Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,461 members, 7,917,392 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:31 AM

Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) (104170 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Coming Out Of Aso Villa! Has It Always Been Like This? / President Jonathan Accused Of Owning A $500m Farm In Abuja - The Nation / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by matrixme(m): 11:52am On Apr 16, 2013
sirfemoz: Have taken some time to go through comments of some people here, and I understood one thing, Nigerians are never proud/patriotic of what they have. If Nigerians visit foreign land, they will appreciate the beauty of that place. back here at home, we are talking jibberish. Abuja is the fastest growing capital city in Africa. Would you all rather prefer if you visit the capital of your country and it looks like a slum? The other day, it was the pictures of Uyo that was displayed here, we all applauded to that. Few days ago, it was pictures of Lagos, we all applauded to that, but to some, they didn't because they had a biased mind. Abuja is a well planned city, its not a must that everybody will live there. If your income do not measure up, there are some cities in Nigeria that you can live comfortably and happy. Appreciate your Government, nobody will be in the seat of government and be perfect. My fellow Nairalanders, no matter what you talk here on this forum, Abuja is still growing and moving on a fast lane. My advice to all who do not want to appreciate good things, "its either you join the moving train, or you stay back with you computer system and come up with a very constructive/educative argument. God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
Mister, firstly, you need to know that some of us are comfortable where we are, even if it is not Abuja or Lagos. Also, it's not all of us, like the government of Nigeria; that would say what is, where it isn't. How can you say a city is to accommodate only poor people and you are proud of that fact? I bet even New York has a lot of homeless people that are just citizens as the most expensive celebrity. The city is supposed to be a conglomerate of peoples, either rich or poor. Besides, people are at liberty to say their minds over what they see on the internet, as long as they are not trespassing their boundaries. Thank you
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by bloggernaija: 11:54am On Apr 16, 2013
Tamar AbramsCommunications Strategist for Nonprofits
GET UPDATES FROM TAMAR ABRAMS
Abuja, Nigeria: Happy to Leave
Posted: 08/29/11 03:08 PM ET
React
Important
Fascinating
Typical
Scary
Outrageous
Amazing
Infuriating
Beautiful
Follow
United Nations , Africa , Nigeria , Oil , West Africa , Abuja , Arlington Virginia , House On The Rock , Megachurch , Nairobi , Pentacostal , World News
SHARE THIS STORY

Get World Alerts
Submit this story
I'm writing from Nigeria -- not with an email that uses the word "barrister" and attempts to scam you out of thousands of your hard-earned dollars -- but rather as a visitor to this country that regularly turns up as a punch line on late night TV. It is not my favorite place to be, at least not in the capital city of Abjua where I am working for 10 days.

While Nigeria is clearly an undeveloped country, here it attempts to hide behind flashiness. There are broad avenues that sweep past tall, modern buildings that would be at home in the States. But many of the cars on the roads are barely drivable, and there are few working stoplights. Battered green taxis ply their trade everywhere; they are cheap but dangerous -- most lacking seatbelts -- as they weave in and around other cars. Without crosswalks or stoplights, pedestrians appear to be in mortal danger every time they cross a road. Most of the large buildings bear the names of corporations or banks.

This is a nation made wealthy by the discovery of vast stores of oil, and it would appear by the buildings and roads that its citizens are sharing the wealth. Unlike Nairobi, for example, there are few slums and beggars evident. But, unlike the oil, much remains below the surface here.

The poorest residents of Abuja -- including many of the workers who staff the people who work in the tall buildings -- have been forcibly moved to the outskirts of town where many live without running water or electricity. You would see them if you gazed out the window of your car as you travel from the airport into the city center. The women with infants strapped to their backs balancing heavy bundles on their heads, the men sitting under trees looking at you with hollowed eyes.

Abuja is a planned city, designed by three American firms; while they may have gotten the infrastructure right, they forgot about the heart. And because everything dates back only to the 1970s, this is a place devoid of much history or charm.

There are speed bumps in the middle of major thoroughfares that invariably result in flat tires and disabled cars by the side of the road. The incessant honking of horns can be maddening. The oil wealth has brought with it inflated prices. We visit Amigo Market where the expats and wealthy shop and are horrified by the cost of food -- fresh fruit is prohibitively expensive and a small container of yogurt is almost $4. Outside the market young men hawk everything from bananas to pirated films on DVD. In a nation where some people are getting rich, everyone is desperate to make some money.

