Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:55 PM

The Basis Of Human Morality - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Basis Of Human Morality (13683 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / The Decent Of Human Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:24pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Why a praying mantis, why not a chicken, a gorrilla, a dog, a shark or an ant. What exactly is this "significant" difference that prescribes what moral actions a man ought to take?

Not to mention the fact that there are animals of extra-ordinary intelligence, self consciousness and sense of society such as Dolphins, Dogs, Lions and many others.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:24pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

What is the meaning of this? ? ? ? ? ? Abeg I don tire reading arrant NANSENSE this morning.

Go the the ward for pathological comedians and tell the Director there that I highly recommend you. He will gladly receive you.

Morning!

Another hissy fit this time followed by a rage quit. Just what I've come to expect from such childish ideas.

Call me when you're ready for something more mature.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:25pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Why a praying mantis, why not a chicken, a gorrilla, a dog, a shark or an ant. What exactly is this "significant" difference that prescribes what moral actions a man ought to take?

Why not praying mantis? Its the example I want to use. My question is whether or not there is a significant difference between humans and the preying mantis.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:25pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Whether or not it is appropriate for humans to treat each other in that way.
What exactly defines what is appropriate or inappropriate?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:26pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

Not to mention the fact that there are animals of extra-ordinary intelligence, self consciousness and sense of society such as Dolphins, Dogs, Lions and many others.

Yes. That is why they've come up with the Pythagoras' theorem and used similar concepts to modify their environment and themselves.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:27pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
What exactly defines what is appropriate or inappropriate?

As I said before, judgement, science, empathy, biology and other such features.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:29pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Whether or not it is appropriate for humans to treat each other in that way.

For once in your life dear sir, please put on your thinking hat and ask your self these questions. I do not trust your capacity to dwell on them so I make a special request. My special request is that you do not respond immediately. Sleep over it, dwell hard on it, and give me a response tomorrow. I mean no offence by saying this. I genuinely mean to ask you to just dwell on it for some time, as I believe that if you respond immediately, your fixed views will automatically kick in.

Here is what I want you to reflect on.

1. Are humans predatory territorial animals?

2. Do predatory territorial animals fight and kill one another for resources, territory and se.xual mates?

3. Is this in fact observable among humans?

Thank you.

Please, no knee jerk reaction. Think on it till tomorrow.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:30pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Why not praying mantis? Its the example I want to use. My question is whether or not there is a significant difference between humans and the preying mantis.
"significant" is a very vague and relative word and the praying mantis is an example you've invented to help you escape. You've said here that human moral precepts are not derived from animals. If all the examples I suggested count as animals, then they are all equally valid.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:35pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

As I said before, judgement, science, empathy, biology and other such features.
Yeah but lions have empathy for other lions they will help a wounded lion in a fight yet a male lion will kill another male lion to take over his pride. Is that action immoral?

Dogs also have empathy, they have been known to rescue other dogs and even human children in danger yet male dogs force themselves upon female dogs. Is the action of a dog raping another dog immoral?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Yes. That is why they've come up with the Pythagoras' theorem and used similar concepts to modify their environment and themselves.

Dont even be having a laugh. The Pythagoras theory has nothing to do with morality. On the other hand, a sense of society, has everything to do with morality and these animals have very advanced senses of society.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:38pm On May 26, 2013
I wonder if thehomer is acquainted with the order and sense of society within a pack of wolves.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:40pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Yeah but lions have empathy for other lions

EMPATHY! THE BIG WORD! THE VERY BASIS OF MORALITY!

LIONS DISPLAY MASSIVE EMPATHY AND YET THEHOMER WOULD NOT HOLD THEM IMMORAL OR AMMORAL FOR THEIT ACTS OF MURDER AND PLUNDER!
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:42pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:
I wonder if thehomer is acquainted with the order and sense of society within a pack of wolves.
Thehomer's arguments sound to me like specieism.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:43pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

For once in your life dear sir, please put on your thinking hat and ask your self these questions. I do not trust your capacity to dwell on them so I make a special request. My special request is that you do not respond immediately. Sleep over it, dwell hard on it, and give me a response tomorrow. I mean no offence by saying this. I genuinely mean to ask you to just dwell on it for some time, as I believe that if you respond immediately, your fixed views will automatically kick in.

Here is what I want you to reflect on.

1. Are humans predatory territorial animals?

2. Do predatory territorial animals fight and kill one another for resources, territory and se.xual mates?

3. Is this in fact observable among humans?

Thank you.

Please, no knee jerk reaction. Think on it till tomorrow.

I hope you take that time to reflect on the simple questions I've asked you because your tantrums don't help you. Answering them would have helped move you away from the sorts of simplistic ideas you're presenting.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:45pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
"significant" is a very vague and relative word and the praying mantis is an example you've invented to help you escape. You've said here that human moral precepts are not derived from animals. If all the examples I suggested count as animals, then they are all equally valid.

