Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,439 members, 7,917,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 01:36 AM

Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) (104169 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Coming Out Of Aso Villa! Has It Always Been Like This? / President Jonathan Accused Of Owning A $500m Farm In Abuja - The Nation / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 4:22pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: Housing scheme for the poor and middle class? There are probably more publicly funded housing estates in Abuja than in Lagos. It's really not govt's job to build such estates if truth be told. How many housing estates has Fashola built? Lagos is filled with slums and you have the nerve to mention it in the same breath as Abuja? Have you no shame? Housing should be taken care of by the private sector. If you cannot afford to live in Abuja, go and live where you can afford. Can every Englishman afford to live in London? No. Even teachers and civil servants find themselves having to live outside London and commute to work daily there. How many Americans can wake up and say they're moving to Washington DC or New York? Very few. Why? The rents are astronomical. But in Abuja you expect all comers to hve a nice affordable cheap flat ready and waiting for them. Better get real.
Sir, I grew up in London and one thing that stands out is the 'average wage' in comparison with Abuja. All English men do not live in London, accepted, but that's not to say they can't afford it. London is the economical backbone of the UK, and it can afford to retain talent. What's the average wage in Abuja? And do you mean New York the city or New York the State? Because the average wage in New York is $60-70k and to get a decent condo would cost you circa $2000/month and with that kind of average wage, you'd see that the citizens can AFFORD it! Same goes for DC. Please, what exactly does Abuja have to offer as a city besides a few high rise towers? Its merely a waste of resources. With all the slums Lagos has, if it was a country, it would be Africa's second largest economy. Put that into perspective before comparing them both, sir.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2013
Doff_Man:

Big lie, and you know it grin
Rossikk is right. The financial corruption that goes on in New York, London and Washington DC is infinitely more than anything that occurs in Naija.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 4:30pm On Apr 16, 2013
@OP, let's not be petulant here. Put up a reasonable argument. Why bring up village? undecided@OP, let's not be petulant here. Put up a reasonable argument. Why bring up village?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by manny4life(m): 4:35pm On Apr 16, 2013
CFCfan:
Rossikk is right. The financial corruption that goes on in New York, London and Washington DC is infinitely more than anything that occurs in Naija.

I approve this message, you have to work in the system to know how phucked up the system is.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ifeomabernard(f): 4:36pm On Apr 16, 2013
wow roysickkkk thanks for the uppdate kiss
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by sirfemoz(m): 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2013
Venchy:

[size=14pt]Appreciate what?

I tell you, Nigerians appreciate their country so much they continue to endure all the suffering the Leaders inflicted on them.

The leaders that steal all the country's wealth to buy houses all over Europe and US as well as keeping their beloved country in DARKNESS after the colonial Masters have hand over power are the people I expect you to Nag at because they do not give a 4uk about their country.

You sound like David Mark that says Telephone is not for poor.

Listen....God Bless the Queen because there's social welfare for people and God Bless America for providing life and Health care for the likes of Mariam Babangida and many more that doesn't give a toss about their country and it's citizens.

God punish all the greedy bastard running Nigeria.[/size]
Don't get me wrong.. If that pictures were taken from Ghana, we will all come out here and start voicing out how useless our government are. But some of us here now took those beautiful edifices as waste of money, because suffering has really affected our common sense of reasoning. My friend, Nigeria is growing whether corruption or not, we are gradually getting there.. God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by tdade(m): 4:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
CFCfan:
Even if corruption in the states is higher than Nigeria(which I doubt it is), why do you think its not so pronounced? Because those guys actually do their work. If Nigeria was half as decent as the US, I won't give a bleep what the governors embezzle, cause I know they'd be exposed one day.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

Why are you so spiteful?

If this same city was taken and placed in Surulere or Isale Eko you would be singing its praises to kingdom come, just like you were frothing in the mouth after I posted a few unremarkable pictures of Lagos Island. You were similarly dismissive of Uyo. You need to get rid of your ethnic small-mindedness and learn to appreciate any progress in the entire country.

