Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,868 members, 7,876,304 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:23 PM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42210 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann: Breaking News Feminists!!

Anti abortion laws passed in Kansas, Ohio and (very soon) Texas cool
Closely watching North Carolina and Florida

This bloodshed must end.
Pregnant women can travel to more civilized countries where it is legal.

And there are always back alley abortionists that can do it in secret smiley
dem boku full Nigeria sef even though abortion is illegal in this country.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:17am On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:

That was nice to read smiley smiley smiley
And yes, they don't represent all Nigerian men but they are still plenty sha.

yippee// a silver lining...
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:19am On Jul 04, 2013
I.Joan:

Now I see where the need to be a feminist stems from!
Between...anyone here seen Django Unchained... That movie is off the hook! It is highly recommended cool

I have seen it and loved the movie

The D is silent cheesy

What parts of the plot moved you
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 10:20am On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:

That will endanger the life of the woman sef

I believe the law outlaws abortions above 20 months weeks?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
davidylan:
well why dont you start with your muslim "brothers". they seem to be the ones who teach that it is ok to whip your wifey's butt insha allah. grin
But I have done that before in the Muslim section. I don't support wife beating whether anyone thinks their god sanctions it or not.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
I.Joan:

Now I see where the need to be a feminist stems from!
Between...
Shut up! Don't try to psychoanalyze me because you know nothing about me.
Btw doesn't mean between, it means by the way
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:
That will endanger the life of the woman sef
I believe the law outlaws abortions above 20 months?
Pregnancies typically last for just nine months. . . . . .
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 2:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:

I meant women patronising quacks to do quick abortions will endanger their own lives
It is better off they avoid preganancies altogether via birth control

haba... now you want to teach me gestation of human babies grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 3:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:

Why not, you feminists are willing to empower women with unwanted pregnancy to travel to Europe to get an abortion but no one is willing to emphasize prevention of unwanted pregnancy and personal responsibility.

fellis:

He meant to say 20weeks. The Texas anti abprtion law was for abortions beyond 20th week of gestation. Una fit do am by 19th week o, still dem de vex.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann:
Why not, you feminists are willing to empower women with unwanted pregnancy to travel to Europe to get an abortion but no one is willing to emphasize prevention of unwanted pregnancy and personal responsibility.
That's not true. Legalizing abortion does not automatically mean that women will go about sleeping with many men and stop worrying about pregnancies. Even if abortion is legalized, women will still use protection because they stand the risk of contacting STDs if they don't. Besides, abortions are risky business and can lead to a woman's death or loss of her womb. Its not like women are going to rush into doing it as soon as they get the chance just because its legal. They just want the option to be there, they want to be free to get abortions when necessary and at whatever stage of the pregnancy they want it.

He meant to say 20weeks. The Texas anti abprtion law was for abortions beyond 20th week of gestation
Instead of him to admit that he made a mistake he is telling me that I want to teach him gestation. I tire for that guy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:
That's not true. Legalizing abortion does not automatically mean that women will go about sleeping with many men and stop worrying about pregnancies. Even if abortion is legalized, women will still use protection because they stand the risk of contacting STDs if they don't. Besides, abortions are risky business and can lead to a woman's death or loss of her womb. Its not like women are going to rush into doing it as soon as they get the chance just because its legal. They just want the option to be there, they want to be free to get abortions when necessary and at whatever stage of the pregnancy they want it.
ok, I get that. Lets just say, we disagree on abortion. Just as you are pro women's right pro abortion, I'm anti-abortion. We will never agree on that. smiley

Instead of him to admit that he made a mistake he is telling me that I want to teach him gestation. I tire for that guy

I think he loves you cheesy
Why don't you guys exchange phone numbers and addresses, lets take it from there. . . . . . cheesy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 4:14pm On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann: ok, I get that. Lets just say, we disagree on abortion. Just as you are pro women's right pro abortion, I'm anti-abortion. We will never agree on that. smiley

Why don't you guys exchange phone numbers and addresses, lets take it from there. . . . . . cheesy

OH finally I get the statement on the 9 months... i am just seeing i made a mistake
My mind was on something else at the same and i wrote months instead of weeks

fellis, you mean admitting weeks when you and i know it was weeks i meant is why you called me a liar

Haba.. do you have this deep a need to be right especially where guys are concerned?

