Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,722 members, 7,921,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:55 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (520047 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:35am On Aug 27, 2013
zill: Hello visa officer. I want to try my luck for a US visa but i don't know if it's a must that i register my business before applying? I only have a shop and i'm a frequent traveller to dubai but i've never thought of registering my business as i do pay my tax. Do i stand a chance or can i use my tax certificate instead? Thanks

The status of your business is just one factor among many. I suppose it's a bit stronger to say "I have a registered business" than "I have a business," but if your case is otherwise strong, it shouldn't matter. Conversely, if there are red flags associated with your case, having a registered business may not be enough to overcome them. Every case is different; it's all highly situational. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:36am On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: it seems you have not understand my question. please sir/ma i want to have clear view on this statement, it among the interview items that i will go along with but i do not understand it. it says updated original copies of civil documents and/ or financial evidence such as tax returns which may have change or been superseded since you originally submitted them to the NVC for review

Could you tell me what kind of visa you're applying for? NIV, IV, fiance, IR2...? The answer will depend on the category. Thanks!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:40am On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: one more question that i will like to ask is how much are am i going to pay for the visa?.i won america visa lottery n i will like to travel with my wife,so i want to know the amount of all the fees that are involve.thanks for your good job.

Congratulations! Right now the fee for the Diversity Visa program is $330 per applicant. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by musajohn80: 11:21am On Aug 27, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Thanks! I'm really enjoying this experience too. smiley

Let me see if I understand. The U.S. citizen's child was granted parole? If so, the person should send an e-mail to LagosNIV@state.gov to let us know and ask what to do next. It can take a couple of days to answer all our e-mail, but if the parole expires in the meantime, we can probably contact the office that granted it and ask for an extension.

Thanks for your prompt response. I just got confirmation from my friend that an email and a copy of the notice of parole was sent yesterday to the email address you dropped. But, the fear is if the process will finish before the parole expires since it was approved 2nd August 2013, though I made the friend to know that there is possibility of getting extension if it expires. I will continue to follow up and update you on the progress. Thanks for your support .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 12:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
it seems you have not understand my question. please sir/ma i want to have clear view on this statement, it among the interview items that i will go along with but i do not understand it. it says updated original copies of civil documents and/ or financial evidence such as tax returns which may have change or been superseded since you originally submitted them to the NVC for review
what does it really mean,please help explain it very well please our interview is in two weeks time sir.i want to fully understand it pleas.thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: it seems you have not understand my question. please sir/ma i want to have clear view on this statement, it among the interview items that i will go along with but i do not understand it. it says updated original copies of civil documents and/ or financial evidence such as tax returns which may have change or been superseded since you originally submitted them to the NVC for review
what does it really mean,please help explain it very well please our interview is in two weeks time sir.i want to fully understand it pleas.thanks

Again, I can't answer that without knowing what kind of visa you're applying for. Are you applying for an immigrant visa? If so, is it a fiance visa, an IR2, another category...? Do they want the beneficiary's financial evidence or the petitioner's? I can't answer without knowing these details, because the answer changes depending on the situation.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2013
see i dnt understand,i only applied for dvlottery visa,which i sent to kcc. and we received interview appointment letter from NVC.but i dnt understand what u mean by type of visa NIV,IV FIANCE, IR2 PLEASE CAN YOU ENLIGHT ME on it.thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Leripa(m): 1:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: see i dnt understand,i only applied for dvlottery visa,which i sent to kcc. and we received interview appointment letter from NVC.but i dnt understand what u mean by type of visa NIV,IV FIANCE, IR2 PLEASE CAN YOU ENLIGHT ME on it.thanks

Answer these questions please,
1. When and how did you apply for the dv lottery?
2. How did you know that you won?
3. What type of forms did you fill and send to KCC?
4. What's your case number like?

