Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,080 members, 7,973,653 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 10:12 PM

iPhone Killer Apps Section!! - Phones (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / iPhone Killer Apps Section!! (180854 Views)

11 Killer Android Features You Aren’t Using. / Best Apps And Explict Games For Android Users (ANDROID KILLER APPS) / iPhone Killer Apps 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (103) (Go Down)

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 12:15pm On Apr 23, 2009
logica:

Ex Inferis,

We are not talking about Tethering. What we have in mind is the reverse (browse on your iPhone using your PC connection).

whatever happened to ICS via wifi ad hoc? unless your box doesnt have wifi (which i doubt), fiddling with USB seems like unnecessary geekitude.

cabali:

well, I got it on itunes successfully but it wouldnt go into the iTouch. I just got the firmware upgrade to 2.2

see? laziness. if you'd bothered to flick a few pages back to where we gave tuts on how to install cracked IPAs you wont get this error. install MIPatch and one free appstore app before syncing the pirated apps.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2009
Ex Inferis:

@Tex

Assassin's Creed for the iPhone is out. check Appulo, its 129mb. as for Excel in QuickOffice, just select a cell, type in the formula. the formula bar appears at the top of the screen.

I was trying to do a simple CellA - Cell B
as in, in excel you'd typically put the '=' sign so it know it's a formula, then click on the first cell, enter the operator and then click on the next cell. Seems in Quick office when you select the other cell the 'cursor' leaves the previous one.
Not sure if i made any sense, but that's the best way i could explain it.
I also tried to do a simple IF statement, was a bit tedious since i had to enter each cell name in the formula. But i can see the potential in the app.

Ex Inferis:

experimenting with RockBox on ipod, so far works great, almost better than Apple's default firmware. it makes even non-video ipods PLAY videos.

Not touching that thing again. I tried it on my ipod nano in december 2005, got a bit impatient while it was updating the firmware and pulled out the cable. Next thing the bugger crashed and rebooted with only linuxy text scrolling on the screen. I had to take it back to the shop and lie that it hapened to me just like that. The confused salesman changed it for me. . .that was the end of my ipodlinux experiment grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2009
Did you google it?

Simply install MobileInstallation patch from Cydia.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2009
Ex Inferis,
Refer to this quote in my first post on the subject:

"If u r having WI-FI problems and don't want to spend too much on using GPRS/EDGE/UMTS (which is my exact situation)"

Yes, my iPhone WI-FI functionality has completely kaput.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by arsenal4va(m): 9:53pm On Apr 23, 2009
cabali:

well, I got it on itunes successfully but it wouldnt go into the iTouch. I just got the firmware upgrade to 2.2

Assassins Creed requires firmware 2.2.1,
if u r on 2.2 download fw changer from cydia and fake your fw and it shud work fine ,

am also on 2.2 but its working fine for me , btw its a cool game

also have u done your Mobile installation patch ? since you are downloading from appulo
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 7:42am On Apr 24, 2009
I am the only one who has actually tried the 2.2.1 using a custom firmware then?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by arsenal4va(m): 8:11am On Apr 24, 2009
logica:

I am the only one who has actually tried the 2.2.1 using a custom firmware then?

ha ha , too much stress to change fw and to put everything back on the phone

but am using 2.2.1 on my 2g but on the 3g am still on 2.2

btw u dey lag ?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by arsenal4va(m): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2009
Assassins creed

Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by cabali(m): 8:35am On Apr 24, 2009
@ arsenal4va

it aint jailbroken actually!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by arsenal4va(m): 8:46am On Apr 24, 2009
oh , u can start by doing the jailbreak

here is some useful info

for itouch

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=15

for iphone

http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by cabali(m): 9:27am On Apr 24, 2009
Got a phobia for that really! Saw someone fry his iphone doing that. sad

Made contact with tex to help with it himself while i leard to do it without fear. grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 11:44am On Apr 24, 2009
He must have put it in a frying-pan and put it on fire to fry it. I have never seen an iPhone that cannot be fixed as long as it's a S/W problem.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 1:27pm On Apr 24, 2009
logica:

He must have put it in a frying-pan and put it on fire to fry it. I have never seen an iPhone that cannot be fixed as long as it's a S/W problem.

