Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,617 members, 7,888,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:28 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (491396 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:36am On Jun 02, 2013
Kunsoft:
Nodding of head means 'fool continue ur super story when they've concluded ur case since' lol.
grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:42am On Jun 02, 2013
chatdare: I am about to apply to a school in utah,they don't make toefl compulsory before apply they stated that will will conduct a test of english on arival at the school,that is when they will decide if toefl will be taken. My question goes thus:
1 Plz I want to know if dis is nt going to affect my f-1 visa at d embassy ?
2.I want to know if it is compulsory that the sponsor's surname must tally with the applicant's surname ?

1) Even if your school doesn't demand for TOEFL now, its advisable that you take at least one standardized test for the interview's sake.

2) No, its not compulsory that the sponsor's surname tallies with the applicant's name. On financial statements, what matters more to the VOs is the available sum of money. The relationship to the person sponsoring then comes next in line.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:00am On Jun 02, 2013
topzy2000:

Bros n nairaland peeps. Na the full interview be this o

Vo:Pass me your docs
Me: Morning. I passed them

Vo:So where are you going
Me:Chicago

Vo: To do what
Me: To pursue a Masters Prog in Information Technology and Mgmt
Its already on the I-20 form. Abi she no dey see

Vo: Which School ?
Me: IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology)

Vo: Why do you want to study this course
Me: The program has research in wireless technologies like Wimax, CDMA, 3G, 4G technologies some of which are not in nigeria or are presently under development. I intend to expand my knowledge on this and come back to work in Nigeria as consultant/expertriate blah blah blah. cant remember all i said

Vo just keeps nodding like she wants to head a soccer ball and types on the computer.

Vo: Who is sponsoring you
Me: My Dad

Vo: What does he do
Me: He's retired but he works as an Engineering consultant and is also in real estate.

She just keeps typing on the computer

Vo: Can I see your financial statements
Me: I passed them.

I had a Fixed Deposit of 7 Million and a Bank Statement of 1 Million. I had a covering letetr on top, then the Fixed deposit then the bank statement. She just flipped everything to the bank statement, ignoring the covering letter and the fixed deposit. I was just wondering why cos the fixed deposit is what has most of the money. She looks at the 1 Million bank statement then looks at something written on her table, maybe dollar conversion rates or minimum amount for the school. She then passed the docs back to me. I was telling her from over the counter that a Fixed Deposit was included but she just says ok.

The I-20 form says minimum for 1 yr is 36k dollars which is 5.8 Mill naira which the FD clearly covers.

Vo: When did you graduate
Me: 4 years ago

Vo: Where do you work and what do you do
Me: I am a Network Engineer with Bleep Company. My job is to improve customer experience on the mobile network which include voice and data services. I sha yarned alot

She just dey type like say she dey work for business centre. Then she hands me the 214(b) paper.

She didnt ask about my GRE.

This chic no fit old pass me.

Now the plan is to apply again later in June. I am thinking this time of carrying a personal account worth the 1 year fee of 5.8Mil and the Fixed deposit of 7Mil.
Maybe I should put the Fixed deposit on top so they can see it boldly before they look at any statement or what do you think?

Getting affidavit for sponsorship, is it necessary ? I strongly feel the bank statement was the problem. Is there any other thing I might need

Also getting dates what is the best way? I tried refreshing the calendar page for visa appointment but after a couple of times it tells me I have reached the limit and till the next day.I tried loggin out and loggin in, its also the same thing.

What are the tricks for getting this date thing? I don't believe in paying a huge amount of money just to get date.

Omo I type gan for here. Any ideas and suggestions please. Thanks.

From your full interview, I strongly feel that your main problem was the financial statement part. Honestly, you really did well. As you've planned, going back with a personal statement reflecting at least N5.8m will be ok.

Then another less-known factor about this whole interview thing is the likeness factor. Always pray that the VO who interviews you once he/she sees you will have some likeness for you because it really helps at times in making them grant you visa. I somehow believe that some people who got their visas, especially those who their interviews were very short that did not last up to a minute, were gainers of this likeness issue, also called favour.

Life's a funny place indeed. The VO sees a certain candidate and likes him/her immediately and immediately decides to grant him/her visa under less than a minute even without asking for GRE/bank statement, etc. And the VO will see another person and immediately decide in his mind to deny him/her under the same less than a minute. God's favour is really important. Its always good we pray for it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by topzy2000: 1:10am On Jun 02, 2013
bigfrancis21:

From your full interview, I strongly feel that your main problem was the financial statement part. Honestly, you really did well. As you've planned, going back with a personal statement reflecting at least N5.8m will be ok.

Then another less-known factor about this whole interview thing is the likeness factor. Always pray that the VO who interviews you once he/she sees you will have some likeness for you because it really helps at times in making them grant you visa. I somehow believe that some people who got their visas, especially those who their interviews were very short that did not last up to a minute, were gainers of this likeness issue, also called favour.

