Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,771 members, 7,965,904 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 02:15 AM

Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary (21547 Views)

APPARITION: The Blessed Mother Of God Appeared In Kaduna Today! / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary / What Is Assumption Of Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2013
spongebuny:

PLS I BEGGGGG U TO SCHOOL ME....BRING IT ON...I AM WAITING, PLS DONT FAIL ME....AND I YOU DONT TEACH ME ON D CHURCH HISTORY THEN I WILL KNOW U R JUST BLUFFING!!!

I AM WAITING!!!!

[b]You need to know your History and draw inferences from them. Martin Luther took out books from the Apocrypha because there was no claim to them being divinely inspired. Let me give you some facts below:

The Roman Catholic Church did not officially canonize the Apocrypha until the Council of Trent (1546 AD).

This was in part because the Apocrypha contained material which supported certain Catholic doctrines, such as purgatory, praying for the dead, and the treasury of merit.

Not one of them is in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament.

Not one of the writers lays any claim to inspiration.
These books were never acknowledged as sacred Scriptures by the Jewish Church, and therefore were never sanctioned by our Lord.

They were not allowed a place among the sacred books, during the first four centuries of the Christian Church.

They contain fabulous statements, and statements which contradict not only the canonical Scriptures, but themselves; as when, in the two Books of Maccabees, Antiochus Epiphanes is made to die three different deaths in as many different places.

The Apocrypha inculcates doctrines at variance with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.

This is a test case example

And the day following Judas came with his company, to take away the bodies of them that were slain, and to bury them with their kinsmen, in the sepulchers of their fathers. And they found under the coats of the slain some of the donaries of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbiddeth to the Jews: so that all plainly saw, that for this cause they were slain. Then they all blessed the just judgment of the Lord, who had discovered the things that were hidden. And so betaking themselves to prayers, they besought him, that the sin which had been committed might be forgotten. But the most valiant Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves from sin, forasmuch as they saw before their eyes what had happened, because of the sins of those that were slain. And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachmas of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins. (2 Maccabees 12:39-46)

I will give you more instances if you desire more knowledge [/b]

[size=15pt]Definition of a Roman Catholic:[/size]

Someone who believes:

The present roman catholic church organization in Rome is Christ's one true church established in 30 A.D.
The pope is a god-appointed head of the church on the earth.
The teachings and decrees of the pope as equal to the bible in authority.
The Catholic church as the infallible interpreter of scripture.
That tradition is equal to the bible in authority.

All HERESY
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Catholic Names? Na wa for this people sha. So the catholic church gave names to everyone in the bible? Jesus declared that he is the Lord of the Sabbath so this annuls your presumption that you can choose what day is the sabbath. A true believer knows that the sabbath is every day of the week as the worship of God isnt limited to a single day. Ignorance personified is what you are.

LORD HAVE MERCY!!! SO SABBATH IS EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! LMAO!!! I CANT STOP LAUGHING....NOW I KNOW UR IQ LEVEL...
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by BigBabyJesus: 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
God hates gays and since all catholic priests are gays, God hates Catholics. It then can be said that all Catholics are gays that's why GOD HATES gays!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: It is not in the bible , yet u guys make the sign of the cross before praying,eating or entering in the church, you guys hate catholics so much yet you still celebrate our Christmas, u hate us but use our bible, use our songs .smh .funny people

Bros, pls enlighten me more.

What is Christmas?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 15, 2013
spongebuny:

LORD HAVE MERCY!!! SO SABBATH IS EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! LMAO!!! I CANT STOP LAUGHING....NOW I KNOW UR IQ LEVEL...

