Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,208 members, 7,977,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:18 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (521510 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dugochi: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2013
VisaOfficer:
Thanks.
Hello! Sorry I didn't answer your question -- there were a lot of pregnancy-related questions lately. Yes, you are certainly welcome to reapply, and I don't *think* you will have any problems at the interview due to your previous pregnancy. Be prepared to demonstrate that you paid your bills, though. Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2013
cacius: Good Day Visa Officer, I have been following this thread and I want to say thank you for answering questions from applicants and intending applicants. I want to know what are the specific financial documents that are required from a USC petitioner for a K1 visa. Does she needs a statement of her bank accounts? Secondly I will like to know how much her annual earnings will be to cater for 3 people including herself. Thirdly how long does it take to get an interview date in Lagos after the embassy must have received the packet from NVC. Looking forward to your response.

K1 visas are different than most other immigrant visas in that they do NOT require submission of the I-864, which is a legally binding, serious document. Not that the I-134 (the document you use for K cases) isn't serious, but the standard of evidence is a bit less strict. No bank statements will be necessary, but we do like to see the three most recent years' worth of tax documents (1040s and W2s). You can check the poverty guidelines at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf -- looks like a household of three needs an income of $24,412.

Appointments for K visas are now made online. Once Lagos receives the packet, they will contact the petitioner with instructions. At the moment the next available K appointments start on Sept. 23.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by cacius: 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2013
Thank You very much for the response.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:29am On Aug 23, 2013
Important note re: Diversity Visa appointments: The 2013 DV season ends at midnight, September 30. That means that any visas we are unable to print before midnight, Sept. 30, cannot be printed. In order to accomodate the large number of entrants who have waited until the end of the season to schedule their interviews, Lagos may not be able to accomodate your request for a rescheduled appointment. If you have an appointment for a DV interview, please come on time with all required documents, your spouse, your children, and the interview fee. Remember, winning the DV lottery means you have won the chance to be interviewed; it does not guarantee that you will receive a visa. At this point in the year, missing your scheduled appointment -- for any reason -- likely means missing your opportunity to interview for a Diversity Visa.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by guiterist: 9:04am On Aug 23, 2013
Dear VO,
My band of 8 was invited to come and perform in an African show in new york. our lead singer who is the head of the band has gotten the invitation letter.
However, i am a bit skeptical in applying for the visa together with our whole crew because I fear I may be denied since I don't have a very good bank statement yet as I just joined this band lately and still trying to build my account tho our band leader is sponsoring.
Honestly I fear I may be denied for this reason and that I don't want!
So, are we all going to be interviewed together or individually?
what are my chances of getting the visa and what is your professional advice for me?
Warmest Regards
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:14am On Aug 23, 2013
guiterist: Dear VO,
My band of 8 was invited to come and perform in an African show in new york. our lead singer who is the head of the band has gotten the invitation letter.
However, i am a bit skeptical in applying for the visa together with our whole crew because I fear I may be denied since I don't have a very good bank statement yet as I just joined this band lately and still trying to build my account tho our band leader is sponsoring.
Honestly I fear I may be denied for this reason and that I don't want!
So, are we all going to be interviewed together or individually?
what are my chances of getting the visa and what is your professional advice for me?
Warmest Regards

Greetings! You'll all be interviewed separately, maybe not even on the same day -- it depends when you schedule your interviews. I really can't hazard a guess based on what you've written as to whether you'll be issued a visa. There are too many factors involved. It is good, though, that you have a specific event to attend that makes sense given what you do for a living. Your bank account doesn't have to be amazing -- you just have to show that you can afford the trip. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by guiterist: 9:26am On Aug 23, 2013
Thanks sire..Have a greatday!

VisaOfficer:

Greetings! You'll all be interviewed separately, maybe not even on the same day -- it depends when you schedule your interviews. I really can't hazard a guess based on what you've written as to whether you'll be issued a visa. There are too many factors involved. It is good, though, that you have a specific event to attend that makes sense given what you do for a living. Your bank account doesn't have to be amazing -- you just have to show that you can afford the trip. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:54am On Aug 23, 2013
guiterist: Thanks sire..Have a greatday!

