Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,756 members, 7,935,252 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 04:29 AM

There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) - Literature (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) (737863 Views)

Your Best Story Ever Read On Nairaland / STORY FOR THE GODS [Nairaland Best Ever Magical Movie] / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Chicent(m): 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
Zubby u are damn good. I kw dat,u kw dat,we all kw dat. Thumbs up.

You don't give room for criticism,so I don't see any need 4dat.

Just do ur thing,whether rating or not its 100% all d way!!! We dey with u!
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by lumzybo: 3:36pm On Jul 14, 2013
grin
ZUBY77: Shiiit.

I just mistakenly deleted my chapter 87.

Abeg try retrive it
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by shawrygal(f): 3:41pm On Jul 14, 2013

Go to your recycle bin
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 14, 2013

Haba ooo. Abeg search de recycle bin.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ugsams(m): 3:58pm On Jul 14, 2013
Zuby chapter 86 deals a lot with some sensitive matters. Several times I have been in the conscience battle of faith, belief, doubt and guilt. I have wondered how many people that lives within my head, I can clearly hear them start an argument with two totally opposing view and never come to term except I decide to take the opinion that is suitable or appealling to my state of mind at the exact moment which are mostly the liberal and non judgemental ones. I have wondered if it happens to every other person.

9 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by MrTroll(m): 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
ugsams: Zuby chapter 86 deals a lot with some sensitive matters. Several times I have been in the conscience battle of faith, belief, doubt and guilt. I have wondered how many people that lives within my head, I can clearly hear them start an argument with two totally opposing view and never come to term except I decide to take the opinion that is suitable or appealling to my state of mind at the exact moment which are mostly the liberal and non judgemental ones. I have wondered if it happens to every other person.
when you have such doubts, ask yourself why do you believe in what you believe. Is your belief based on facts? Or are you tied up in the fear of the unknown? Why not do a little research and know the origin of your religion. Why should it be the only true one? Ask, find out, discard fear, free your mind, think! Leave the emotions outside. . .

3 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by weazley(m): 4:40pm On Jul 14, 2013
*singing in flavours voice* african writer numba one oooo, zubby paper and pen magictian ooo, evry body putarnu kain *chops mouth* hmmn, ewoo zubby e ghe gbun mmadu o

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by weazley(m): 4:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
*singing in flavours voice* african writer numba one oooo, zubby paper and pen magictian ooo, evry body putarnu kain *chops mouth* hmmn hmmnn, ewoo zubby e ghe gbun mmadu o

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by olenyi: 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2013

Abeg oooo. Not now. Choi.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Emperortj93(m): 5:03pm On Jul 14, 2013
How many comment now?
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 5:15pm On Jul 14, 2013
Chapter 87

APULIA: A small town of about 4000 people was located beside the atlantic ocean in the northwest region of Portugal.
The cab from Braga had dropped us near the bus station. There was no railway line.
I had paid the cab fares and collected her phone number. I told the lady driver to expect my call in three or four hours so that she would come to take us back to Braga city.

Jenny and I walked across the only major road in the town and headed down to the ocean. We got near the ocean and perched on a rock. The deep blue water stretched into infinity.
Jenny was scared. The waves from the ocean hit the rocks occasionally and sometimes it looked like it would jump up and sweep us away into the ocean.
I opened the bottle of Hennessy I bought from the Morrocan man and gulped down a large quantity directly from the bottle.
I handed it to my baby girl who sipped a little and decided that it wasn't worth drinking.

Right there, on top of a large rock facing the mighty Atlantic ocean, in the small town of Apulia, I had fallen in love with Jennifer. She had fallen in love with me too.
It was written all over her face. She had surrendered herself to me long ago. She had left all hopes and held on to me as if I was her hero.
I had finally succumbed to nature after resisting the temptation for weeks.
She was the closest thing to me for long. I had learnt to trust her as time went bye.

*I remembered when I had decided to chase her out of my life. I had left €1200 on top of my bed inside my room in Lisbon. I had intentionally left the money there and went downstairs. I had told her that I was going to Rossio to buy something in Colombo. Colombo was a 30 minute ride from my house.
I had walked down the street and entered a bar very close to my house. I had purchased a glass of Johnny walker and sat at a place where I could see every movement in and out of my house.
I was hoping that she would take the money and vanish.
I was half way through my drink when my phone rang. It was Jennifer.
*Great! I had caught her. She must have ran away with the money and called me to tell me*

'' Baby, you forgot your money on the bed'' she had said.
Damn!
'' What money'' I had said out of disappointment.

