending with -teen despite UNT certificate.

Abi ooo. Despite my many admits, only a few gave four years guaranteed funding and some were even saying funding starts the second year. If admission was only the case, applying to 4 would suffice provided you have good GPA, GRE Scores, LORs, and SOP.
I also would like to advice non - science students in particular to read through the funding options of their schools very well as schools are beginning to shrink funding for non - stem programs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

^^^^^
You said this so confidently and rigidly that one could almost assume you've previously served on an admissions selection committee. However, this is not true in all cases. See previous post.

smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

Chief imperiouxx, you are subtly changing the premises of our argument. Our entire debate was based on whether or not they reserve slots for international students. Since you agree with that, I rest my case.

PS: I never said you were wrong about the schools being competitive. That's very obvious and I totally agree with you on that.

Agree with you on what sir? I don't know why you find it hard to understand my simple point.... In a pool of many PhD applications, internationals struggle with those continuing in the same school and within, cutting their chances to 5 out of 20 places(from your email).

Out of the remaining 5 places, 150 international applications which include those from Europe and Asia (the dominant int'l student body in US) gotten, Africa takes no significant proportion (from your email).

Then of what importance is your argument that requires agreement? If an international student seems not to standout, his/her application is THRASHED immediately they made the decision.

If anyone likes, (s)he should apply to only 1 PhD school right from Nigeria because there's assurance that special slots would be given to internationals.....lolz grin You don sit on one legged chair.

Not even with this poor state of research and strike prone education in Nigeria, don't apply to many o......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Agree with you on what sir? I don't know why you find it hard to understand my simple point.... In a pool of many PhD applications, internationals struggle with those continuing in the same school and within, cutting their chances to 5 out of 20 places(from your email).

Out of the remaining 5 places, 150 international applications which include those from Europe and Asia (the dominant int'l student body in US) gotten, Africa takes no significant proportion (from your email).

Then of what importance is your argument that requires agreement? If an international student seems not to standout, his/her application is THRASHED immediately they made the decision.

If anyone likes, (s)he should apply to only 1 PhD school right from Nigeria because there's assurance that special slots would be given to internationals.....lolz grin You don sit on one legged chair.

Not even with this poor state of research and strike prone education in Nigeria, don't apply to many o......

Lmao!. I get your point now. You are very correct.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hi Everyone,
I am currently an engineering student in a Nigerian university and would like to get information on the possibility of interning in the states during my 4th year. Also I would appreciate any additional information on the requirements and other necessary conditions to be fulfilled by any aspiring intern.
Should any other information be required to enable a more detailed response I will be glad to provide on request.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.