Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,541 members, 7,888,732 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:57 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491361 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 30, 2013
Someone should highlight all i need to get a student visa. University of Minnesota is my choice n my sponsor lives around there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by onipedey(m): 4:55pm On May 30, 2013
ystd4567: @ibkgbocco

Filling another DS160 has nothing to do with your booked appointment date. Go to DS160 webpage https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV. Select your location, then on the lower right corner of your screen, click on "retrieve an application"(if you opt for "retrieve an application", you won't have to start filling-in your information from scratch on the DS160 i.e. Some of your information on your previous DS160 will be carried-over to the new DS160). You'll be required to enter your old application id which is also same as your confirmation number, some security questions would also be asked. After answering the security question and clicking on "retrieve application", you'll have an option to "view confirmation page" OR "create a new application". Select "create a new application" and click "continue" so you can carry on from there...Note that another DS160 confirmation number will be generated. Go to the appointment booking site: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-appointmentschedule.asp log into your profile, on the left pane on your screen click on "update profile" and change your DS160 confirmation number to the new one. You will notice in your profile that your appointment date is fixed except you decide to reschedule. I wish you all the best in your interview.

Bro,pls wen the new DS 160 confirmation number is updated on the appointment profile,how will someone get the new number on the already printed appointment confirmation page? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 4:57pm On May 30, 2013
@Amefrica, why don't you go back to the previous thread. Part 1 or 2 and read everyone's comments, success stories, suggestions, ideas e.t.c .

I promise you, you will gain alot... When you sit down and read those pages you will learn everything about. USA student visa, Admission processing and everything.

You will hardly lack any information if you do what I asked you. And after reading those pages if there is anything you don't understand just post your comment here and we will gladly be ready to help you.

Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 5:00pm On May 30, 2013
Amefrica: pls help me oo.. Im a nigerian, n there is a woman in america who is willing to sponsor me. I passed all my subjects in waec, pls can someone just highlights all i need. Plus me n the woman r no where related, we met in kfc ilorin now she's bck to US. Can she also b my sponsor ? JAH BLESS
Amefrica: Someone should highlight all i need to get a student visa. University of Minnesota is my choice n my sponsor lives around there.

@Amefrica, why don't you go back to the previous
thread. Part 1 or 2 and read everyone's comments,
success stories, suggestions, ideas e.t.c .

I promise you, you will gain alot... When you sit
down and read those pages you will learn
everything about USA student visa, Admission
processing and everything.

You will hardly lack any information if you do what I
asked you. And after reading those pages if there is
anything you don't understand just post your
comment here and we will gladly be ready to help
you.

Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:26pm On May 30, 2013
Just one days off, lot of comments on the thread.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 6:34pm On May 30, 2013
I was granted the F1 visa today at the US embassy at Abuja(8AM appointment)
The below is a reconstruction of the actual event.. This might not be accurate in every detail but i'll give it my best shot(as i no carry tape recorder inside pocket!).

2:15 AM...Got up from bed
stayed awake till dawn admist short prayers and short naps
6:15 AM...left my house for the embassy
Stayed outside the embassy till we were told to come in for our documents to be checked
Then we went into the main building for biometrics.
While we were in line, I took time to analyse how the other applicants were faring.
They were mostly families seeking a visit visa to the US.It was just windows 6&7 that were the officiating VOs.
Window 6(a young lady, i'll say 25 years) Window 7(a man in his late thirties)
They issued visas almost without the faintest hesitation until a yoruba couple can in and pissed the Window 7 guy off. The couple wanted a visit visa for a wedding at Dallas.They left empty handed and that seemed to change the hand of the VOs.
Kept issuing out with a rate of 70-30 with more accepts than rejects.
I instantly fell in a trance imagining the lady was interviewing me. I had the entire interview figured out with all the details in the right place.
The young man just ahead of me stepped up and got rejected for not following the simplest instruction on NAIRALAND.COM
"write standardized tests"
At that moment i felt i was in for very good luck

