Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,617 members, 7,888,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:27 PM

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled (34363 Views)

Poll: University students expelled for not carrying along their bibles to assembly! This:

Outrageous: 80% (226 votes)
Justified: 19% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem / Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / 3 Covenant University Students Expelled Over Live Sex, Unclad Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by NubianQ(f): 9:24pm On Jun 30, 2008
Pataki:

CU and its publicity tactics. undecided

Christianity is not a religion, and it is a pity CU is not seeing it that way. That school is already turning itself into a glorified fraternity. Do not bring your bible to assembly and you will be expelled!

What an applesauce.

Thumbs up! wink you hit the nail on the head!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2008
Edomondo
u jst dey ear?
1st class in C.Uni na garri in a satchet o
wetin u Grad wit?
Hope u never too old u still fit go back enroll o

Sammy
May God 4giv u o
na u get your mouth o

I dey gbadun this thread o
Make una post wetin dey una mind jo
just b truthful about d details wey una  get\make e no com turn to "blasphemers"
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by iceland(m): 10:12pm On Jun 30, 2008
I think christainity is by choice not by FORCE.The act of forcing the students to comply with the christain life is outrageous.The truth must be told!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Esss(m): 11:21pm On Jun 30, 2008
What is the relationship between education and religion??
Does being a christian make you a better student??
Does carrying a bible around make you a better christian??
Does attendng Convenant Kindagarten make you a better person than a student of a federal or state University??
Why has Convenant University silenced the voice of their students by eliminating any form of student unionism??
How does Convenant University prepare their students to face the versitility of everyday society??
What does Convenant university stand to gain by taking away the important aspects of university education namely; Freedom of choice, freedom of speech, freedom of socialization, freedom of religion and independence.

In my opinion the rules and regulations of convenant university are very counter-productive. Students of such reclusive universities tend to be socially retarded. Look at the veiws of most of the CU students on this thread, all their veiws are centered around two things; 1. No one was forced to attend CU 2. They werent expelled for just not bringing their bibles to assembly (which sound pretty wired for a university). They see nothing wrong with the rules whatsoever. Every year CU graduates Zombies into the society after three - four years of brain-washing and mind-control. I feel really sorry those innocent students who were forced against their will by their parents to attend CU. Its a pity

If you are not mature enough to face the rigours of a normal university, stay at home. Nothing will piss me off worse than having to struggle a job position with a brain-washed retard from CU.

AND whats up with PAPA's ambition of opening an oil company and a bank?? Let me guess, you'll need to bring a bible to withdraw your money, you'll need a big bottle of olive oil to deposit and you'll need to embark on 3months of fasting to get a loan. And heaven knows what ideas they'll come up with for the ATM machine.

EFCC and ICPC please deliver this nation from the claws of christianity O!!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by kaypinchi(m): 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2008
Despite all the hullabaloos on this issue, I am on the side of the unversity.
We are now so lawless in this country that it makes me ssssssssick angry

Yes, I agree that most of the students there may have been "forced" to enrol at the school- sorry university by their parents (due to fear of ASUU & strikes) but they ought to know better.
We need to enthrench discipline in our society. Nowadays, if anyone tries to achieve this, we cry wolf.

A society where citizens openly disregard laws and it's business as usual. For how long can we condone this
Politicians openly and confidently steal & loot the treasury with the fore knowledge that nothing will happen. EFCC or no EFCC- nothing has changed. Over-inflation of contracts by 2000%?? O ga o!

I remember JAMB exams a few years ago where students were caught in a special exam room (arranged by some parents) cheating by Prof. Salim. He attempted to press charges and the same parents threathened to sue JAMB- saying their kids are still minors. Can we beat that.

We need to create scape goats. CU should not be intimidated by anybody. To be forewarned is to be foreharmed.

"A word is enough for the wise" they say.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 12:01am On Jul 01, 2008
Its no longa news that C.Uni doesnt allow mobile fones
before d outright band could u imagine! dey ad a phone room  where people culd go and listen to all your family probs while on phone
u'ld b punished/penalized if
caught using d phone outside d fone room.