I meant weeks, slip of pen i wrote months.. bite me
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 4:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann:

He meant to say 20weeks. The Texas anti abprtion law was for abortions beyond 20th week of gestation. Una fit do am by 19th week o, still dem de vex.

Thanks for pointing this out,,....
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 04, 2013
fellis:
Shut up! Don't try to psychoanalyze me because you know nothing about me.
Btw doesn't mean between, it means by the way

Yes ma!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:

I have seen it and loved the movie

The D is silent cheesy

What parts of the plot moved you

Every dialogue that involved the German Doctor!
And the shooting scenes...
I like the way he blew that guy's head(the 3rd brittle brother) off from a distance...
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
I.Joan:

Every dialogue that involved the German Doctor!
And the shooting scenes...
I like the way he blew that guy's head(the 3rd brittle brother) off from a distance...

Chris Waltz is the bomb,.... sad he was killed though
Have u seen Inglorious Basterds..
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:

Chris Waltz is the bomb,.... sad he was killed though
Have u seen Inglorious Basterds..

Same here!

Nope... not yet!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
I.Joan:

Same here!

Nope... not yet!

get it... cool movie

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann: ok, I get that. Lets just say, we disagree on abortion. Just as you are pro women's right pro abortion, I'm anti-abortion. We will never agree on that. :
No wahala.

cheesy Biolabee is a happily married man, we no fit date
[s]his wife is a nairalander sef so she fit catch us if we try anything[/s]
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 04, 2013
biolabee:

OH finally I get the statement on the 9 months... i am just seeing i made a mistake
My mind was on something else at the same and i wrote months instead of weeks

fellis, you mean admitting weeks when you and i know it was weeks i meant is why you called me a liar

Haba.. do you have this deep a need to be right especially where guys are concerned?

I meant weeks, slip of pen i wrote months.. bite me

This man, calm down naaa cheesy

I never called you a liar because of the 20 months thing. You're probably mistaking me for someone else
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by dragunov: 10:46pm On Jul 04, 2013
99cent:

again, why is it ok that the men can do all these horrible things and go scot free while women are persecuted and blamed for ills?
yes they did "wrong" to open their legs or walk alone on the street or wear clothes that make them look hot.
but are you now advocating that women should wear burqa because otherwise, they are at fault if anything bad happens in society?
do you prefer that we turn into a muslim society?
god forbid the day we start stoning women. like they do in northern nigeria and middle east.
is that exactly what u are trying to say?

some women choose to be single mothers. they want a good husband and when they can't find one, they choose to raise a child single handedly. not every woman is lucky enough to find a husband who has a job/ offers to be a househusband if he is jobless. LOL
I've been following this thread for a while and something seems to keep catching my attention: your ability to spew whacked up opinions; and a tendency to argue out of point. Its awe inspiring.

5 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 3:18am On Jul 05, 2013
dragunov: I've been following this thread for a while and something seems to keep catching my attention: your ability to spew whacked up opinions; and a tendency to argue out of point. Its awe inspiring.

We are looking for any good guy to help us marry her. A light skinned guy will be an advantage. Mulatto is even better. If you can get us any white guy. . . Problem solved.
Can you help us undecided
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 5:56am On Jul 05, 2013
fellis:

This man, calm down naaa cheesy

I never called you a liar because of the 20 months thing. You're probably mistaking me for someone else

Ok but I meant 20 weeks though

Do you think abortion should not be outlawed after 20 weeks
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 5:57am On Jul 05, 2013
toshmann:

We are looking for any good guy to help us marry her. A light skinned guy will be an advantage. Mulatto is even better. If you can get us any white guy. . . Problem solved.
Can you help us undecided

Badt guyz
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:12am On Jul 05, 2013
@toshmman and biolabee,
you both want abortion to be illegal. what do you suppose the punishment for abortion should be? should women who perform abortion be convicted as murderers and sent to jail? they should be punished the state or by God?
watch this youtube video

anti-abortionists are just radical/extremist christians. not any different from radical terrorist islamist. both oppress women and use religion to justify their scapegoating of the poor (more likely to have abortions) and marginalized (women, children, gays etc)!!