Here it goes
Before the Interview i begged God for the grace to tell no more than three lies
VO: Hi, how are you doing?
Charleeez:I'm doing good
VO: pass me your documents
CharleeezsadI obliged)
VO: so what are you going to the US for?
Charleeez: Im going for a Masters degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at ....
VO: what other schools did you apply to?
Charleeez: ...,...,...,... and ....
VO: Do you have any relative in ....?
Charleeez: No( here came lie number 1,, I have an entire village at ...)
VO: so how did you get to know about this schools and why did you choose ...?
Charleeez: I came across an article on NEW YORK TIMES that was an analysis on the Best state for Electrical Engineering in the US.
VO: So why did you choose this course?
Charleeez: Actually im going for a Graduate degree with specific interest in Renewable Energy as an alternative source to Hydroelectric and buring of fossil fuels methods of power generation.
Here came my moment. I asked the VO a question.
Charleeez: Why is the generator at the embassy always on?
VO: (looking baffled) yes, there is never power here it seems.
Charleeez: I want to contribute in bringing renewable energy power generation to help alleviate the strain on the already poor power situation here in Nigeria.
At this moment she had stopped typing and kept listening to me mumbling on...
VO: Okay. very good. so who is sponsoring you.
Charleeez: my dad.
VO: what does he do?
Charleeez: He is a Consultant cardiologist and a professor
i saw the look on her eyes peering right into my soul but i tried not to give her the upper hand and didnt blink in return.
VO: do your have his bank statement.
Charleeez: Yes(passed her all the things wey ma papa write.bank letter,payslip,sponsorship letter,affidavit. just to let her know say my mind dey)
VO: (looked at it for a moment and gave em back). When did you graduate?
Charleeez: 2011
VO: did you take any standardized tests?
Charleeez: Yes, i took the GRE and TOEFL.
VO: what were your scores on the GRE?
Charleeez: I scored 151 on the quantitative and 152 on the verbal. got a 3 on the analytical writing.
VO: ok.( she never asked for the score report...believing my words all the way)
typing...typing...looking at my I 20 form. typing....typing....
:i'm giving you this form so you could pick up your visa on Monday.
I believe you know about the 30days rule ........................................................
(then she started giving lectures on the shortest route to california,,,i kept nodding like i was listening.. but
mehn i was in oblivion.
Handed back my i 20 and retained my passport.
: Have a nice day.
Charleeez: Thanks and have a nice day too.

Lessons:
You make your own luck by your preparation
God approves it!

I spent a life here on Nairaland and i am grateful for all the wonderful contribution of Everybody.
I was only asked for one document(financial statement).
If you are going to lie..please lie wisely and constructively.. those guys are trained psychologists armed to the teeth with techniques in finding out changes in human behavioral patterns.
Try to find the nearest relevance of your intended course to current Nigerian situations.
Look at them in the eyes as much as possible.
And lastly, remember this is just a conversation between two people(only exception is if the person at the other end of the line is the dreaded Chinese lady>>my mum actually booked masses to avoid me getting her!!!

Feel free to direct any questions my way as i would be all too willing to help out.
Thank you all...Thanks.

13 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 30, 2013
Lisadem, your interview was okay but you gave out a lot of "undeserved information" about your sponsor. The VO felt you're a "potential immigrant." There's nothing wrong with your age but your foreign statement of account does not show home ties. Remember you're applying for a non-immigrant visa. Talk more on how your job will help your homeland. And try to get a local statement of account even if it's Dollar Account, no problem. Eg, GTB with USD Account, no problem! Better luck next time!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RedReact: 6:52pm On May 30, 2013
@Charleez, na you dem suppose call "horiginal laya man". Your interview got me laffing. Congratulations.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 7:03pm On May 30, 2013
@onipedey:

Once you update your new DS 160 confirmation number on your appointment profile, you can always print another appointment confirmation letter which will reflect the change(s) you made.

@lisadem

Sorry for the delay man! I agree with some of the probable reason(s) for the denial as stated by some of the house members apart from the age "thing". Your age has nothing to do with the denial. Try make necessary amendments as advised by some of the house members and I believe you'll get it on your next try.

@charleez

Congratulations man! I planned hitting you up on e-mail later in the day to ask how your interview went. I'm glad it went well.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by virginice: 7:48pm On May 30, 2013
@ charleez, u r a smarty. Am proud of u really. Congrats. I don't support lies buh urs, I will support anyday lol. And dat is my research area u even fapped! Am really impressed. Pipu shud construct like u, all praise to Almighty God on ur behalf. Goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 8:05pm On May 30, 2013
Congratulations to everyone who got their visa. Welcome to Obodo Oyinbo.....grin

Charley, there are a lot of Nigerians in Cal. State Long Beach and the city herself. You will enjoy it no doubt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 8:10pm On May 30, 2013
bigfrancis021:

Emirates is so cheap! Lagos to Dubai and back (two-way flight) on economy is just $806 (N128,000)! So damn cheap!

very very cheap oo..enuff nairalanders r goin to jfk with emirates too..atleast 4 r on d same flightr wif me...av u booked and paid for urs, do asap ooo, cos my agent said d thing will hit the roof soon
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 8:14pm On May 30, 2013
virgin ice: @ charleez, u r a smarty. Am proud of u really. Congrats. I don't support lies buh urs, I will support anyday lol. And dat is my research area u even fapped! Am really impressed. Pipu shud construct like u, all praise to Almighty God on ur behalf. Goodluck
Thanks virgin ice..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 8:15pm On May 30, 2013
OjaP: Congratulations to everyone who got their visa. Welcome to Obodo Oyinbo.....grin

Charley, there are a lot of Nigerians in Cal. State Long Beach and the city herself. You will enjoy it no doubt.
Okay man.Small matter of nysc discharge certificate before I make my travel plans.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 8:15pm On May 30, 2013
charleeez: I was granted the F1 visa today at the US embassy at Abuja(8AM appointment)
The below is a reconstruction of the actual event.. This might not be accurate in every detail but i'll give it my best shot(as i no carry tape recorder inside pocket!).