You, too! smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by goldentie4real: 11:57am On Aug 23, 2013
Good morning visa officer, please i want to apply for a non immigrant visiting visa but i don't have money in my bank account if i want to present my bank statement but i am a livestock farmer and i have pigs that worth hundreds of thousands of naira which i can sell immediately i get the visa. Can i take their picture and bring it when i am coming for the interview and what are the chances of geting visa. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:59pm On Aug 23, 2013
goldentie4real: Good morning visa officer, please i want to apply for a non immigrant visiting visa but i don't have money in my bank account if i want to present my bank statement but i am a livestock farmer and i have pigs that worth hundreds of thousands of naira which i can sell immediately i get the visa. Can i take their picture and bring it when i am coming for the interview and what are the chances of geting visa. Thanks

Well, the important thing is to convince the officer that you can afford the trip. If the photos support your ownership of the livestock, by all means, bring them. It will be important to be able to explain credibly why you want to go and what you plan to do. But there are too many factors involved in a visa decision for me to hazard a guess as to whether your interview will be successful. Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Wizcollifa(m): 1:33pm On Aug 23, 2013
Am a student and I don't even have up to 200k in my account.. My girl friend is a black american and she lives in houston thou her birth place is North carolina, she ask me to pay her a visit that she sponsor everything. Please how do I go about it.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by martinodonjay: 3:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
Consular Officer,What are the possible questions on conference visa interview in us embassy?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
Wizcollifa: Am a student and I don't even have up to 200k in my account.. My girl friend is a black american and she lives in houston thou her birth place is North carolina, she ask me to pay her a visit that she sponsor everything. Please how do I go about it.

You would need to make an appointment for a non-immigrant visa, then in your interview you would need to convince the Consular officer that you will not be a public charge and that you will return to Nigeria in a timely manner. Frankly, you may have a difficult time convincing the officer, based on what you have written.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
martinodonjay: Consular Officer,What are the possible questions on conference visa interview in us embassy?

If you can explain why you want to attend and how you will pay the associated costs, that would be a big first step. I can't guess what specific questions you'll be asked. It all depends.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dryz: 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
Just wanted to thank you @VisaOfficer, had a visa interview today at the Abuja Office with my family for a vacation trip. It was successful. The answers you gave here really helped a lot to prepare us for the interview. Read this thread several times over. GREAT WORK!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Henries: 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2013
@vo,thanks for those useful tips.sent an e mail to embassy how i ignorantly opened my sealed enveope,got a response to come to the embassy with my passport scared though but went there,got it resealed after asked why i opened it n explained.came to the US yesterday.thanks n remain bless
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Wizcollifa(m): 9:42pm On Aug 23, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You would need to make an appointment for a non-immigrant visa, then in your interview you would need to convince the Consular officer that you will not be a public charge and that you will return to Nigeria in a timely manner. Frankly, you may have a difficult time convincing the officer, based on what you have written.
thank you very much, what if she send me an invitation letter? Will they still be any difficulty?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by souleymon(m): 10:31pm On Aug 23, 2013
Henries: @vo,thanks for those useful tips.sent an e mail to embassy how i ignorantly opened my sealed enveope,got a response to come to the embassy with my passport scared though but went there,got it resealed after asked why i opened it n explained.came to the US yesterday.thanks n remain bless

Good to know it got resealed for you.

