Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,469 members, 7,917,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:44 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (493202 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by topzy2000: 5:17pm On May 31, 2013
Hi Guys,

I just started following this thread after my interview and am amazed about the wealth of information found here.

I did my F1 Visa Interview in Lagos on the 9th of May and was denied. The summary of it all and what I suspected went wrong was I gave the VO a cover letter with Fixed Deposit statement (7million) from my Dad alongside his bank statement which was about 1 Million.

She spent more time looking at the Bank Statement than the Fixed Deposit. Wondered whether I should have put the account statement in the first place.

She then looks at the bank statement and looks up some figures pasted in her cubicle. I guessed there's a certain amount she was looking for or maybe the exchange rates.

My School is IIT (ILLINOIS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY). The fees are quite high and the fee for one year inclusive of accommodation on the I-20 is 36,000 dollars which is roughly 5.8Million. The school has good courses thats why I choose the school despite the costs.

Now I have booked an appointment for next month, I am thinking of taking the 7 Million Fixed Deposit with an account statement of the exact fees for a year (6 Mill). What do you think?

Do I need to get an affidavit that my Dad is sponsoring me or is it necessary? What else do u advise. Other interview questions were ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 31, 2013
imperiouxx:

A stop before Ijesha bus stop when coming from Mile 2.

Lol you seem to have the cognitive map of the whole of lagos grin grin

Gboyega, pls mail me your digits so as to know when exactly to hook up and also track you. Thanks smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:45pm On May 31, 2013
kofsy:

Lol you seem to have the cognitive map of the whole of lagos grin grin

Gboyega, pls mail me your digits so as to know when exactly to meet up and also track you. Thanks smiley

Born and lived 90% of my life in Lagos so far.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 6:23pm On May 31, 2013
@ /imperiouxx pls send mi ur mobile
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by omonaijar: 6:27pm On May 31, 2013
Hello house,

Why does the VO ask how many schools you applied to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 6:48pm On May 31, 2013
omonaijar: Hello house,

To know how serious you are about studying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 31, 2013
fittty:

GRE? undecided you need just SAT and TOEFL for undergraduate studies!

Oh! Thanks, you know I'm a learner.. Plus can u enlighten me on sponsorship stuff, my sponsor is based in America plus we aint related by blood..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:14pm On May 31, 2013
omonaijar: Hello house,

To know how serious you are about studying. The more the number of schools you applied to the more serious you are about studying. Telling them you applied to one school is a big no-no as it indicates to them that you're not serious. That's how they view it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 7:22pm On May 31, 2013
topzy2000: Hi Guys,

I just started following this thread after my interview and am amazed about the wealth of information found here.

I did my F1 Visa Interview in Lagos on the 9th of May and was denied. The summary of it all and what I suspected went wrong was I gave the VO a cover letter with Fixed Deposit statement (7million) from my Dad alongside his bank statement which was about 1 Million.

She spent more time looking at the Bank Statement than the Fixed Deposit. Wondered whether I should have put the account statement in the first place.

She then looks at the bank statement and looks up some figures pasted in her cubicle. I guessed there's a certain amount she was looking for or maybe the exchange rates.

My School is IIT (ILLINOIS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY). The fees are quite high and the fee for one year inclusive of accommodation on the I-20 is 36,000 dollars which is roughly 5.8Million. The school has good courses thats why I choose the school despite the costs.

Now I have booked an appointment for next month, I am thinking of taking the 7 Million Fixed Deposit with an account statement of the exact fees for a year (6 Mill). What do you think?

Do I need to get an affidavit that my Dad is sponsoring me or is it necessary? What else do u advise. Other interview questions were ok.

My best advice to you will be to post your actual interview experience here for us let us see and help you review. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:19pm On May 31, 2013
obsy2020: @ /imperiouxx pls send mi ur phone number I need some info pls 080xxxxxxxx.

Here or my email is the best place to catch me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by rockyeweka(m): 8:38pm On May 31, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]I applied for masters in finance in texas A/m university of commerce for summer 2013, which is june . The problem am having now is that mt form I-20 came in a lil bit late. Am booking an appointment for this june at the abuja consulate, I don't know if this is gonna affect my interview at the consulate or at the port of entry when am issued the visa. Pls I really need response from gurus in the house.
(
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 8:57pm On May 31, 2013
imperiouxx:

Downloading now but expect from me by tomorrow.

Thanks Bro.... will be on the look out for your reply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 8:58pm On May 31, 2013
when exactly is your school resumption date ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 9:01pm On May 31, 2013
@olarwarlay i need you badly how we go take talk now u fit inbox me on how to update u he dey very urgent ...............
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 9:04pm On May 31, 2013
GboyegaD: At last I finally could log into nairaland.
I got my visiting visa yesterday and it was very interesting. All I was asked was if I have graduated and why I am applying for a US visiting visa.
Kofsy, how do I get the book across?
gboyega i need to ask u some qutns o. hw do i reach u pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:07pm On May 31, 2013
teejay_GO01: @lisadem, u did well in ur interview, I'll advise u not to change ur sponspor just get his Naira or Cedi statement. God s favour will go with us and we will share our testimony.
@ charlezee congrats!! I have already learnt some tips form u

Hello guys pls if u see a date PM me abeg, @bigfrancis the last time u saw a date I had already exceeded my limit for viewing the site so I cudnt get it sad

And pls u guys shud say thanks to Ojap and shoggie for me oh! They are so encouraging! And Prof Ojap even called me cheesy