This shows you lack christ. A true believer has entered into Gods rest already. We serve and worship God in season and out of season and never on a special day. The old testament has always been a shadow of things to come and now we are in the new testament and yes the sabbath is under the authority of Christ and not the other way round so if i have the same authority of Christ then the sabbath is also under my authority hence my sabbath is a daily walk with God and not how you think. Seek Jesus and none else.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
spongebuny:

CATHOLIC BELIEFS AGAINST NEW TESTAMENT CHRISTIANITY

Catholic Faith

The church defines the Bible

Church Organization supreme over the Bible

Only Popes, bishops and priests can correctly interpret the Bible

The Supreme doctrinal authority of Catholics is the Pope!

New Testament Christianity

The Bible defines the church

The Bible supreme over the church

Anyone can understand the Bible, As
the Holy Spirit gives understanding

The Supreme doctrinal authority of
Christians is Jesus Christ through
the Bible only!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Do you even know what the bible is? The bible IS the WORD of GOD. I guess the catholic church was mentioned in genesis and were with adam and eve in the garden of eden. Perhaps they crossed the desert and the red sea with moses and the israelites or perhaps they were standing side by side with david when he defeated Goliath. Its obvious you have no idea what you are talking about and are part of the spoonfed catholic multitude who are on their way to hell and damnation

May God prolong your days.

A church by the same Romans that killed Jesus. Constantine see wetin you don cause.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
[b]The Catholic Catechism For Adults on page 52 says, "Can you learn to save your soul just by reading the Bible? No, because certain things in the Bible can be misunderstood, and because the Bible does not have everything God taught." Notice that the first part of their answer to "Can you learn to save your soul just by reading the Bible?" is, "No..." However, their own translations of the Bible teaches the opposite. All Scriptural quotations that I will be giving are from Catholic translations. 2 Tim. 3:15-17 says, "And because from thy infancy thou hast known the holy scriptures, which can instruct thee to salvation, by faith which is Christ Jesus. All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, that the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work." Thus, the apostle Paul by the inspiration of God, says to Timothy "thou hast known the holy scriptures, which can instruct thee to salvation" and make you "perfect, furnished to every good work."

Rom. 1:16 says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel. For it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, to the Jew first, and to the Greek. James 1:21 says, "...With meekness receive the ingrafted word, which is able to save you souls." Consequently, the word contained in the Bible is able to save our souls.[/b]

[b]The last part of the answer given in the Catechism to the question, "Can you learn to save your soul just by reading the Bible?" was "No...because the Bible does not have everything God taught." The Faith of Millions, on pages 153-154 says, "The Bible does not contain all the teaching of the Christian religion, nor does it formulate all the duties of its members." The Scriptures contain everything that is necessary to equip the man of God for every good work (2 Tim. 3:16-17). There is not a solitary good work that the Christian can do which is not provided in the Scriptures. The Scriptural proof they give for the Bible not containing everything God taught, is John 20:30. It says, "Many other signs also did Jesus in the sight of his disciples, which are not written in this book." (See Catechism For Adults, p. 10).

In John 20:30, John simply said that Jesus did many other signs (miracles) which he did record. Notice, though, what John says in the next verse, "...But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name." Thus, the apostle clearly shows that he wrote sufficient things to produce the faith which brings life in the name of Jesus. Life in the name of Jesus refers to eternal life and it is obtained by belief in the things written by the inspired writers.

We freely admit that the Scriptures do not contain everything Jesus did. John said, "There are, however, many other things that Jesus did; but if every one of these would be written, not even the world itself, I think, could hold the books that would have to be written." (John 21:25). Although we do not have everything Jesus did, we do have every necessary thing. We have enough to give us life in His name.[/b]

[b]Catholic officials follow up their claim (that we cannot understand the Bible) by stating that one can get the true meaning only from the Catholic Church. The Catechism For Adults on page 10 says, "How can you get the true meaning of the Bible? You can get it only from God's official interpreter, the Catholic Church." The Catholics have no passages which mention an official interpreter and, thus, they try to support their claim through human logic and reasoning. Anytime men do such, it amounts to nothing more than human philosophy rather than Scriptural proof. The Bible says, "Let God be true, but every man a liar..." (Rom. 3:4). It also warns, "See to it that no one deceives you by philosophy and vain deceit, according to human traditions, according to the elements of the world and not according to Christ." (Col. 2: 8 ).