Thanks for providing that info
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ur123456: 6:20am On Aug 24, 2013
Hello visa officer, kindly advise on what to do because I had my interview on Friday but I was refused .these were the question asked.
Vo: who did want to visit
Me : ans
Vo: where did she work
Me: ans
Vo: where did u work and how many years
Me: ans (Telecom for 7yrs)
Vo: my position at work
Me: answer
Vo:'ve u travelled before
Me : no
Vo: are u married
Me: engage
Vo: when are u getting married
Me : December 14.
She said sorry I your visa application as been refused without no reason.
Please advise on these issues as a professional.because I want to reapply again and I 'll be go 2 Ghana on 6 september for my neighbour' burial. Hope dis would not affect my next interview.
Kindly advise
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by blawi1(f): 7:51pm On Aug 24, 2013
Greetings CO. A friend has this dilemma: she got her current visa as a single lady and it expires soon. She visited the U.S in 2012 and got married to her husband who is a permanent resident of the U.S. She returned to Nigeria afterwards and has visited again in 2013 staying for a month. She wants to renew her visa as she has no plans of over-staying/ relocating yet. Her husband becomes a citizen next year and will file for her come 2014 but she wants to maintain a clean record for the future. Would a CO insist on interviewing her despite the dropbox for renewal being available now? What are her chances of getting her visa? Please advise.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dannie007(m): 9:08am On Aug 25, 2013
Hello CO, my Family friend went for her DV interview Wednessday, the VO interviewed her and later asked her if she was married she said yes.
VO: are u married
She: Yes
VO: will your Husband travel with you?
She: No
VO: So why did u filled single
She: when I filled the Visa lottery form I was still single
VO: OK, take this form and Go and send your marriage certificate there.
She: ok sir.

CO please what is next, because the VO kept her passport and it was the Next day I follow her to the DHL office to send her Marriage certificate.

Notice: on her application her Husband DOB is 1976 while on the marriage cert is 1977, that was a Silly Mistake on her part when filling the form. Will dis Raise any 'RED FLAG' Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ComputerLaptop: 1:23am On Aug 26, 2013
Hello V.O, I have a football trial in the U.S and during the process, i was asked to pay for a "security bond", before i would be giving my invitation letter.

Please is there anything like security bond?

Again, what visa type would be suitable for my visit?

I await to hear from you sir.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Ddream77: 2:37am On Aug 26, 2013
Dear V.O, does the US embassy recognise NECO results alone? What are the subjects required for DV lottery winners and average score in each subjects? For confirmation of results, either WAEC or NECO do we need to bring along a NECO or WAEC scratch card for verification of results?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Aug 26, 2013
Henries: @vo,thanks for those useful tips.sent an e mail to embassy how i ignorantly opened my sealed enveope,got a response to come to the embassy with my passport scared though but went there,got it resealed after asked why i opened it n explained.came to the US yesterday.thanks n remain bless

Best of luck to you! When you get a chance, let us know what happened at the airport when you were processed as a new immigrant. I hope you enjoy your new home!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Aug 26, 2013
Wizcollifa: thank you very much, what if she send me an invitation letter? Will they still be any difficulty?

It's really impossible to say without interviewing you in person -- there are too many factors at play. I can tell you that invitation letters aren't a big help; they're too easy to create on any computer.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Aug 26, 2013
ur123456: Hello visa officer, kindly advise on what to do because I had my interview on Friday but I was refused .these were the question asked.
Vo: who did want to visit
Me : ans
Vo: where did she work
Me: ans
Vo: where did u work and how many years
Me: ans (Telecom for 7yrs)
Vo: my position at work
Me: answer
Vo:'ve u travelled before
Me : no
Vo: are u married
Me: engage
Vo: when are u getting married
Me : December 14.
She said sorry I your visa application as been refused without no reason.
Please advise on these issues as a professional.because I want to reapply again and I 'll be go 2 Ghana on 6 september for my neighbour' burial. Hope dis would not affect my next interview.
Kindly advise

I'm sorry to hear that your interview was unsuccessful. There are so many factors involved in the decision that, even with the detailed report you give, I can't tell you why you did not receive a visa. Going to Ghana would certainly not hurt your chances at getting a U.S. visa in the future. Best of luck to you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:05am On Aug 26, 2013
blawi1: Greetings CO. A friend has this dilemma: she got her current visa as a single lady and it expires soon. She visited the U.S in 2012 and got married to her husband who is a permanent resident of the U.S. She returned to Nigeria afterwards and has visited again in 2013 staying for a month. She wants to renew her visa as she has no plans of over-staying/ relocating yet. Her husband becomes a citizen next year and will file for her come 2014 but she wants to maintain a clean record for the future. Would a CO insist on interviewing her despite the dropbox for renewal being available now? What are her chances of getting her visa? Please advise.