actually ive had 3 experiences where the phone went beyond normal restore salvage. the last one, during Quickpwn flashing NOR, the bootloader became corrupted and booting the phone takes ages, hanging at the apple logo. i downloaded bootneuter to change from 3.9 to 4.6. phone froze, did a hard reset and refused to go beyond the boot logo. i did a restore but seems the original (corrupted) bootloader which resides in ROM is unchanged by the restore, just as in most cases baseband doesnt get touched in a restore to the same firmware.

long story short: the phone freezes on its own, and restarting sometimes hangs on apple logo requirring a hard reset, which takes forever to boot.

lesson: anything that mods ROM/NOR can severely cripple any hardware device. Texaspete found that out with ipod linux.

cabali:

it aint jailbroken actually!

and that, sir, was why we recommend quickpwn. it jailbreaks.

texazzpete:

I was trying to do a simple CellA - Cell B
as in, in excel you'd typically put the '=' sign so it know it's a formula, then click on the first cell, enter the operator and then click on the next cell. Seems in Quick office when you select the other cell the 'cursor' leaves the previous one.

rather than put the arithmetic expression first, key in values to the cell, then place your expression and reference the cells.

texazzpete:

I also tried to do a simple IF statement, was a bit tedious since i had to enter each cell name in the formula. But i can see the potential in the app.

HABA!! guy, this thing is for basic spreadsheeting nah! this one that you're invoking complex statements as if QO is a full office replacement app.

quickoffice is good, but i find Documents to Go (which is in an old motorola Q i never i remember owning until i just dug it up out of mountains of boxed rejecta) retains better compatibility and features closer to MS Office 2003. its the same stuff in my Blackberry Curve.

texazzpete:

Not touching that thing again. I tried it on my ipod nano in december 2005, got a bit impatient while it was updating the firmware and pulled out the cable. Next thing the bugger crashed and rebooted with only linuxy text scrolling on the screen. I had to take it back to the shop and lie that it hapened to me just like that. The confused salesman changed it for me. . .that was the end of my ipodlinux experiment  grin

chicken!

rockbox and ipod linux are two different things aimed at doing one thing. ipodlinux is ia fork of linux and is ipod-only and tries to mirror the ipod; RockBox is spread wide across various media devices and has its own unique interface as well being built from the ground up with C. it has its own  bootloader which steals bootup routines from the native apple bootloader and can load either firmware, sort of dual boot.

its relatively safe. besides, you can always enter diskmode and revert to your original firmware.

logica:

Ex Inferis,
Refer to this quote in my first post on the subject:

"If u r having WI-FI problems and don't want to spend too much on using GPRS/EDGE/UMTS (which is my exact situation)"

Yes, my iPhone WI-FI functionality has completely kaput.

the only way i can have wifi problems if my machine is connected via ethernet is when my box or the iphone lacks wifi. even with mac filtering or pre-assigned router on the network, its a simple case to hook up wifi via local proxy (such as Free Proxy) and share net connection.

but then, to each his own.

arsenal4va:

Assassins creed

that game looks suspiciously like Hero of Sparta, even the control schemes. a curious job of same engine, different sprites.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Ushersx(m): 1:58pm On Apr 24, 2009
hey buddy kan i have yur yahoo id if yu have 1 or buzz me chriswalker212@yahoo.com, am online now holla. grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 2:25pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ex Inferis:

HABA!! guy, this thing is for basic spreadsheeting nah! this one that you're invoking complex statements as if QO is a full office replacement app.

quickoffice is good, but i find Documents to Go (which is in an old motorola Q i never i remember owning until i just dug it up out of mountains of boxed rejecta) retains better compatibility and features closer to MS Office 2003. its the same stuff in my Blackberry Curve.

The thing even has my favourite formula (VLOOKUP) and you say make i no use am? lol

Ex Inferis:

chicken!

rockbox and ipod linux are two different things aimed at doing one thing. ipodlinux is ia fork of linux and is ipod-only and tries to mirror the ipod; RockBox is spread wide across various media devices and has its own unique interface as well being built from the ground up with C. it has its own bootloader which steals bootup routines from the native apple bootloader and can load either firmware, sort of dual boot.

its relatively safe. besides, you can always enter diskmode and revert to your original firmware.