'' There is some money on the bed, check your pocket, you must have thought that you put it there'' she had said.

'' Oh my God!, keep it for me'' I shouted.
Being a very sceptic person, I had thought that she didn't run away because she had nowhere to run to or because Madam Grace was looking for her then.

I planned my second trap.

We had just arrived in MONTIJO area of Lisbon where Jose had helped me find a self-contain apartment in the students hostel.
I had told Jennifer that I was going to send her to Germany. I had made the calls in her presence and arranged for a look-alike document to help buy flight tickets to Berlin.
After the call, she had said that she can't go alone to Germany. She had said that she can't leave me and go anywhere. I had lied to her that I had a wife in Africa. She didn't care or she didn't believe me.
I had tried some other minor methods to scare her away but she had defied all of them and lived with me.*

All those moments flashed past my mind at a very fast pace. I had nothing to say rather than to kiss her and that was exactly what I did.

However, there was only one problem. I had just gulped down a large chunk of alcoholic. Why didn't I feel this love all those while when I had not taken any spirits? Why after Hennessy; that french poison.
Making judgements under the influence of alcohol has always had large negative after-effects.

Whatever the reason was, I was feeling in love at that top of the rock in Apulia, every other thing should hold on. The last time I felt that way was back in Africa with a Ghanaian girl.
If anything had happened to me in Braga, Porto or even Lisbon, Jennifer would have been the person to know first. The responsibility of telling others what happened to me would have fallen on her shoulders.
Knowing what Africa was, some people from My Place and some friends would have even accused her of killing me. Africa. My dark beautiful continent.

I turned around and looked her in the eyes and slowly said '' I love you''
She looked at me and kept her gaze on my two eyes.
'' I know the circumstances that brought us together wasn't ideal for the ordinary human being but I believe you are an Angel. God sent you to guide and be with me in this time of troubles'' I said.
Before I finish what I was saying, she had started crying.
She placed her head on my shoulder and cried for minutes. I didn't bother asking her to stop for I knew it was tears of Joy. Yes, I was semi-prophet. I knew it was tears of Joy.
When she finished crying, took her phone and put two phone numbers in it.
I showed them to her and told her that one belonged to Johnson, a friend of Mine in Germany. I asked her to call him and ask of me if my number stopped connecting anytime in the future.
The second number belonged to my elder brother in Onitsha. I told her the same thing I said about Johnson. We spent an hour or thereabout on the rock and walked to the sandy shores of the mighty Atlantic ocean.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by kuspa1(m): 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2013
You are such a good writer, Zubby. One in a million! Also, your write up is truly educating and as well as entertaining.
Ride on Sir!!!

6 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Screwface(m): 5:29pm On Jul 14, 2013

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 5:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
Screwface: Bro! I get one small problem for this ur tori sha. You still neva yarn us d place wey u come go get ur degree for that europe, or how many degree for that matter. Because even some msc holders wey I know for we country here nor dey yarn and flow dis way. Do include am for this ur tori kwanucheesy. I dey wait.

No degrees.
No University.

I spent a lot of time online between 2008 and 2010.
I read a lot of John Grisham books.

I learnt from there.

I m still working to get into the university here in Nigeria but time is working against me.

BUT DURING MY ENTIRE TIME IN PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, I NEVER CAME SECOND.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Screwface(m): 5:59pm On Jul 14, 2013
ZUBY77:

No degrees.
No University.

I spent a lot of time online between 2008 and 2010.
I read a lot of John Grisham books.

I learnt from there.

I m still working to get into the university here in Nigeria but time is working against me.

BUT DURING MY ENTIRE TIME IN PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS, I NEVER CAME SECOND.

Well then...I'l be damned! Kudos man!

If you want this educative piece published (ePub or hardcopy), I can give you a web address and a number to call. Am also working on something at the moment, and the guys in the publishing house have been helpfull. You should try them out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 6:05pm On Jul 14, 2013
Screwface:

Well then...I'l be damned! Kudos man!

If you want this educative piece published (ePub or hardcopy), I can give you a web address and a number to call. Am also working on something at the moment, and the guys in the publishing house have been helpfull. You should try them out.

Thanks.

There is a number on my signature.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by olenyi: 7:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
Jennifer is now slowly taking the place of Efuah and Agnes. grin
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by obinoral(m): 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2013
ZUBY77:

Thanks.

