Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:53 PM

The Basis Of Human Morality - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Basis Of Human Morality (13682 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / The Decent Of Human Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 4:33pm On May 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Please lay the contradicting position side by side for me to see.

I would, if i believed it would make any difference. You would simply revert saying that you have not said that your name is X; and as such, I cannot waste my time with such work with you; sorry, no offence intended at all.

I no longer have any quarrels or contentions with any of my four siblings because I see the hand-writing on the wall from a mile away, and I discern clearly when someone will never see a point, long before it comes to the point of trying to make them see the point.

I'm evolving.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 4:38pm On May 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

What do you mean Suddenly adopt that stance? I'm terribly sorry if I said anything previously that contradicted that stance. Please show me where I did so so that I can make amends.
I have not said that you contradicted yourself at all. I am only wondering why you would bother going through a long argument on morality if in the end you'll say that we don't and cannot know anything.

If we don't and cannot know anything, how do you know that it is true that we don't and cannot know anything? Shouldn't you rather be saying that you believe strongly that we cannot know anything? To which anyone can simply reply with "I know that you do in fact know some things" . . .and you can't really respond because you cannot know that he knows that you know some things. You can only "believe strongly" that he doesn't.

You see the problem is that you have led yourself into an absurd position just so that you can escape bearing the burden of the question of whether objective morality really exists or not
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by PastorAIO: 4:40pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

I would, if i believed it would make any difference. You would simply revert saying that you have not said that your name is X; and as such, I cannot waste my time with such work with you; sorry, no offence intended at all.

No offence taken. However I believe this is just your own houdini manoeuver. It would have helped if you had defined what you meant by Morality at the start. All the way through I have spoken of the moral sense, or sense of morality. I never thought of a objective morality, and if I made any error it was not to realise that you were pushing an objective morality.

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 4:40pm On May 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Other acts of war are not necessarily a systematic destruction of a people in whole or in part. You can wage war against their army with the intention of subjugating them but not wiping them out. You can put people under siege, another act of war, with the intention of subjugating them but not wiping them out. The Israelite invasion of Canaan according to the bible was done with the intention of wiping them out.
I "strongly believe" that it was not. Care to examine scripture with me?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 4:40pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
I have not said that you contradicted yourself at all. I am only wondering why you would bother going through a long argument on morality if in the end you'll say that we don't and cannot know anything.

If we don't and cannot know anything, how do you know that it is true that we don't and cannot know anything? Shouldn't you rather be saying that you believe strongly that we cannot know anything? To which anyone can simply reply with "I know that you do in fact know some things" . . .and you can't really respond because you cannot know that he knows that you some things. You can only believe strongly that he doesn't.

You see the problem is that [size=16pt]you have led yourself into an absurd position just so that you can escape bearing the burden of the question of whether objective morality really exists or not[/size]

[size=20pt]! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

EUREKA! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
[/size]
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 4:50pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

[size=20pt]! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

EUREKA! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
[/size]
Lol, why my you dey shout? What have you found?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 4:57pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, why my you dey shout? What have you found?

I have found, WITHIN your post, the most concise and truthful summary ever of Pastor AIO.

Now, it is not possible to fully explain what I mean to you. You can start, however, by reviewing this thread i opened for him some years ago. Make sure you read it.

https://www.nairaland.com/335826/pastor-aio-come-teach-us

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by homosapiens: 4:59pm On May 25, 2013
Deepsight is disappointing by his position on this thread.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 5:03pm On May 25, 2013
homosapiens: Deepsight is disappointing by his position on this thread.

Well I will task you with delivering a short one-sentence summary of what I am trying to say. Only then can I be sure that you understand or mis-understand it enough to be appointed or disappointed.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by mazaje(m): 5:21pm On May 25, 2013
What is objective morality anony?. . .
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by DeepSight(m): 5:40pm On May 25, 2013
Now, Pastor, Anony -

I take this quote from one of Pastor's comments in that thread 4 years ago -

That's the thing. Without knowledge of all the factors that will play upon a situation it is impossible to make a moral judgement on anything.

https://www.nairaland.com/335826/pastor-aio-come-teach-us#4723301

Let me make my self perfectly clear: that post (you can read it in the link above) was utterly masterful and brilliant. It was in many ways so so true. However, take a look at the sentence I have extracted above. With that sentence alone, Pastor renders it impossible for anybody to make a moral judgment on anything or any situation whatsoever.

Absolutely and permanently impossible.