That was my first idevice. AFter spending N22k on a nano, you think i was happy to see that happen?

As someone who had in the past fearlessly flashed firmwares, upgraded Xbox and PS2 consoles and done general tinkery i came to the sudden realization that i'm far more comfortable messing around with other people's stuff than my own. That fact was driven home when i was flashing my N140,000 HTC TyTN with an xda-developers cooked ROM and it hung for 20 mins at 95%. I still remember the feeling of cold sweat trickling down my buttcrack grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by texazzpete(m): 2:26pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ushersx:

hey buddy kan i have yur yahoo id if yu have 1 or buzz me chriswalker212@yahoo.com, am online now holla. grin

I'M NOT YOUR BUDDY, FRIEND!!

Sorry, couldn't resist the South Park reference grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 3:27pm On Apr 24, 2009
texazzpete:

The thing even has my favourite formula (VLOOKUP) and you say make i no use am? lol

pretty sure you wont mind VBA macros in QO, abi?

texazzpete:

That was my first idevice. AFter spending N22k on a nano, you think i was happy to see that happen?

As someone who had in the past fearlessly flashed firmwares, upgraded Xbox and PS2 consoles and done general tinkery i came to the sudden realization that i'm far more comfortable messing around with other people's stuff than my own. That fact was driven home when i was flashing my N140,000 HTC TyTN with an xda-developers cooked ROM and it hung for 20 mins at 95%. I still remember the feeling of cold sweat trickling down my buttcrack grin

i myself have had several butthole-puckering moments messing with ROM flashes on countless devices. just cant resist the joy of seeing "EEPROM Flash Successful!" on screen. that nail-biting, adrenaline-rushing, sweat-inducing, teeth-clattering moment when the programs says "Working, DO NOT DISCONNECT!/INTERRUPT!". and you wonder what really does happen if you DO interrupt.

im brushing up on interrupts and memory addressing as well as Hexadecimals, all gearing up to start dumping stuff off ROM chips. its the ultimate geekiness.

now, who has an oscilloscope.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by Ushersx(m): 11:14pm On Apr 24, 2009
oh yea thx grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 2:35pm On Apr 25, 2009
@Ex Inferis,

My point here is, as long as the problem is S/W (even though we call the O/S the firmware, the firmware should actually refer to the BL and BB), it can be EASILY resolved. With the firmware issues, of course you require a little more expertise (I'm sure there are tools you can get to resolve this if you speak with members of the DEV team, Elite DEV or even Geohot).
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by DisGuy: 1:22pm On Apr 26, 2009
any nigeria made iphone software around?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hayprof(m): 7:55pm On Apr 26, 2009
@guy, even of u see naija ifone FW nd u install dat fone go damage beyond repair,
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 2:38pm On Apr 27, 2009
logica:

@Ex Inferis,

My point here is, as long as the problem is S/W (even though we call the O/S the firmware, the firmware should actually refer to the BL and BB), it can be EASILY resolved. With the firmware issues, of course you require a little more expertise (I'm sure there are tools you can get to resolve this if you speak with members of the DEV team, Elite DEV or even Geohot).

so true. anything in ROM is firmware, and the bootloader is in a PROM chip. except the Baseband actually resides in Flash Memory to alllow for updating. Firmware is a relative term and is not always fixed to mean low-level ROM microcode. Ha! told you i was brushing up to start dumping!!

ok, that was all besides the point but you are absolutely right: software crashes and mods are recoverable. "Firmware"/ROM, not so easily. and that was why stuff like BBUpdaterXtreme, iErase, phasedbandowngrader etc give me the creeps.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by lynxnoon(m): 12:50pm On May 02, 2009
To all iPhone gurus( esp Tex&Ex)
Yesterday i tried transfering audio files tru itunes 2 3 difrent iPhones but cudnt, i tried dragging d file(wich wokd 4 ipods), copy&paste didnt, also cudnt modify d Sync features & u all knw wat wil hapen if i directly sync
I dunno but it sims iPhones r configured 2 work on a single pc, or am i wrong?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 3:02pm On May 02, 2009
lynxnoon:

