Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,132 members, 7,896,845 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:15 PM

Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? (2322 Views)

Meet Audu’s Teenage Wife Whose Dream Of Becoming Kogi Ist Lady Is Shattered(pics / The Nigeria We Dream Of Can Be Achieved, Says Jonathan. / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by deoyel25(m): 11:27am On May 18, 2006
HELLO READERS

I think with all the scandals we have experienced in Nigeria, we have to be sensitive against 2007. We should not allow any dry bone to rule us again. I think some dry bones like IBB will want to rise again due to the rendering powerless of his mentor (OBJ) through the ammendment of the third term bill. Everything lies in the hands of we Nigerians. What if we allow some young, able and God fearing people like Chris Okotie? The panic comes considering this adage, "A known devil is better than an unknown angel"!!
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by twinstaiye(m): 12:54pm On May 18, 2006
If only those politicians will allow them to get there, I would have suggest Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, abubakar Umar, Nasir El-Rufai, Dr Chris Ngige. But if we are to dance to the tune of the mafia where our votes and voice means nothing, then I will have prefer OBJ to continue, and since you people said no he has done enough, then I prefer IBB because if you cant beat them join them.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 2:30pm On May 18, 2006
How can you even consider people like Chris okotie, Gani, or Soyinka to rule Nigeria? Please let's get people that have shown they are competent enough to run a population.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by larger20(m): 2:48pm On May 18, 2006
I will vote for gani, okotie, ngige and kalu orji
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 2:57pm On May 18, 2006
larger_20:

I will vote for , and kalu orji

Figures. angry
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by toshmann(m): 8:18pm On May 18, 2006
twinstaiye:

, I would have suggest Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, abubakar Umar, Nasir El-Rufai,

these guys will do better if they were in the senate to safeguard our democracy. i call on all our activists to join the legislature. with people like wole soyinka in the senate i believe that whoever is president will be careful.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by GL(f): 1:26am On May 19, 2006
I believe that we should be very careful to choose someone who has shown that they can perform. Plus, it should be someone who is not tribalistic. That's the main thing I like OBJ for. Most Nigerians are very tribalistic, even ppl who claim to be able to rule Nigeria are.

SOYINKA: I would definately not vote Soyinka because I've heard several ppl who were in the university at the time Pirates was formed link it to the beginning of cultism in Nigeria. In my opinion, that's a bad legacy. Pirates aside, he might be ok in the National Assembly.

KALU: The only big thing I've heard of that he's done as a governor is building up Enyimba FC. But he obviously did that to the detriment of other aspects of the state, as civil servants rejoiced when they crashed out of the champions league. I don't see him taking on the whole country successfully if he's not been able to do anything spectacular in just one state in 8 years.

YERIMA: Nigerians deserve much better than him. most ppl can only think of sharia when they hear his name. The same sharia that led to several riots, and deaths, since 2000. He's left a bad legacy and doesn't deserve to be president.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by GL(f): 1:34am On May 19, 2006
GANI and OKOTIE: Are more useful doing what they're doing now. They need to show that they are capable of leading even a small population b4 we hand over 130 million ppl to them.

When Audu Ogbeh resigned from his position as PDP chairman, I thought he might run for presidency come 2007. Now he's chairman in another party. He looks like someone with integrity.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by HesInMe: 8:05am On May 22, 2006
There are 3 people I can contemplate leading Nigeria in 2007. We all know them, so no surprises. From a pragmatic standpoint, all three are male; all have had major public sector experience; and all are from the north (disclaimer: I am male and Ibo). There are important reasons for this profile. First, although we admire the Akinluyis and Ezekwesilis of the world, let's face it: Nigeria is not ready for her first female president, although I like the visibility that OBJ has given women in government. Second, you can't just bring in a yo-man from outside the political realm and expect fantastic results. Third, I really do think (even though I cringe at the thought) that, for the sake of political stability, we should let the power pendulum swing northwards.

Buba Marwa is my top choice. In some ways, he's the perfect candidate: military background, 50-ish, charismatic but level-headed, Harvard-educated, former governor of Lagos State, businessman--the kind of person one would be proud to call Mr. President. I have some questions about the source of his wealth, but it's difficult to find someone who embodies intellect, charm and experience as Mr. Marwa does. If he gets the #1 slot, I would like to see someone like Dora Akinyuli as his running mate.

Nuhu Ribadu also rates highly in my mind. If Nigeria's #1 problem is public sector corruption, then maybe we should put someone who has been fighting the problem for the past few years. I like his comportment and sincerity, but I have serious doubts about his political savvy and connections in a country like Nigeria.

