Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,823 members, 7,898,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 12:01 AM

Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama (6065 Views)

The National Assembly Complex: A Closer Look (photos) / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fr3do(m): 5:00am On Jun 05, 2013
remark D: My brother the thing tire me o!

A nutcase will soon come on here and say ... "Define revolutionary" ... "Obama made a mistake, its human error which we're all susceptible to" ... "Who else called Chinua Achebe revolutionary?"... "Just tell me one other person that calls him revolutionary and I will go and drink rat poison" ... "Answer these questions, otherwise there is nothing revolutionary about him"...

and the most hilarious thing is ... they're serious when saying all this shizz.

Makes one wonder, really ...
Never seen someones success causing heartache for another...

Thats how some stereotypes are formed, when tommorrow comes and based on such jealousy, they are tagged as backstabbers etc... they'll start making noise again... "Define backstabbers... etc etc"
roflmao

is that a joke,if it is,its the lamest i've heard since nov 2010

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by OneNaira6: 6:15am On Jun 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Thank you o. Obama is a orator, he has never been to Nigeria to see how Nigerians Yoruba feel about Achebe. How can a man who left his country diivided be called "bringing the world together"?

fixed for ya.

stop hating btw. if it was tinubu or soyinka he gave that praise, una would never let us rest.
stop hating and appreciate

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by OneNaira6: 6:19am On Jun 05, 2013
of course Achebe did such. his book is read and enjoyed worldwide. it's used as a curriculum in many nations. I give achebe props cause he made himself known without being a politician or a movie star/musician. Achebe achieved a feat very few in his profession achieve. RIP. you'll be missed.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ckkris: 6:41am On Jun 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Thank you o. Obama is a orator, he has never been to Nigeria to see how Nigerians feel about Achebe. How can a man who left his country diivided be called "bringing the world together"?
Obama in his own book mentioned the influnce of Achebe on the minds of black Africans.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ckkris: 6:55am On Jun 05, 2013
J12: Lol. I'm not sure Obama has read any of his books. He's a legend anyway - RIP Chinua
Obama began to grow in confidence after reading Achebe's books. Read Obama's books and see how he rated Achebe a reference point and guiding light to build the confidence of black Africans, first in themselves, in their history, and in their capability.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fyneIjay(f): 7:01am On Jun 05, 2013
Achebe still trending and haterz still hating.
RIP, Chinualumogu

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ckkris: 7:01am On Jun 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Has Obama ever met Achebe? No! He hasnt even read the man's books. He is reading what showed up on teleprompter. Obama could not tell you Achebe's tribe if you asked him. grin
Obama's books that mention Achebe are being sold on the streets of Nigeria. You no de read?

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fyneIjay(f): 7:06am On Jun 05, 2013
Pleaseeeeee someone should tell Ola Johnson and CamerounPride to come and hear what Obama said about Achebe. Please go and call them for me. pleaseeeeeee

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ckkris: 7:07am On Jun 05, 2013
Achebe may soon become a standard and compulsory literature for black people all over the world.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 05, 2013
I hope my dear Wole can handle this
He may need to call Vanguard for a rebuttal to question why Obama should say such grin grin grin
And then relaunch his book that came out same time as Achebe's memoirs and nobody heard of it
Bwahahahahahaha
The greatest president in the world has spoken
RIP to the father of African Literature

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Abali1(m): 7:12am On Jun 05, 2013
babyosisi: I hope my dear Wole can handle this
He may need to call Vanguard for a rebuttal
Bwahahahahahaha
The greatest president in the world has spoken
Baby, biko nu ichoro igbu some people......some go just go drink otapiapia like their hero.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 05, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
Achebe drew the world closer Obama and Michelle

04 June, 2013

By Uduma Kalu

Lagos—United States President, Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle have described the late Nigerian novelist, Prof. Chinua Achebe as a “Revolutionary author, educator, and cultural ambassador.”
In a letter made available to Vanguard but addressed to the Achebe family and read by a White House representative, at the Celebration of Life event for Chinua Achebe, last Sunday night, at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium, Washington, DC 20240, Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama said Achebe was a “Revolutionary author, educator, and cultural ambassador.

“Achebe shattered the conventions of literature and shaped the collective identity of Nigerians throughout the world. With a dream of taking on misperceptions of his homeland, he gave voice to perspectives that cultivated understanding and drew our world closer together. His legacy will endure in the hearts of all whose lives he touched with the everlasting power of his art.”
The event which also featured an arts exhibition and reception kicked off at 6 pm. Other highlights of the event included tributes from public and private friends and dignitaries, cultural dance troupes, music, masquerades and tributes.
The Francesca Harper project provided a thrilling ballet and the former Nigerian based US citizen, Chuck Mike theatre group enthralled the crowd with a theatrical production of a scene from Achebe’s Things Fall Apart.
Professor Mike reportedly had the audience laughing with his rendition of his experiences in Nigeria and the idiosyncratic tendency of Nigerians to respond with the phrase “we thank God” when asked a variety of questions in various scenarios.
The Afrobeat band Eme and Heteru thrilled the crowd with electrifying music. Speakers included the host, Johnnetta Cole, President emeritus of Spelman and Bennet Colleges and now director of the Smithonian museum of African Art; Ruth Simmons, former president of Brown University, Poet Sonia Sanchez, Micere Mugo and Simon Gikandi, Scott Moyers, president of Penguin, and Jules Chametzky, professor emeriti of Umass Amherst, where Achebe spent time in the 1970s and 80s. Management Agency, Alhassan Barde, said he is yet to ascertain the worth of materials destroyed in the inferno.