There's something sad about Abuja. I've traveled in other parts of Africa and Southeast Asia where I've seen great poverty but I always sensed a spirit of hope and strong community. I don't see that here. Abuja is a harsh place without much warmth. Sure, people say hello and appear to do what they are supposed to do but there is little extra effort expended. Perhaps it is simply soul-sapping to see the corruption and wealth that surround and confine them without providing sustenance to all.

And then five days into my visit, I spend a Sunday evening at a gospel-and-jazz service at Abuja's largest church, House on the Rock. It is Pentecostal and resembles a low-rent American megachurch. Cheap plastic chairs -- maybe 1000 of them -- fill the cavernous space facing a huge stage with disco lights and several Jumbotrons. My two colleagues and I are the only white faces, but congregants are welcoming. We are given seats of honor in the second row behind the preachers, and a clear view of the singers and band members who fill the stage.

There is no preaching, no sermon -- only heartfelt music. Amazing, soul-calming music. Trumpets, saxophones, drums of many kinds, guitars and bass. There are tribal drummers whose increasingly frenetic beats are a traditional call to worship and singers who sway and raise their hands and eyes to God as they exhort us to turn our lives over to Him. Congregants are on their feet, clapping and dancing and swaying to the music. One woman faints and is carried off. It is a beautiful evening, even when we are singled out by a preacher as new "converts" -- a Jew, a Quaker and a reformed Angolan Catholic -- and applauded as our faces appear on the giant screens. It doesn't matter. I am being transported into the soul of a place that I feared would hide that part of itself from me.

The next day there are power outages and those damned car horns and the knowledge that wealth is so unevenly distributed in this country that claims to be working against graft and corruption. But I hold tight to the evening that neither my religion nor my skin color nor my nationality kept me from becoming part of something uplifting and communal in Nigeria. I suppose there is hope hidden in the corners of everywhere.

And, on my last full day in Abuja, an explosion rocks the UN compound across the street from our hotel. Black smoke billows from the building where people labor each day to bring peace and development to this nation and others. Within hours, we're told, a suicide bomber with a radical Islamic sect drove his bomb-laden car into the building. It is Ramadan. I suppose the bomber didn't see the irony. Eighteen people are dead and scores are injured. The sirens that day seemed to go on forever. And, as I head to the airport for the first leg of my flight home, the driver says there are many people still trapped in the rubble of the building.

I am racing home, trying to stay ahead of Hurricane Irene which is predicted to lash my neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia. I'm more than ready to face the destructiveness of nature; it is the cruelty of my fellow human beings that is far more frightening.

Follow Tamar Abrams on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@Tamarabrams
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by braveheart2012(m): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2013
I agree with all those that call Abuja soulless. This is what happens when you build a capital in the middle of nowhere. It's obvious that few people are truly committed permanently to that place. It reminds me of a knock-off, lower-class Dubai.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 11:59am On Apr 16, 2013
sirfemoz: Have taken some time to go through comments of some people here, and I understood one thing, Nigerians are never proud/patriotic of what they have. If Nigerians visit foreign land, they will appreciate the beauty of that place. back here at home, we are talking jibberish. Abuja is the fastest growing capital city in Africa. Would you all rather prefer if you visit the capital of your country and it looks like a slum? The other day, it was the pictures of Uyo that was displayed here, we all applauded to that. Few days ago, it was pictures of Lagos, we all applauded to that, but to some, they didn't because they had a biased mind. Abuja is a well planned city, its not a must that everybody will live there. If your income do not measure up, there are some cities in Nigeria that you can live comfortably and happy. Appreciate your Government, nobody will be in the seat of government and be perfect. My fellow Nairalanders, no matter what you talk here on this forum, Abuja is still growing and moving on a fast lane. My advice to all who do not want to appreciate good things, "its either you join the moving train, or you stay back with you computer system and come up with a very constructive/educative argument. God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
If Abuja was located in Ghana as opposed to Nigeria, you would be shocked at how many here would be gushing over it, and wondering why Nigeria has no city comparable.

