Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,058 members, 7,912,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 05:12 PM

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala (44880 Views)

Ignore ASUU’s Demands, NASU, NAAT, SSANU Tell FG / ASUU Strike Latest News: ASUU Demands N1.5tr To End Strike / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by femiero: 10:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
lanrexdo:

Do you think their salary is the main problem..No.. The FG just want to make it look like they are fighting for their pocket.. they are fighting for university. they want their works to be recognized world wide, but how would they do that when there is no facility... university is not just for b.sc.. it is goes way beyond just an ordinary first degree.. there is no end to it.. Research worldwide are been conducted in universities.. how would that happen if there is no facilities and yet there own kids are in private schools or they study abroad.

What infrastructure is needed to earn a Ph.D degree in a Nigerian university? Didn't these same institutions graduated students last year? Has the facilities used suddenly disappeared this year? ASUU members are greedy snakes. They don't see students as their products. Visit car parks in these schs especially federal schs and you will think its an automart yet these lazyy buffoons want more money? Na wa oo

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by trolling(m): 10:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
when would this people realize that you guys have been indoctrinated, your lives has been planned by the powers that be....get a primary,secondary,tertiary education,marry, buy a house a car, have kids and then repeat the cycle with your kids then you die,is that what life is really all about, let me give you guys the heads up,when this SHTF your degrees wont profit you,take Greece,Spain,France,Portugal even the States...Woe to them that trust in ''chariots" and "horses", you and your high horses would be humbled.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Greatken007(m): 10:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
THE SO CALLED LECTUERES COME TO CLASS TWICE IN A SEMESTER,SELL HANDOUT AND SET EXAMS QUESTIONS...AND THEY WANT ADDITIONAL MONEY,

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
mctolspell:

That is why there should be a change of policy... They should fend for themselves...ASUU should be scrapped and if any school is lagging behind, you can always hold the Management team/ VC or whatever responsible... The Govt. can't fund our schools well...To avoid corruption let them be autonomous
yes.. they should be! but with the type of greedy lecturers we have now, they would certainly make universities out of the reach of the common man cuz tuition fees would be increased by almost 1000% except the government puts in mechanisms to check their lapses/corrupt tendencies
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by blink6(m): 10:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
Greatken007: THE SO CALLED LECTUERES COME TO CLASS TWICE IN A SEMESTER,SELL HANDOUT AND SET EXAMS QUESTIONS...AND THEY WANT ADDITIONAL MONEY,
your skool's situation is fair. ask about ansu... Lecturers make sorting(paying to pass) as open as possible, that even the V.C is aware. They got fixed prices now... And they still want a raise from the Government.
God go help Us
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by howfarwhatagwan: 10:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
Mrs Okonjo-Iweala why don't you start by giving up the unnecessary allowances and expenses you and your colleagues are enjoying. Lets not even talk about the senate and house of reps. you guys need to make sacrifices you cannot expect the lecturers to continue to compromise and make sacrifices. Let us assume that ASUU's demands are unreasonable truth is they are probably making these requests because on a daily basis they can see the wastages in government.

Nigerians how long are we going to remain in this hopeless situation. I pray that God will give us the courage to fight one of these days. Greed and hunger have made us slaves for too long. If we do not make the sacrifices now then our children are doomed and will remain enslaved.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by otokx(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
The matter now is serious.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Alexgeneration(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
Shey una see wetin dey happen to our universities later now jonathan go dey vex say him no be kindagarten president.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by slimfit1(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
The senators have used all the money to buy cars for their girl friends who are supposed to be in school and university yerima one is safe for now she is till in nursery or primary.

The girls are not worried for now. They are spending time with sugar daddies while the boys are sleeping still. Well I've finished uni so let everyone that wants proper education go and fight for himself shekena.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by texazzpete(m): 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Abeg let the strike continue. The quality of submissions here from so-called students fills me with dismay. No sense in releasing this half-baked lot to the streets early.

Listening to these clowns, one would think

1. All lecturers drive around exotic cars
2. All lecturers sleep with their students
3. All lecturers sell handouts.

Instead of joining forces with your lecturers to fight to move away from the archaic infrastructure in your schools and to support reasonable wage increases that will attract bright, young talent to the University, you're busy spreading FUD.

Ex-millitants are being given N80bn without an eyelid being batted and the Govt is whining about 100bn for improving the varsities and lecturer staff welfare.

12 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by BlessedFellow: 11:00pm On Aug 13, 2013
It is sardonic to hear FG can't meet ASUU's demand.

From the comments so far, it is lucid many people do not know ASUU's demand 'abinitio'. It includes allowances, infrastructure, budgetary allocation to education(primary, secondary and tertiary) etc.

It might interest you to know that budgetary allocation to education in Ghana this year is about 33% about 7% higher than UN's recommendation. In our dearly beloved Nigeria, budgetary allocation to education was reduced from about 9% last year to about 8% this year while recurrent expenditure has increased to 77.2% this year.

It might interest you to know that ASUP will resume indefinite strike after next week because our government have not done 'a single thing in their agreement'.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by waistaa(f): 11:01pm On Aug 13, 2013
plz plz and plz this is crap.its easy for the so called F.G to loot trillions but difficult to endorse billions.okonjo it wont be beta 4 u all coz the values placed on lecturers n teacherz iz lost.we sound like they dnt have families to tke care of.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by NZAN(m): 11:01pm On Aug 13, 2013
Cherish20: I thought i read something about FG releasing 90bn already in order to meet ASUU demand. What all these stories again? Me don tire 4 house o! I don dey even forget d names of my lecturers and coursemates

Same here, i just add my matric no as a contact to prevent lossing it.

