Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,598 members, 7,888,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:05 PM

Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners (83067 Views)

Makeover,ankara & Cake Training For Beginners & Upgraders In Warri-delta State / Free Microsoft Excel Training Materials: From Beginners To Advanced / What Tinder Did For Dating, Tableau Wants To Do For Spreadsheets (BI) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by jaybee3(m): 9:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
martyns303: @moderator Jaybee. Is it ok to insult another nairalander by calling him/her an animal? That was a rhetorical question and do not require an answer since we can distiquish for ourselves, someone seems it fit to call me an animal, I have not offended this person in anyway, I didn't refer to this person or made any insinuations, but when I stood to defend myself u seem it fit to hide my post and further banned me on grounds of insulting another nairalander, the very thought of it defies logical reasoning and I propose u do the right thing, 1. Ur going to unhide my post. 2. U will unban me. If however u felt I have violated NL rules, apparently the other person must have violated same rule by referring to me as an animal, so ur going to be fair in ur judgement by 1. Hidding his post. 2. Banning him for the same period as myself.
https://www.nairaland.com/1482677/she-wasted-food/1
He was equally banned for insulting you
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by martyns303(m): 9:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
jay bee:
He was equally banned for insulting you
Very well then.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 12:18am On Oct 19, 2013
Thanks for providing an answer it seems correct, have a few questions for you though

1). I wasn't really asking for a table though, so what if you had 60 or 1,000 or some other no, then what?

2). Why did you use the "AND" function? I evaluated your formula and did not see the call for an "AND", perhaps you can explain

For now, these are my two questions but the formula string is correct.

[img]http://pdf2jpg.net/picture.php?pic_index=2&presentation_method=inline[/img]

=IF(B1="","N/A",IF(B1>=95,"A+",IF(B1>=90,"A",IF(B1>=85,"B+",IF(B1>=80,"B",IF(B1>=75,"C+"wink)))))
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by jaybee3(m): 8:33am On Oct 19, 2013
manny4life: Thanks for providing an answer it seems correct, have a few questions for you though

1). I wasn't really asking for a table though, so what if you had 60 or 1,000 or some other no, then what?

2). Why did you use the "AND" function? I evaluated your formula and did not see the call for an "AND", perhaps you can explain

For now, these are my two questions but the formula string is correct.

[img]http://pdf2jpg.net/picture.php?pic_index=2&presentation_method=inline[/img]

=IF(B1="","N/A",IF(B1>=95,"A+",IF(B1>=90,"A",IF(B1>=85,"B+",IF(B1>=80,"B",IF(B1>=75,"C+"wink)))))
1) The table was used to illustrate that it works and numbers outside of the defined range will return N/K grade. The IF system for grade A+ could have been tighter as well but i suppose a data validation will be set on column A so as to only accept values of between 75% and 100%

2) Tighter range, less chance of making mistakes with the algebraic expression, i'm used to coding using operators.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 12:03pm On Oct 19, 2013
manny4life's teaser can also be approached using vlookups
I'll run us through it
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 12:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
Vlookup is an excel function that means lookup things vertically.
The logic behind Vlookup is this:

-a dataset (that is any combination of data) is first presented
-The 'data set' is at least paired. Example of what i mean is something like this: Man is paired to woman, Lion to Lioness, Cock to Hen e.t.c

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
-i then ask Excel or someone to please find the pair for Dog using the Vlookup function
-The person or Excel goes to through the dataset from the top.
-It says, is dog equal to man, since the answer is NO, it skips to the next row
-it keeps on searching and skipping untill it finds Dog is equal to Dog.
-when it finds this, it then looks for the pair of a Dog, and provides the answer =Bi.tch

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 1:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
You can replicate the Excel spread sheet below
(Don't worry, we'll soon get to manny4life's question and an alternative solution. I'll also share the usefullnes of this function in your workplace)

After inputiing data like you see in my diagram below, in cell, type this
=vlookup(B11,A1:C7,2,FALSE)

then press enter on your keyboard

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 1:26pm On Oct 19, 2013
If you want to find the young of the animal instead of the female
then in the vlookup equation, change the number 2 to the number 3
this returns data from the 3rd colum

(see diagram below)

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 1:33pm On Oct 19, 2013
If you look closely at the vlookup equations in the Excel diagrams I have shared above
you'll notice that "False" and "True" are presented as alternative inputs into the equation

Whereas "False" is for exact match, "True" is for approximate match

What do I mean?
Great question
..This is what seperated manny4life's teaser from mine

My teaser requires that you use the exact match function, while manny4life's teaser is about number ranges
For number ranges, you should always eandeavour to use the "approximate match" function of vlookup
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
So, I can approach Manny4life's question by first arranging the scores in Ascending order
Arranging the scores in ascending order is important for vlookup's approximate match to work

then if you input the values in the cells exactly like I have done in the diagram below
go to cell E4 and tpe the vlookup formula
=vlookup(D4,A2:B6,2,True)

Then press enter on your keyboard

you see what has happened? !!!

