Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,759 members, 7,924,455 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 01:34 PM

Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! (8811 Views)

Poll: Do you support the ban of condoms and other "unnatural" contraceptives?

Yes: 7% (8 votes)
No: 92% (95 votes)
This poll has ended

Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG / Buhari Incapable Of Ruling A Democratic State, Has A Dark Past – Edwin Clark / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by bawomolo(m): 2:52pm On Apr 08, 2008

Anambra people, if they don't want you people to use condoms, use sugar nylon, groundnut nylon or whatever you can find to protect yourself. O di kwa important o!!

lmao, as if nylon has spermicide in it.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Lady2(f): 3:35pm On Apr 08, 2008
No. It's because they're Catholics

Who gave you the twisted idea that all Latinos are Catholics or that they believe in fornication?

People need to stop speaking out of their asses.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by 4Play(m): 3:38pm On Apr 08, 2008
D-reloaded:

No. It's because they're Catholics grin

Hmm. . . .you sure don't let the facts get in the way of your bigotry. grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by cyriluzo(m): 3:39pm On Apr 08, 2008
Most of us think its not possible to do stay without sex. But talking about condoms, is this meant to prevent pregnancy or prevent HIV.

Anambra state Government's action  will not pose any threat to the spread of HIV, nor would it help in curbing the deadly disease. Reason?  How many of you "Cant do without sex people" really do wear you condoms in the hit of your flying emotion.

Whatever the Anambra state govt decide to do, one TRUTH still remain(Even though this is bitter in most people's heart), Abstienance is the only solution to a healthy future generation
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by almondjoy(f): 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2008
Like they were using condoms before this? undecided

Who is deceiving who here please?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by alex406(m): 3:48pm On Apr 08, 2008
Thanks to all comments on this but i tell you,this stupid Governor is so dumb and mentally derailed.How on earth does he think people will take things easy with this bleeped decision,while he ends up being loaded with enough of "Ashawo" every night and i am sure he will not but use Condoms to protect himself.Don't you think he is insane or even under occultic or Marine attack.Well ma people lets take things easy,i will be going to Onitsha next week and bet it,my CD will be in the most hidden part of my luggage because i am very sure those useless things that call themselves POLICE will want to check if one is with CD so that they can CHOP from there.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Uche2nna(m): 3:59pm On Apr 08, 2008
How did the Pope, Vatican and Catholicism come into this?  undecided

@ Topic

Anambra leaders always amazes me with a lot of dumb shit but surely this has to take the cake. If the leaders want to fight immorality, I suggest they should start with themselves. Maybe somebody needs to remind them that bribery and corruption are all part and parcel of immorality.

What has the sale of condom got to do with the numerous problems besieging the state? The importation of fake drugs by Onitsha traders accounts for up to 30 percent death of patients in the state. What about the importation of sub standard spare parts? These are aspects I expected the government to spend thier energy on.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 08, 2008
maybe they're trying to preempt the importation of substandard 'reff ryda' condoms grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by spikedcylinder: 4:12pm On Apr 08, 2008
bawomolo:

lmao, as if nylon has spermicide in it.

At least, its better than sanctifying it in "Jesus name"!!

lol@oyb. which one is REFF ryder again? Onitsha version?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2008
@spikedcylinder, its Aba version, actually!!! grin grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by bawomolo(m): 4:14pm On Apr 08, 2008
reff ryder ko, okada ryder ni tongue
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Anuliph(f): 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2008
Its not surprising. This is just to show how backward they really are.Imagine this happening in lagos. It wont even work. Am conservative but also rational and pro-active. But how do we pass our views across? Sitting here n typing away wont help or change things. what do you peeps think?              
I just joined nairaland and i love this forum. There are crazy folks here sha!
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 08, 2008
They should just cross over to Enugu state or even delta and buy them.
I wonder if it's now illegal to be found in posession of contraceptives too.
What a stupid law!
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2008
Nigeria just disgusts me by the day.
They'll tell women in some areas what they can and cannot wear
They'll ban women in some areas from riding okada
Now a state legislator thinks it's her right to ban contraceptives
Is she going to pay child support for the babies that'll litter the streets
stupid idiotic laws while people are dying of hunger.

what's next?
ban the sale of chewing?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by 4Play(m): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2008
nwando:

what's next?
ban the sale of chewing?

Singapore banned the sale of chewing gums for decades.They said it litters the street. grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 08, 2008
there's this condom ad i saw in which this dude left his chick, took a bicycle to the drugstore.

i can just see it now - 'er just a minute - ( gets off the bed, pulls on his trouseres , hops into his car - drives hell for leather to the nearest state, buys the rubbers rushes back home - is stopped by the men in black -

'oga ' wetin u carry?'
'see he has raincoat!'
'

'arrest him! criminal!'

cut to picture of guy in boxer shorts standing beside 'exhibit A'

hmm. . . the battle to get laid just got a lot harder

1 Like

Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2008
Anuli ph:

Its not surprising. This is just to show how backward they really are.Imagine this happening in lagos. It wont even work. Am conservative but also rational and pro-active. But how do we pass our views across? Sitting here n typing away wont help or change things. what do you peeps think?              
I just joined nairaland and i love this forum. There are crazy folks here sha!

not so fast dear
wasn't it in Lagos they were arresting  women in trousers and throwing in jail by the directives of a police commisioner?
Virtually anything is possible in Nigeria.
The populace have been programmed to take crap.
If they wake up tomorrow and decree that men should stop wearing red shirts because it reminds people of blood,believe me there's nothing anyone would do.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 08, 2008
4 Play:

