Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,056 members, 7,912,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 05:04 PM

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala (44879 Views)

Ignore ASUU’s Demands, NASU, NAAT, SSANU Tell FG / ASUU Strike Latest News: ASUU Demands N1.5tr To End Strike / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by thoth: 8:17am On Aug 14, 2013
They have all gotten what they wanted, the ASUU guys might think they are well led and somebody advising them really cares for them, the IMF/WORLD BANK Demon is playing her part well.

instigate strikes and discontent, place a wedge in the solution to create a deadlock. We have seen it being used in many South American and African countries. We have witness it in the Balkans and we knew the expected outcome. It is an old trick which sadly still works because people refuse to learn from past mistakes.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by nafiachi(m): 8:20am On Aug 14, 2013
Just hope madam is not trying to paint ASUU in a bad picture, 92billion for allowances doesn't make sense, I once heard a member of ASUU justifying why they have decided it is now or never because the govt enjoys meeting only their personal demands but ignores other demands so as to paint ASUU in a bad light.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 14, 2013
kingviny: F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.

5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES. IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.

In addition
8. Lectures(professors and Doctors especially) should every ensure that they conduct research and publish in a reputable journal
9. A system to checkmate Plagiarism should be set up with immediate alacrity.
10. Copy and paste with Plagiarist text books should be banned.
11. Text books should contain and reflect current happenings and must be reviewed at least every 2 years.

3 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Izontubo(m): 8:23am On Aug 14, 2013
The whole country is just a joke.....

AASU and the F.G are all bunch of nit wits that needs to be cursed.....

Sometimes I wonder when 9ja would move past this stage.....
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by RozayGambino: 8:23am On Aug 14, 2013
The students are not doing enough yet. just folding our arms and waiting for news like dis evriday is a shame and its part of d reason y d min. of edu. dont think they shud try hada.
students in lagos and abuja, if they had held sit-ins atleast two wiks into dis strike by nw wed b bak in our classrooms.
Our student bodies do nothing but look for ways to embezzle moni. tyms lyk dis, dey shud b workin. they cud also hold negotiations bw dem nd ASUU or dem nd FG.
Seems this fellows wu we elected into ofis, wu cant construct gud sentences cant do dia jobs.

I propose a mass protest of university students b organized -not doz 50student things we c on tv-
It cud b orchestrated by an ICT savvy student on social netwrk platforms to get d students out on d streets. fix venues and time for protest and get dis guys to com up wwit somtin.

Its time to take a really bold step, i no we hv computer sc students on dis forum. som1 stat somtin.

2geda wed acheive a lot mor dan waitin for news threads like dis evri monin.

Solidarity in our Unity
my fellow Nigerian Students.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Izontubo(m): 8:26am On Aug 14, 2013
Witty07:

In addition
8. Lectures(professors and Doctors especially) should every ensure that they conduct research and publish in a reputable journal
11. Text books should contain and reflect current happenings and must be reviewed at least every 2 years.

You're correct.....our lecturers remain stagnant while they want the F.G to be in motion solving all there problems.....

These lecturers who are at the fore front demanding this and that are the same lecturers who send there kids abroad to school while they fail the hell out of us here in nigeria......

I just don't know what to think of this useless country.....

angry....

The F.G too is useless that is why all this mayhem and foolishness is on display....
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by goldng: 8:27am On Aug 14, 2013
This is really worrisome... angry
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by legendsilver(m): 8:31am On Aug 14, 2013
Quietly watching (-o-o-)
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Izontubo(m): 8:32am On Aug 14, 2013
And where is that good for nothing BODY called NANS when you need them......

Maybe if this AASU strike was in conjunction with the whole ameachi fracas they would have reared there goatlike head....

