Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,819 members, 7,889,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:30 PM

A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (11153 Views)

Jonathan And Patience On The Page Of A Kenyan Newspaper / Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by oloriooko(m): 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
@ OP

very nice piece and thanks for sharing it with us
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Eziachi: 6:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
Mazi Chinua Nwa-Achebe, just as Nasio Fontaine will sing-
A prophet is never, will ever be honoured in his own land. You are an epitome of that truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OlHgLiz0Os

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 6:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
I say shame to Nobel Prize Committee for overlooking Achebe because of his critical essay against Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and the gauntlet Things Fall Apart threw at the foot of colonialism and imperialism.

I have long noticed the award from the so-called laureate organization is to promote primordial class distinction based on European's figment of imagination and to perpetuate inferior mentality.

12 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by DukeNija(m): 7:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
^^
It was even an issue on Bbc.
Why was he not given a Nobel prize.
They believed he fought colonalism and black dominance by the Whites and didn't want to honour that, in other not to encourage it.

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by aryzgreat: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dede1: I say shame to Nobel Prize Committee for overlooking Achebe because of his critical essay against Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and the gauntlet Things Fall Apart threw at the foot of colonialism and imperialism.

I have long noticed the award from the so-called laureate organization is to promote primordial class distinction based on European's figment of imagination and to perpetuate inferior mentality.

Nobel prize is just an award, compare dat with d likes of Gani fahwenmi who got 3rd class but was among d best in law practice in Nigeria. Am nt pertubed by their denying him d award, His works and encomiums being poured on him will outlive any Nobel awarded him.

@ topic, its glaring that Achebe touched livess, he made many of us have a sense of belonging as Africans through his writtings. The home champions trying hard to dent his records have failed woefully.

Weldone Kenyan writer. Adieu sir!

4 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 7:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
aryzgreat:

Nobel prize is just an award, compare dat with d likes of Gani fahwenmi who got 3rd class but was among d best in law practice in Nigeria. Am nt pertubed by their denying him d award, His works and encomiums being poured on him will outlive any Nobel awarded him.

@ topic, its glaring that Achebe touched livess, he made many of us have a sense of belonging as Africans through his writtings. The home champions trying hard to dent his records have failed woefully.

I am not perturbed by the seemingly open denial of the award to Achebe. It has even downed on me that Achebe would have been the first person ever walked the surface of the earth to reject the Nobel Prize if awarded to him.

The discussion surrounding Achebe’s death had provided the opportunity to educate some loudmouthed Yoruba peeps that Nobel Prize is a mere dog collar tag.

5 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by zibe(m): 7:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
And some people here would dare open their mouths to castigate him and ask what he has contributed to the country's development. Yup, he definitely contributed to many people's intellectual development, myself inclusive.

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ikeyman00(m): 7:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
@@@

This thread has once again goes to clarify issues for the haters and the dumpy deluders on disperse!

yes u and the MR and MRS Amala Ewedu ; do u have anymore question plz?

people plz desist from hating the truth as we cannot carry on like that

3 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 25, 2013
BBC News - Remembering Achebe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1fr00Ru80
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Litmus: 7:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
Perhaps some Nigerians owe Kenyans apology...

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ozodimgba(m): 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
Now i understand fully when my people says that ''a prophet is not respected in his home town''.

A very nice one coming from a Kenyan to my irreplaceable prof. If Nigerians cant honour u without controversy i think this is as good as the honour u deserve from home. RIP Chinualumogu! RIP prof.!! RIP nwaezeigbo!!!

3 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
Potential war looming
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by aryzgreat: 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2013
While they are still whinning, Achebe will be given a state burial!
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by intrepid: 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2013
~vicky~:
the torrent of tributes from all over the world show that prof. chinua achebe was a great man. may his soul rest in peace.
THANKS Vicky.someone should tell Olumide and co to read this.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by intrepid: 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2013
~vicky~:
the torrent of tributes from all over the world show that prof. chinua achebe was a great man. may his soul rest in peace.
THANKS Vicky.someone should tell Olumide and co who found nothing good in Achebe to read this.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by intrepid: 8:53pm On Mar 25, 2013
aryzgreat:

Dont mind them my brother o.Achebe is like an Iroko used wether they like it or not,in life and in death.I read wat one guy wrote here On NL and i really saw the ppl who hate good tings.Nobel or no nobel he was the greatest.

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 8:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
Dede1:

The discussion surrounding Achebe’s death had provided the opportunity to educate some loudmouthed Yoruba peeps that Nobel Prize is a mere dog collar tag.

Loser talk and syndrome. I feel your pain..
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by PointB: 9:02pm On Mar 25, 2013
Nice one Op,
A very refreshing reminder of the reach of the erudite proffessor - Chinua Achebe. May he rest in perfect peace.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Wizemmanuel(m): 9:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
Greater tins are to come,though he died africa will never forget him. African legend. R.I.P
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by PHIPEX(m): 9:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Ile:

Loser talk and syndrome. I fell your pain..

If a man's worth is measured by the number of awards he received then Nigeria's greatest legends will be all those politicians that are constantly awarded GCON, GCOR, OON, etc. Victor Ikpeba was a great player and won the African footballer of the year, Okocha never won such recognition but you and I know who is a better player among the two. The Nobel is a great award and whoever wins it should be celebrated but it doesn't mean that those who were denied it for obvious reasons are not worth their values.

