Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,832 members, 7,872,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text (38585 Views)

Adopt Jonathan’s National Conference Report – Bakare Tells Buhari / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) / Jonathan's National Conference Is Due To His Second Term Fear-he May Break Nigr. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by icedpope(m): 10:12pm On May 14, 2013
Indeed...... Let's wait nd see
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by idriis: 10:12pm On May 14, 2013
Finally, Oga Gej don soji. E be like hin don remove that bola hat. Nice move, wonder what the long wait is for!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Mccullum: 10:12pm On May 14, 2013
Why mr president always lack full boldness to some critical decision for interest of this Nigerian State, this type state of emergency is very strange to me, though it is good but why it did not affected the governors of those states, is president trying to placate them? because the state emergency of US in 1863 when Abraham Lincon was the US president it affected all governors of the Southern States that rebelled against the union, while Obasanjo all did exactly like that during his era. we need bold president & not coward.. may God help our GEJ.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by papaejima1: 10:16pm On May 14, 2013
fkaz: 15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

The bolded got me confused cool how would a state governor discharge his constitutional responsibilities and you said you declared state of emergency in the state. The state governor still remain the chief security officer of the state.
BTW the JTF has been searching, locking-down area suspected to be terrorist hide-out before now, with the state governor discharging their duty.

I tire for this kind of leader
My thought exactly. That's no state of emergency.
All those conniving governors should be kicked out of office ASAP with a military guy in charge. That way we go know who go run!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by shineeye1: 10:16pm On May 14, 2013
This speech does not seem to have its origin in Jonathan. As a result, I don't believe he is able to walk the talk. Nonetheless, this is the speech of the moment. The rhytym of its proclamation is balanced. A watch dog without functioning teeth is useless. A government that can't bare it's fangs is likewise useless. The time of silly politics and baby talks have come to an end. Any bloody mafia who dares the present mood must be seen to take a taste of sovereign resolve. Can Jonathan walk this talk? The answer will determine Nigeria!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Phikom(m): 10:19pm On May 14, 2013
peace be in Nigeria I pray....
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by captaindaylay(m): 10:22pm On May 14, 2013
This is looong overdue.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by elpatch(m): 10:24pm On May 14, 2013
The latest option worth the shot after all negotiation cum amnesty seems like a failed voyage.good one sir.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Smooyis(m): 10:26pm On May 14, 2013
Why leave the Governors behind? Are they PDP governors? If yes that is too bad. Decisions on national security should not be influenced by politics. Good move all the same.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Uziehot(m): 10:32pm On May 14, 2013
Hope he wont reverse it ooo. We all knw hw it went down abt; football issue wen he was new,MAULAG,And d currency issue. Wel,its a welcome dev.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Limaoscar: 10:33pm On May 14, 2013
19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

Excellent development. I particularly pictured President Obama (Rabbit ears) when I read the above.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Ifeminikan1(m): 10:36pm On May 14, 2013
Uchpappi: what i don't understand is why he left all the politicians in those states to occupy their seats knowing fully well that some of them work with these terrorists. if the politicians still control the resources of those states then what he has simply done is renaming what has already been in place. In my opinion he should have removed all the politicians and maybe leave only the governor as a figure head

For now state of emergency have bin declare, the military have taken over now with the governors sits but after the situation is down and successful, the politicians will resume back their positions and continue from where they have stop. That is wat mr president meant with those words
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Limaoscar: 10:38pm On May 14, 2013
Commander In Chief, Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan(GCON) has spoken, anybody or group of Persons not happy with the Constitutional declaration of STATE OF EMERGENCY in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa, should go and hang TRANSFORMER or move out of Nigeria voluntarily with immediate effect.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigera

The ADC no sabi salute ni. Mr President did it better, see the ADC's scattered fingers
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by olatunde1234: 10:49pm On May 14, 2013
Ifeminikan1:

For now state of emergency have bin declare, the military have taken over now with the governors sits but after the situation is down and successful, the politicians will resume back their positions and continue from where they have stop. That is wat mr president meant with those words
Ifeminikan1:

Ifeminikan1:

Thanks for correcting Presidential speech
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by mymz(f): 10:50pm On May 14, 2013
jude33084:

MumU

No need for insults mister. Not everyone is as dumb as resorting to insults even before making his/her opinion known. Did you understand my post or are you just seeking attention? Do you require the R-E-T-A-R-D ALERT?
what seems to be the problem Jude? Does the word "Amnesty" get your rocks off?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Limaoscar: 10:52pm On May 14, 2013
Why should the state Governors still be at the helms of affair if it is indeed a state of emergency? haven't they failed enough? I guess the president is too timid to confront the state governors. I pray for one brave officer to plan a successful coup and delete some of these polilooters.

It is largely because of this sort of skewed thinking that the President acted in Wisdom by not letting the military take full control of those states.