The doctrine of the "infallible interpreter" implies that God did not make Himself clear. It implies that God gave us a revelation that still needs revealing. Did God fail in His attempt to give man a revelation? Do the Catholic officials want us to believe they can express God's will more clearly than God Himself? We believe that God made the mind of man and is fully capable of addressing man in words which man can understand.[/b]
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
For the Catholics who are reading this, i am only using your own books side by side with the Bible to prove my points
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
On page 54 the Catechism For Adults says, "Does everyone have to obey the Catholic Church? Yes, because she alone has the authority of Jesus to rule and to teach." It is easy to see that Catholics have the authority in the wrong place. The authority is not in the body, but in the Head (Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18). The ruling is not in the kingdom, but in the King (Heb. 7:1-2; Rev. 1:5-6). The authority is not in the church, but in Christ (Matt. 28:18; 1 Pet. 3:22). The church is not the Savior, but simply the body of the saved (Acts 2:47; Eph. 5:22-24).
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
[b]Catholics have recited the “Hail Mary” prayer for many years. It includes the words, “Holy Mary, Mother of God.” These words represent one of the most treasured doctrines of Catholicism. In A.D. 431, the Council of Ephesus proclaimed Mary “to be the mother of God because God the Word took flesh and became man and from his very conception united to himself the temple he took from her” . One of the arguments used extensively to support this doctrine is presented as follows: (1) Mary was the mother of Jesus; (2) Jesus is God; (3) therefore, Mary is the “Mother of God.” This syllogism may seem logical, but the conclusion is superficial. Consider the following.

First, although the Bible documents that Mary became the mother of Jesus and clearly teaches that Jesus is God, it never states, or even implies, that Mary was (or is) the “Mother of God.” For a theological syllogism to explain correctly the relationship between Mary and God, it must be based on biblical truth. We can propose correctly that (1) Jesus is God (Hebrews 1: 8 ) (2) God became flesh (John 1:1,14 ) (3) therefore, Mary is the mother of Jesus according to the flesh (Romans 9: 5 ), i.e., Jesus’ physical body.

Second, we should keep in mind that Deity is not constituted by a literal family—with fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters—like some of the gods of Greek and Roman mythology. Although we refer to the first and second Persons of the Godhead as the Father and the Son, these titles do not denote a literal familial bond, but emphasize Their united and divine nature. To refer to Mary as the “Mother of God” is to misunderstand the nature of Deity and misapply Scripture.

Third, consider the consequences which develop from such an inappropriate use of the syllogism aforementioned. Since the Bible records that Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:18 ), Catholics conclude that it is correct to refer to Mary as “the daughter of God the Father, Mother of Jesus Christ, and true spouse of the Holy Spirit” If the Holy Spirit is Mary’s “husband” (and, therefore, Jesus’ “father”), and Jesus is God, would not the Holy Spirit be the “father” of God? This is not only a completely erroneous application of Scripture, but also blasphemous theology. Now let us consider some additional evidence from the Bible that further explains Mary’s relationship to God.

God does not have a physical mother.

Speaking to the Son, the Father declared, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever” (Hebrews 1: 8 ). In God’s revelation to the apostle John, the resurrected Christ said, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,...who is and who was and who is to come” (Revelation 1: 8 ). The Son did not have a beginning; He is the Beginning. “He was in the beginning with God” (John 1:1- 2 ). Paul pointed out, “He is before all things, and in Him all things consist” (Colossians 1:17).

The Son’s existence did not begin with His conception in Mary’s womb. He was alive in eternity ( Micah 5:2), and, at the right time in history, He became flesh (John 1:1,14). Paul put it this way: “But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law” (Galatians 4:4). On the other hand, Mary came into a time-bound world long after the creation of the Universe. She, like all human beings, was not eternal. She was not divine, not “from everlasting to everlasting” (Micah 5:2). She could not have provided an eternal nature to her Son. He is Deity. He is the “eternally blessed God” (Romans 9:5).