My last suggestion is the dynamite, Nasir El-Rufai. I think he's got what it takes to move Nigeria forwards: smarts, vision and guts. But I dread the explosions that will literally be going off across the country if he becomes president. Maybe another 8 years of seasoning, then El-Rufai would be closer to the top of my list,
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by toshmann(m): 11:35am On May 22, 2006
"DYNAMITE" that's the solution. EL RUFAI. he is my #1 choice. he is my #2 #3 #4 #etc

he has guts, calls a spade a spade.sharp,audacious. he is fearless and controversial. that is what we need now. him.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 4:09pm On May 22, 2006
Bola Tinubu (governor of Lagos) would do an excellent job.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:36pm On May 22, 2006
I would vote i million times for Ashiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, i also consider NNamani and Atiku. I am yet to see what el-rufai has done ooo, aside the vandalization of houses in abuja thru obj influences
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Danmasani(m): 8:13pm On May 22, 2006
Ill go for a Atiku/ Donald Duke ticket or a Atiku/Nnamani ticket. i wish i could have Emeka Anyaoku as President but the turbulence in Naija politics wont allow him. Not that Atiku is a saint (he is far from it), but ill rather take him than IBB, Buhari or Marwa. Kalu, Yerima and Odili are out of the equation!
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 8:55pm On May 22, 2006
Danmasani, if you know anything about Nigerian politics, you would know that at least the President, Vice President, Senate President or House Majority leader must be Yoruba. Currently, only the President is Yoruba, and once he goes, there would be no Yoruba person in either of the top 4 positions. I hope there is some plan to re-arrange the National assembly, because Yorubas are going to be furious if they get side-lined.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 10:27pm On May 22, 2006
@Afeni: There you go again spouting rubbish.

I far as I'm concerned, the tribe/religion/ethnicity/privates-size/hair-colour/etc of any prospective president does not matter. The only thing that matters is their integrity/determination/ability to continue to grow and diversify the Nigerian economy, and improve internal security.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 10:34pm On May 22, 2006
Mariory, I am not spouting rubbish. And lets keep our comments free from insults. cool

Asking for one of the top 4 positions in the country is not a lot to ask considering Yorubas are the largest Ethnic group in the entire Country and continent.

Read and learn. http://www.answers.com/Yoruba%20

You know fully well how politics works in Democratic Nigeria, and you are fooling yourself if you think one of the 3 major groups can be left out of top jobs in Government.

If it is truly your intention to create a workable and fair government, everyone must be represented according to their population.

Just because you close your eyes long enough, does not make Nigeria a homogeneous society.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 22, 2006
Many of us sit here shouting "i will vote for Sen. Dr. Chief. ABC, my vote is for Alh. Chief XYZ, " yet we forget that the reason we are in this quagmire in the first place is because our votes do not count in modern day nigeria.
Those presently in power cannot beat their chests and say with all confidence that they are enjoying "our mandate". We did not vote them there, we do not know them, we only see them on TV when they cruelly decide our future with their own pecuniary gains in mind.
Sadly all we can do is "dream" about who should be in power in 2007, for we all know the result even before going to the polls, the difference is in the predicted and actual margin of victory. Nigerians are prisoners in their own land, they do not decide who is in power and they are totally powerless at removing incompetent illiterates who buy their way into office.
The good ones can never win, they do not have the financial muscle of the likes of Atiku and Babangida neither do they have the gift of sycophancy possessed by the likes of ibrahim mantu and ojo maduekwe. The good ones lack the ability to fix/rig elections like the legendary tony anenih, neither do they have the garb of turncoats like the famous Tom Ikimi and Jerry Gana.
They unlike Alh. Ahmadu Ali cannot abuse the senate and railroad their party down the path of destruction, they do not possess the dictatorial touch exhibited by our greatest leader ever, Gen Olusanni Abachanjo!
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 12:00am On May 23, 2006
Davidylan, then who is going to be the next leader?
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 12:02am On May 23, 2006
I have no interest in who will be the next leader since those who have turned themselves into professional kingmakers are already deciding that at present.