This Man, Mr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is a politically/democratically elected President and not the leader of a military junta. His decisions must at best line-up with the tenets of a democratic government. If He toes your poor reasoning, then we will be taking thousands of steps backwards and away from civilization
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by stankezzy: 10:57pm On May 14, 2013
Monimatic: Commander In Chief, Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan(GCON) has spoken, anybody or group of Persons not happy with the Constitutional declaration of STATE OF EMERGENCY in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa, should go and hang TRANSFORMER or move out of Nigeria voluntarily with immediate effect.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigera
where are we going to hang the transformer,is it on a tree or house.u go come speak english wey u no no the meaning because u de hear people speak am .abi ?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by 13volts(m): 10:59pm On May 14, 2013
The military has enjoyed full access and support of the governments in the affected states. The military also enjoyed the full privileges of using force – many times excessive – on any citizen they without hindrance from the state governments in the past two years.

So what exactly has hindered the military so much that they needed to compel Mr. President to give them a state of emergency to operate under? I am at loss here – completely. What has the state of emergency achieved when it was declared under this regime in some local governments including those now under Boko Haram occupation?

I need to be convinced how declaration of the state of emergency could make Boko Haram an exception.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by tunjidj3: 11:03pm On May 14, 2013
good speech and good timely decision by mr president but the speech is with a little compromise,what are the governors and the political office holder still doing when they cant prover solution to the problem instead they are happy awaiting for amnesty money. In my own opinion there cant be absolute peace in the region in asmuch these same people are still in control,their should be total discharge of state of emergency power by removing the governors and all political office holder if we want to get result within sort period of time in order to allow military personel to flush out the bad head in the state. Long live federal republic of nigeria.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 14, 2013
Our flag is a lie- no peace, no agriculture, nothing.

Fix it fast!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by iLUMeN8(m): 11:22pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ just made official what has been in existence in the north east for the past two years. Those JTF guys are the meanest and most unfriendly set of human beings I have ever met. Those guys shoot first and ask questions later. Inspite of their actions, boko haram insurgency is still waxing stronger in the north east. GEJ should try another tactic cos this one ain't gonna work.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:34pm On May 14, 2013
aligwe07: Nice one Mr president.Thanks for being the best president ever.God Guide and protect you from evil.so as one man (jesus christ) isn't accepted by everyone as his/her lord and personal saviour you cannot solve all our problems in Nigeria but I know that you'll go down in our history books as one of the most fair and democratic president ever.God bless you sir as he helps you conquer your enemies.
you seem sooo deluded by calling this man snail-style system of leadership the best president ever. Plz take some drugs. This declaration is long overdue! He shud remove the governors!! Fear fear presido!!!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:35pm On May 14, 2013
iLUMeN8: GEJ just made official what has been in existence in the north east for the past two years. Those JTF guys are the meanest and most unfriendly set of human beings I have ever met. Those guys shoot first and ask questions later. Inspite of their actions, boko haram insurgency is still waxing stronger in the north east. GEJ should try another tactic cos this one ain't gonna work.
for your mind you be security consultant abi?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:36pm On May 14, 2013
Rap maestro: How does that solve the problem? Can someone explain it to me.... Wtf,
e b like say u be aboki
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:38pm On May 14, 2013
fkaz: 15.The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

The bolded got me confused cool how would a state governor discharge his constitutional responsibilities and you said you declared state of emergency in the state. The state governor still remain the chief security officer of the state.
BTW the JTF has been searching, locking-down area suspected to be terrorist hide-out before now, with the state governor discharging their duty.

I tire for this kind of leader
you just dey tire for am now... We don tire for Jona even before him enter...d man na alomo!
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:39pm On May 14, 2013
mymz: "19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror".

No you did not just try to copy Obama's statement on terror @the bolded. i thought you were going to find, fish, flush, hunt, catch, bind, tie them and give them amnesty? undecided
....lol
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Jomark(m): 11:40pm On May 14, 2013
Queen1: State of Emergency isn't rily going to solve anything jare... Na today?
you drink alom 2day?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by fallingsky(m): 11:43pm On May 14, 2013
Welcome development nd nice decision!!! Kudos Mr President.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by ja2wa: 11:53pm On May 14, 2013
Good move, but is d life of citizens in d areas safe?
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Nobody: 12:01am On May 15, 2013
Not a bit short of what I expected from the President. This speech has no hope in it, a TV broadcaster would have as well written something better and read it in a more stylish way. I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR GEJ AGAIN.......
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by Rossikk(m): 12:11am On May 15, 2013
Why should Jonathan remove the duly elected state politicians and governors? The state administrations are not responsible for security. The police and army are not state-controlled but federal. Sacking of governors and state houses of assembly would be a miscarriage of justice. Such an act would be appropriate in a place like the USA where states run their own police and para-military forces, not Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan's National Broadcast May 14, 2013 - Full Text by kooto(m): 12:54am On May 15, 2013
snowytee: But why didn't he relinquish power from the governors at least for the mean time.Those fools that have watched things go awry.Good one Bro Jonah
I also asked myself exactly what you posted; on second thought, I think what GEJ did is let the governos, state reps and commissioners continue their duties, but anything security in those states they have no say

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Copy Of The SSS Memo That Suspended Marilyn Ogar, Others / All PDP Presidential Aspirants On A Visit To Sokoto (pics) / Atiku Reacts Over 'killing & Secret Burial Of 1000 Nigerian Soldiers'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.