Consider how Jesus explained His divine nature. When addressing the Pharisees, He asked them: “‘What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?’ They said to Him, ‘The son of David.’ He said to them, ‘How then does David in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord’.... If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?’” (Matthew 22:42-45). The Pharisees failed to answer the question correctly because they were thinking about the physical nature of the Messiah. While Christ was a physical descendant of David ( Luke 1:32; Matthew 1:1), according to His divine nature He did not have a physical father, since He Himself is before all (John 8:58 ). In the same way that David could not be the father of the divine Messiah since he called Him “Lord,” Mary cannot be the “Mother of God” since she calls Him “Lord” in Luke 1:38,46-47. The truth is, as Paul explains, “according to the flesh, Christ came” through the patriarchs, David, and, yes, Mary, but according to His deity, He is the “eternally blessed God” who is over all (Romans 9:5 ).

Mary never was considered the “Mother of God.”

There is not a single verse in the Bible that describes Mary as the “Mother of God.” In fact, none of the inspired writers of either the Old or New Testament gave even a hint that she should be regarded as such. This idea is based purely on human tradition. Mary considered herself as a “maidservant of the Lord” (Luke 1:38 ) and considered God as her “Savior” (Luke 1:47). Sadly, many have distorted this concept.

When speaking about the blessing of being chosen by God to be the mother of the Messiah, Mary declared: “For He [God] has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant” (Luke 1:48). Certainly the words “lowly state” would be inappropriate to refer to Mary if she is the “Mother of God.” the Greek word for “lowly state” is tapeinosis, which denotes “abasement, humiliation, or low estate” Mary was conscious of the humble state of her human condition.

Additionally, the New Testament makes it very clear Who became flesh. It was God Who took on the form of a man (John 1:14) and was born of a woman (Galatians 4:4). The woman did not become “divine” in order to conceive the Son of God. The Bible mentions Mary as the mother of Jesus, but never as the “Mother of God” (Mark 3:31; Luke 8:19; Acts 1:14).[/b]
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 15, 2013
DWELL ON THE TRUTH!! THE SAME CATHOLIC CHURCH FED YOU LIES WHEN OUT OF NOWHERE THEY CAME UP WITH THE ASSUMPTION OF MARY, IMPLYING THAT MARY DID NOT DIE BUT WAS TAKEN UP INTO HEAVEN. I FEEL IT IS ONLY FITTING FOR ME TO ASK IF ANY CATHOLIC HERE CAN POINT OUT TO ME EITHER FROM THE OLD OR NEW TESTAMENT WHERE IT STATES THAT MARY DID NOT DIE BUT WAS TAKEN UP INTO HEAVEN WITHOUT SEEING DEATH. SHOW IT TO ME AND I PROMISE YOU, I WILL BECOME A CATHOLIC IMMEDIATELY!

LET ME EVEN EXTEND YOUR SEARCH PARAMETER. YOU CAN INCLUDE THE BOOKS OF 1ST AND 2ND MACCABEES, SIRACH, WISDOM, JUDITH, TOBIT AND BARUCH
grin
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by prettystacy(f): 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2013
Having read ur views(pentecostals) as rgds assumption, I have jst one word for u IGNORANCE dats wat u suffer. Some1 even said we celebrate mass in her name dats the dumbest thing to say... Lmao.as for my statement 'thru her we got salvation' u all knw wat dat means . Some of my frnds r lukn for what to hold on to, its a shame. Mary bore jesus who gave us salvation so... She shud be honoured period.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by francisca5: 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2013
Ave Maria
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
francisca5: Ave Maria

More like Salvage Maria
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by simpleseyi: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
babe4chi: Oh lady of fatima,hail!!!
Immaculate mother of grace...
Oh pray for us,help us today!
Thou hope of the human race.
Amen...