To all iPhone gurus( esp  Tex&Ex)
Yesterday i tried transfering audio files tru itunes 2 3 difrent iPhones but cudnt, i tried dragging d file(wich wokd 4 ipods), copy&paste didnt, also cudnt modify d Sync features & u all knw wat wil hapen if i directly sync
I dunno but it sims iPhones r configured 2 work on a single pc,  or am i wrong?

absolutely.

synchronization means keeping two things in ,er, sync. its different from drag and drop which the iphone does not support. even if you enable manual management of media in itunes, it still wipes off alien stuff.

there is a solution called freesync that messes with your ipod db and can crash your library. avoid.

next best is swaptunes on Cydia which allows syncing with 2 different machines though you can only access one library at a time.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by klas(m): 7:44pm On May 10, 2009
[size=14pt]I have a jailbroken and unlocked iphone. The itune/app store account is already registered in the name of one 'davidkwm'. I dont know the password and my source (of the iphone) doesnt know either. What do I do to access itune/app store? Thanks.[/size]
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 8:16pm On May 10, 2009
And what is wrong with asking the person you bought it from if it wasn't stolen? Why would you want to use another person's id to access App Store, where you can potentially purchase items charged to his account? Do you honest expect any help here? Just register YOUR OWN App Store account, or is that too difficult to do?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by klas(m): 10:11pm On May 10, 2009
logica:

And what is wrong with asking the person you bought it from if it wasn't stolen? Why would you want to use another person's id to access App Store, where you can potentially purchase items charged to his account? Do you honest expect any help here? Just register YOUR OWN App Store account, or is that too difficult to do?

Be assured that neither the source nor I are so low as to steal mere iphone and I didnt say I bought it. I intended to register and purchase some software and that was why I tried to log in initially. I was suprised to see the name there. The purpose of my post is to seek help on how to bypass the repeated request for password and register my own account. The site is just asking for password instead of asking me to register. Pls do tell me how to access the registration 'window' instead of the login pasword that is showing
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by abduladi(m): 11:57pm On May 10, 2009
hi guys!! really appreciate ur work here. hv been quiter off nairaland due to some network issues. lol. abeg am having problem mapping a network drive to my itouch meaning i can't transfer files with airsharing and files. pls any suggestion will do. keep up the gud job guys!
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by hayprof(m): 12:33am On May 11, 2009
@klas, do make ur queries clear nxt time,. .this iFone guys r off the issi' . .lol
@logica, b easi on d guy @ least he got an ifone unlike most of us. . .

So, @logic, hw can klas register an account for himself ?

Clear?
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by logica(m): 7:28am On May 11, 2009
This means the App Store is tied to that ID and the apps u have on the phone were purchased using this ID. If you mean that iTunes is automatically logging u in with that ID, then u should have a log out button. Once u log out, u will have the option of creating an account (which is on the dialog window that pops up when u click the "Sign In" button.

If u don't get it, use google.
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by cabali(m): 7:59am On May 11, 2009
LOL!!! google will get him back here. . . . LOL grin
Re: iPhone Killer Apps Section!! by ExInferis(m): 12:52pm On May 11, 2009
@Klas

itunes uses cookies to keep track of account holders. purge the iphone of any and all apps installed by your source, or do a complete restore since evidently the content in there isnt yours anyway. then go in and sign up.

@hayprof
you cant get a purchase account with any naija credit card, so you can only go with a free itunes account. getting one is dead easy.

1. fire up itunes when online (make sure you've good connection; itunes can be picky).

2. click Itunes Store on the left sidebar

3. when the store interface comes up, click AppStore

4. go to Top Free Apps on the right, selct any app

5. on the next screen that pops up, select Get App

6. when the log in dialog appears, choose Crete Account

7. At the credit card registration screen, select None.

8. fill in all the details

9. use any US address including ZIP code, State, City, Area Phone code, and phone number. the address can be blah blah but make sure the ZIP, city, Area and phone numbers are genuine. you can use these (State=CA (california), City=Van Nuys, ZIP Code=91401, Phone area code=818, Phone number = 785-xxxx)

10. open your mailbox and verify the sent email from Apple.

that's it; freee podcasts, album arts, tuesday giveaways, and free iphone apps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (103)

Tecno M5 discussion thread / Glo Blackberry Plans On Phones And Other Devices / Leagoo M8/M8 Pro Discuss Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.