angry.....
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Osadhody(m): 8:33am On Aug 14, 2013
Why are they making us to suffer when they know wat 2 do,do u want 2 tell me FG did nt av 2 92billion naira in thr account,dats nt possible. Had it bin thr children are skulling in nigeria they wuld av pay d moni bt thr children are nt in dis country so dy r treatn we studnt badly
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Soso990240(m): 8:39am On Aug 14, 2013
Vicconero: If Okonjo wants 2 restructure let her state 4rm her own salary......pay d lecturers their money n let"s go back 2 skul....abi she think say d awoko 2 become lecturer 4 naija easy.......
e no easy to be lecturer in naija?! Are u ok? Lecturer de serious pass student?
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by touch4mony: 8:40am On Aug 14, 2013
Oni John: The F.G cant meet the demands of ASUU again? i taught we heard the 'so-called' Minister of Education saying the FG is ready to release 100bn to settle ASUU, so why is this coming at this time and why didnt the ceremonial Education Minister mention this all thd while, its so clear the govt is at it again,trying to cajole us, i said it our govt wont take things serious until they are threatened, must we take to the streets again?
100billion is not the problem here Ur ASUU is dem
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Izontubo(m): 8:41am On Aug 14, 2013
benlay: It's funny......... we want changes in Nigeria and we still want to do things the same way. Recurrent expenditure at 77% that is sick, why do we have 109 senators? Nigeria is a third world country but we want to live like one of the biggest economies in the world. 109 senators should be reduced by 36, one from each state.
We can continue to shrink government burdens gradually, the senators are among the wealthiest Nigerians anyway, why are we wasting money on them, how can gov't meet other needs when there is too much burden.

They should just kill the senators....they are useless....all of them....angry.....
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by victor260(m): 8:41am On Aug 14, 2013
Osgilliat: Restructuring finances my ass..while your entire family graduated from harvard. A bill should be passed to restrict all this politician children from schooling abroad and home base private universities, I bet they will not only throw chairs at such person but also kill him. Bunch of b.i.t.c.h.e.s. spit on thread and walk away.
Calm dowm brozz
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Soso990240(m): 8:45am On Aug 14, 2013
Osadhody: Why are they making us to suffer when they know wat 2 do,do u want 2 tell me FG did nt av 2 92billion naira in thr account,dats nt possible. Had it bin thr children are skulling in nigeria they wuld av pay d moni bt thr children are nt in dis country so dy r treatn we studnt badly
hello...62billion and 62million no be d same.moreover,i dont blame Jonathan ,obasanjo made d agreement with ASUU and abandoned it.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by femikay149(m): 8:46am On Aug 14, 2013
92bn that is nothing compared to National Assembly budget...Do u know that the allocation of National Assembly triples the allocation 2 education...
Okonjo Iweala should pls cut the salary of the national assembly and excess allowances of ministers,special advisers,estacodes...and be4 her I 4get her own allowances cos we know the govt pays her in dollars
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 14, 2013
acidosis™:
God
bless you Madam Ikonjo Iweala..

ASUU can stay in their village for as long as they want..

Even the ones they graduated with hand-outs and copy and paste materials
are yet to get N30,000 job..

If I were in her shoe, I'd do the same!
And that won't stop me from sending my children to harvard..

The V.C of my alma mata has more than 10 exotic cars.. I've never seen
him ride a car twice. (#fact)
All his children schooled abroad also..

The V.C of KSU embezzled N200million recently..
Now I don't know the difference between a fraudulent politician and a
vice chancelor..

I know many lecturers who can not open Microsoft Word on a PC in this
century..
Yet they want to impact knowledge to the leaders of tomorrow..

You can imagine lecturers who cannot operate a pentium 2 computer, while
their counterparts in Korea are already building a solar panel asphalt
made road that charges electric cars on motion..

I expect all lecturers to use this opportunity to re brand and upgrade
themselves in areas where they're lagging...

As for the students.. they know what to do..

Dear Mr. Advicer, what shld the students do in case they dont know?
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by EbirichBen(m): 8:48am On Aug 14, 2013
Do FG also Fund State Universities? What are State Universities doing. Bleep d Hell
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by gregg2: 8:49am On Aug 14, 2013
These ASUU guys greedy. Simple
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by brosun(m): 8:52am On Aug 14, 2013
back2sender: This is the same attitude of FG in the various sector of the economy, crisis all tru from health, labour, power, roads, housing, transportation, oil & gas, security etc,
SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by bymigokeph: 8:55am On Aug 14, 2013
Oni John: The F.G cant meet the demands of ASUU again? i taught we heard the 'so-called' Minister of Education saying the FG is ready to release 100bn to settle ASUU, so why is this coming at this time and why didnt the ceremonial Education Minister mention this all thd while, its so clear the govt is at it again,trying to cajole us, i said it our govt wont take things serious until they are threatened, must we take to the streets again?

am a student too but ASUU's demands are way too much. if I were d one managing naija's economy, I won't pay those their extra alawy. its 2 much, am ready 2 sacrifice 4 dis 2 b setled one nd for all. if u read d passage it said 92bn extra
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by icepoint(m): 9:08am On Aug 14, 2013
the president is at the top of the situation! he can't see the bottom of it.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 14, 2013
Military regime is d soln 2 dis wahala
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by danieee(m): 9:09am On Aug 14, 2013
I remember a time in this country when it was said that about 25% of the national budget goes to the less than 500 nigerians, who make up the house of reps and house of assembly. I wonder what percentage goes to education.