Provide answers to these questions and let the VO take it up from there. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
may God continue to bless you for your good job especially the humble way you answer my question.one more time what is immigrant visa .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by zill(f): 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
VisaOfficer:

The status of your business is just one factor among many. I suppose it's a bit stronger to say "I have a registered business" than "I have a business," but if your case is otherwise strong, it shouldn't matter. Conversely, if there are red flags associated with your case, having a registered business may not be enough to overcome them. Every case is different; it's all highly situational. Good luck!

Thank you so much.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 27, 2013
VO, I will like to know if it is possible for a US citizen to file I-130 and I-485 concurrently for siblings on B1/B2 visa in the US? Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmamaraihe: 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
(1.)the dv lottery visa tha i applied for was that of 2013.(2.)the guy who runs the business called me to imform me that i won i ask for the evidence he gave me the confirmation number i confirmed it.(3.)and form that i fill is us department of state _supplemental registration for the DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRA.which is only 1-2 pages only fill it,another form which have 1-4 pages me and my wife filled it, is APPLICATION FOR IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION (4.)MY CASE NUMBER IS 2013AF00004009
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by auschris: 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
@Visaofficer, thanks for your wonderfull work on this thread. I want to know if my younger brother who is currently a legal permanent resident in the US file for me when he becomes a citizen. If yes, would he be able to file for my wife and child(cos I am married)?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by donaldluv: 3:34pm On Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for your contribution so far and below is my case:
1) Around early 1990s a relation filed for Immigrant visa and somewhere along the line it wasn't completed, I was less than 15yrs old then.
2) I applied for a US visiting visa in 2000 as a student and was denied
3) I traveled to South Africa in 2006
4) After been married for 3yrs with 2 kids and working in a telecoms firm for 6yrs with Acct Statement balance of 1.2 million Naira, I applied for a US visiting visa to visit a US citizen aunty in 2010 was denied. During the interview the interviewer asked if I filed immigrant visa before and I answered that it was some long time ago(like 17yrs) but didn't have much details about it(was still a kid then), then he asked if I have traveled outside Africa and I answered NO that only South Africa as at then, then handled over the refusal notice.
5) 4 months after the refusal I applied for a UK visa in 2011 and was granted 6 months though I stated reason for the 2010 US Visa refusal as "Not Travel Outside Africa".I visited UK for 4 days only.
6) A year later i.e 2012 I applied for German visa(Schengen) and I visited Germany for 5 days also.
7) Currently I work with a new Telecoms firm with Monthly pay of almost 500k and age 35yrs old now.

I plan on visiting UK with my wife and 2 kids(5 and 4 years respectively) next year because they have no travel history but I am now contemplating not doing the UK visit again with them and just do US visit visa for like 10 days holiday.

Would we likely be granted the Visa and also considering no travel history for them and other circumstances I have narrated above.

Thanks for your time.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ComputerLaptop: 3:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
VisaOfficer:

The North Carolina police say: "thank you for your online report. in order to complete the report we will need his full name, dob, address, etc and also how much money was lost ?"

Could you send that information to LagosIV@state.gov, and I'll forward it to them (and cc you)? Put NORTH CAROLINA SCAM in the subject line so I can find it easily. Thanks!

Yeah, I know, I was pretending to be vaguely somewhere in West Africa, to stay as anonymous as possible. For something like this, I'll go ahead and admit I'm in Nigeria. You all knew that anyway. smiley

Boss, you mean my money will get back to me if the case is pursued?? cheesy grin..I've only spent $595.00; Reg fee: $75.00, Insurance, $180.00 and Hotel: $340.00. So i do not know if it's worth the stress or i should just let go, instead. I've learnt my lessons. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by statesman22(m): 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2013
Please sir would there be October DV lottery selection for this year?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: see i dnt understand,i only applied for dvlottery visa,which i sent to kcc. and we received interview appointment letter from NVC.but i dnt understand what u mean by type of visa NIV,IV FIANCE, IR2 PLEASE CAN YOU ENLIGHT ME on it.thanks

Ah! Now that I know that you're applying for the Diversity Visa program, I can answer! Don't worry, there's no reason why you should know the difference between all these visa categories, it's very confusing.