Stick to your views and opinions and and let me stick to mine.

Human and capital waste is progress to you, but it's not and shouldn't be to other people.

Having different views from yours is not the definition for spiteful so you might want to look up the meaning.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by christextension: 4:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
let us not be deceive by mere pictures.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Wizpa(m): 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city. Just like Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom , Abuja lacks character and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption. A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people.no wonder it empties out on weekends and during public holiday.
While China , Korea ,Thailand ,Taiwan ,Singapore ,UAE,Indonesia,Malaysia ,chile ,even Ghana etc where busy gearing up and retooling for the 21st century, nigeria was busy building a mirage.a so called showpiece.
Even brasil stopped wasting money on brazilia (the capital from which the Abuja was copied) and concentrated on where the true wealth of the country was made , kept and people lived.camberra (another show piece capital)was not created at the expense of the other cities.
Let us just keep deceiving ourselves .
The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys
your brain needs to be washed with hypo bleach and iron sponge, like seriously, its people like you that will complain if the capital city is not developed, people like you need to be hanged coz you don't wish any good for my country. I LOVE NIGERIA

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by amiskurie(m): 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
CFCfan: WoW! i'm simply blown away by the pics. Rossikk, thanks for sharing.

BTW, are u are member of "Skyscrapercity"?
I think he's a member on skyscr*** city,I am also an old member of it.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 4:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: Housing scheme for the poor and middle class? There are probably more publicly funded housing estates in Abuja than in Lagos. It's really not govt's job to build such estates if truth be told. How many housing estates has Fashola built? Lagos is filled with slums and you have the nerve to mention it in the same breath as Abuja? Have you no shame? Housing should be taken care of by the private sector. If you cannot afford to live in Abuja, go and live where you can afford. Can every Englishman afford to live in London? No. Even teachers and civil servants find themselves having to live outside London and commute to work daily there. How many Americans can wake up and say they're moving to Washington DC or New York? Very few. Why? The rents are astronomical. Cost of living super high, compared to say, Colorado or Wyoming. But in Abuja you expect all comers to have a nice affordable cheap flat ready and waitingy for them, and the same living costs as your village. Better get real.

You arrived at the conclusion that theres prob more public housing in abuja than lagos because of what? Some research that you did or from some official government data ?

I wonder why pictures of the so called housing didn't show up in your one page picture thread.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 16, 2013
tdade: Even if corruption in the states is higher than Nigeria(which I doubt it is), why do you think its not so pronounced? Because those guys actually do their work. If Nigeria was half as decent as the US, I won't give a bleep what the governors embezzle, cause I know they'd be exposed one day.

Nigeria's problems has never been corrupt government. High level of Corruption in government happens everywhere around the world. That of nigeria is just pronounced Cos the citizens seem to think that, that's the reason for the backwardness in the country; which is wrong! The major problem of Nigeria has always been NIGERIANS! And until Nigerians realize that, things will only get worse.

[b]Until nigerians realize that they are the ones making life hard for themselves, nothing will change.
abeg who are the Nepa officials not doing their job?
Who are the police officers?
Who are the vice chancellors that are not maintaining institutions well?
Who are the civil servants?

Are they politicians? Guys they are nigerians like you displaying laxities in their duties. I can tell that almost all nigerians take their duties both at work and in the society at large with levity.
What they fail to always realize is that this laxity of theirs is making a fellow nigerian to suffer and their suffering is also as a result of another nigerian failing in his duty.

To top it all, they forget leaders/politicians are chosen out of them; thereby the leaders represent what they are. I can tell most nigerians will also refuse to do their job if at all they also become a leader. Until we realize its our society who's got problem nothing will change, we will only go on in the same cycle.

