Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,821 members, 7,889,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:55 PM

A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (11154 Views)

Jonathan And Patience On The Page Of A Kenyan Newspaper / Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Soso990240(m): 10:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
If una like make una hit una head 4 tiled road,Achebe was d greatest in his field..him gap soyinka wit much distance.u musn't cary placard b4 we feel ur impact. R.I.P Boss.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 10:40pm On Mar 25, 2013
Soso990240: If una like make una hit una head 4 tiled road,Achebe was d greatest in his field..him gap soyinka wit much distance.u musn't cary placard b4 we feel ur impact. R.I.P Boss.

Nobel winner = Not the best

Zero Nobel winner = The best?

If you are around the Igbo all you hear are boasts about his real and imaginary accomplishments. He is very vainglory seeking.

http://www.igbofocus.com/html/the_igbo_problem_can_be_fixed.html

ibo logic is always upside down logic..
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 10:44pm On Mar 25, 2013
To many Black Americans, Chinua Achebe's novel was our first experience with Africa.

I was saddened to hear of his passing, but his novels will give him immortality.

3 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by nd07(m): 10:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
A man who poured out his spirit. whose content of his mind is a blessing to nations. i first heard about his death frm a South African. Live on Prof.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by SIRKOL(m): 11:12pm On Mar 25, 2013
ROSSIKE: [size=15pt]No longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the People[/size]

Tribute to Chinua Achebe

Updated Saturday, March 23 2013 at 11:40 GMT+3

By Peter Nguli

If a child washed his hands he could eat with kings. But Eneke the bird says that since men have learnt to shoot without missing, he has learnt to fly without perching. Those are the words of Chinua Achebe.

The death of Chinua Achebe is a great loss for the African continent. Achebe was famous as much for what he represented as for what he had written – an emblem of a continent finding its voice. Every child in Africa grew up with Achebe.

It's only fair to pay tributes in a novel compilation for Achebe and other great African writers. When you are no longer at ease, things fall apart for a man of the people along the anthills of the savanna.

The leopard got his claws because Chike and the river ran across the bridge in the river between and shouted, 'Weep not child', because you brought betrayal in the city but don't despair because the beautiful ones are not yet born. Chinua Achebe, you shaped my literature and command of the English language. I offer you a grain of wheat.

I remember the proverbs that you taught us because as you said, among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.

I say this because whenever you see a toad running in broad daylight, you know that something is after its life. And when a mad man walks around nake.d, it is his kinsmen who feel shame, not himself.

You were brave and it is praiseworthy to be brave and fearless, but sometimes it is better to be a coward. Because we often stand in the compound of a coward to point at the ruins of where a brave man used to live.

For when a handshake goes beyond the elbow, you know that it has turned into something else. Those whose palm kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble. You were humble enough professor Achebe. As I stare at your death coffin, the eye is not harmed by sleep. You said that he who has people is richer than he who has money.

So if you want to eat a toad you look for a fat and juicy one. You said that an old woman is always uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb. So be at ease because you said that if you don't like someone's story, write your own.

To me, being an intellectual doesn't mean knowing about intellectual issues; it means taking pleasure in them. For when the moon is shining the cripple becomes hungry for a walk. There is no story that is not true. Perhaps down in his heart, Okonkwo was not a cruel man. But his whole life was dominated by fear, the fear of failure and of weakness.

Chinua Achebe, you are still alive and I wish you long life. You will never die because we and our future generations will read your works forever.

Do not despair. I know you will not despair. You have a manly and a proud heart. A proud heart can survive a general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.