Ave maria!!!

Pls pardon my ignorance, I thought Fatima na muslim name. Does Fatima go to the mosque and to the church at the same time like my humble self?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
naijadeyhia:

[b]You need to know your History and draw inferences from them. Martin Luther took out books from the Apocrypha because there was no claim to them being divinely inspired. Let me give you some facts below:

The Roman Catholic Church did not officially canonize the Apocrypha until the Council of Trent (1546 AD).

This was in part because the Apocrypha contained material which supported certain Catholic doctrines, such as purgatory, praying for the dead, and the treasury of merit.

Not one of them is in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament.

Not one of the writers lays any claim to inspiration.
These books were never acknowledged as sacred Scriptures by the Jewish Church, and therefore were never sanctioned by our Lord.

They were not allowed a place among the sacred books, during the first four centuries of the Christian Church.

They contain fabulous statements, and statements which contradict not only the canonical Scriptures, but themselves; as when, in the two Books of Maccabees, Antiochus Epiphanes is made to die three different deaths in as many different places.

The Apocrypha inculcates doctrines at variance with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.

This is a test case example

And the day following Judas came with his company, to take away the bodies of them that were slain, and to bury them with their kinsmen, in the sepulchers of their fathers. And they found under the coats of the slain some of the donaries of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbiddeth to the Jews: so that all plainly saw, that for this cause they were slain. Then they all blessed the just judgment of the Lord, who had discovered the things that were hidden. And so betaking themselves to prayers, they besought him, that the sin which had been committed might be forgotten. But the most valiant Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves from sin, forasmuch as they saw before their eyes what had happened, because of the sins of those that were slain. And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachmas of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins. (2 Maccabees 12:39-46)

I will give you more instances if you desire more knowledge [/b]

[size=15pt]Definition of a Roman Catholic:[/size]

Someone who believes:

The present roman catholic church organization in Rome is Christ's one true church established in 30 A.D.
The pope is a god-appointed head of the church on the earth.
The teachings and decrees of the pope as equal to the bible in authority.
The Catholic church as the infallible interpreter of scripture.
That tradition is equal to the bible in authority.

All HERESY

read and be educated!!!

If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. Revelation 22:19

All Christians - Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant - agree that the Books in the Bible are the inspired, written Word of God but disagree on which Books belong in the Bible. Specifically we do not agree on the Old Testament (OT) canon - the list of Books inspired by God. The Catholic OT Canon includes - Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, I and II Maccabees - plus sections of Esther and Daniel which are absent from the Protestant OT. Protestant Christians do not accept these Writings as inspired by God and refer to them as the "Apocrypha".

Sometimes this problem is used to defame the Catholic Church. As an example, John Ankerberg and John Weldon in their book, The Facts on Roman Catholicism, write:

Catholicism teaches that Scripture involves more than the canon accepted by the Jews, Jesus and the Church of the first four centuries, i.e., the 39 books of the Protestant Old Testament. [A&W, p.33]

Allegedly the Catholic Church added to the OT that Jesus used.

Now it may be true that Protestants share the same OT canon as Jews today; however, the situation was a little different during the time of Jesus. The Jews before the 2nd century A.D. did not appear to have a rigidly defined OT canon. In the words of James King West, a Protestant Bible scholar:

The Scriptures of Judaism were not, therefore, a precisely defined body of literature absolutely set apart from all other literature, but a central body of material, the Torah (i.e. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers & Deut.), which from the time of Ezra had remained fixed as... the Scriptures par excellence, surrounded by other interpretive material of varying degrees of importance and authority. [S&W, p. OT 432]

By the time of Christ, all Jews accepted the five Books of Moses - the Torah - as Scripture; however, Books, like Esther and Ecclesiastes, were debated. From the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Jews at Qumran apparently read and copied Tobit, The Letter of Jeremiah (Baruch 6) and Sirach as Scripture, while Esther is missing from the scrolls. [JBC, pp. 522 & 565] Unfortunately we can only speculate on what Jesus thought on this issue. No where in the New Testament (NT) does Jesus or His Apostles present a complete list of the OT Books or even discuss this issue.