Anyway lets applaud them for their new technology
they av this calling card, each student owns one wit individual num
u cant b reached on d card in real time o, bt txt mssgs could b droped on it
when u slot it in2 d machine, u recieve d mssg

i vry much agree wit d post of a nairalander that if u went to any club around the island and ikeja
na so so C.Uni students u go find. So wat r dey inculcating in d students wit their doctrine
there was this lousy, uncultured, arrogant C.Uni girl bak then when i served we gave er MOTOROLA as a nickname
she Smokes, drinks and parties like hell,
evrybdy anybdy culd party bt coming fm a C.Uni background, shouldnt she b moderate at it?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by alex406(m): 12:11am On Jul 01, 2008
This is really outrageous what will happen to their Tuition fees and the rest?is that how they will loose the years they've spent in the school? Its getting out of hand,i think we need some level of Sanitation in our high schools.They are really taking advantage of people.Its Bullshit.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by mylittle: 12:28am On Jul 01, 2008
Abeg the school never heard of the phrase "temper justice with mercy" if God judges us like that who are we to stand?
Please call a spade a spade it is too severe to expel someone just for forgetting to bring along his or her bible.

Maybe there is more to the story than we know. but for training future leader I seriously doubt if covenant can pull it off, Leaders are not marshalled by stringent rules, instead it is developing their mindset that counts, I doubt is covenant prepares anyone to face the outside world.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by kech(f): 12:45am On Jul 01, 2008
Ok people, from what I'm hearing EVERYONE is supposed to attend the "service". Does it mean everyone must go to one service on Sundays? What if you don't worship at Bishop Oyedepo's church, will you be forced? Are moslems allowed into the school? If they are, are they alowed to worship their own way. Does it mean if I, being catholic goes to the school. I'll be forced to go to their service and not mine? Someone in CU should answer me please cos this is scary.

, Please let it be known that this is not an attack on his church or school, I just want to find out if other denominations are allowed to worship in their own way or it has to be his way.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by kosovo(m): 1:17am On Jul 01, 2008
this is complete rubbish, and shows how uncivilized blacks can really be.
what a shame, expulsion for mere issues? thats really unacceptable,,
whats NUC and others reputable bodies doing about it,
afterall, christainity is not a religion but a way of life, or are we going to experience jihad war in christain format exclusively to CU.
oh shit,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 2:12am On Jul 01, 2008
There is a double side to every story; the true side and the false side. The kids probably are repeat offenders or were expelled for some other reasons. . . Or is it really a glorified secondary school like people are suggesting
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Echeozo(m): 6:41am On Jul 01, 2008
?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Echeozo(m): 7:00am On Jul 01, 2008
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by adconline(m): 7:19am On Jul 01, 2008
so universities  are allowed to have discriminatory policies even when they enjoy charitable organisation status in order no to pay taxes. What if the expelled students do not believe in bible? A university that was granted license under NUC guidelines could now become a beehive of religious zealots and fanatics. If muslims had done this, folks here would shout tribalism of jihadism. where is the condemnation? This university delivers power from act/edict of Nigeria establishing NUC, so it cannot act beyond its powers. This university was not granted license by Bible Institute of Nigeria, or Paradise Monger INC. It must follow NUC guidelines period. You are preparing folks for 21st century challenges and the greatest asset you feel that they should have is "bible" that's why other s are going to the moon and we are happy that "power failure" also exists in South. Africa- meaning - thank God we are not the only backward country.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Frizy(m): 8:18am On Jul 01, 2008
Where in the Bible is it said that you must carry your holy book into the church. If that's the basis of their expulsion, then they're justified. If not, Convenant- return the tuition of these people.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by reindeer: 8:21am On Jul 01, 2008
There are actually two sides this coin.
Once you know a rule and you willingly sign their papers you shouldnt complain about their laws, like someone earlier said, they didnt put a gun to anyones head to study in CU.So al those complaining should bite it! Abi na dem say make una fear jamb so much?
I can just imagine such a law in unilag? cheesy
See they should realise they are signing into a religious institution, owned by a church owned by a MAN! if there was such a  law at the muslim university, will it be wrong to say if you dont have a kooran dont come? We all know you cant even visit female hostels in the nothern schools eg BUK owned by the GOVT, so how much more a private school.
abeg let all those complainng register their wards in govt schools or at last Igbinedion dey there wey no be religious school.
on the other hand i think intellectualism demands that you allow freedom of choice which is what i still have against NUC allowing religious bodies own schools in nigeria, we are just not matured(objective) enough for that,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Emperoh(m): 8:56am On Jul 01, 2008
'life is all about rules and choices'
'nobody forced u to Convenant University'
'i can defend my degree'

And all what not, bla bla bla!!!!!