He also renders it permanently and absolutely impossible to know anything whatsoever (Descartes) even and including knowing anything about your own life, and the people and situations you interact with. For this reason, it is purposeless debating anything with Pastor because the eternal escapist response is that nobody can know anything. All discussions are thus futile with him, and such discussions may even be useless as we do not know that we are even having a discussion: it may well just be our imagination playing with itself.

There you go: Its out rightly nihilistic.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Kay17: 5:53pm On May 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Oh! Maybe you're making a distinction between our sense of Morality, Morality per se (in se, or even sen se millia).

Okay if we grant that there is a Morality which is objective, how can we be aware of it? is it not with our Sense of morality? How can we be sure that the sense of morality is accurate? We can't? It is the whole epistemology/ontology question. How can you Know that something exists? The Truth is that all that is available to us is not knowledge but beliefs, Beliefs with varying measures of certainty.

Bottom line is that Sense of morality is subject to change. We are limited to what we can sense and the only thing that we can meaningfully talk about its our sense of morality. I Sense morality therefore I am Moral. lol

So to answer the above I say that I am not equipped to make any pronouncement on Mala in Se but I can make pronouncements on my sense of Mala.

You can only discuss 'Mala in Se' with people from the same wider cultural milieu as yourself.

People say that genocide is wrong is wrong is wrong. Tell that to the Israelites that invaded Canaan. It wasn't just during the invasion. But for centuries afterwards is was an issue of pride. Reading the bible there is nowhere at any point that you get any sense of remorse and the bible spans centuries. So for centuries we have an act of genocide that not only were the perpetrators not ashamed of, but furthermore it was actually a matter of pride for them.

Go and tell them about Mala in Se.

One word: Perception. Percerption varies hence morality itself must vary.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 6:38pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:
Now, Pastor, Anony -

I take this quote from one of Pastor's comments in that thread 4 years ago -

Let me make my self perfectly clear: that post (you can read it in the link above) was utterly masterful and brilliant. It was in many ways so so true. However, take a look at the sentence I have extracted above. With that sentence alone, Pastor renders it impossible for anybody to make a moral judgment on anything or any situation whatsoever.

Absolutely and permanently impossible.

He also renders it permanently and absolutely impossible to know anything whatsoever (Descartes) even and including knowing anything about your own life, and the people and situations you interact with. For this reason, it is purposeless debating anything with Pastor because the eternal escapist response is that nobody can know anything. All discussions are thus futile with him, and such discussions may even be useless as we do not know that we are even having a discussion: it may well just be our imagination playing with itself.

There you go: Its out rightly nihilistic.
I've read the first 2 pages of that thread; it gave me a few chuckles. In a weird way, the thread actually made me like AIO a bit more.

If you ask me, statements like "We cannot know anything" are the easiest kind of statements to refute because all you have to do is ask "How do you know that to be true?" and the statement immediately crumbles. ditto those that say morality is subjective. Nobody truly believes that morality is subjective. All you have to do is insult them or lie against them and immediately, they start telling you why your actions are wrong. They conveniently forget at that moment that you might just be observing your own private moral principles.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 6:40pm On May 25, 2013
Kay 17:

One word: Perception. Percerption varies hence morality itself must vary.
I strongly disagree with you. How a thing is percieved does not change the true nature of the thing. What you have just said is equivalent to saying that "truth is whatever you make it"
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Kay17: 6:55pm On May 25, 2013
^^

Lying to save the life of a person

Killing to save a country:

Lying and killing are frowned at and seen as immoral, however in the context they are in, everything changes. They seem right at the moment.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 7:01pm On May 25, 2013
mazaje: What is objective morality anony?. . .
I have answered this question so many times it is now tiring.

Objective morality means that the rightness or wrongness of actions are grounded in reality independent from individual or societal bias.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by mazaje(m): 7:04pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
I have answered this question so many times it is now tiring.

Objective morality means that the rightness or wrongness of actions are grounded in reality independent from individual or societal bias.

Can you give us an example of an objective moral?. . .
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 7:15pm On May 25, 2013
mazaje:

Can you give us an example of an objective moral?. . .
Here's an example for you: A person ought to keep his promises
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 7:18pm On May 25, 2013
Kay 17: ^^
Lying to save the life of a person

Killing to save a country:

Lying and killing are frowned at and seen as immoral, however in the context they are in, everything changes. They seem right at the moment.
But then context is not the same thing as perception. Objective moral principles did not change.