Greetiings! Based on what you've written, your friend does qualify for the dropbox. Every day some dropbox applicants are randomly chosen to be interviewed, but the chances of that are slim. If your friend is chosen to be interviewed, I think (based on what you've written) that her chances of obtaining a new visa are good. It's true that she intends to immigrate in the future, but she also has a very strong travel history. Based just on what's written here, my sense is that she should be all right.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:09am On Aug 26, 2013
dannie007: Hello CO, my Family friend went for her DV interview Wednessday, the VO interviewed her and later asked her if she was married she said yes.
VO: are u married
She: Yes
VO: will your Husband travel with you?
She: No
VO: So why did u filled single
She: when I filled the Visa lottery form I was still single
VO: OK, take this form and Go and send your marriage certificate there.
She: ok sir.

CO please what is next, because the VO kept her passport and it was the Next day I follow her to the DHL office to send her Marriage certificate.

Notice: on her application her Husband DOB is 1976 while on the marriage cert is 1977, that was a Silly Mistake on her part when filling the form. Will dis Raise any 'RED FLAG' Thanks.

When the officer receives the marriage certificate, he or she will review the case. The discrepancy in the husband's date of birth shouldn't be a big problem, but from what you've written, I can't tell what the other issues in the case might be. At any rate, your friend should hear something soon.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:15am On Aug 26, 2013
ComputerLaptop: Hello V.O, I have a football trial in the U.S and during the process, i was asked to pay for a "security bond", before i would be giving my invitation letter.

Please is there anything like security bond?

Again, what visa type would be suitable for my visit?

I await to hear from you sir.

The U.S. Government absolutely does not require security bonds. I would be rather suspicious of anyone who requires you to pay before issuing an invitation letter -- that sounds a bit odd. Is the team asking you to pay, or is it an agent? If it's an agent, personally, I wouldn't pay. Sounds like a scam to me.

You can apply for a B-1 (business visitor) visa. Here are the rules for professional athletes traveling on the B-1:

Receives no salary or income from a U.S.-based company/entity, other than prize money for participation in a tournament or sporting event.
Try-outs for a professional team, but cannot remain in US playing on US team.
Athletes or team members who seek to enter the United States as members of a foreign based team in order to compete with another sports team shall be admitted provided:
(1) The foreign athlete and the foreign sports team have their principal place of business or activity in a foreign country;
(2) The income of the foreign based team and the salary of its players are principally accrued in a foreign country; and(
3) The foreign-based sports team is a member of an international sports league or the sporting activities involved have an international dimension.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:21am On Aug 26, 2013
D-dream77:
Dear V.O, does the US embassy recognise NECO results alone? What are the subjects required for DV lottery winners and average score in each subjects? For confirmation of results, either WAEC or NECO do we need to bring along a NECO or WAEC scratch card for verification of results?

Good morning! We do recognize NECO results. Applicants must have 5 scores of 5 or better in 5 different subjects on the WAEC, SSCE, NECO, or NABTEB certified exams; or they can qualify with a BSC degree, HND, or OND from an accredited university or polytechnic institution.

The WAEC or NECO subjects must be academic subjects (for instance, English, biology, math, etc.). Trade subjects, such as plumbing or garment making, do not count for the DV program.

We really, really like it when applicants bring scratch cards so we can verify their results. smiley

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 26, 2013
Thanks again for this thread. My dad and brother were coming from the US on Saturday. While chatting with the Customs/Border officer (I don't know what they're officially called), the officer didn't stamp his passport but stamped my brother's- although their photographs and other biometrics were taken.

Will this pose a problem in the future? I mean, without the stamp, is there any proof of his going to the US? Just in case he wishes to re-apply and he tells the Visa Officer he had been to the US before, is there any way to prove this without the official stamp?

I hope you understand my question; I couldn't really find a better way to put it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (66)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.