2:15 AM...Got up from bed
stayed awake till dawn admist short prayers and short naps
6:15 AM...left my house for the embassy
Stayed outside the embassy till we were told to come in for our documents to be checked
Then we went into the main building for biometrics.
While we were in line, I took time to analyse how the other applicants were faring.
They were mostly families seeking a visit visa to the US.It was just windows 6&7 that were the officiating VOs.
Window 6(a young lady, i'll say 25 years) Window 7(a man in his late thirties)
They issued visas almost without the faintest hesitation until a yoruba couple can in and pissed the Window 7 guy off. The couple wanted a visit visa for a wedding at Dallas.They left empty handed and that seemed to change the hand of the VOs.
Kept issuing out with a rate of 70-30 with more accepts than rejects.
I instantly fell in a trance imagining the lady was interviewing me. I had the entire interview figured out with all the details in the right place.
The young man just ahead of me stepped up and got rejected for not following the simplest instruction on NAIRALAND.COM
"write standardized tests"
At that moment i felt i was in for very good luck

Here it goes
Before the Interview i begged God for the grace to tell no more than three lies
VO: Hi, how are you doing?
Charleeez:I'm doing good
VO: pass me your documents
CharleeezsadI obliged)
VO: so what are you going to the US for?
Charleeez: Im going for a Masters degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at CSULB
VO: what other schools did you apply to?
Charleeez: UCD,UCR,CSULB,CSUF and SFSU.
VO: Do you have any relative in California?
Charleeez: No( here came lie number 1,, I have an entire village at California)
VO: so how did you get to know about this schools and why did you choose CSULB?
Charleeez: I came across an article on NEW YORK TIMES that was an analysis on the Best state for Electrical Engineering in the US. I found out California was the answer and hence decided i was gonna apply to only schools from that geographical location.(lie number 2)Also i found out that CSULB was involved in collaborative research work with CIT Pasadena on my chosen research interest(lie number 3)
VO: So why did you choose this course?
Charleeez: (I got the answer to this question the moment i got into the embassy and made up my mind i was going to exploit it)Actually im going for a Graduate degree with specific interest in Renewable Energy as an alternative source to Hydroelectric and buring of fossil fuels methods of power generation.
Here came my moment. I asked the VO a question.
Charleeez: Why is the generator at the embassy always on?
VO: (looking baffled) yes, there is never power here it seems.
Charleeez: I want to contribute in bringing renewable energy power generation to help alleviate the strain on the already poor power situation here in Nigeria.
At this moment she had stopped typing and kept listening to me mumbling on...
VO: Okay. very good. so who is sponsoring you.
Charleeez: my dad.
VO: what does he do?
Charleeez: He is a Consultant cardiologist and a professor
i saw the look on her eyes peering right into my soul but i tried not to give her the upper hand and didnt blink in return.
VO: do your have his bank statement.
Charleeez: Yes(passed her all the things wey ma papa write.bank letter,payslip,sponsorship letter,affidavit. just to let her know say my mind dey)
VO: (looked at it for a moment and gave em back). When did you graduate?
Charleeez: 2011
VO: did you take any standardized tests?
Charleeez: Yes, i took the GRE and TOEFL.
VO: what were your scores on the GRE?
Charleeez: I scored 151 on the quantitative and 152 on the verbal. got a 3 on the analytical writing.
VO: ok.( she never asked for the score report...believing my words all the way)
typing...typing...looking at my I 20 form. typing....typing....
:i'm giving you this form so you could pick up your visa on Monday.
I believe you know about the 30days rule ........................................................
(then she started giving lectures on the shortest route to california,,,i kept nodding like i was listening.. but
mehn i was oblivion.
Handed back my i 20 and retained my passport.
: Have a nice day.
Charleeez: Thanks and have a nice day too.

Lessons:
You make your own luck by your preparation
God approves it!