Who is deceiving who?
And what does the University tend to achieve with Strigent rules and regulations as this?
That means no Muslim is even allowed in such a University.
That completely means discrediting what the Secondary school has done. Or what its supposed to do.
That means telling the yound minds that even at a generally accepted age of independence, a supposed 'OLDER' person still regulates my life.
Even as a potential leader of tomorrow, i am not allowed to make my own choices.
I can go on and on, but lets realise that whatever the university is out to achieve with such a regimented and doctored life style for its students
is a MONUMENTAL failure. It has not stopped the decading moral life style in our society today.
It will not engender the required sense of independence in such young minds who ought to begin making and learning how to make choices and decision for themselves.

CU and its likes will not change the terrible way things are being done in our society today.
When you say u are training future leaders with such environment, u are just creating Muppets who will end up being a tool in some one elses hands.

They should desist from this senseless act and operate a normal University Environment
It hasn't stopped the fornicator to do his thing.
It does stop the smoker, drunk, pagan, robber etc to keep his act while at home,

I once sought admission at a 'University' like Convenant, Madonna to be precisely,
and i realised on my getting to the school that i was going back to Secondary school.
There was practically no difference. U are not allowed to go out of the school without permission, u aren't allowed to use handsets,
U have tme for Breakfast, lunchh and dinner, U won't talk to the opposite sex at some time. (U only talk to them during classes or at public places)

But do you know the worst, as at the time this was happening, (2003), most of the students bathed outside shocked
I don't know if it has changed ooh. But this somewhat smacks of Hipocrisy.
Thank God that my Secondary School taught me to reject what doesn't bode well with my mental and psychological development.

Let these so called religious school opereate within the ambits of a University setting and help build and engender Confidence, courage and self discipline in their wards. Anything aside this is surely going to be a disaster. we will not know until later on in life. they may have ended up training and graduating babies doctors, lawyers, engrs, accountants etc.

Even the military cantonments cannot be regulated like this.

Better still, CONVEVANT MONASTRY will sound a better nomenclature.

Dissenting voices are always welcome.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by dapsycool(m): 8:59am On Jul 01, 2008
If the story is real, then i'm begining to suspect Mr oyedepo, because even Jesus never segmented people like him, first it was Hiv and pregnancy. Are you sure this man is not one of the anti(you know the rest)
I think the school officials need to be kidnapped, get them naked and given nothing less than 5000 strokes holding a bible, if the bible falls, we count from one again. Hahahaha
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 9:49am On Jul 01, 2008
Typical Nigerian mentality.

Ask Seun if they bought his brothers 1st class degree.

It should be apparent by now that the Story isnt True

And i am tired of seeing all this Word Vomit.

Anyways, I may not like my school

but i really hate to see people lying for nothing.

So im gona leave you
Liars to your lies,
Decievers to your deceit
beefdogs to your beefs
fools to your foolishness.

If you have any Questions or comments or would like to know the real story
Contact me!

I sign out of this thread forever.
Segun thanks for posting this topic.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Kajiang02(m): 10:07am On Jul 01, 2008
do dey realy undastand or hve Student's Union there,
do they even teach preach Unionism there,
i wonder hw tins r bin don dere,
Advance Grammar School, GLORIFIED ONE
Oyedepo is jst too learned to allow stufs lik this.
Frizy:

Where in the Bible is it said that you must carry your holy book into the church. If that's the basis of their expulsion, then they're justified. If not, Convenant- return the tuition of these people.
i concor moi frend,
tins realy need to b don,
kosovo:

this is complete rubbish, and shows how uncivilized blacks can really be.
what a shame, expulsion for mere issues? thats really unacceptable,,
whats NUC and others reputable bodies doing about it,
afterall, christainity is not a religion but a way of life, or are we going to experience jihad war in christain format exclusively to CU.
oh shit,