@ PointB, is this your signature for real? shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by pendo89(f): 9:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
lovely. rip
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Delafruita(m): 9:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

If a man's worth is measured by the number of awards he received then Nigeria's greatest legends will be all those politicians that are constantly awarded GCON, GCOR, OON, etc. Victor Ikpeba was a great player and won the African footballer of the year, Okocha never won such recognition but you and I know who is a better player among the two. The Nobel is a great award and whoever wins it should be celebrated but it doesn't mean that those who were denied it for obvious reasons are not worth their values.

and your point is?
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Zonacom(m): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Ile:

Loser talk and syndrome. I fell your pain..
Gbagaun!
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Delafruita(m): 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
zibe: And some people here would dare open their mouths to castigate him and ask what he has contributed to the country's development. Yup, he definitely contributed to many people's intellectual development, myself inclusive.
of course he contributed a lot.he spent many years in prison...ooohh that was soyinka.he fought to keep nigeria one...ooohhh no..he actually served in the biafran government

i love his oratory and his styleof writing.but as for contribution to the development of the nation,no single writer comes close to wole soyinka.he notm only writes against the government,he acts and outs himself in the line of fire.i dont remember achebe been bundled into jail.or been teargassed by the police during a protest
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by PHIPEX(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
Delafruita:
and your point is?

Read it again, if you still don't understand read it for the third and fourth time am sure you will understand it by then.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 9:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

Another loser talk. This joker is even comparing his comedic Nigerian awards with the Nobel.

No ultimate award like the Nobel in your line of work means you are not the best. PERIOD.

What's next? Olympic Gold medal is not important to an Olympic athlete?

What a loser..
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Delafruita(m): 9:51pm On Mar 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

Read it again, if you still don't understand read it for the third and fourth time am sure you will understand it by then.
inferiority complex is when you consistently try to downgrade the achievement of others in a bid to find some value for your meagre accomplishments.imagine some bozos attempting to diminish the value of a nobel prize.we dont pray for soyinka to die yet,but when he does,you will see,hear and feel the accolades from all over the world.why?because soyinka isnt just renowned for his literary prowess,he is renowned for his activism in nigeria and beyond.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by IGBOSON1: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
Zona.com:
Achebe wrote his memoir of the civil war. In his words, i say to you haters: 'If you dont like achebe's memoir, write yours'. Cant you guys just see that your envious criticisms cant remove anything from achebe's achievement? You ask what his contributions were to nigeria, was he the governor of your state or the president of your country? As a writer, he brought out not just nigeria but the whole africa the way it is to the world and you guys sit before your monitor and type rubish. HATING IS A DISEASE. PLS STOP HATING

^^^Correction bros: HATING IS A TERMINAL DISEASE, and it can only end when the 'carrier' takes a leaping dive (butt nak/ed) into Lagos lagoon.....with a dead-weight tied round their neck!
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by OurYansh: 10:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
Bwahahahaha!!!

So because the hateful, bitter and tribalistic bigot failed to win the Nobel Prize, Heebo folks are trying hard to downgrade the worth of the prize....

I dey laff oooo!!!

cheesy cheesy
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by PHIPEX(m): 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2013
Delafruita:
inferiority complex is when you consistently try to downgrade the achievement of others in a bid to find some value for your meagre accomplishments.imagine some bozos attempting to diminish the value of a nobel prize.we dont pray for soyinka to die yet,but when he does,you will see,hear and feel the accolades from all over the world.why?because soyinka isnt just renowned for his literary prowess,he is renowned for his activism in nigeria and beyond.

This is the reason I told you to read my comment over and over again, am sure you don't understand what I said. I didn't downgrade Soyinka and never will I because he is a great Icon I respect. I was trying to say that if some other persons who equally merit it were denied, it should not be taken to mean that they are less than what they are. They are as great as those who won it at least going by their works and public perception.

"Those whose palm kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble."...Achebe
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Soso990240(m): 10:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
Our Yansh: Bwahahahaha!!!

So because the hateful, bitter and tribalistic bigot failed to win the Nobel Prize, Heebo folks are trying hard to downgrade the worth of the prize....

I dey laff oooo!!!

cheesy cheesy
who downgrade d award..u de see double? They said that u won it doesnt mean u ar d best.okocha neva won Afoy award,victor ikpeba did.does it mean dat ikpeba is beta dan okocha? Hell no.read meanin b4 u comment next time.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Soso990240(m): 10:25pm On Mar 25, 2013
Hating bast.ards dn hide their face in shame.a man u said didnt contribut anythng 2 our country is bein appreciatd in other countries..ask urself why they ar honouring him.d same thng he did 2 other countries,is what he did here..so why sayin he did ntin?..by d way,why d thread neva hit d 20th page? I gues amala and gbegiri dn jump d topic pass.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"APC Will Expose PDP In Court" - Oshiomhole Says / Senator Akpabio Sends Akwa Ibomites Into Wild Jubilation Over Victory At Tribuna / Osun APC Primaries: Stop Oyetola’s Impunity - Aggrieved Aspirants Tell Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.