You do not need to submit ANY financial documents to a Diversity Visa interview. The underlying assumption of the DV interview is that, if you qualify, you'll be able to support yourself without becoming a public charge. So all you need to demonstrate is that you have the qualifying academic or work history to get a visa. The letter that says "updated original copies of civil documents and/ or financial evidence" is a generic letter -- that's why it says "and/or" -- they send it to everyone, but not all of it applies to every case. You won't need any financial documents.

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2013
jejet: VO, I will like to know if it is possible for a US citizen to file I-130 and I-485 concurrently for siblings on B1/B2 visa in the US? Thank you

Greetings! The I-130 can be filed at any time, even when the sibling is in the U.S. already on a B1/B2 visa. The I-485, though, can't be filed until a visa number is available... which, for siblings, is around a 12-year wait at present. So a sibling would not be able to adjust status while in the U.S. on a B1/B2 visa, because the visa would expire long before the case became current. (Unless he came back 12 years later on a new B1/B2...)

For a fuller explanation, please see: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2da73a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2da73a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:58pm On Aug 27, 2013
emmamaraihe: (1.)the dv lottery visa tha i applied for was that of 2013.(2.)the guy who runs the business called me to imform me that i won i ask for the evidence he gave me the confirmation number i confirmed it.(3.)and form that i fill is us department of state _supplemental registration for the DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRA.which is only 1-2 pages only fill it,another form which have 1-4 pages me and my wife filled it, is APPLICATION FOR IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION (4.)MY CASE NUMBER IS 2013AF00004009

Great! You don't need any financial documents. Whatever you do, don't miss your appointment, because at this point we will not be able to reschedule you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
auschris: @Visaofficer, thanks for your wonderfull work on this thread. I want to know if my younger brother who is currently a legal permanent resident in the US file for me when he becomes a citizen. If yes, would he be able to file for my wife and child(cos I am married)?

Yes! When your brother becomes a citizen, he can file for you, and your spouse and child(ren) can be included in the same petition! smiley

This is why it's important to be kind to your younger siblings... you never know when they will come in handy... grin

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
donaldluv: Thanks for your contribution so far and below is my case:
1) Around early 1990s a relation filed for Immigrant visa and somewhere along the line it wasn't completed, I was less than 15yrs old then.
2) I applied for a US visiting visa in 2000 as a student and was denied
3) I traveled to South Africa in 2006
4) After been married for 3yrs with 2 kids and working in a telecoms firm for 6yrs with Acct Statement balance of 1.2 million Naira, I applied for a US visiting visa to visit a US citizen aunty in 2010 was denied. During the interview the interviewer asked if I filed immigrant visa before and I answered that it was some long time ago(like 17yrs) but didn't have much details about it(was still a kid then), then he asked if I have traveled outside Africa and I answered NO that only South Africa as at then, then handled over the refusal notice.
5) 4 months after the refusal I applied for a UK visa in 2011 and was granted 6 months though I stated reason for the 2010 US Visa refusal as "Not Travel Outside Africa".I visited UK for 4 days only.
6) A year later i.e 2012 I applied for German visa(Schengen) and I visited Germany for 5 days also.
7) Currently I work with a new Telecoms firm with Monthly pay of almost 500k and age 35yrs old now.

I plan on visiting UK with my wife and 2 kids(5 and 4 years respectively) next year because they have no travel history but I am now contemplating not doing the UK visit again with them and just do US visit visa for like 10 days holiday.

Would we likely be granted the Visa and also considering no travel history for them and other circumstances I have narrated above.

Thanks for your time.

I know you're all getting tired of hearing this, but even with all the details you've provided, it's impossible to make a prediction based on what you've written. From what you've written, just my personal opinion, you sound like a good applicant. I don't know what happened in your earlier interviews, though, or what it would be like to talk to you in person. It's just impossible to say for sure. That said, I'm not seeing any reason why you SHOULDN'T apply.

Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
ComputerLaptop:

Boss, you mean my money will get back to me if the case is pursued?? cheesy grin..I've only spent $595.00; Reg fee: $75.00, Insurance, $180.00 and Hotel: $340.00. So i do not know if it's worth the stress or i should just let go, instead. I've learnt my lessons. smiley

Just let me know... if I don't hear from you by Thursday, I'll let the NC police know they should let it go. (Friday I'll be out of the office, so let's call it Thursday.)
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
statesman22: Please sir would there be October DV lottery selection for this year?

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. I promise I'll let you know as soon as I know something.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
By the way, if you want to see something both hilarious and frightening, check out http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/immigration-flowchart-roadmap-to-green-card.pdf . It's a flowchart of ways to qualify for Legal Permanent Resident status and it makes my head hurt just trying to follow all the lines.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
interestingleap:
Urgent advice needed. A friend has a Visitor VISA interview this week. She would be visiting a friend but she filled a wrong information in the "Organization Name in the U.S." field for her friend.
The friend she would be visiting already left the company she imputed and is now working in another equally reputable firm but she had already submitted the form only for this info to come up recently. What would you advise at the interview if questions are asked in this regard.
Thanks you.
VisaOfficer:
Shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the truth if asked and everything should be fine.
interestingleap:
Thank you VO, my friend's VISA was granted.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
interestingleap:
Thank you for your time.
I would like to ask if it is advisable to book my Disney vacation package before the interview in order to increase my chance with the visa officer. Also, kindly shed some light on the effect my virgin passport could have on my application. Thanks once more
VisaOfficer:

I'd only book the vacation package if it's possible to get a refund if you have to cancel your plans. We always advise people not to buy tickets, etc., until they have received their visas. Just in case.

A virgin passport isn't necessarily a problem. It's more important for applicants to demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country (or country of residence). Having a travel history isn't as important as being able to show ties.

Good luck! Also, if your son is small, be careful on the Space Mountain ride at Disney. I fainted on that ride when I was six years old and scared the daylights out of my dad. grin
Thank you so so much VO. VISA was granted for me and my son. Yippe!!! Orlando Florida, here we come
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
I want to specially thank you VO. You are truly saving lives here. Your candid advices went a long way on the two cases I brought up here. God bless you

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
interestingleap:

Thank you so so much VO. VISA was granted for me and my son. Yippe!!! Orlando Florida, here we come

Careful on Space Mountain!!! cheesy
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by G2Glory(m): 7:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hi V.O.
I need your guidance and advice for a leaglly married Female DV2014 selectee that just had a new baby in August and already received 2NL from KCC for interview in october 2013. Based on the letter from KCC, this was stated ("The Kentucky Consular Center has completed the processing of your case and forwarded it to the interviewing office. Further inquiries should be addressed to the interviewing office listed above. When communicating with the Embassy/Consulate either by telephone or letter, always refer to your name and case number exactly as they appear below.If any documents are listed below as incomplete, please present the completed documents at the time of interview").

The selectee desires to inform embassy ahead of time & include the new baby as part of the beneficiaries. Please how do we contact the embassy & what information she needs to provide. The contact address provided in the letter was postal address (EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES, VISA UNIT,2 ELEKE CRESCENT,PO BOX 554,LAGOS,NIGERIA).
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by auschris: 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Yes! When your brother becomes a citizen, he can file for you, and your spouse and child(ren) can be included in the same petition! smiley

This is why it's important to be kind to your younger siblings... you never know when they will come in handy... grin
How long will it take to process the visa from the time he becomes a citizen?
What class of visa would I be eligible for?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Bambi2013: 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
Visa Officer,
We are in our fifth month of the black hole of AP in Cairo. The embassy says we are in Washington, and Washington says no we are at the embassy. We are just flat out confused as where we are. Our problem is my husband has been offered a job in another country and I am terrified if he takes this position, when his CR-1 Visa is finally issued, if he is not physically in Egypt, will it trigger a new different AP? (In 3 months his CR-1 will convert to an IR-1)
Thank You

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (66)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.