there is such thing as separation of church and state for a reason. if you don't support abortion. keep ur views private to yourself. next they will be calling to jail single mothers. these are the most dangerous terrorists society should be most watchful of. the ones in our midst. the extremist christians/homophobics/women-oppressors etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD97OVJ4PNw

In the video below, Chomsky of course touches on the fact that women who perform abortions tend to be lower income and lack the proper access to health care and information. And that anti-abortionists should rather concern themselves with issues of high mortality, child infectious disease and health care if they are genuinely concerned about children.
towards the end of this video, you see footage of an extremist "christian" proposing that anyone who says "goddamn" in public should be executed for the crime of blasphemy. he also goes on to say that gays (he calls them sodomists) and feminists should also be executed! This is a right-wing christian. your typical anti-abortionist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RU2LqA1FQ
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 6:52am On Jul 05, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 05, 2013
99cent:
anti-abortionists are just radical/extremist christians.

This is incendiary, meaningless propaganda. Its funny that those who accuse others of "intolerance" are themselves perfect examples of bigotry. Just because someone does not agree with wanton, irresponsible murder of children who are capable of surviving outside the womb... you now label them radical extremists? Forgive me if i thought you were the same hypocritical sheeple bleating about "rights". I have a right to my opinions too without being called a bigot for it.

99cent:
not any different from radical terrorist islamist.

and the despicable, irrelevant hyperbole continues. Adults who exercise their right to protest against deliberate killing of babies are now equivalent to suicide bombers? What idiocy.

99cent:
both oppress women and use religion to justify their scapegoating of the poor (more likely to have abortions) and marginalized (women, children, gays etc)!!

Aww... asking women to stop murdering babies = oppressing and marginalizing them? Aww the poor little doves. Why we should open up our hospitals and allow mothers to kill their 1-month babies if they dont like the size of their noses too no?

The hypocrisy here is that she groups children as part of the oppressed and marginalized groups that she is fighting to uphold their rights... you know those same children who wont have gotten a chance at life if their abortion-for-all-whenever-however agenda had been law.

99cent:
there is such thing as separation of church and state for a reason.

not every anti-abortionist is christian. That is a baseless smear.

99cent:
if you don't support abortion. keep ur views private to yourself.

And just exactly why do you feel only you have a right to air your view? I had no idea democracy was about muzzling the opinions of others and forcing them to speak only in private.

99cent:
next they will be calling to jail single mothers.

Again more decietful hysteria. the point isnt that she actually believes anyone will be jailing single mothers... but she needs to use this to whip up an emotional response by baselessly casting aspersions at others who have committed the crime (gasp) of daring to hold a different opinion from hers.

99cent:
these are the most dangerous terrorists society should be most watchful of. the ones in our midst. the extremist christians/homophobics/women-oppressors etc

The true terrorists are people like you... people who, if giving the power, will absolutely seek to destroy the religious freedoms of others because they dont square with your liberal idea. Its funny how those who are in favor of wanton murder of innocent children accuse those who would rather give those kids life... terrorists. the world is truly upside down when killers call non-killers murderers.

If these bunch where alive in the days of Mary Slessor, they would have hanged her in saliva-dripping unhinged hysteria for daring to oppose the natives ritual of killing twins.

99cent:
In the video below, Chomsky of course touches on the fact that women who perform abortions tend to be lower income and lack the proper access to health care and information. And that anti-abortionists should rather concern themselves with issues of high mortality, child infectious disease and health care if they are genuinely concerned about children.
towards the end of this video, you see footage of an extremist "christian" proposing that anyone who says "goddamn" in public should be executed for the crime of blasphemy. he also goes on to say that gays (he calls them sodomists) and feminists should also be executed! This is a right-wing christian. your typical anti-abortionist.

One wonders why the pro-abortionists care nothing for the above either.