Singapore banned the sale of chewing gums for decades.They said it litters the street. grin

You're right but Singapore takes care of it's citizens especially it's poor and destitute.
We live in a nation where nursing mothers are seen on the streets begging with their kids and a fellow woman had the audacity to ban contraceptives.
Is that nation under a curse?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by chrisoml(m): 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2008
wonders shall never end in dis we gr8 nation dat i luv so much & even ready to spill my blood 4.
where did this very idea come from?
who brought it up in the first place b4 it even became a law?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Rhea(f): 5:00pm On Apr 08, 2008
Next thing, somebody will ban sex between singles
Naija!!
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by 4Play(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2008
nwando:

You're right but Singapore takes care of it's citizens especially it's poor and destitute.
We live in a nation where nursing mothers are seen on the streets begging with their kids and a fellow woman had the audacity to ban contraceptives.
Is that nation under a curse?

I think many Govt officials at the state level are not particularly the brightest.

In the end,I believe this is a storm in a teacup.The measure can't and won't be implemented and the whole issue will evaporate in the fullness of time.

The short term damage is that it sends the wrong message in a context where 'messages' are crucial in the fight against AIDS.The Govt should be at the forefront of promoting safe sexual habits instead of condemning it.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by holotee(m): 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2008
In as much as i'd like to stroke this people up there; it's much better we ourselves focus on more serious things like reducing the poverty level. There are better things ti Ban like Guns and arms. Instead they r bannin condoms. What a , ?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by spikedcylinder: 5:27pm On Apr 08, 2008
oyb, you keep cracking me up!!! Warn urself o! grin grin cheesy
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Uche2nna(m): 5:43pm On Apr 08, 2008
chrisoml:

wonders shall never end in this we great nation that i love so much & even ready to spill my blood 4.
where did this very idea come from? who brought it up in the first place before it even became a law?
To think that after attaining 4 to 5 yrs of tertiary education and most times 2 to 3 yrs of some post graduate shit, the best u can do to move ur state foward is to ban the sale of condoms. That is sad sad
We keep chasing shadows. That is why the country will not go foward.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by oizapee: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2008
;DAmazing i will say!
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Laraba28: 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2008
"Instead of teaching children how to use condoms to enjoy sex they should be taught total abstinence," the state commissioner for health, Amobi Ilika said when announcing the measures in late March at the state capital, Awka. "The use of condoms has greatly encouraged immorality," he said.

This is what happens when people are put in positions they are not qualified for. You see some cases, minister for health is an architect, minister for petroleum is a nurse, finance minister is a barber, grin A whole commisioner for health saying "Instead of teaching children how to use condoms to enjoy sex they should be taught total abstinence,", Is it only children that have sex?? wot about adults that have sex and wish to use a condom? No country in Africa should even dream about banning condoms at this this rate of HIV prevalence. I shake my head for naija sha,

This is so stupid it brought me out of lurking n made me leave my first post, smiley
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Dreloaded(f): 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2008
4Play I try my best tongue

Lady, 105% of Latinos are Catholic grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Caradona(f): 7:27pm On Apr 08, 2008
If I get knocked up by a Anambra State Senator, He can't deny he banged me because the proof will be there when I give Birth to his Child since he was quick to support the ban on the use of Condoms tongue grin
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by tpia: 7:55pm On Apr 08, 2008
Caradona:

If I get knocked up by a Anambra State Senator, He can't deny he banged me because the proof will be there when I give Birth to his Child since he was quick to support the ban on the use of Condoms tongue grin

my sista, condom or no condom, the main proof na DNA test. wink
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by tpia: 8:08pm On Apr 08, 2008
I'm not from the state but I checked the official site.

from Anambra State website:

ANAMBRA STATE DID NOT BAN THE USE OF CONDOM

I wish to state for the avoidance of doubt that Anambra State did not at any time ban the use of condom. It is not even contemplating that.

The statement credited to the Hon. Commissioner for Health, Dr. Linus Amobi Ilika is therefore false. The Commissioner only said that in the ABC of prevention from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, that abstinence comes first, followed by marital faithfulness and others.

Further, he counselled those growing up to embrace our pristine value of chastity as he warned that abortion remains a crime.

As a pro-life member and an ardent Catholic, just like some of us, he may be personally opposed to the use of condom on the understanding that it is wrong to stop any act of procreation already begun, but he has not said nor has he advocated that it becomes a state policy.

Beyond condom issue, the concern of the State Government is that health care is properly developed in the state. This explains the efforts of the State Government, which has already led to the accreditation of many health institutions in the State, the building of Cardiac and Heart centre, the provision of ambulances to our hospitals, and the massive provision of infrastructure in our hospitals. The sustenance of this revolution is the concern of the Government and not the moral question of whether condom should be used or not.

Valentine Obienyem
Special Assistant to Gov. Obi on Media and Publicity

http://www.anambrastateng.org/general/news.php?id=53&page=story

people can rest easy. grin grin However not a license to run there and fornicate, I think is what they're saying. Or maybe not.
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 08, 2008
na wa o
and people were here getting their anti catholic groove on when the whole story was false shocked shocked shocked
who knew?
Re: Anambra State Has Banned The Sale Of Contraceptives! by Dreloaded(f): 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2008
Good thing I don't need such threads to still have my words against the Catholic Church  cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nyesome Wike, The Construction Governor Of Port Harcourt(pics) / Most Populated Cities In Nigeria 2016 / Ezekwesili Slams Buhari, "You Are Accustomed To Losing Your Citizens"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.