Otherwise, the lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree said he would praise himself if no one else did. When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool. Rest in peace Chinua Achebe.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000079965&story_title=Kenya-No-longer-at-ease,-things-fall-apart-for-a-man-of-the-People
my regret is dat i didnt see Chinua Achebe b4 he died cry
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by badassnigga(m): 11:14pm On Mar 25, 2013
tellwsdom: So this man is so respected than Obama??..WOW..Lovely

self delusion ....that war monger.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by badassnigga(m): 11:15pm On Mar 25, 2013
SIR KOL!:
my regret is dat i didnt see Chinua Achebe b4 he died cry

u can still see him na ...just drink otapiapia

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by badassnigga(m): 11:16pm On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Ile:

Nobel winner = Not the best

Zero Nobel winner = The best?

ibo logic is always upside down logic..

on point grin
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by oxfordman(m): 11:29pm On Mar 25, 2013
FROM HAFEEZ SHONAIKE AKOLAWOLE
TO
PROFFESSOR CHINUA ACHEBE;
THE LIVING DEAD

the living DEAD
in all your days HERE
everywhere you were HEARD

your words that SPREAD
changed minds of HUNDRED
woke brains that are DEAD

people heard of your DEATH
they thought it has com to END
"everything has fallen apart" people SAID

oh! that might be true , but not by your DEATH
you put it in balance, not by your BREATH
but by the words from your HEAD

those words that rises the sun at the time of SUNSET
those words that will forever be SIGHTED

your soul might be DEAD
but your words have defeated DEATH

you let not gold to take off your self RESPECT
you have lived so WELL
that your living even pleases DEATH

the historians of the LEGEND
forgeting your dids, is what they would not DARE

in the quest for GREATNESS
you are perfectly a role MODEL

if the living still tap from your INTELLIGENCE
truly, you are the living DEAD
IN PEACE YOU REST;
PROFFESSOR CHINUA ACHEBE.[b]FROM HAFEEZ SHONAIKE AKOLAWOLE
TO
THE LIVING DEAD

the living DEAD
in all your days HERE

your words that SPREAD
changed minds of HUNDRED

your soul might be DEAD

you have lived so WELL

IN PEACE YOU REST;
PROFFESSOR CHINUA ACHEBE.[/b]FROM HAFEEZ SHONAIKE AKOLAWOLE
TO
THE LIVING DEAD

the living DEAD
in all your days HERE

your words that SPREAD
changed minds of HUNDRED

your soul might be DEAD

you have lived so WELL

IN PEACE YOU REST;
PROFFESSOR CHINUA ACHEBE.

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
Eko Ile:

Another loser talk. This joker is even comparing his comedic Nigerian awards with the Nobel.

You're an absolute idio.t to insult the Nigerian merit awards. If you've no respect for this country then get your nasty, dirty self off this thread and off this forum.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 12:10am On Mar 26, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You're an absolute idio.t to insult the Nigerian merit awards. If you've no respect for this country then get your nasty, dirty self off this thread and off this forum.

1. The bitter old man you are screaming his name didn't give a shittt about you and your country, he fought, hoped and prayed for the destruction of your country till his last breath.

2. The same man not only didn't give a damn about the Nigerian merit awards you are crying about, he turned it down disrespectfully several times...

You really need to STFU sometimes you dumb idi/ot.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Eziachi: 12:29am On Mar 26, 2013
Delafruita: of course he contributed a lot.he spent many years in prison...ooohh that was soyinka.he fought to keep nigeria one...ooohhh no..he actually served in the biafran government

i love his oratory and his styleof writing.but as for contribution to the development of the nation,no single writer comes close to wole soyinka.he notm only writes against the government,he acts and outs himself in the line of fire.i dont remember achebe been bundled into jail.or been teargassed by the police during a protest
Achebe and Soyinka are great men of Africa, they are not in contest, in fact they are great friends with mutual respect for each others talent, its only inconsequential time wasters like you that spend their energy trying to create a non existing conflict.

Listen to Kenyan, hear the British. We know the type of heroes you aspires of their praise, and that is the Iboris of this world. My ancestors says that a palm will never cover the moon, no matter how much it tries.

Mazi Achebe is the grandfather of modern African literature, a colossal moon. And its in vain that your tiny palm will try to cover the light that this moon emits.

4 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Efikman(m): 12:35am On Mar 26, 2013
bad_ass_nigga:

u can still see him na ...just drink otapiapia
Like Awolowo did right?