Life's a funny place indeed. The VO sees a certain candidate and likes him/her immediately and immediately decides to grant him/her visa under less than a minute even without asking for GRE/bank statement, etc. And the VO will see another person and immediately decide in his mind to deny him/her under the same less than a minute. God's favour is really important. Its always good we pray for it.

Thanks for the advice. My total trust is on God now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by virginice: 6:40am On Jun 02, 2013
Congrats on ur admsn, u don't av a problem dear. Tell d VO u applied to 3-4 schs and dis admsn came first plus dis is ur first choice outa all d schs u applied to because bla bla bla (give ur reason for choosin dis sch). You'll do great @ ur interview on d 24th, BFL dear.
Datty85: Got my i-20 from Southern Illinois university. But the problem is I applied to only dis school. Don't know what to do. My interview is on the 24th of June. Pls house I need help

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by iamchux: 7:02am On Jun 02, 2013
bigfrancis21:

God's favour is really important. Its always good we pray for it.

Sincere Fact...! God's favor supersedes any oda favor...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Datty85: 7:45am On Jun 02, 2013
Thanks a lot guys...I appreciate it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gbemonology1: 8:41am On Jun 02, 2013
Hi guys, is it compulsory to stork-in when going for interview? I will be going for my interview next week and would like to know if its compulsory to stork-in to the venue. Most times l feel comfortable when my shirt is stork-out. Would like to know the gurus view about this...tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 02, 2013
fittty:

No its not. Take sat/tofel exams first and do very well. You never can tell. You could get a scholarship

Thanks for ur time sir.. I will take d exams but my sponsor is a native of america, my dad aint a millionaire,.. My question are :
1. Can anyone sponsor me apart from my parents/family..
2. Can you simply explain the 120days stuff ?
3. I will be staying with someone in Minn. Will the living expenses be removed ?
Thanks in answering
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 9:42am On Jun 02, 2013
gbemonology1: Hi guys, is it compulsory to stork-in when going for interview? I will be going for my interview next week and would like to know if its compulsory to stork-in to the venue. Most times l feel comfortable when my shirt is stork-out. Would like to know the gurus view about this...tnx
i think u meant TUCK IN, bro just make sure u look neat n presentable, i tnk it would b better if u have ur shirt tucked in.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 9:43am On Jun 02, 2013
gbemonology1: Hi guys, is it compulsory to stork-in when going for interview? I will be going for my interview next week and would like to know if its compulsory to stork-in to the venue. Most times l feel comfortable when my shirt is stork-out. Would like to know the gurus view about this...tnx

grin grin grin

Which one is stork-in?

It's not a must you tuck in your shirt. Just dress decently and be presentable

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2013
Pls someone should help me.. I'm just too curious.. My question are :
1. Can anyone sponsor me apart from my
parents/family..
2. Can you simply explain the 120days stuff ?
3. I will be staying with someone in Minn. Will
the living expenses be removed ?
Thanks in answering
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 9:58am On Jun 02, 2013

In my own opinion, I think your shirt is better tucked in. Makes You look smart and kinda more presentable.

I'd advise You keep it tucked in even though it makes You feel uncomfortable like You said. At least You'll be free to even fly your collar once You are out of the embassy and holding the pick up slip.

Remember, anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.

Best of luck in your interview!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by odowetalu(m): 10:59am On Jun 02, 2013
hey guys...I'm not really new here cause I have Been here before. That's when I applied to a cc but now it's different I got admission into university of Houston..I'm waiting for my i-20. just wondering if there's anything new I should know.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by chatdare(m): 11:05am On Jun 02, 2013
fittty:

Take the test for the embassy purpose. And no its not compulsory you have the same name with your sponsors
@Fitty thanks so much for ur response,pls which one is cheaper and easier to pass btwn Toefl and IELTS ? And where do i take the exam here in lagos ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:31am On Jun 02, 2013
chatdare:
@Fitty thanks so much for ur response,pls which one is cheaper and easier to pass btwn Toefl and IELTS ? And where do i take the exam here in lagos ?

It's hard to say one is easier than the other. It all depends on your preference considering the kinda exam format. For me, I find toefl more appealing as it's iBT (internet based test) and u complete all the 4 sections within 3-4hrs. Story plenti about the test...
On the venue, there are numerous prometric centres in the country.if u live in Lagos, u can try FirstLogic at Oba Akran road Ikeja. Wish u all da best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 11:34am On Jun 02, 2013

I don't think it matters. Just be comfortable in whatever you wear.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gbemonology1: 11:37am On Jun 02, 2013
@all...thanks so much, l really appreciate ur comments..it shall be my turn soon to give testimony here..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 02, 2013
lisadem:
It's hard to say one is easier than the other. It all depends on your preference considering the kinda exam format. For me, I find toefl more appealing as it's iBT (internet based test) and u complete all the 4 sections within 3-4hrs. Story plenti about the test...
On the venue, there are numerous prometric centres in the country.if u live in Lagos, u can try FirstLogic at Oba Akran road Ikeja. Wish u all da best.