There is a number on my signature.
tell me u marry jennifer pls?
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Tinynita(f): 9:48pm On Jul 14, 2013
obinoral: tell me u marry jennifer pls?
no he didnt....he said earlier dat he wanted to go nd check out a gal his mom wants him to get married to

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 9:48pm On Jul 14, 2013
obinoral: tell me u marry jennifer pls?

Patience bro.

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Tinynita(f): 9:49pm On Jul 14, 2013
jenny is just a passing phase....there wuld b many oda babes afta her

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 9:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
Tinynita: no he didnt....he said earlier dat he wanted to go nd check out a gal his mom wants him to get married to

Good. You are following

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by kenny1795(m): 9:59pm On Jul 14, 2013
Spending six hourz reading a story in nl z nt d best way to spend a day but i must say it is worth it. Bdw zubby try movin ur story to d literature section since it containz less sexuality

2 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by donigspain(m): 10:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
kenny1795: Spending six hourz reading a story in nl z nt d best way to spend a day but i must say it is worth it. Bdw zubby try movin ur story to d literature section since it containz less sexuality
Noooo... Our stories will be here. Nobody wanna go to that ego clan where stûpid negative competition goes on.
*sorry for taking up the matter but I just couldn't help it.

10 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Memphis357(m): 11:29pm On Jul 14, 2013
ugsams: Zuby chapter 86 deals a lot with some sensitive matters. Several times I have been in the conscience battle of faith, belief, doubt and guilt. I have wondered how many people that lives within my head, I can clearly hear them start an argument with two totally opposing view and never come to term except I decide to take the opinion that is suitable or appealling to my state of mind at the exact moment which are mostly the liberal and non judgemental ones. I have wondered if it happens to every other person.
My brother,I ponder the same thoughts you are having over and over again. I think chapter 86 brought back that question on our existence on earth.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by wizboi26(m): 12:28am On Jul 15, 2013
oga zubby,you are really good.your stories has always made my day. I love your style of writing.your your story is the beat story I have read in nairaland.seriously you need to take this to the literature section,so that it can really be on the front page it is worth it.thanks bro.you are the bomb!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by obinoral(m): 3:33am On Jul 15, 2013
Tinynita: no he didnt....he said earlier dat he wanted to go nd check out a gal his mom wants him to get married to
jenny might still be in the picture. You cant predicy oga zubby77 which you know.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by 1forall: 5:43am On Jul 15, 2013
This user Zuby got me reading this since yesterday, now just going to bed at 5.45am! I def didn't plan it this way but I couldn't stop reading, I could relate to the whole story very well.

I know there's a ton of great comments already but I'll add mine and say this is a great story you've got Zuby especially because it's based on true life events.

What I find most gratifying about it is how it presents life in the Western world in a different way from what the average Nigerian is used to hearing. This is because I am astonished each time I read comments on this forum where people express (false) disapproval for Nigerians living abroad, and shake my head in disappointment at the mis-placed arguments attempting to show love for fatherland. What most don't realize is that travelling itself is a form of education and there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting educated. The ancient Egyptians believed that extensive learning about other cultures was the equivalent of University education.

I mean, from Zuby's writing it's impossible to even think that he did not go through University academics if he didn't say so himself. But he proves that the education from the University of Life; from which he has obviously gained post-graduate honours through travelling, is worth more.

I've said before that if it was possible to arrange for ALL the 112 million poor Nigerians to travel to developed countries and bring them back after 6 months, a revolution will be automatic because people's eyes will have been opened.

One of the potential lessons of travelling is: When you're surrounded by people of a drastically different culture, language and color, if you get lucky enough to see a black man you wouldn't care if he was from Gambia or Congo. Then you'd realize that the foolish tribal hatred and general Hausa-Igbo-Yoruba division is just a petty enemy of progress in our land.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by hanelson(m): 7:13am On Jul 15, 2013
Zuby zubairu bro thanks for the story man.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by drnairalov: 8:07am On Jul 15, 2013
rise and shine...going to work: would be bck for mor updates.wish me well cos na only 300 dey ma pocket dis morning
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by donigspain(m): 8:27am On Jul 15, 2013
drnairalov: rise and shine...going to work: would be bck for mor updates.wish me well cos na only 300 dey ma pocket dis morning
Lol, it's well bro.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 15, 2013
drnairalov: rise and shine...going to work: would be bck for mor updates.wish me well cos na only 300 dey ma pocket dis morning
lol! Tread carefully b4 u pour someone's palm oil. Its well

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (162) (Reply)

NYSC: National Year Of Sex And Comfort <<<Adventure of the year: 2013 Awards >>> / Story Of Addiction..... (love Story) / Love Hiccups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.