[size=16pt]When Jonathan was shoeless, I can bet my life he was blaming government for everything, now that he is in power, what has he done differently? Nigerians need to use their thinking faculties and see the real problem! Start changing yourselves, your home, your society orelse things will continue to get worse(as we've been having worse leaders as each election passes). Only a dumb fellow continue to use an approach for a long time without getting a positive result and still continues in that path.[/size] I think I've said enough[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 16, 2013
Wizpa :
your brain needs to be washed with hypo bleach and iron sponge, like seriously, its people like you that will complain if the capital city is not developed, people like you need to be hanged coz you don't wish any good for my country. I LOVE NIGERIA

That is one of the major problems of Nigerians.
When things are done badly, then that's when 'Nigeria is a sh/it hole where nothing works.' Blah blah blah.
When things are done the right way, that's when 'its a waste, delusion, misplaced priority' blah blah.

Its either:
1. Nigerians are just confirmed PROFESSIONAL HYPOCRITES,
2. Nigerians don't wanna see anything good in anything (set of sadists)
OR
3. Nigerians are just a set of clueless, deluded and confused individuals who don't even know what they want.
.....to be completely fair, Nigerians are not just one but all of the above! Smh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by IkeNwanyiCalaba: 5:17pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

With your atrocious spelling you managed to escape the ''90%'' and can afford to post online and surf.

The country must be doing much better than you think.

Hey stupid man, im not quarell with you. english is not my speaking languege. even sef, you dear not challenge me in grammar superiror man to man(if you are man). lets not comot from the topic. abuja is build for mens and womens that have money. can poor man or woman have accomodetion in those building you show? show us picture of intirior nigeria. and lets see how peoples are leave in those places. i still maintein. 90 percent of nigerians leave in poverty.

mr english profesor, oloshi, oloriburuku,onyeoshi, only believe in grammertical english without decensy. mtcheeeeww.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 5:25pm On Apr 16, 2013
IkeNwanyiCalaba:

Hey stupid man, im not quarell with you. english is not my speaking languege. even sef, you dear not challenge me in grammar superiror man to man(if you are man). lets not comot from the topic. abuja is build for mens and womens that have money. can poor man or woman have accomodetion in those building you show? show us picture of intirior nigeria. and lets see how peoples are leave in those places. i still maintein. 90 percent of nigerians leave in poverty.

mr english profesor, oloshi, oloriburuku,onyeoshi, only believe in grammertical english without decensy. mtcheeeeww.

Are you one of the 90% ''leaving in poverty''? If you are, how come you can afford to waste money surfing online? If you are not, isn't that a sign that even a semi-literate like you can escape poverty in Nigeria?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 16, 2013
IkeNwanyiCalaba:

shocked grin grin grin someone tell me this is a joke!
Are you for real?
What a comic relief
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 5:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
Eko Ile:

You arrived at the conclusion that theres prob more public housing in abuja than lagos because of what? Some research that you did or from some official government data ?

I wonder why pictures of the so called housing didn't show up in your one page picture thread.

Even if they did you would dismiss them as being ''for the rich'', so what's the point? Name the housing estates ''for the masses'' built by Fashola? How many ordinary people have been housed by Fashola? Afterall the Lagos GDP is higher than everywhere else in Nigeria. So why is Lagos still filled with slums? Why did you not attack the state of those slums when I was posting pics of the nice parts in VI and Lekki? You acted like slums didn't exist. You forgot all about the Lagos slum dwelling poor while praising the rich structures on the island. Why? Because you regard Lagos as your ethnic base and are averse to criticising it. Yet you've reserved all your insults for Abuja, a place that is 50 times cleaner and more organised than Lagos. You need to rid yourself of ethnic chauvinism, because you are really transparent.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Koolking(m): 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: Not at all...lol

Good. Cheers
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2013
ifeomabernard: wow roysickkkk thanks for the uppdate kiss

You're welcome. cool
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 5:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

Even if they did you would dismiss them as being ''for the rich'', so what's the point? Name the housing estates ''for the masses'' built by Fashola? How many ordinary people have been housed by Fashola? Afterall the Lagos GDP is higher than everywhere else in Nigeria. So why is Lagos still filled with slums? Why did you not attack the state of those slums when I was posting pics of the nice parts in VI and Lekki? You acted like slums didn't exist. You forgot all about the Lagos slum dwelling poor while praising the rich structures on the island. Why? Because you regard Lagos as your ethnic base and are averse to criticising it. Yet you've reserved all your insults for Abuja, a place that is 50 times cleaner and more organised than Lagos. You need to rid of ethnic chauvinism, because you are really transparent.