5 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2013
braveheart2012: I agree with all those that call Abuja soulless. This is what happens when you build a capital in the middle of nowhere. It's obvious that few people are truly committed permanently to that place. It reminds me of a knock-off, lower-class Dubai.
You do realise that most cities on earth were built "in the middle of nowhere" prior to becoming thriving metropolis? Where were Johannesburg and Cape Town "in the middle of" prior to their development? Even Lagos was a tiny fishing village a century ago. So what's your point? And please spare us your sniffy contrasting with Dubai. Abuja is still a work in progress and has not attained even a quarter of its master plan.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by MostIncredibleDFirst: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2013
Very soon some idiats who hav neva travelled outta their enclave b4 wil post stupid comments such as "if d city is dat nice how com tier are very few cars on d roads" OR "d place is not bustling dat why there are very few cars plying d road" just as there posted on d UYO-pictures tread.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by HonKontigi: 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
We are admiring Abuja today, but do we give honour to whom honour is deserved? Anyone who knew Abuja before el-Rufai became minister there will pour encomiums on this man for the almost impossible task he undertook to sanitize the city. Just one eg - churches and mosques built without approval were demolished, even when religious fanatics of both faiths were threatening. The man has guts - we need people like him at all of levels of leadership for this country to move forward.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by basilo101: 12:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
matrixme:
Mister, firstly, you need to know that some of us are comfortable where we are, even if it is not Abuja or Lagos. Also, it's not all of us, like the government of Nigeria; that would say what is, where it isn't. How can you say a city is to accommodate only poor people and you are proud of that fact? I bet even New York has a lot of homeless people that are just citizens as the most expensive celebrity. The city is supposed to be a conglomerate of peoples, either rich or poor. Besides, people are at liberty to say their minds over what they see on the internet, as long as they are not trespassing their boundaries. Thank you
wrong comparison. Abuja is to nigeria wat washington DC is to USA. U cn compare new york wit lagos, former capitals n comercial nerve centers
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by caesaraba(m): 12:47pm On Apr 16, 2013
basilo101:
wrong comparison. Abuja is to nigeria wat washington DC is to USA. U cn compare new york wit lagos, former capitals n comercial nerve centers

abeg help me tell am o.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by chic2007: 12:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
Abuja is a beautiful city all right. It is also a place that is devoid of chaos. I worked there for 6 months in 2004 but resigned and returned to Lagos. The main reason was that the place lacked life. During weekends, it felt like it was dead. It only came alive during weekdays. I do not like the chaos in Lagos but I will rather live in Lagos than Abuja. There is just something about Lagos that I really missed while I was in Abuja. Very ironic indeed!
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by successcertain: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city. Just like Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom , Abuja lacks character and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption. A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people.no wonder it empties out on weekends and during public holiday.
While China , Korea ,Thailand ,Taiwan ,Singapore ,UAE,Indonesia,Malaysia ,chile ,even Ghana etc where busy gearing up and retooling for the 21st century, nigeria was busy building a mirage.a so called showpiece.
Even brasil stopped wasting money on brazilia (the capital from which the Abuja was copied) and concentrated on where the true wealth of the country was made , kept and people lived.camberra (another show piece capital)was not created at the expense of the other cities.
Let us just keep deceiving ourselves .
The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys

stfu angry
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by successcertain: 12:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
bloggernaija:
Tamar AbramsCommunications Strategist for Nonprofits
GET UPDATES FROM TAMAR ABRAMS
Abuja, Nigeria: Happy to Leave
Posted: 08/29/11 03:08 PM ET
React
Important
Fascinating
Typical
Scary
Outrageous
Amazing
Infuriating
Beautiful
Follow
United Nations , Africa , Nigeria , Oil , West Africa , Abuja , Arlington Virginia , House On The Rock , Megachurch , Nairobi , Pentacostal , World News
SHARE THIS STORY

Get World Alerts
Submit this story
I'm writing from Nigeria -- not with an email that uses the word "barrister" and attempts to scam you out of thousands of your hard-earned dollars -- but rather as a visitor to this country that regularly turns up as a punch line on late night TV. It is not my favorite place to be, at least not in the capital city of Abjua where I am working for 10 days.

While Nigeria is clearly an undeveloped country, here it attempts to hide behind flashiness. There are broad avenues that sweep past tall, modern buildings that would be at home in the States. But many of the cars on the roads are barely drivable, and there are few working stoplights. Battered green taxis ply their trade everywhere; they are cheap but dangerous -- most lacking seatbelts -- as they weave in and around other cars. Without crosswalks or stoplights, pedestrians appear to be in mortal danger every time they cross a road. Most of the large buildings bear the names of corporations or banks.

This is a nation made wealthy by the discovery of vast stores of oil, and it would appear by the buildings and roads that its citizens are sharing the wealth. Unlike Nairobi, for example, there are few slums and beggars evident. But, unlike the oil, much remains below the surface here.