Many words are relative. It doesn't suddenly stop them from being useful. I didn't invent the praying mantis, it is a real animal that illustrates my point.

If you think they're equally valid, then you're welcome to show that they are.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:46pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

I hope you take that time to reflect on the simple questions I've asked you because your tantrums don't help you. Answering them would have helped move you away from the sorts of simplistic ideas you're presenting.

I will. So do we have a deal?

I answered your question. But present the question you have in mind again, and so long as you promise to dwell on what I have presented and give me an answer tomorrow, I will equally dwell on what you present and give you an answer tomorrow. Make your questions as concise and to the core of your point as possible.

Deal?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:47pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Yeah but lions have empathy for other lions they will help a wounded lion in a fight yet a male lion will kill another male lion to take over his pride. Is that action immoral?

Lions aren't the sorts of creatures that make moral judgements.

Mr anony:
Dogs also have empathy, they have been known to rescue other dogs and even human children in danger yet male dogs force themselves upon female dogs. Is the action of a dog raping another dog immoral?

Dogs aren't the sorts of creatures that make moral judgements.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:48pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

LIONS DISPLAY MASSIVE EMPATHY AND YET THEHOMER WOULD NOT HOLD THEM IMMORAL OR AMMORAL FOR THEIT ACTS OF MURDER AND PLUNDER!
Lol, This is what tends to happen when a persons swings from base to base employing whichever argument he deems fit to help him escape a particular situation.

While I think the lad quite brilliant, I have never really known thehomer to present a logically consistent worldview. He has perfected the art of switching presuppositions halfway through an argument and then back again.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:49pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

Dont even be having a laugh. The Pythagoras theory has nothing to do with morality. On the other hand, a sense of society, has everything to do with morality and these animals have very advanced senses of society.

I didn't say Pythagoras' theorem had something to do with morality, I was just pointing out a significant difference between humans and the praying mantis. Yes. Their sense of society is so advanced that they can practice a feudal system of government or a capitalist one.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:49pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Dogs aren't the sorts of creatures that make moral judgements.
Why not?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:51pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

Yes. Just the other day, a wolf was talking about changing from the social group of a pack to one based on capitalism.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:51pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Many words are relative. It doesn't suddenly stop them from being useful. I didn't invent the praying mantis, it is a real animal that illustrates my point.

If you think they're equally valid, then you're welcome to show that they are.
a praying mantis is as much an animal as all of my examples. If you think it isn't, you are welcome to show that it isn't.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:52pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:53pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

Sure massive empathy is all that is needed. That is why they would kill off other cubs and take over kills they didn't make. They've even started running a system of determining who would lead the pack by voting.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:54pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Yes. Just the other day, a wolf was talking about changing from the social group of a pack to one based on capitalism.
Pardon me but from an evolutionary perpective, this is no different from saying

Just the other day, a man was growling to the moonlight and running on all fours.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 12:58pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

Sure massive empathy is all that is needed. That is why they would kill off other cubs and take over kills they didn't make. They've even started running a system of determining who would lead the pack by voting.
again he switches
.........[size=13pt]The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he argues that morality is based on empathy and judgment then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that animals with empathy and judgment are not the sort of animals that make moral decisions[/size].......
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 12:58pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Why not?

You know, I've answered more than my share of questions here. I'll answer this and you'll have to answer questions that I already posed before that you ignored.

It is a fact of their biology.

What is God's nature? What is his purpose?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 12:59pm On May 26, 2013
thehomer:

It is amazing that you do not see that for 99 per cent of human history, most human societies have been run based on dominance and subjugation by violence exactly as happens with other social predatory territorial animals. . . . . .
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 1:00pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
Thehomer's arguments sound to me like specieism.

You say this as if there are no significant differences between the species.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 1:01pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
again he switches

.........The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he argues that morality is based on empathy and judgment then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that animals with empathy and judgment are not the sort of animals that make moral decisions.......

[size=30pt]! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ![/size]
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 1:02pm On May 26, 2013
Deep Sight:

I will. So do we have a deal?

I answered your question. But present the question you have in mind again, and so long as you promise to dwell on what I have presented and give me an answer tomorrow, I will equally dwell on what you present and give you an answer tomorrow. Make your questions as concise and to the core of your point as possible.

Deal?

Here is is again.

thehomer:
Do you think that the fact that humans are "smarter" and can exercise judgement is something significantly different?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 1:04pm On May 26, 2013
Mr anony:
a praying mantis is as much an animal as all of my examples. If you think it isn't, you are welcome to show that it isn't.

I didn't say it wasn't an animal. It was the one I chose to make my point using that as an example. You on the other hand just seem to be confused about the point.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo’s N2 Billion Assault Lawsuit: Court Fixes July 12 For Judgment / Villagers Refused Us To Bury Our Brother Because We Converted To Christianity / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.