The Topic is about abuja and not lagos state or fashola. If you feel like discussing lagos state or fashola, start that thread and I'll join you accordingly, but for now, it's all about abuja and this one page thing you labeled progress.

Why is my opinion killing you? Must I like what you like?

Get over yourself already.

Your GDP comment sounds like what we get from illiterates like you. GDP is a reflection of the economy and not what is going inside the state's pocket or its operating budget.

Lagos state's budget for 2012 was 485 billion while the same akwa ibom you ran your mouth about with less than 5 million passed the largest budget in Nigeria @ 632 billion.. And what did the people of Akwa get or what did you managed to show us for the 600 billion plus? same lackluster rubbish that barely fit on one NL page.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by IkeNwanyiCalaba: 5:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

You're welcome. cool

shame for u. why thanking him? have he change your life how? only he succed lieing to you.go look for accomodetion in those beutiful beutiful buildings and come back tell us what they tell you the prices is. abuja is nothing but build for big oga and big oga madam. no poor person leaving there.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ghananotnaija(m): 5:53pm On Apr 16, 2013
There's a reason why Abuja isn't a mess like Lagos or Ibadan: it's a white elephant with no real economic opportunities for the common person! It's a disgrace!

The government of Nigeria needs to go to Accra to learn how to balance economic activity with the aesthetics of a modern city. Abuja was made in the image of other failed planned capital cities like Brasilia, Canberra, Dodoma, Yaounde, kind of like those empty ghost cities the Chinese are building in the desert. What a waste of money.

But unfortunately for Nigeria, Abuja will soon be inside Bokoharamland, and will no longer be accessible to even the government.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 5:54pm On Apr 16, 2013
tdade: Sir, I grew up in London and one thing that stands out is the 'average wage' in comparison with Abuja. All English men do not live in London, accepted, but that's not to say they can't afford it. London is the economical backbone of the UK, and it can afford to retain talent. What's the average wage in Abuja?

London of course will contain a wider spectrum pay scale than Abuja, first because it is nearly 10 times the population of Abuja, and second because it is much older and bigger in size, with far many more older, cheaper tenement structures than Abuja. A bit like Lagos. Even still, it remains a VERY EXPENSIVE place to live by the standards of other UK cities. This is why you can buy a house in Manchester at often less than half the price of the same standard of house in London.

And do you mean New York the city or New York the State?

The city.

Please, what exactly does Abuja have to offer as a city besides a few high rise towers? Its merely a waste of resources.

It offers nice clean parks, wide, clean roads that are well-paved, no stinking open gutters etc etc. How is providing an ideal urban environment a ''waste of resources''? Would you rather it was a slum?

With all the slums Lagos has, if it was a country, it would be Africa's second largest economy.

No it wouldn't. Do some proper research.

Put that into perspective before comparing them both, sir.

With all the resources it has, why are there still slums in Lagos then? And why are you praising a place that's filed with slums while insulting a place that isn't?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by rolchi(m): 5:54pm On Apr 16, 2013
CFCfan:

Bernard Madoff, for example!

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ghananotnaija(m): 5:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
Why are there so many white people there in your picture acting like they own the place? Abuja is built for the whites and the rich blacks, but excludes the common Nigerian.