2 Likes

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by FSU: 1:14am On Mar 26, 2013
Eko Ile:

1. The bitter old man you are screaming his name didn't give a shittt about you and your country, he fought, hoped and prayed for the destruction of your country till his last breath.

2. The same man not only didn't give a damn about the Nigerian merit awards you are crying about, he turned it down disrespectfully several times...

Yoruba-on-Yoruba cyber war. Kill yaselfs, ode buruku

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:48am On Mar 26, 2013
Eko Ile:

Talk about yourself. You insult the National Merit Awards, we insult YOU.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:08am On Mar 26, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Talk about yourself. You insult the National Merit Awards, we insult YOU.

ashebe your tin can idol insulted your country and award several times, but your dumb asss is worried about eko ile on NL. How reta/rded and goofy can you be...

fcukk you personally and your worthless pepper soup award.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by meetmeonline: 3:05am On Mar 26, 2013
Hello Nairaland team.....For the health and future of this forum, read and reread every topic you bring to the frontpage to be sure it doesn't draw a line between the Yorubas and the Igbos cus a very serious tension is brewing between these two groups at the detriment of the forum.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by badassnigga(m): 3:52am On Mar 26, 2013
Efikman: Like Awolowo did right?
lyk ashebe died a frustrated man.
good riddance grin grin grin
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by dickhardener: 4:11am On Mar 26, 2013
Nigerians and their archaic mentality. Clannish conflicts is simply crude and for staunch locals period!!!! Folks with a sophisticated and suave mindset do not engage in lousy ethno-social brouhahas as shown here.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 26, 2013
Eko Ile:

ashebe your tin can idol insulted your country and award several times, but your dumb asss is worried about eko ile on NL. How reta/rded and goofy can you be...

fcukk you personally and your worthless pepper soup award.

Fcukk you too and no, Achebe never insulted the awards, which he received gladly on two occasions. And yes, we can take Achebe's criticism in stride considering his achievements. You by contrast are a worthless, gooey-nosed, jobless riffraff still sucking on his mother's saggy breast. Having won no award in your bedroom much less the country, you are hardly in a position to level insults at anyone, much less the entire nation.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by kettykin: 8:05am On Mar 26, 2013
meetmeonline: Hello Nairaland team.....For the health and future of this forum, read and reread every topic you bring to the frontpage to be sure it doesn't draw a line between the Yorubas and the Igbos cus a very serious tension is brewing between these two groups at the detriment of the forum.

who ever made it possible for these 2 different people to be in the same country and even doing more to prevent those who want to leave the country for the other , may such a person die a thousand times . I am still baffled how daft Nigerians have been rather than push this 2 groups out of Nigeria so that Nigeria can have eternal peace or at least push Igbos who already want to opt out so that Nigeria can have peace rather we keep hearing how some rogues will spill the last drop of their infected blood to prevent that.

My suggestion is that for Nigeria to have peace these 2 groups igbos and yorubas need to be pushed out of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by frederal(m): 8:47am On Mar 26, 2013
PHIPEX: Great prophets always find great honours in foreign countries. When the noise of betrayal by some nairalanders and fellow countrymen dies down and are eternally forgotten, generations yet unborn shall rise and call you Blessed...Rest in peace Achebe

Well-done Phipex, God bless U. Given a 1000 yrs, am sure all they will leave behind, is their photographs and little problems they caused to their families or villiage ( very localied problems o ).
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EveryLadY(f): 9:11am On Mar 26, 2013
thank you peter Nguli.You are a laureate in the making.Nigerians love you just as you celebrate one of our very best.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Delafruita(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2013
Eziachi:
Achebe and Soyinka are great men of Africa, they are not in contest, in fact they are great friends with mutual respect for each others talent, its only inconsequential time wasters like you that spend their energy trying to create a non existing conflict.

Listen to Kenyan, hear the British. We know the type of heroes you aspires of their praise, and that is the Iboris of this world. My ancestors says that a palm will never cover the moon, no matter how much it tries.