Before the 2nd century, most Palestian Jews preferred a canon loosely similar to the Protestant OT; however, the Greek-speaking Jews preferred the larger canon found in the Greek Septuagint Bible - a 2nd-century B.C. Greek translation of the Hebrew Scripture. It was the "Bible" for the Greek-speaking Jews. When the Apostles began to evangelize the Greek-speaking Jews and Gentiles, they used the already established Septuagint as their Bible. Using the Hebrew Scripture would have been as effective as using a Russian Bible to evangelize Americans. The Septuagint served to bridge the culture gap. Quickly the Greek-speaking converts outnumbered the Hebrew Christians. Scholars also recognize that the NT writers quoted extensively from the Septuagint, e.g. Matt. 1:23. The Septuagint became the OT of the early Church. [S&W, p. OT 433]

Only after the destruction of the Temple and debates with Christians, the Pharisees at Jamnia finally limited the Hebrew Canon in the 2nd century A.D. - a century after the Resurrection of Christ. They restricted the Hebrew Canon to Books written before 400 B.C. in Hebrew. They also rejected the Septuagint claiming it to be corrupted by the Christians. [S&W, p. OT 433]

In the mid-2nd century, St. Justin Martyr in his Dialogue With Trypho commented on the difference between the Christian OT and the Hebrew Canon. Tertullian during this period also commented on this difference. [JBC, p. 523] These comments and concerns would have been inappropriate, if the early Christians and Jews shared the same OT canon.

The OT of the most ancient surviving Christian Bible manuscripts - Codex Vaticanus (4th century), Codex Sinaiticus (4th century) and Codex Alexandrinus (5th century) - are Greek Septuagint text. Apart from holes and missing pages, the Codex Vaticanus contains all the Books of the Catholic OT, except I and II Maccabees. The Codex Sinaiticus only lacks II Maccabees but also includes IV Maccabees. The Codex Alexandrinus contains all of the Catholic OT Books plus III and IV Maccabees. These manuscripts show that the Septuagint with its larger and looser canon was the OT "Bible" of the early Church.

In the 4th century, some Church fathers, especially those who debated with the Jews, like Jerome, favored the shorter Hebrew Canon. Some Church fathers like Ambrose and Augustine favored the larger canon of the Septuagint. Others like Gregory Nazianzen also excluded Esther from the Bible [JBC, p. 522]. Jerome while favoring the shorter canon, several times in his writings cited Books from the larger canon as Scripture. [S&W, p. OT 434] The Councils of Hippo and Carthage in the late-4th century were the first real attempts by the Church to end the confusion over the OT canon. The OT canon which they proclaimed is still found in Catholic Bibles today. The controversy continued but in 1441 the Council of Florence upheld this larger canon. In response to the Protestants, the Council of Trent definitively upheld the larger OT canon. [S&W, pp. OT 434-435; JBC, p. 517]

Now the Catholic Church is not alone in accepting the Books which Protestants label as "Apocrypha." The Coptic, Greek and Russian Orthodox churches also recognize these Books as inspired by God. In 1950 an edition of the OT containing all these Books was officially approved by the Holy Synod of the Greek church. Also the Russian Orthodox church in 1956 published a Russian Bible in Moscow which contained these Books. [JBC, p. 524] More details from a scholarly Protestant viewpoint can be found in The New Oxford Annotated Bible (Oxford, 1977).

Some Christians attempt to discredit these Books by pointing out apparent historical errors contained in them. [A&W, p. 33] It is common knowledge among scholars that Tobit and Judith contain obvious historical inaccuracies; however, these Books are recognized as didactic parables, like Jonah. It is also common knowledge among scholars that Daniel suffers from similar glaring historical inaccuracies, e.g. Daniel 1:1. [S&W, p. OT 419] Some scholars have suggested that both Daniel and Judith may actually be a disguised historical account of Antiochus Epiphanes [S&W, p. OT 462].