What about Ibadan n ogun state
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 12:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
Amefrica:

What about Ibadan n ogun state

I know about this prometric centre - GNT Bodija Terminal House 2, Oshin Street, Kongi U.I Secretarial road Bodija. No idea about Ogun state...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2013
My guy what you wear matters a lot, let's not forget the quote 'you are addressed the way you dress'. Interviews are all about comportment and self branding and I must say if you've got a blazer, dress shirt, Tie, pants and a nice shoe that'll be excellent. Dress sense also boosts your confidence level and the VO will see you as a mature and respectable person. Trust me you don't wanna go there in jeans and polo. Go ace the interview!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 02, 2013
lisadem:

I know about this prometric centre - GNT Bodija Terminal House 2, Oshin Street, Kongi U.I Secretarial road Bodija. No idea about Ogun state...

I live close to Bodija (Akobo) but the prometric centre seems to long.. Are they different centres or one.. Pls try to number it.. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by 2chains1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
syahboy: My guy what you wear matters a lot, let's not forget the quote 'you are addressed the way you dress'. Interviews are all about comportment and self branding and I must say if you've got a blazer, dress shirt, Tie, pants and a nice shoe that'll be excellent. Dress sense also boosts your confidence level and the VO will see you as a mature and respectable person. Trust me you don't wanna go there in jeans and polo. Go ace the interview!

Bros cool down its not a job interview. its a short 10min question and answer session with you standing by a counter where you waist isn't showing sef. What you wear doesn't count that much. If you like wear tuxedo if dem wan bounce you dem go bounce you.. It wouldn't count for anything. And remember it is a till, the VO can't see wether you tuck in or not. These interviews are more mentally based than physical. Just be confident finish. You can't tell me I walk in for the interview with all my documents intact and I would be rejected cuz I'm wearing a polo and jeans.

NOte: they are interested in your credibility of your claims and what you are going to do in the US.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by raised2glory: 12:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
@lisadem, there are enough centers in both Lagos and IB this month and next month.
Abeokuta do not have a center. Let me know if you interested in registering your toefl for almost half the price.
Have fun bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 12:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
raised2glory: @lisadem, there are enough centers in both Lagos and IB this month and next month.
Abeokuta do not have a center. Let me know if you interested in registering your toefl for almost half the price.
Have fun bro

Why should he let you know? Do u work with toefl?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
raised2glory: @lisadem, there are enough centers in both Lagos and IB this month and next month.
Have fun bro

Bro I wanna register for this stuffs as soon as possible, I school in ogun state but live in IB.. I would prefer IB centre to Ogun state.. Pls bro help me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
2-chains:

Bros cool down its not a job interview. its a short 10min question and answer session with you standing by a counter where you waist isn't showing sef. What you wear doesn't count that much. If you like wear tuxedo if dem wan bounce you dem go bounce you.. It wouldn't count for anything. And remember it is a till, the VO can't see wether you tuck in or not. These interviews are more mentally based than physical. Just be confident finish. You can't tell me I walk in for the interview with all my documents intact and I would be rejected cuz I'm wearing a polo and jeans.

NOte: they are interested in your credibility of your claims and what you are going to do in the US.
I replied to make a point which I believe I've made, I'm in no mood for arguments or melodrama. I'm well aware everyone has opinions(even when its bullshit) and I also know attitude is a big factor. Like I said earlier the way you dress is directly proportional to your level of confidence and I find it imperative to say that anything worth doing is worth doing well. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 12:54pm On Jun 02, 2013
Amefrica:

I live close to Bodija (Akobo) but the prometric centre seems to long.. Are they different centres or one.. Pls try to number it.. Thanks

The exam is written at CBT center opposite Awolowo hall university of ibadan. You don't have to go there to register. Just go online www​.ets.org/toefl and register for a date in ibadan. It cost just $175 that's N27,000 and u get to pay with you naira visa card
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
fittty:

The exam is written at CBT center opposite Awolowo hall university of ibadan. You don't have to go there to register. Just go online www​.ets.org/toefl and register for a date in ibadan. It cost just $175 that's N27,000 and u get to pay with you naira visa card

Thanks, what about SAT..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 12:59pm On Jun 02, 2013
chatdare:

Go online toefl website. www​.ets.org/toefl. You'll get a date and center in lagos. It cost just $175 and u pay with your naira visa card

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Italian Student Visa-help! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.