The poorest residents of Abuja -- including many of the workers who staff the people who work in the tall buildings -- have been forcibly moved to the outskirts of town where many live without running water or electricity. You would see them if you gazed out the window of your car as you travel from the airport into the city center. The women with infants strapped to their backs balancing heavy bundles on their heads, the men sitting under trees looking at you with hollowed eyes.

Abuja is a planned city, designed by three American firms; while they may have gotten the infrastructure right, they forgot about the heart. And because everything dates back only to the 1970s, this is a place devoid of much history or charm.

There are speed bumps in the middle of major thoroughfares that invariably result in flat tires and disabled cars by the side of the road. The incessant honking of horns can be maddening. The oil wealth has brought with it inflated prices. We visit Amigo Market where the expats and wealthy shop and are horrified by the cost of food -- fresh fruit is prohibitively expensive and a small container of yogurt is almost $4. Outside the market young men hawk everything from bananas to pirated films on DVD. In a nation where some people are getting rich, everyone is desperate to make some money.

There's something sad about Abuja. I've traveled in other parts of Africa and Southeast Asia where I've seen great poverty but I always sensed a spirit of hope and strong community. I don't see that here. Abuja is a harsh place without much warmth. Sure, people say hello and appear to do what they are supposed to do but there is little extra effort expended. Perhaps it is simply soul-sapping to see the corruption and wealth that surround and confine them without providing sustenance to all.

And then five days into my visit, I spend a Sunday evening at a gospel-and-jazz service at Abuja's largest church, House on the Rock. It is Pentecostal and resembles a low-rent American megachurch. Cheap plastic chairs -- maybe 1000 of them -- fill the cavernous space facing a huge stage with disco lights and several Jumbotrons. My two colleagues and I are the only white faces, but congregants are welcoming. We are given seats of honor in the second row behind the preachers, and a clear view of the singers and band members who fill the stage.

There is no preaching, no sermon -- only heartfelt music. Amazing, soul-calming music. Trumpets, saxophones, drums of many kinds, guitars and bass. There are tribal drummers whose increasingly frenetic beats are a traditional call to worship and singers who sway and raise their hands and eyes to God as they exhort us to turn our lives over to Him. Congregants are on their feet, clapping and dancing and swaying to the music. One woman faints and is carried off. It is a beautiful evening, even when we are singled out by a preacher as new "converts" -- a Jew, a Quaker and a reformed Angolan Catholic -- and applauded as our faces appear on the giant screens. It doesn't matter. I am being transported into the soul of a place that I feared would hide that part of itself from me.

The next day there are power outages and those damned car horns and the knowledge that wealth is so unevenly distributed in this country that claims to be working against graft and corruption. But I hold tight to the evening that neither my religion nor my skin color nor my nationality kept me from becoming part of something uplifting and communal in Nigeria. I suppose there is hope hidden in the corners of everywhere.

And, on my last full day in Abuja, an explosion rocks the UN compound across the street from our hotel. Black smoke billows from the building where people labor each day to bring peace and development to this nation and others. Within hours, we're told, a suicide bomber with a radical Islamic sect drove his bomb-laden car into the building. It is Ramadan. I suppose the bomber didn't see the irony. Eighteen people are dead and scores are injured. The sirens that day seemed to go on forever. And, as I head to the airport for the first leg of my flight home, the driver says there are many people still trapped in the rubble of the building.

I am racing home, trying to stay ahead of Hurricane Irene which is predicted to lash my neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia. I'm more than ready to face the destructiveness of nature; it is the cruelty of my fellow human beings that is far more frightening.

Follow Tamar Abrams on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@Tamarabrams

absolute nonsense
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city. Just like Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom , Abuja lacks character and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption. A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people.no wonder it empties out on weekends and during public holiday.
While China , Korea ,Thailand ,Taiwan ,Singapore ,UAE,Indonesia,Malaysia ,chile ,even Ghana etc where busy gearing up and retooling for the 21st century, nigeria was busy building a mirage.a so called showpiece.
Even brasil stopped wasting money on brazilia (the capital from which the Abuja was copied) and concentrated on where the true wealth of the country was made , kept and people lived.camberra (another show piece capital)was not created at the expense of the other cities.
Let us just keep deceiving ourselves .
The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys

Thank you.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Venchy: 1:10pm On Apr 16, 2013

[size=14pt]Appreciate what?

I tell you, Nigerians appreciate their country so much they continue to endure all the suffering the Leaders inflicted on them.