I hope your bank statement issue has been rectified? When are you going for your next interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:09pm On May 31, 2013
adewale3342: i got only one worry now . i did not write the GRE and i have my interview for June , it seems everyone who got interviewed was asked about this . now i wish i wrote GRE instead of TOEFL in the first place

You're sounding like you've already started to lose hope. Please don't. Be brave, prepare your answers in well-structured precise sentences, and speak confidently. There are people who went without TOEFL and GRE and still passed their interview. AnthonyMighty is one of them. You might want to borrow a cue from him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 9:13pm On May 31, 2013
charleeez:

Bro..it means this..suppose your school Is resuming on the 30th of July, the earliest you can enter the US is on the 1st of July..You cannot enter anytime in june but as from 1, 2, 3, 4,.......30th of July you can get into their country. Hope this helps you

i now understand better, thanks alot bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:19pm On May 31, 2013
rockyeweka: I applied for masters in finance in texas A/m university of commerce for summer 2013, which is june . The problem am having now is that mt form I-20 came in a lil bit late. Am booking an appointment for this june at the abuja consulate, I don't know if this is gonna affect my interview at the consulate or at the port of entry when am issued the visa. Pls I really need response from gurus in the house.

What exactly do you think will affect your interview? Is it that your school resumption date is nearby and you fear that entering the US after the school's resumption date will affect you at the POE? Well, the main issue is knowing if your school will accept you if you're 1/2 weeks late. Some US schools tolerate late resumption and some don't. Its left to you to find out from your school and be sure that you'll still be able to resume school if you get there 1/2 weeks late. The POE is not much of a problem.
You can always tell them your school accepted that you resume late, if they ask.

Book your interview soonest and go for it quickly. My cousin got an interview date for June 12 for Lagos last night. Or better still, call the embassy and request for an expedited interview date. Explain your situation to them. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 9:37pm On May 31, 2013
@ adewale3342.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 9:43pm On May 31, 2013
Pls guys, jst wanna knw wot u tink. Can u help me compare & gif hints abt d cost of living in dese American cities; texas, ohio, utah, california, florida and New jersey. Am luking @ d cost of living b4 applyin 2 schs. Thanx.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:52pm On May 31, 2013
Dot1: Pls guys, jst wanna knw wot u tink. Can u help me compare & gif hints abt d cost of living in dese American cities; texas, ohio, utah, california, florida and New jersey. Am luking @ d cost of living b4 applyin 2 schs. Thanx.

Mennn...you see those places? Cost of living na like VI/Lekki as compared to Ojuelegba!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 9:57pm On May 31, 2013
adewale3342: i got only one worry now . i did not write the GRE and i have my interview for June , it seems everyone who got interviewed was asked about this . now i wish i wrote GRE instead of TOEFL in the first place

Is not too late to write the GRE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 10:09pm On May 31, 2013
Dot1: Pls guys, jst wanna knw wot u tink. Can u help me compare & gif hints abt d cost of living in dese American cities; texas, ohio, utah, california, florida and New jersey. Am luking @ d cost of living b4 applyin 2 schs. Thanx.

Texas, Ohio and Utah are on the low side (lower than u.s average). NJ and California are relatively expensive. U can check out http://www.cityrating.com/costofliving.asp
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2013
kofsy:

Saturday? You mean tomorrow? Okay no problem... Is it the Ayo ni o along oshodi?

Yes please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by rockyeweka(m): 11:01pm On May 31, 2013
bigfrancis21:

What exactly do you think will affect your interview? Is it that your school resumption date is nearby and you fear that entering the US after the school's resumption date will affect you at the POE? Well, the main issue is knowing if your school will accept you if you're 1/2 weeks late. Some US schools tolerate late resumption and some don't. Its left to you to find out from your school and be sure that you'll still be able to resume school if you get there 1/2 weeks late. The POE is not much of a problem.
You can always tell them your school accepted that you resume late, if they ask.

Book your interview soonest and go for it quickly. My cousin got an interview date for June 12 for Lagos last night. Or better still, call the embassy and request for an expedited interview date. Explain your situation to them. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.
thanks a lot for the advice, I appreciate a lot, I will do as u said.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 11:08pm On May 31, 2013
fadinus:
gboyega i need to ask u some qutns o. hw do i reach u pls

You may ask it here so that others can help out as well or you could send me a pm.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 11:21pm On May 31, 2013
utah and ohio are cheap
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 2:52am On Jun 01, 2013
olsmade:

Texas, Ohio and Utah are on the low side (lower than u.s average). NJ and California are relatively expensive. U can check out http://www.cityrating.com/costofliving.asp
Thanks for dis.
dkgetmuny:
utah and ohio are cheap
I appreciate
bigfrancis21:

Mennn...you see those places? Cost of living na like VI/Lekki as compared to Ojuelegba!
Lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Adolite(m): 2:55am On Jun 01, 2013
topzy2000: Hi Guys,

WHY WOULD YOU WANNA SPEND 5.8Millions just for 1 YEAR where some people are paying less amount or even FREE
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 3:49am On Jun 01, 2013
smithjanetstore: @olarwarlay i need you badly how we go take talk now u fit inbox me on how to update u he dey very urgent ...............

Just logged in to see your post, check your inbox when You see this.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 7:38am On Jun 01, 2013
Yay! June is here, praying for and expecting success stories from all pending Visa interviews.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (401)

Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.