Realy shit indeed, me think NUC realy hve 2com in2 this,
even in a monastery, monks r nt going to b expelled for such acts,
if you're bin expeld 4nt carryin a Bible, what if you're
caught [s]fockn, n[/s] cld b death by firing squad
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by thehomer: 10:38am On Jul 01, 2008
Now this is a sad development in a university. What are universities for? How can a "crime" like not carrying your bible around be ranked with a crime like exam malpractise and above fighting in school?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by ademiller(f): 10:42am On Jul 01, 2008
like my people before me said "it is a glorified nursery/secondary university"my popsy almost sent my kid brother there but thank the Lord, No weapon fashioned against us shall prosper, the boy go just stupid for nothing undecided
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by PrinceTolu(m): 10:56am On Jul 01, 2008
Well,
For such a school, I wonder why you would treat a group of adults like a bunch of babies. But, going there is by choice, which means one's agreed to abide by the rules and regs. So if you do otherwise and there's a consequence, it is also by choice.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by nyabinghi(m): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2008
Covenant University is like a barrack. Didn't Jesus tell us to forgive our enemies 70x7 times. Covenant students think like zombies(no disrespect).lets wait and see.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by youngies(m): 11:06am On Jul 01, 2008
There is actually no need for Mr. Oyedepo to change from being a pastor to a 419er. Mr. Oyedepo and his likes like Mr. Edeh of Madonna are scam artists. Why should they continue to hoodwink the unsuspecting public?

If they are interested in setting up seminaries, convents, monastries or bible schools, they are free to do so. But to setup a quasi-seminary and call it a University is outright deceit.

For those are arguing the laws must be obeyed, they should understand that any law that is inconsistent with superior law remains invalid to the extent of its inconsistency.

So in effect, if the laws in CU is not in tandem with the laws of NUC which sets up CU, the laws of CU remains invalid.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vicade(m): 11:32am On Jul 01, 2008
He without sin cast the first stone. Is not bringing a bible to assembly a sin? and even if it is a sin, is it right for a christian institution like covenant to expel them or give them delverance or something?

I am no judge but i dont think JESUS would have expelled them. He probably would have prayed for them.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Akolawole(m): 11:45am On Jul 01, 2008
I don't believe the story most especially when the link is from Orji Kalu's Newspaper.

There will be more to that.

If "forgetting the Bible" is their sin then i don't think the punishment would be more than Suspension DEFINITELY Not Expulsion.

Seun can mail the school on our behalf to know what actually happened.

We have to becareful of what we say about annointed men of God though.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Geezle(m): 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2008
Even if the rest of the world calls the private schools, higher schools or advanced schools, I believe those names give credence to the fact that they are actually Higher than the old-school compounds called universities, (no offense intended)

The real fact is that even though the school is a private one, the need to instil human rights and its likes should be advocated for now. We are tired of the fact that because a school is labelled 'private', its owners should go about (in the dark) doing what they like. For crying out loud, most of these schools (including my alma mater) are  founded by Christian Fore runners and as such should live as Jesus / His Disciples / Apostles lived, not as the Heretics and the masters of the old - Herod and Pharoah.

I do not believe the story but I dont doubt the possibility either. My opinion is clear: if our jobless Lawyers, like Gani and senators like Iyabo and parents will devout their time to understand that there is no place like home, then Nigeria will be a better place, let us learn to love each other, poor or rich, treat each other like human beings not the other species, MONEY DOESNT FALL FROM TREES
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Blackcat(f): 12:02pm On Jul 01, 2008
If God were to expel people from the face of the earth without giving them an opportunity to repent, I wonder who would still be living on this earth.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by DesmondO1: 12:12pm On Jul 01, 2008
Why are Nigerians so hypocritical? Instead of sueing UBA and co for unnecessary withdrawals from our accounts we accuse an innnocent institution and itz authority for expelling the students.

The gig is that they know the rules and regulations that govern the school and like the bible says,he that breaks the hedge,the serpent will bite. If Jesus was around,he would have also whipped them cos i cant imagine-if they had lectures,will they go to the lecture room and stare at the lectures?obviously NO!

They should get on with life. The school is a private school not a government school where your opinions matter. So if anyone aint ok with it,then go start your own.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by furtune: 12:21pm On Jul 01, 2008
wonder shall never end for dis 9ja. if students should be expelled for not carrying dem bible wakka, what if they were caught carrying guns or hemps,
huun! na to eliminate them. any way sha make the school management try and manage to refund their tuition fees as they could manage to expel them.
abi them tuition fees na non refundable like visa fee?? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by khufu: 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2008
any one who goes to these private universities should not complain about anything that befalls them there. afterall there are better public schools all over Nigeria. that is the cost they have to pay for not wanting to read and pass JAMB for admission to public universities. let them save their cries. shio.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Priscilla Paul-Worika Beats UNIPORT Pharmacy Record, Sets New One, Gets 8 Awards / Why Do Most Brilliant Guys/Ladies Use Glasses? / Uniport Appoints Prof. Georgewill Owunari New Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.