Let me give you an illustration.
If you cut an orange in half, you have half an orange but if you cut a person in half you don't have half a person you still have one person. Does this mean that mathematics is no longer objective? No it doesn't, it has only been applied in two different contexts.

I spoke a bit more about something like this here: https://www.nairaland.com/1294489/basis-human-morality/7#15884362

Read it and tell me what you think
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 9:49pm On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I find that the problem with materialism is that concepts such as morality, empathy and logic are not strictly reducible to the material processes responsible for them.

There is more to materialism than strict reductionalism.

Uyi Iredia:
We know the basis of all mentations is the human brain but why should the materials in the brain evoke these mentations.

Since we know this, why shouldn't they evoke such mentation when it helps improve our survival?

Uyi Iredia:
There is no reason for a purposeless, amoral material to start considering purpose, yet this is what we see in the brain and in all biological systems. Going by the known fact that purpose & morals can only be defined in context of that which has intelligence I can extrapolate that morality (particularly in humans) ultimately comes from an intelligent being (God).

You do realize that purpose is what one makes of it not something endowed upon you by the cosmos. I don't think that purpose and morals can be defined by God unless you already know this God and his purpose.

Uyi Iredia:
Materialists must realize that matter alone can't think or feel. These attributes require a specific assemblage of materials which CANNOT self-assemble the only reasonable option is to infer from human ability to create intelligent machines that intelligence is required to create intelligence and this necessitates a God. After all is said and done I think the basis of morality is intelligence.

This is just a round about way of making an argument based on a weak analogy. The universe isn't like anything created by people.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 9:55pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:
Reduced deductive arguments

First Argument

Premise 1. It is not wrong or evil when animals kill other animals or seize their food.

Premise 2. Humans are animals.

Conclusion: It is not wrong or evil when humans kill other humans or seize their food.

Beat that, please.

It is not necessarily wrong but so what?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 9:59pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

WHY? IF MAN BE NOTHING BUT A SMARTER APE, WHAT MAKES TERRITORY GRABBING AMONG SMART APES IMMORAL? THE LOWER APES DO SO BY PRIMITIVE FIGHTING: SINCE WE ARE SMARTER, WE DO SO BY SOPHISTICATED FIGHTING: WEAPONS, GUNS, BOMBS, JETS, ARMIES. HOW IS THIS IMMORAL FOR HEAVENS SAKE?

Humans don't derive their moral precepts from other animals so comparing what animals do with respect to trying to discover moral ideas is a waste of time.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 10:01pm On May 25, 2013
thehomer:

Humans don't derive their moral precepts from other animals so comparing what animals do with respect to trying to discover moral ideas is a waste of time.
Interesting. From where if I may ask do humans derive their moral precepts?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 10:05pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Beautifully put

I'll go a step further for those who believe human morals are a result of evolution.

If we only think that some things are good and others evil because we evolved a mind capable of telling good from evil how do we know that such things are truly good or truly evil since evolution is not concerned with truth but with survival? How do we know for sure that they are truly good and evil and not just merely how we happened to survive?

You're ignoring the fact that good and evil actions aren't just about the mind, but also about the body. Is any action truly good or truly evil? Is it truly good to give away all your wealth? Is it truly evil to kill a man?

Mr anony:
Edit: I'll go even further from morality to the question of rationality. How do we know that our basic rational intuitions are true and not just merely how we happened to evolve. For instance how do we know that we ought to test truth claims with logic? How do we know that it isn't merely how we happened to evolve?

This to me just misunderstands rationality. Could we have evolved to actually think that 200 apples were less than 2 apples?

1 Like

Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 10:07pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Interesting. From where if I may ask do humans derive their moral precepts?

They're derived by multiple sources like the effects of certain actions on other humans and some other animals, empathy, reasoning.

Where do you think humans derive their moral precepts?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 10:09pm On May 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Wow!!! A politician couldn't have done a better job... grin

I think this sort of response just trivializes something complex.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 10:13pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, I wasn't even heading towards God per se. I just wanted to show that Moral principles are truly objective much like logical and mathematical principles.

I don't think you can do this because morality and mathematics belong in different categories.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Kay17: 10:17pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
But then context is not the same thing as perception. Objective moral principles did not change.

Let me give you an illustration.
If you cut an orange in half, you have half an orange but if you cut a person in half you don't have half a person you still have one person. Does this mean that mathematics is no longer objective? No it doesn't, it has only been applied in two different contexts.