Now in cell D4, input any valu you want and see the impact for Grade
Have you noticed anything?

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 2:37pm On Oct 19, 2013
jay bee:
1) The table was used to illustrate that it works and numbers outside of the defined range will return N/K grade. The IF system for grade A+ could have been tighter as well but i suppose a data validation will be set on column A so as to only accept values of between 75% and 100%

2) Tighter range, less chance of making mistakes with the algebraic expression, i'm used to coding using operators.

1. Okay, although the illustration I put above was just referencing between 75% and 100% and I agree with you that a data validation is needed. However, equating on the first line of argument: IF B1="", a simple statement like out of range or N/A will suffice... IMO.

2. I understand the tighter range argument (good though), although I was only saying I did not understand why the "AND" operator function was used since we're restricting to 75% and 100%. To each their own right grin grin grin grin

Anyway, you got it right though...Great.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 2:45pm On Oct 19, 2013
esere826: manny4life's teaser can also be approached using vlookups
I'll run us through it

Not really though because my teaser doesn't have a table, the column data I put up was for reference purpose which is why I asked @martyns why he used a table though. I was only asking for a formula using "COLUMN A" as a guide. This is also why I stated use cell B1 as your result cell. Your use of Vlookups is good though ONLY IF you have a table you're trying to retrieve data from.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by jaybee3(m): 2:53pm On Oct 19, 2013
manny4life:

1. Okay, although the illustration I put above was just referencing between 75% and 100% and I agree with you that a data validation is needed. However, equating on the first line of argument: IF B1="", a simple statement like out of range or N/A will suffice... IMO.

2. I understand the tighter range argument (good though), although I was only saying I did not understand why the "AND" operator function was used since we're restricting to 75% and 100%. To each their own right grin grin grin grin

Anyway, you got it right though...Great.
I see your point. I didn't bother with blank condition simply because the marks were clearly defined thus my formula will always work for your specified condition.

I also used the AND operator because my formula was designed using range as key criteria
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 6:21pm On Oct 19, 2013
@manny4life

true talk
i don use style teach vlookup be that
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 30, 2013
Thanx @ op, it keeps writng. VALUE when I drag b5.b9
Am having problem adding the nos
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
temiosunrinde: Thanx @ op, it keeps writng. VALUE when I drag b5.b9
Am having problem adding the nos

Please, i didnt get that
Are you using my model? if yes
kindly copy and past my post u are referring to.

\thanks
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by amtalkin(f): 2:29pm On Nov 04, 2013
Please if i want all lines printed out what do i do?
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2013
am talkin: Please if i want all lines printed out what do i do?
are u alking about creating a table? (i.e. put lines around the data that you are working on)

pls explain some more

.....cheers
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 05, 2013
Bro can you explain how it's is used in CGPA computation of result?
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by amtalkin(f): 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
esere826:
are u alking about creating a table? (i.e. put lines around the data that you are working on)

pls explain some more

.....cheers
Yes
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by haveworkskills: 1:34am On Nov 17, 2013
am talkin:
Yes

I've gone through the posts and discussions here and would like to thank those who have contributed thus far.

For those who wish to take their Excel and other important professional skills to the next level by learning how these skills are put to work in an office setting or in the business world, we can help! Please download the attached document and continue reading.

--- --- ------------------

Do your career and future a favour at little cost to you. Contact us at financeprofessionalskills@gmail.com.
https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=admitwithschola. Click the attached below.

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 11:48am On Nov 17, 2013
am talkin:
Yes

I'll answer this question when I am freer as it would be easier to use diagrams to demonstrate how it is done

If you can try this while waiting for the visuals and easier explanation:
-highlight the cells that you want to put in a table
-In your Excel ribbon, go to "HOME"
-in the HOME tab you'll see FONT (2nd from the left in Excel 2007)
-In the FONT section u'll see these boxes: B, I, U
-After the U box, you'll see another box with a cube shaped design inside
-click on its dropdown and you'll see different types of tables
-you can click on anyof the tables to put your data into a 'table'
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by nenyeokoye: 7:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
esere, jaybee and many, much respects,appreciate u guys and others not mentioned, great job guys
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 2:12am On Nov 18, 2013
torres2: Bro can you explain how it's is used in CGPA computation of result?

I know you weren't asking me, but I may be able to help. What was the question?
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 2:13am On Nov 18, 2013
nenyeokoye: esere, jaybee and many, much respects,appreciate u guys and others not mentioned, great job guys

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Salary Of An Average Nigerian Soldier Will Shock You / Female Graduate Is A Taxi Driver In Abuja (photos) / Man Spotted Love Machine In Their Office Today - Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.