4 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 05, 2013
99cent: relevant thread
https://www.nairaland.com/1342733/why-women-remain-terrible-abusive

Actually the thread is irrelevant.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 7:03am On Jul 05, 2013
Morning 99cent another hasty assumption from yourself as a lot of the statementsyou have made here

You can ask me about my opinion on abortion

I believe a foetus has life and should not be killed however i recognise a bigger crime is letting an unwanted child come into this world and due to lack of love become a criminal or a liability, so abortion should be allowed

I believe men and woman should exercise birth control responsibly to avoid pregnancies in the first place

I think after 5 - 6 months aborting a foetus is dangerous to the woman
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
99cent: @toshmman and biolabee,
you both want abortion to be illegal. what do you suppose the punishment for abortion should be? should women who perform abortion be convicted as murderers and sent to jail? they should be punished the state or by God?
watch this youtube video

Even the YouTube video you put up shows that the anti abortion campaigners have hardly thought of punishing the women. cheesy
All they think of is stopping the killing of yet-to-be-born-babies. Doesn't that contradict your opinion of me

anti-abortionists are just radical/extremist christians. not any different from radical terrorist islamist. both oppress women and use religion to justify their scapegoating of the poor (more likely to have abortions) and marginalized (women, children, gays etc)!!

If the only thing you know about terrorist Islamic extremists is oppression of women then you should start listening to real news. Terrorists kill. That's what they do. Hence, ipso facto, they have more in common with abortionists bc they both kill!

there is such thing as separation of church and state for a reason. if you don't support abortion. keep ur views private to yourself. next they will be calling to jail single mothers. these are the most dangerous terrorists society should be most watchful of. the ones in our midst. the extremist christians/homophobics/women-oppressors etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD97OVJ4PNw

Your YouTube video contradicts your notion. People have been campaigning to end abortion for 5yr and they have never thought of what the punishment for it should be.
That's the mind-set of anti abortionists. Just stop the killing of these babies. Period! We hope abortionists will listen. We don't even have plans for punishment, except in the mind of 99cent grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RU2LqA1FQ

I'm yet to watch the second video but let me say, I also fight for universal healthcare.
When I mentioned it in an earlier posts some people laughed at me bc I said I'm republican. You guys confuse republicanism with the tea party of today. One of the first presidents to propose health reform was teddy Roosevelt. Republican president from 1901-1909. Also Richard Nixon (republican president from 1969-1974/5)

Even Bob Dole proposed a health reform that is more liberal than what Obama did (which he largely copied from what Romney did) .

I can speak for myself, I care. I really do care. Take care of the poor, end abortions, make the world a better place.

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2013
toshmann:
I'm yet to watch the second video but let me say, I also fight for universal healthcare.
When I mentioned it in an earlier posts some people laughed at me bc I said I'm republican. You guys confuse republicanism with the tea party of today. One of the first presidents to propose health reform was teddy Roosevelt. Republican president from 1901-1909. Also Richard Nixon (republican president from 1969-1974/5)

Even Bob Dole proposed a health reform that is more liberal than what Obama did (which he largely copied from what Romney did) .

I can speak for myself, I care. I really do care. Take care of the poor, end abortions, make the world a better place.

The above is the reason i am convinced the reflexive, thoughtless, mob-mentality opposition to Obamacare has more to do with the color of his skin than anything else.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
davidylan:

This is incendiary, meaningless propaganda. Its funny that those who accuse others of "intolerance" are themselves perfect examples of bigotry. Just because someone does not agree with wanton, irresponsible murder of children who are capable of surviving outside the womb... you now label them radical extremists? Forgive me if i thought you were the same hypocritical sheeple bleating about "rights". I have a right to my opinions too without being called a bigot for it.

Answer the question. If abortion is made illegal (as your wish), what punishment do you feel is most appropriate for the woman committing the abortion? should she be sentenced as a murderer?
VERY SIMPLE QUESTION. you typed out a whole book in your post and did not once answer the very simple question.

same to you biolabee and toshman. answer the question.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (42) (Reply)

Boma Goodhead Challenges Armed DSS Officer: 'I Dare You To Shoot This Bullet' / President Buhari In Abakaliki, Shuns Guard Of Honour / The Moment Ifeanyi Uba & Fayose Stormed Ekwueme Square, Awka- PICTURES

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.