Ghana, on the other hand, offers automatic citizenship for every black American. See the difference? Ghana is fighting for our race, and we know which side Nigeria is on. It's still a colony of the whites.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by IkeNwanyiCalaba: 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

Are you one of the 90% ''leaving in poverty''? If you are, how come you can afford to waste money surfing online? If you are not, isn't that a sign that even a semi-literate like you can escape poverty in Nigeria?

stop taken offense. if i annoy you, please sorry my pardon. but stop the rumor mumgaring about abuja. abuja is beutiful agree. but abuja is also ridicolos in expensive. it is not for poor mases and will never become for mases. stop spreding rumor mumgaring here. nairaland is not out for decieve. thank you.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2013
ghananotnaija: There's a reason why Abuja isn't a mess like Lagos or Ibadan: it's a white elephant with no real economic opportunities for the common person! It's a disgrace!

I don't see Washington DC brimming with ''economic opportunities for the common man'' either. It's a quiet laid back civil service city which all Americans have come to accept for what it is. They don't go around calling Washington a ''white elephant''. For ''economic opportunities for the common man'', Americans move to New York or Detroit. If a Nigerian is looking for economic opportunities, he moves to Lagos, Port Harcourt or Onitsha.

The government of Nigeria needs to go to Accra to learn how to balance economic activity with the aesthetics of a modern city.

Accra is a little backwater city that cannot be compared by any sane person with Abuja. When cities are mentioned in the world, nobody mentions Accra.

Abuja was made in the image of other failed planned capital cities like Brasilia, Canberra, Dodoma, Yaounde, kind of like those empty ghost cities the Chinese are building in the desert. What a waste of money.

Abuja failed city in what sense?

''According to Dermographia, the population of Abuja's Urban Area as of 2012 is 2,245,000, making it the fourth largest urban area in Nigeria only surpassed by Lagos, Kano and Ibadan.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuja

If you call a city of 2.5 million people and rising ''failed'', you need to tell us what you're smoking.

But unfortunately for Nigeria, Abuja will soon be inside Bokoharamland, and will no longer be accessible to even the government.

Don't worry. Your evil dream will never materialize.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 6:06pm On Apr 16, 2013
ghananotnaija: Why are there so many white people there in your picture acting like they own the place? Abuja is built for the whites and the rich blacks, but excludes the common Nigerian.

Ghana, on the other hand, offers automatic citizenship for every black American. See the difference? Ghana is fighting for our race, and we know which side Nigeria is on. It's still a colony of the whites.

I can equally post pics of Accra showing foreign/white visitors. Of course Abuja is a growing international destination. It's a place with outstanding infrastructure and will therefore attract foreigners. Maybe if your govt fixed up Accra a bit more and stopped stealing all your gold and cocoa wealth, which should ordinarily make you like Kuwait given your tiny population, you'd have more to brag about. Among other public facilities, Abuja contains the largest housing estate in Africa (Gwarinpa) built to house thousands of civil servants, so it's absurd to say it caters to only ''whites and rich blacks''. I suggest you actually visit the place and see things for yourself rather than parroting what you've heard from malcontents.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 6:14pm On Apr 16, 2013
Eko Ile:

The Topic is about abuja and not lagos state or fashola. If you feel like discussing lagos state or fashola, start that thread and I'll join you accordingly, but for now, it's all about abuja and this one page thing you labeled progress.

Why is my opinion killing you? Must I like what you like?

Get over yourself already.

I'm just amazed by your gross hypocrisy and double standards that's all.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 6:54pm On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk:

I'm just amazed by your gross hypocrisy and double standards that's all.

You obviously don't know the meaning of hypocrisy. Yawnzzzz regardless anyways..
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 16, 2013
OP THNKS A MILLION!

KEEP POSTING FOR THESE IGNORANT BACKYARD LAGOSIANS LIKE EKO ILE SO THEY CAN SEE THE DUMP SITE THEY CALL A CITY

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Surrounded By Soldiers In Rivers State (Video) / Tinubu Releases Lagos Governorship Primary Statement After Ambode's Brickbats / Temitope Adunni Akinsanya: House Built By MC Oluomo's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.