What a great honor
His wife and children will mourn knowing that the world honored their father
No greater way to be remembered in death
I don't know any Nigerian that was this celebrated worldwide by non Nigerians in life and in death
Not one

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by zibe(m): 7:22am On Jun 05, 2013
Proud of him, proud to know that I've read his books. The world is still praising him even in death. RIP Achebe.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nedu31(m): 7:32am On Jun 05, 2013
World President has spoken!

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 05, 2013
zibe: Proud of him, proud to know that I've read his books. The world is still praising him even in death. RIP Achebe.

My father is just now reading his memoirs and loving it

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 05, 2013
fyne_Ijay: Pleaseeeeee someone should tell Ola Johnson and CamerounPride to come and hear what Obama said about Achebe. Please go and call them for me. pleaseeeeeee
I don show. I'm still reading CA's There Was A Country.
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by 4chi: 8:23am On Jun 05, 2013
...befitting epitaph for a house nigger who served America for the better part of his bigoted life while throwing stones of hate to his motherland. Shiooor!!! angry

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 05, 2013
4chi: ...befitting epitaph for a house nigger who served America for the better part of his bigoted life while throwing stones of hate to his motherland. Shiooor!!! angry

What stones of hate at his motherland if I may ask?
The same Achebe that criticized Conrad and similar writers of old on their portrayal of Africans and fought to correct their image of Africans as a people without form ,is a house nigger?
Do you know what the term means
How much do you really know of Achebe
Have you even heard of Conrad and heart of darkness
Must you display ignorance on the www
If criticizing the rogue government in Nigeria is throwing stones of hate,I carry Olumo rock throw for Naija and land it on your head

Tua

My joy is that you are alive to witness these eulogies that go worldwide,you are incensed by them and I like it kiss
Make e pain una well well cool cool
Osukosu nwa mkpi
Your forgettable rants on nairaland won't make it beyond a few second hand blackberry phones
Keep trying to fetch water with a basket cool

5 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fyneIjay(f): 9:06am On Jun 05, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I don show. I'm still reading CA's There Was A Country.
Ehhm Mr Ola, what do you have to say about the Honour done Achebe by the President of The United States of America, Barack Obama?

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 05, 2013
fyne_Ijay:
Ehhm Mr Ola, what do you have to say about the Honour done Achebe by the President of The United States of America, Barack Obama?
Anybody can be honoured. But this one is coming to a man that is dead; you saying Wole Soyinka could not be honoured, nay celebrated that way does not hold water because he is still alive. Soyinka will be celebrated as a living legend, not as a dead person whom everybody would wish a peaceful rest like Achebe. Meanwhile I'm still reading There Was A Country, noting the lies in it. I just finished where he titled, The Asaba Massacre. CA saw this as bad, if at all it is not hyped, but saw nothing wrong in Joe Achuzia's "Biafran" troops carrying a raid on the the Second Division of the Nigerian Army led by Murtala Muhammad.
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by backtosender: 10:10am On Jun 05, 2013
yes sir! number one president in the world have said it
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fyneIjay(f): 10:39am On Jun 05, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Anybody can be honoured. But this one is coming to a man that is dead; you saying Wole Soyinka could not be honoured, nay celebrated that way does not hold water because he is still alive. Soyinka will be celebrated as a living legend, not as a dead person whom everybody would wish a peaceful rest like Achebe. Meanwhile I'm still reading There Was A Country, noting the lies in it. I just finished where he titled, The Asaba Massacre. CA saw this as bad, if at all it is not hyped, but saw nothing wrong in Joe Achuzia's "Biafran" troops carrying a raid on the the Second Division of the Nigerian Army led by Murtala Muhammad.
So in your warped thinking, you believe that am asking you to compare and contrast Achebe and Soyinka?
Wetin carry Soyinka enter this thread naw?
Those that are hungry for enlightenment had read THERE WAS A COUNTRY eons ago, and you because you are looking for a fault are reading it now.
Am not really surprised at your bigotry.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by camelus: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Thank you o. Obama is a orator, he has never been to Nigeria to see how Nigerians feel about Achebe. How can a man who left his country diivided be called "bringing the world together"?
......And Obama must be in Nigeria b4 he knows what's happening Naija,too myopic.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2013
fyne_Ijay:
So in your warped thinking, you believe that am asking you to compare and contrast Achebe and Soyinka?
Wetin carry Soyinka enter this thread naw?
Those that are hungry for enlightenment had read THERE WAS A COUNTRY eons ago, and you because you are looking for a fault are reading it now.
Am not really surprised at your bigotry.
I would have read it long before now but because of the lies I decided not. I'm reading it now so as to right my article on the lies told by CA.
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by fyneIjay(f): 1:48pm On Jun 05, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I would have read it long before now but because of the lies I decided not. I'm reading it now so as to right ,[WRITE]my article on the lies told by CA.
Mr Ola, you are free to believe what you want. But know it this day, that the World (Not Yorubas) will keep doing Honour to Whomsoever that deserves it.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ACM10: 1:56pm On Jun 05, 2013
Ola Johnson:

Now I have a question for you. Define "legitimate" millitary target?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
fyne_Ijay: Achebe still trending and haterz still hating.
RIP, Chinaulumogu

Lol@ Chinaulumogu. Chinaulumogu ko, Taiwanulumogu ni.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Happy Birthday OAM4J / Breaking:entire Boko Haram Force At Konduga Wiped Out By Army Troops. 400 Killed / We Are Not Aware Nnamdi Kanu Committed Any Crime-kuje Prison Inmate

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.