I spent a life here on Nairaland and i am grateful for all the wonderful contribution of Everybody.
I was only asked for one document(financial statement).
If you are going to lie..please lie wisely and constructively.. those guys are trained psychologists armed to the teeth with techniques in finding out changes in human behavioral patterns.
Try to find the nearest relevance of your intended course to current Nigerian situations.
Look at them in the eyes as much as possible.
And lastly, remember this is just a conversation between two people(only exception is if the person at the other end of the line is the dreaded Chinese lady>>my mum actually booked masses to avoid me getting her!!!

Feel free to direct any questions my way as i would be all too willing to help out.
Thank you all...Thanks.

congrats buddy...lesson learnt is weda u lie or speak d truth, just be smart about it..also dey r sometins u cant just lie about..so be smart about ur moves...like the V.O asked why i chose my skool and i told her dats the only skool that offers oil and gas safety..but d skool sef no dey do anytin like dat...
but i love dis chinese woman na, na she give me visa grin smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 8:16pm On May 30, 2013
[quote author=ystd4567]@onipedey:

Once you update your new DS 160 confirmation number on your appointment profile, you can always print another appointment confirmation letter which will reflect the change(s) you made.

@lisadem

Sorry for the delay man! I agree with some of the probable reason(s) for the denial as stated by some of the house members apart from the age "thing". Your age has nothing to do with the denial. Try make necessary amendments as advised by some of the house members and I believe you'll get it on your next try.

@charleez

Congratulations man! I planned hitting you up on e-mail later in the day to ask how your interview went. I'm glad it went well.[/quote
Thanks bro..thanks.
You helped my confidence with that info you gave to me]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:20pm On May 30, 2013
dkgetmuny:

very very cheap oo..enuff nairalanders r goin to jfk with emirates too..atleast 4 r on d same flightr wif me...av u booked and paid for urs, do asap ooo, cos my agent said d thing will hit the roof soon

I already booked and paid since two weeks ago. What's your travel date? Mine's july ending.

So any moment from now, flight prices will skyrocket baa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:28pm On May 30, 2013
charleeez: I was granted the F1 visa today at the US embassy at Abuja(8AM appointment)
The below is a reconstruction of the actual event.. This might not be accurate in every detail but i'll give it my best shot(as i no carry tape recorder inside pocket!)...

Men, a big congratulations to you. You're very smart indeed. I so love your interview. I like the way you handled it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:28pm On May 30, 2013
@charleeez,

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 8:48pm On May 30, 2013
@Charleez....great job bro...smart dude you are.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 8:58pm On May 30, 2013
ApachaiHopachai: @Charleez....great job bro...smart dude you are.
Thanks mayne..Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 8:59pm On May 30, 2013
imperiouxx: @charleeez,

Thanks..nah you try pass
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by charleeez(m): 9:02pm On May 30, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Men, a big congratulations to you. You're very smart indeed. I so love your interview. I like the way you handled it.

Thanks bigfrancis..You guys have littered this forum with so much interview tips and aid on self confidence. I just tried to implement it all

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 9:05pm On May 30, 2013
Charleez! Your interview is Just the bomb!! You were very constructive and showed a very high level of objectivity. Now that's how to handle an American during any interview. Don't lose this skill, because you will find it even more useful when interviewing for jobs here. With this, you have justified my coming to nairaland today despite my strangely busy summer schedule. Thank you very much, I'm grateful for that.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 9:39pm On May 30, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I already booked and paid since two weeks ago. What's your travel date? Mine's july ending.

So any moment from now, flight prices will skyrocket baa?
yes ooo....july is a very busy period for travels...i leave MMIA 21st
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:26pm On May 30, 2013
dkgetmuny:
yes ooo....july is a very busy period for travels...i leave MMIA 21st

Aight.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 10:48pm On May 30, 2013
@Charleez Congratulobia!

Did anyone has the info of how to pay SEVIS in Benin Republic on his or her posts? i need it ASAP.

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 11:15pm On May 30, 2013
seriously i dont understand the 30 homeland security rules, does it mean i must be in the school 30days prior to my resumption day or i cant travel to US until its 30days before resumption date? please house i need help on this.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 11:40pm On May 30, 2013
Kunsoft: @Charleez Congratulobia!

Did anyone has the info of how to pay SEVIS in Benin Republic on his or her posts? i need it ASAP.

Thanks

just walk into any ecobank in seme just after u cross to cotonou, with ur $200,i-20 and ur international passport.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 12:16am On May 31, 2013
bones007:

just walk into any ecobank in seme just after u cross to cotonou, with ur $200,i-20 and ur international passport.

Thanks brother.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 1:19am On May 31, 2013
I'm waiting for the next group of people to give my shayo smiley as a sign of celebrations as usual cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 3:50am On May 31, 2013
imperiouxx: I'm waiting for the next group of people to give my shayo smiley as a sign of celebrations as usual cheesy cheesy

You got mail Bro... smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.