The leaders that steal all the country's wealth to buy houses all over Europe and US as well as keeping their beloved country in DARKNESS after the colonial Masters have hand over power are the people I expect you to Nag at because they do not give a 4uk about their country.

You sound like David Mark that says Telephone is not for poor.

Listen....God Bless the Queen because there's social welfare for people and God Bless America for providing life and Health care for the likes of Mariam Babangida and many more that doesn't give a toss about their country and it's citizens.

God punish all the greedy bastard running Nigeria.[/size]
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 16, 2013
brown3: some time i wonder where those sand come from. Pls can any body tell me why we always have a sandy side in our road.?

This is the reason I love Ilorin city as well! Its the only nigerian city so far, after abuja which has eradicated this plague. Even Lagos roads still have side-sands.

I don't know if Rossick can get beautiful pics of the new look of Ilorin city as well.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by olaojo: 1:19pm On Apr 16, 2013
Nice place to be, GBAM

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by chucky234(m): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ishsoph:

Lol for u @ Chucky234. My office is actually air-tight(has a make-shift window design though), so I aint sticking my head out without breaking the damn glass which will triger off the fire alarm.

To confirm if I actually work here? As in for real! Do I need the validation of you or any nairalander to prove me right? I care less bro!
lol
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by pgiddy(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: No, YOU read and comprehend. Abuja is a purpose built capital city. It is absurd to expect it to "reflect the squalor" of older cities which have been subjected to neglect by various state governments. Stop talking about "our politicians". Talk about YOUR state politicians. The federal govt built Abuja for Nigerians. If the cities in your state are decrepit, it is not the federal govt's fault, but your state govt. Is Uyo not in Nigeria? What about Owerri and Enugu? These are relatively clean, developed cities courtesy of their responsive state administrations. If Benin or Ibadan looks decrepit, don't blame it on "our politicians". Blame it on the politicians and leaders of those states specifically.
and who are the politicians dat made dis cities d way dey are 2dae, are dey not all dose retarded PDp politicians, after wich dey now run back to Abuja after looting dere state to goan build hotels in Abuja, tank God 4 progressive Governors we av now dat are putting in dere best to develop our ancient states.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Flygerian1(m): 1:37pm On Apr 16, 2013
Now im proud to be a Abujerian. smiley

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 2:14pm On Apr 16, 2013
nne3870:
I laugh in gwari....
Kubwa my dear is better than what you call GRA in lagos not to mention the new karmo. May be you should revisit places you termed 'slums' again including nyanya, and you would be surprised at the transformation.

I love Abuja, haters quit hating grin
KUBWA? You are mega deluded! I've been to Kubwa before and I'd boldly compare it with oworo shoki in Lagos. If you ever go to a GRA in Lagos, you'd denounce Abuja instantly. Abuja: a capital city that is exclusively for the rich, that has been built on oil money from other parts of the county. I won't deny, its beautiful to behold but, its beauty is nothing compared to VI,Lekki,Ajah,Ikoyi,Ikeja Banana island, and even the uncompleted Eko Atlantic city-and these only account for half of Lagos. Besides, most people like you don't even live in Abuja. They only go there to work seeing as the place is too expensive for them, they live in the bordering states like Nasarawa etc.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 16, 2013
tdade: KUBWA? You are mega deluded! I've been to Kubwa before and I'd boldly compare it with oworo shoki in Lagos. If you ever go to a GRA in Lagos, you'd denounce Abuja instantly. Abuja: a capital city that is exclusively for the rich, that has been built on oil money from other parts of the county. I won't deny, its beautiful to behold but, its beauty is nothing compared to VI,Lekki,Ajah,Ikoyi,Ikeja Banana island, and even the uncompleted Eko Atlantic city-and these only account for half of Lagos. Besides, most people like you don't even live in Abuja. They only go there to work seeing as the place is too expensive for them, they live in the bordering states like Nasarawa etc.
I don't live under thee brigde the way you do in lagos. I was born in abuja, grew up there too.
Please go look for your fellow tout and discuss poverty with them.

Why do we have so many sadist littered on the forum this days?