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
bennyraz: yes.. they should be! but with the type of greedy lecturers we have now, they would certainly make universities out of the reach of the common man cuz tuition fees would be increased by almost 1000% except the government puts in mechanisms to check their lapses/corrupt tendencies

Don't forget it will be a competitive market, as student will only go to the best schools, easy transfer of grades will be attainable,More investors for the good structured schools, university wants more student so as to keep finances intact, Good Profs. coming in and every body will smile home with the Govt. providing a strict regulations for those schools. Don't forget the nationwide scholarship program for the good students will still available. I can only dream sad

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by ayeni234(m): 11:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
#confusion

Please let's take it to them. They are all on twitter, if they don't want to talk they will by force. Its time for constructive and diplomatic confrontation.
Who is deceiving who? A barrel of crude goes for $105.27 as at 12-8-2013 according to OPEC, can they just state what d benchmark price for the 2013 budget is. The excess fund to what is it being used? If we don't demand explanation now these people are ready to feast on our future.
This is our life, we have to fight for the liberation.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Temptee101(m): 11:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
Cherish20: I thought i read something about FG releasing 90bn already in order to meet ASUU demand. What all these stories again? Me don tire 4 house o! I don dey even forget d names of my lecturers and coursemates
My sista! I advice u go marry nw nd raise ur kidz cus i dnt see dis fg/ASUU tin endin anytym soon
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by kb83(m): 11:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
Cleaely ASU re playin politics with d future of nigerian youths,if not why demand 1.74 thrilion naira 4rm d feds,d 40yrs underdevelopment of Nigeria universities cant b fixed overnight i believe d no dat,i believe d re fightin a personal political battle wit d feds against 2015 let dem continue God most high is watchin.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Rastamann: 11:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
Lobatan! Strike Continues Victoria not-Accerta!
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by otokx(m): 11:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
Its clear government is the one that has become a stumbling block in the negotiations. They say one thing this week and another thing the next while ASUU is looking.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by slimfit1(m): 11:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
no body should blame Jonathan please. Blame the students period, they are very doom. Nigerian students should wait and stay at home the rest of the world will be waiting for you all. All what they think about is fashion and shayo no good reasoning. Work no work school no school thinking 0%

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by ProfessorPP(m): 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2013
The answer is (c). grin
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Leemak: 11:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
I think dt just for figure-head Vice President Sambo said @ one occassion dt FG is about to make d payment for ASUU claimed allowances?......bunch of deceivers!!!
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Solowande(m): 11:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
Story. when d part 2 go com out
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
ASUU should understand plz. From all the school fees universities collect from students, only 10% goes to FG purse. Assu plz reason well with FG to resolve this issue on ground.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by enigmagu1(m): 11:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
bigtt76: ...But the FG can effectively and adequately meet the demands of the thieving senators and politicians abi? God is watching ooo!
bigtt76: ...But the FG can effectively and adequately meet the demands of the thieving senators and politicians abi? God is watching ooo!

pls ways meanin of tt in ur name...it sounds....
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by omotayokay: 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
Wat will be the gain of a man that gains the whole world but loses his soul?? Nigeria rulers, how far? I believe one day, the seekers of a better Nigeria will rise against you all with stones, clubs, sticks and chase you all out of the government houses! Till then, enjoy you stay while it lasts!

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by vcvibes(m): 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
kingviny: F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.

5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES. IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.
I luv dis write up, dis shud go to every newspaper in nigeria, if there wud be any form of improvement in our education system, dis is wat we need, not sum dumb lectures n lecturers. Daz all

3 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by kilmix: 11:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
Meanwhile, am in a BAR celebrating my post that made it to FRONTPAGE today.

https://www.nairaland.com/1395120/fg-holds-crucial-talks-ASUU
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by sweetkevisco(m): 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
Are you a talented artiste,and you need a
sponsor or record label to finance your career
but you dont know how to contact them. Dont
worry we will send your songs,and bio to
personal emails of stakeholders in the music
industry,and with God on your side,who knows?. Register by sending your songs,artiste
name and bio to musicpromoter9ja@mail.com. If
your song is good enough,you will get a
response from us. Good luck
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by saintkash(m): 11:27pm On Aug 13, 2013
nirmy: Hopes of quick resolution of the present face-off between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities were dashed on Tuesday as the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said the government has no resources to meet the union demands.

Foreclosing possible truce to the five-week old industrial action that has paralysed academic activities in the nation’s ivory towers, Okonjo-Iwela said the striking university lecturers were asking for #92 billion in extra allowances, maintaining that government lack means of picking the bill.
Speaking in Minna at the annual National Council on Finance and Economic Development meeting, the minister said that ASUU demand was coming at a time government was making efforts at reducing the structure of public expenditures.
The theme of the meeting is: “Restructuring Nigeria’s Finances.”
She said, “At present ASUU wants the government to pay N92 billion in extra allowances when resources are not there and when we are working to integrate past increases in pensions. We need to make choices in this country as we are getting to the stage where recurrent expenditures take the bulk of our resources and people get paid but can do no work.”
She declared that if the demands of the university lecturers are met and “we continue to pay them salaries and allowances we will not be able to provide infrastructure in the universities.”
The minister argued that when she assumed office “the share of recurrent expenditure in our total budgets had increased astronomically. “
“In fact recurrent expenditures accounted for about 77.2 per cent of the federal budget and we are now working to re-balance this ratio,” the minister added.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/fg-to-ASUU-we-cant-meet-your-demands/

madam Ngozi make u comot mouth 4 dis matter oo, cos d one wey we say make u do, u no even do am well(subsidy) and now u dey talk abt ASUU
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by personal59: 11:27pm On Aug 13, 2013
God we std no get option pass u o pls help us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / FG Reaches Agreement With ASUU, Releases N15.4bn / Blackout: OAU Students Reading Outside (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.