Mazi Achebe is the grandfather of modern African literature, a colossal moon. And its in vain that your tiny palm will try to cover the light that this moon emits.
if you had taken your time to read,you'd have realised i was simply responding to some i.diots who were attempting to make comparison between both men.some even said achebe contributed more to nigeria while soyinka contributed nothing and i simply set them straight by reminding them that we have not forgotten that achebe chose biafra over nigeria and that even during the war,soyinka spoke out on behalf of biafra.

achebe is a literary giant and nobody is doubting that.however,only a fool will diminish the significance of a nobel prize simply because achebe didnt win it.some argue that his book sold over 10million copies,well i have it on good authority that enid blyton sold plenty millions as well.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Benfaco: 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
Was really a man of the people.i really pray he made heaven which is the ultimate thing.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by calapicha(m): 3:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
Brilliant !
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by meetmeonline: 3:36pm On Mar 26, 2013
dick hardener: Nigerians and their archaic mentality. Clannish conflicts is simply crude and for staunch locals period!!!! Folks with a sophisticated and suave mindset do not engage in lousy ethno-social brouhahas as shown here.

somebody heeeelp!........2014 Chambers dictionary please...
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by EkoIle1: 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Fcukk you too and no, Achebe never insulted the awards, which he received gladly on two occasions. And yes, we can take Achebe's criticism in stride considering his achievements. You by contrast are a worthless, gooey-nosed, jobless riffraff still sucking on his mother's saggy breast. Having won no award in your bedroom much less the country, you are hardly in a position to level insults at anyone, much less the entire nation.

Dumb asss modafuckka.

ashebe your tin can idol insulted your country and award several times , he cared less about your country, he rubbished your country and insulted your fellow country men with bitterness and childish vengeance all the way into his grave, but your dumb asss is worried about eko ile on NL. How reta/rded and goofy can you be...

The silly and laughable awards this clown is defending goes to crooks, incompetent losers and the most corrupt public officials.

Reminds me sef, one was given to IG onovo, one of the most worthless and incompetent pubic officials in Nigeria by the goofy, useless and incompetent president while BH slaughtered Nigerians daily, while kidnappings thrived unchecked, then turn around and sack the same clown he just gave out one of Nigeria's highest awards to for incompetence.

Bunch of circus clowns..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/294861_Onovo_jpg45b92222e72fce89b03bab6ab8181705

I give you too much credit because you are even worse than I thought.

Like I said, fcukk you personally and your worthless pepper soup award.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
When are they burying this man?

Ibos too dey like to keep dead body inside morgue...
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by meetmeonline: 4:59pm On Mar 26, 2013
kettykin:

Who ever made it possible for these 2 different people to be in the same country and even doing more to prevent those who want to leave the country for the other , may such a person die a thousand times . I am still baffled how daft Nigerians have been rather than push this 2 groups out of Nigeria so that Nigeria can have eternal peace or at least push Igbos who already want to opt out so that Nigeria can have peace rather we keep hearing how some rogues will spill the last drop of their infected blood to prevent that.

My suggestion is that for Nigeria to have peace these 2 groups igbos and yorubas need to be pushed out of Nigeria

You sound like a one-in-whole-community elite from one of these minority tribes that beg for a deputy sit in the house during a new government.....the only reason why the Hausas have not made your people pay oxygen tax is because of the fear of the 'power to fight back' from the Igbos and Yorubas....You live in a country where more Hausas (though living in the farthest location) own oil wells than all other tribes put together.....yet the best wish you can make is to have their only two problems go away. You are a free person, don't yourself into slavery.
Re: A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by meetmeonline: 5:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
kettykin:

who ever made it possible for these 2 different people to be in the same country and even doing more to prevent those who want to leave the country for the other , may such a person die a thousand times . I am still baffled how daft Nigerians have been rather than push this 2 groups out of Nigeria so that Nigeria can have eternal peace or at least push Igbos who already want to opt out so that Nigeria can have peace rather we keep hearing how some rogues will spill the last drop of their infected blood to prevent that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Did Not Build Any Refinery For Nigeria – Editorial | NewsDay Reporters / Secondus: Why I Won’t Withdraw Lawsuit Against PDP / Buhari Sokoto Rally - In Pictures

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.