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 2:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
nne3870:
I don't live under thee brigde the way you do in lagos. I was born in abuja, grew up there too.

touched a nerve, did i? If you notice, I actually commended the beauty of Abuja. Oh, is it that Kubwa area you live in? Me sadist? Who compared Kubwa to GRAs in Lagos? Stop being hypocritical.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 2:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
nne3870:

touched a nerve, did i? If you notice, I actually commended the beauty of Abuja. Oh, is it that Kubwa area you live in? Me sadist? Who compared Kubwa to GRAs in Lagos?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Apr 16, 2013
tdade: touched a nerve, did i? If you notice, I actually commended the beauty of Abuja. Oh, is it that Kubwa area you live in? Me sadist? Who compared Kubwa to GRAs in Lagos?
Please park well undecided
Trust me when I say you didn't touch a hair talkless of nerve, if you had, you won't want to quote me again.
Now move....

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 3:38pm On Apr 16, 2013
The fact that with so much oil money pumped into the waste basket called abuja, the so called beautiful pictures ended on the first page, its very obvious that there is nothing meaningful or worthwhile in that place. This thread remains a disgrace and gross embarrassment.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 3:42pm On Apr 16, 2013
Eko Ile: The fact that with so much oil money pumped into the waste basket called abuja, the so called beautiful pictures ended on the first page, its very obvious that there is nothing meaningful or worthwhile in that place. This thread remains a disgrace and gross embarrassment.

Why are you so spiteful?

If this same city was taken and placed in Surulere or Isale Eko you would be singing its praises to kingdom come, just like you were frothing in the mouth after I posted a few unremarkable pictures of Lagos Island. You were similarly dismissive of Uyo. You need to get rid of your ethnic small-mindedness and learn to appreciate any progress in the entire country.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by IkeNwanyiCalaba: 3:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
what use is buildings and roads for the big oga and oga madam when 90 persent of nigerian is leave in poverty?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 3:45pm On Apr 16, 2013
IkeNwanyiCalaba: what use is buildings and roads for the big oga and oga madam when 90 persent of nigerian is leave in poverty?

With your atrocious spelling you managed to escape the ''90% poor'' and can afford to post online and surf.

The country must be doing much better than you think.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by nduchucks: 3:46pm On Apr 16, 2013
Mallam El-Rufai should be appreciated and thanked for his role in building this city. kudos to you, buddy!!!

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2013
Eko Ile: The fact that with so much oil money pumped into the waste basket called abuja, the so called beautiful pictures ended on the first page, its very obvious that there is nothing meaningful or worthwhile in that place. This thread remains a disgrace and gross embarrassment.
Exactly my point! No housing scheme for the poor and middle-class. Its like there's a sign there that says if you're poor, f**k off! Even earning 300k doesn't make you 'rich'. That's the dichotomy between Lagos and Abuja. Lagos is for everyone. Even without oil money being pumped into it, it can stand on its own. Take away oil money from Abuja-the so called 'capital'- and it has nothing. Even with oil money sef, its still dry.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
tdade: Exactly my point! No housing scheme for the poor and middle-class. Its like there's a sign there that says if you're poor, f**k off! Even earning 300k doesn't make you 'rich'. That's the dichotomy between Lagos and Abuja. Lagos is for everyone. Even without oil money being pumped into it, it can stand on its own. Take away oil money from Abuja-the so called 'capital'- and it has nothing. Even with oil money sef, its still dry.
Housing scheme for the poor and middle class? There are probably more publicly funded housing estates in Abuja than in Lagos. It's really not govt's job to build such estates if truth be told. How many housing estates has Fashola built? Lagos is filled with slums and you have the nerve to mention it in the same breath as Abuja? Have you no shame? Housing should be taken care of by the private sector. If you cannot afford to live in Abuja, go and live where you can afford. Can every Englishman afford to live in London? No. Even teachers and civil servants find themselves having to live outside London and commute to work daily there. How many Americans can wake up and say they're moving to Washington DC or New York? Very few. Why? The rents are astronomical. Cost of living super high, compared to say, Colorado or Wyoming. But in Abuja you expect all comers to have a nice affordable cheap flat ready and waiting for them, and the same living costs as your village. Better get real.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by manny4life(m): 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2013
Looks good o, but I see more foreigners than I see my fellow brothers and sisters, why na?

Although I must say o, IMO I was expecting a variety (not just fun, leisure, and entertainment), but other stuff. Anyway sha, it's still good, the photographer should always present ALL - the GOOD, BAD and UGLY. In all, ABJ is coming up, they should try to make it sustainable in the long run.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Surrounded By Soldiers In Rivers State (Video) / Tinubu Releases Lagos Governorship Primary Statement After Ambode's Brickbats / Temitope Adunni Akinsanya: House Built By MC Oluomo's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.