ASUU claims most of the demands they are making are demands that had already been approved by the Federal government but had not yet been implemented, hence the reason for the strike.

Now, I do not see how a country can pay senators, and honourable members, several millions of naira monthly, for sitting in a chamber and passing bills (bills like child marriage etc), whereas the teachers of our future leaders, are treated like peanuts, with horrible infrastructure.

Must there be Strike before the government does something? If a government really wants to improve the state of its economy, it would surely know that EDUCATION, is one of the key points to act on.

Most of us attend federal universities and are complaining. What about the state universities who will not even benefit from whatever increment in salary is agreed on, but are only part of the strike in the name of SOLIDARITY?

The FG of Nigeria is not ready to sit up and move this country. Lawmakers are only interested in increasing allowances and terms for themselves, so that they could steal as much money as they can.

We can only but PRAY for Nigeria, as all this talk would only be read by us (nairalanders). Most would never even get to their ears, much less talk of their hearts.

God help Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 14, 2013
kingviny: F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES. IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.
about 60% of all the lecturers in Nigeria will resign. Cos, most of them are even worst compared to the students. They are people that needed to be taught also.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Heffalump(m): 9:16am On Aug 14, 2013
Iaz93: It just got worse! I just hate FG and every fu cking person contributing to this shi.itt! God punish this womans mouth!

Your mouth will perish in hell with your soul for your very poor articulation and bad understanding. How many university lecturers in other African universities (not US, Canada, & UK)are hand-twisting the arms of their Government like the ASUU of Nigeria? Am not against the demands for their welfare, but what has been the impact on the standard of education as a result of previous settlements? Things have gone from bad to worst! The truth of the matter is that these lecturers are actually seeking to fill their pockets and not the interest of our educational system. You can't give what you don't have! Many of ASUU members are below average. Period.
I keep mentioning it, our universities and tertiary education will do well without ASUU, ASUP, & SSANU.....name them. They have crippled and murdered tertiary education in Nigeria and it's better we proceed without them.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Heffalump(m): 9:16am On Aug 14, 2013
Iaz93: It just got worse! I just hate FG and every fu cking person contributing to this shi.itt! God punish this womans mouth!

Your mouth will perish in hell with your soul for your very poor articulation and bad understanding. How many university lecturers in other African universities (not US, Canada, & UK)are hand-twisting the arms of their Government like the ASUU of Nigeria? Am not against the demands for their welfare, but what has been the impact on the standard of education as a result of previous settlements? Things have gone from bad to worst! The truth of the matter is that these lecturers are actually seeking to fill their pockets and not the interest of our educational system. You can't give what you don't have! Many of ASUU members are below average. Period.
I keep mentioning it, our universities and tertiary education will do well without ASUU, ASUP, & SSANU.....name them. They have crippled and murdered tertiary education in Nigeria and it's better we proceed without them.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Heffalump(m): 9:17am On Aug 14, 2013

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by otokx(m): 9:17am On Aug 14, 2013
A lot of people do not understand ASUU demand so its easy to get swayed by government rhetorics.

One of the points is that Federal Government should expand facilities in Nigerian universities so as to cater for the students. A class meant for 50 should not have 200 inside; if government does not want then it should restrict inflow to just 50. Government does not want to do that but is now trying to pay an inconvenience allowance for the extra 150. ASUU says NO that inconvenience allowance if paid should be for say 12 - 15 months pending when the infrastructures are upgraded but government has no plan to upgrade such and is pushing for them to receive the money.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by mekaboy(m): 9:23am On Aug 14, 2013
Osgilliat: Restructuring finances my ass..while your entire family graduated from harvard. A bill should be passed to restrict all this politician children from schooling abroad and home base private universities, I bet they will not only throw chairs at such person but also kill him. Bunch of b.i.t.c.h.e.s. spit on thread and walk away.

Are you the one that paid their fees? Or is Nigerian Govt the only place she has worked? Are u jealous because u can't afford to study in harvard?

Were you born when the same woman helped cancel Nigerias debt?
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 14, 2013

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

In addition
8. Lecturers(professors and Doctors especially) should ensure that they conduct research and publish it in a reputable journal
12. Students should not be more than 50 in a class.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / FG Reaches Agreement With ASUU, Releases N15.4bn / Blackout: OAU Students Reading Outside (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.