I can only want and dream, Abachanjo and his henchmen have the final say! Not poor Nigerians!
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 12:04am On May 23, 2006
I have a couple of solid picks for president but I am waiting to see the result of the census before I show all my cards. cool

Note: I know it might be rigged (most likely) but the present situation on the ground should provide the most fair census to date.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by ono(m): 11:35am On May 23, 2006
@david,

My brother, you know, I just love the way you look at issues. Very objective and downright frank. I quite appreciate your ''helplessness'' as regards making the choice for a new leader after Olusanni Abachanjo's exit - I hear he has an exit plan in the pot, he should not be allowed to stay 1 minute longer, after May 29, 2007 at Aso Villa.

But we have to use every available means (including Nairaland Forum) to drum it in to those who care to listen (and I know many Nigerians are listening) that we do not want sycophants at the top anymore. We don't want people with questionable records and characters governing us anymore in this country - at all levels. We do not want people who fight corruption with corruption, claim God is in control when they are in control, pull the wool over our faces, punish us in the midst of plenty and are ethnic bigots, coming around singing the same old songs to us this time. We will tell them that if they do, they will die like the third term dream died recently.

We need people with high integrity, proven track records of leadership ability, foresight and energy. We need people who'd mount the podium and speakout - not people who'd come around reading rhetorics and mumbling incoherent words.We want ebullient leaders, who'd correct us with that wonderful charm when we go wrong and not pounce on us with the force of a hammer on a flea!

God give us leaders who would fear Him in spirit and in truth at all levels of governance in this country.

I have been looking at the people we have around in the country. All I can say is that the best among the lot should be allowed to lead us. There are quite a lot of them up there. Gamaliel Onosode, Donald Duke, Victor Attah, James Ibori, Audu Ogbeh (He's a shinning example), Bola Tinubu, Aliko Dangote, etc etc. May God at this time help our people to choose right in 2007. Amen.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Ashiwaju(m): 11:37am On May 23, 2006
Well, I still believe the nigeria of today are well informed and it would be hard for any rigging to take place and if you must rig then you will have to rig the people along. Imagine what would have happened if obj succeeds TTA? God i am so sure, people like me would rather flee than see that happen. even the iya alata on the streets now understands politics and the campaigners of today just want to take money from whoever they campaign for, they ll fool them and mke them believe they ll win, just like MANTU and co did for OBJ. The truth is we are getting wise and we are really getting large.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 2:27pm On May 23, 2006
I have just read that at the moment there are 9 groups working to contest the presidential post next year.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=48769

Another group that is also already positioning itself comprises members of the economic team in Obasanjo's government. Notable among these people are Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Federal Capital Territory Minister, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, Central Bank Governor, Prof. Charles Soludo and Solid Minerals Minister, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili.
The calculation within this group is that Obasanjo needs a candidate that is not only committed to the on-going reforms but someone who would and can sustain it. Although no candidate has yet emerged from this group, the possibilities of a North/South pairing are already emerging and the weeks ahead would tell the direction and whether Obasanjo will back the move.

This will probably the most efficient and trust worthy coliation in my opinion.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by toshmann(m): 8:51pm On May 23, 2006
Mariory:

Another group that is also already positioning itself comprises members of the economic team in Obasanjo's government. Notable among these people are Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Federal Capital Territory Minister, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, Central Bank Governor, Prof. Charles Soludo and Solid Minerals Minister, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili.
The calculation within this group is that Obasanjo needs a candidate that is not only committed to the on-going reforms but someone who would and can sustain it. Although no candidate has yet emerged from this group, the possibilities of a North/South pairing are already emerging and the weeks ahead would tell the direction and whether Obasanjo will back the move.

This will probably the most efficient and trust worthy coliation in my opinion.
grin story!!!!!!!! grin

when the time comes, we'll see a coalition of the riggers and rapers of naija. we all know this. we can only pray and hope that someday, someone among the thieves will develop conscience and fight injustice for the nation.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by GL(f): 2:20am On May 24, 2006
Somehow, I just don't see Tinubu as the man. He might be ok in the National Assembly, but not the man in charge. He doesnt' seem to have the ideas that would move the economy forward. I can't see that Lagos has changed much since his coming to power, except contributions of the private sector. i believe Lagos should lead development in this country. I not as educated as he is, and don't have all the information about the situation on ground like he does, but I believe he can make money for the state through a sanitisation programme. Lagos is TOO dirty.

i agree he's done free medical programs, renovated schools etc. however, i'm not sure these alone can boost the economy. most of the governors seem to be interested in programs that would solve some of the ppl's immediate needs (like free medical care), but don't bother, except withroads, about things that would keep the economy going. Tinubu's campaign (and many others too) in 2003 couldn't mention many particular landmark projects, it was mostly vague stuff like - Jigi Bola, good roads, good health, better education etc. What we need now is someone with ideas, like i read in the papers about someone who wants to be Delta state governor who would like to establish a factory that manufactures tractors in the state.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 3:52am On May 24, 2006
GL, would the current situation of Lagos (Dirtiness in some parts) be as a result of everyone and their mother flocking there?