I spoke a bit more about something like this here: https://www.nairaland.com/1294489/basis-human-morality/7#15884362

Read it and tell me what you think

Your orange and human example, I don't agree to it.

My examples added to yours, prove that morality is beyond mere principles, it goes beyond to application to reality and even understanding of the rules. Jesus himself found an eye for an eye principle faulty. Jesus made a field day with Mosiac laws, why becuase Jesus' perception of them in his own days/his reality, was different.

Sabbaths seem absurd. Unbelievers/sinners had natural entitlement to salvation. New Testament focussed more on poor people, rather than kings and priests.
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by thehomer: 10:20pm On May 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

A strict materialist would hold that nothing exists but matter - physical things - and that we are the product of the mindless interactions of such matter. Such a worldview would would subscribe to the ToE as the basis for our existence, and thus regard man as nothing but an animal - only a more intelligent one. Within this worldview it is difficult to see why it should be wrong for men TO DO AS ANIMALS DO, but merely do the same things with smarter methods.

Why is it difficult to see this? What animals are you comparing man to? The female spiders that eat the male ones after copulation? Lions that kill off cubs that don't have their own genetic material?

Deep Sight:
If anyone then says that the smartest method for staying alive would be to have collective codes, that is fine: but it should be recognized that that is a system for self-protection, and nothing more. It does not then render any proscribed acts intrinsically evil: this is the key distinction you fail to make.

No it doesn't. But then, what action is intrinsically evil?

Deep Sight:
There is a difference between law and morals. This is a huge subject all by itself within the subject of Jurisprudence as taught in Law. It is a distinction that I see many within this thread, notably Plaetton, have failed to absorb. Legality is not morality and vice versa, although of course there are converging areas. It may be illegal to park your car in a certain space, but not necessarily immoral. Likewise it may be immoral to be unfaithful within marriage but not necessarily illegal. Some things that are illegal are criminal and others are not. There are civil wrongs called torts, which may arise from negligence and may not necessarily be immoral. These are the distinctions.

Now, within the philosophy of law, there are wrongs that are called mala in se (which means an intrinsically evil or wicked deed) and mala prohibita (which means a deed that is not intrinsically evil or wicked, but is illegal by the prohibition of the law.

Now what you guys are doing amounts to a failure to distinguish between mala in se and mala prohibita. By your position, there would be no such thing as mala in se until and unless it is so declared by law - which is mala prohibita.

As such, you should ask yourself whether such a thing as mala in se exists at all. Whether such a thing existed in antiquity. Or whether such a thing only began to exist when societies made formal declarations in that regard. That is the key question.

It is altogether illogical for the strict materialist to regard man as a smarter animal only, and complain when smarter animals do what animals do in nature, but only does it more smartly.

This is the centre of the matter.

What examples do you have in mind for an act that is intrinsically evil?
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 10:23pm On May 25, 2013
thehomer:

You're ignoring the fact that good and evil actions aren't just about the mind, but also about the body. Is any action truly good or truly evil? Is it truly good to give away all your wealth? Is it truly evil to kill a man?
Yes some actions are truly good or truly evil e.g.
1. It is truly evil to rape women for fun.
2. It is truly evil to torture babies for fun.
3. It is truly good to forgive offenses.
4. It is truly good to save a child from drowning

This to me just misunderstands rationality. Could we have evolved to actually think that 200 apples were less than 2 apples?
And this illustrates my point exactly. Morality like rationality is not something that we evolved but something that stands by itself
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by Mranony: 10:29pm On May 25, 2013
thehomer:
They're derived by multiple sources like the effects of certain actions on other humans and some other animals, empathy, reasoning.
This is simply you jumping from an is to an ought. The effects of actions on other animals doesn't place a demand on an individual to act in any particular way towards it.

Where do you think humans derive their moral precepts?
God
Re: The Basis Of Human Morality by mazaje(m): 10:31pm On May 25, 2013
Mr anony:
Yes some actions are truly good or truly evil e.g.
1. It is truly evil to rape women for fun.
2. It is truly evil to torture babies for fun.

You know these things yet you still go about defending the bible and many of such actions in the OT?. . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

A Brand New Body At The Blast Of A Trumpet - Joseph Prince / Ghanaian Pastors Are Proving Worse Than Nigeria’s / Bishop Oyedepo’s N2 Billion Assault Lawsuit: Court Fixes July 12 For Judgment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.