Also, in case you didn't know, Lagos is being cheated financially by the Federal Government. Despite having nearly 16 million residents, we get little more than Kaduna State. Despite collecting 60 percent of the tax in the entire country, Lagos only receives 16 percent of that money back from the Federal Government.

While Lagos is very crowded, there is nothing the governor can do about that. It is definitely not like he can deport non-indegenes from the State. So, in short, unless you have a plan to fix the population issue, don't complain.

Hopefully, the census would show an accurate national population so that better distribution of the countries resources can take place.

Even the current Govt data (census is not yet released) shows the Lagos population at only 5.8 million, when everyone knows that the population is at least 2.5 times that.

Link to false government information. http://www.nigeriacongress.org/FGN/administrative/statedetails.asp?state=lagos

I am not even going to go into how many members of the National Assembly Lagos gets, because I know they are being cheated.

I am not the only one that is furious at these lies.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by GL(f): 4:00am On May 24, 2006
16 million! i didn't realize we're that many in Lagos - over 10% of the country's pop'n. I can imagine that Lagos is getting much less than is due. However, I think that this is more reason why the govt. needs to find ways of making money that will also benefit the state.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 4:04am On May 24, 2006
GL, I know the governor personally, and I am convinced he is doing his best. He is well educated in the finance sector and he is using that knowledge to the benefit of Lagosians and Nigerians (e.g. 60 percent of all tax collect comes from Lagos). The current system of government is not balanced, and that is one of the main reason a lot of people are pissed. Certain States are holding/receiving more resources and power than they are entitled to. If the census does not fix this, I will be really upset.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by GL(f): 4:22am On May 24, 2006
That would explain why Lagos state owes teachers a lot. I know several teachers who always have one complaint or the other concerning their salaries. true, we need a system that would balance things out; a state like Lagos should be getting much more. and the northern states, maybe less. Niger Delta should get much more.

I really wish Lagos could be cleaner.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by DaHitler(m): 4:29am On May 24, 2006
I wish it could be cleaner too. When I go to Nigeria, I stay in Lagos, and while some parts are decent, other parts are completely in need of an overhaul. Sadly, the current implementation of Federalism in Nigeria is anything but fair. That is why I think the census is very important. Only by knowing the population of the States can we come up with a fair solution to the current problem of under-representation in the National Assembly and less than fair resource allocation in certain regions (I am not going to call out the region, but we all know what they are).

Like you said, it also my impression that some of the States (I would mention who, because Seun likes to keep these forums free of regional references) are over-represented in the National Assembly and are receiving more than their due in resource allocation.

Either way, back to the main topic. Like I was saying earlier, Tinubu would do an excellent job as President. However, I wonder if it is possible to win a national election under an AD platform.
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 24, 2006
while i agree that the problems of Lagos are enormous, Bola Tinubu has not proven that he is any better than the average politician. He lacks ideas, i second GL's oppinion, democratic dividends should go beyond the occassional provision of free eyeglasses and medical attention. What the people want is good roads, water, good health care and job security. Yes Lagos is being horrendously cheated in terms of funds but the question is what has Tinubu done with the little he's had so far? Can he beat his chest and claim to have initiated programs that are much more than flashes in the pan?

We don't want cosmetic govt, we want a proactive govt that can come up with solutions. That Lagos is the dirtiest state in the world today is not the fault of the FG, what is Tinubu's environment ministry doing? In terms of roads, what have they done besides labeling "pls bear with us, this is a federal road". Are the state roads any better?
Re: Who Should We Dream Of For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 5:42pm On May 24, 2006
Well my fellow countrymen let us call a spade a spade Lagos state is in this situation because the little money realised are used for purchasing medical glasses and other irrelivant things. I believe a good leader should be a good manager. Take Gov. Donald duke for example, of all the Niger-Delta states his allocation is smallest but he is the most performed of all the governors u need to visit and see the level of development in that state if such people are made prrsident in t his country we he would complete a very huge task in just 4 years and will not want a second or third tenure

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenya Shows Nigeria How To Conduct Census. / Imagine: Tafa Balogun Still Using Police Plate Number "IGP" With Escort. / APC Is Not A Progressive Party: Femi Falana, Aturu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.