Other Christians may point to the immoral deceit of Judith in Judith 9:10-13 in an attempt to discredit this Book. [A&W, p. 33] Unfortunately the OT contains other less than edifying practices, for example: the deceit of Jacob in Genesis 27, incest in Genesis 19:32 and inhumanity in Psalm 137:9. Also in Hosea 1:2, God commands the prophet Hosea to marry a woman who would commit adultery. These OT events simply show the need for Jesus Christ. Finally we cannot use human reason alone to judge the Word of God.

In conclusion the Catholic Church did not add to the OT. The Catholic OT Canon (also the numbering of the Psalms) came from the ancient Greek Septuagint Bible. Protestants, following the tradition of the Pharisaic Jews, accept the shorter Hebrew Canon, even though the Jews also reject the NT Books. The main problem is that the Bible does not define itself. No where in the Sacred Writings are the divinely inspired Books listed completely. (The Table of Contents is the publishing editor's words, like the footnotes.) The Bible needs a visible, external authority guided by the Holy Spirit to define both the OT and NT Canons. This authority is the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. As St. Augustine writes, "I would not have believed the Gospel had not the authority of the Church moved me." [Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 15th ed.,
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by hillsate: 6:41pm On Aug 15, 2013
Controversy:
You are neither a Christian!
1 Corinthians 2:14
But people who are unspiritual
don't accept the things from
God's Spirit. They are
foolishness to them and can't be
understood, because they can
only be comprehended in a
spiritual way.

Pathetic!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
The Protestant Personal Opinion Error:
Why are there now at least 39,000 different Protestant sects in the world today?
The answer to that question can be found in Holy Scripture:

"You shall not do as we are now doing; here, everyone does what seems right to himself..."
Deuteronomy 12:8, a verse ignored by Protestants since they do these things.

"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what he thought best."
Judges 17:6, 21:25, verses accepted by Protestants.

"Understanding this first: That no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Spirit."
2Peter 1:20-21, ignored by Protestants.

"They came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you are not concerned with anyone's opinion. You do not regard a person’s status but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth..."
Matthew 22:16, Mark 12:14, ignored by Protestants.

"(13) And Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? (14) But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. (15) Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am? (16) Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. (17) And Jesus answering said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. (18) And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (19) And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."
Matthew 16:13-19

The above verses are a prime example of personal opinions contrasted with doctrinal truth.
In verse 14 through 17, all but one of the disciples had nothing to offer but personal opinions expressed by mere human creatures (as it is read in vs 14, 'some', 'other some', 'others', and in vs 17, 'flesh and blood'), and ALL OF THEM WERE WRONG, save for one, Simon Peter.
Simon Peter was the only one to receive this revelation from GOD, and in so doing he was the only one to express the truth, by GOD given authority. Since GOD never changes, who would have the audacity to be so bold as to deny that GOD does the same today as He did then, by giving His one representative of authority on earth the fullness of doctrinal truth?

"For GOD is true, and every man is a liar..." Romans 3:4

Now that we know what Holy Scripture has said, what do Protestants, who claim to follow Holy Scripture, do about these verses? All of Protestantism is based solely on personal opinions of men and women, and not on doctrinal truth. "If it feels good for me, then that is all that matters", so they say. So where does an attitude like this lead them, but to differences of opinion, squabbling, and finally endless splitting of the Body of Christ. Go back and re-read those verses above.
GOD is not concerned with anyone's personal opinion, but only for those who speak His doctrinal truth.

Protestants attack the Catholic Church by saying there is no need of a Pope. Well, they should look in their own back yard first, because each Protestant acts as his or her own pope. There are millions of "popes" in Protestantism, and all of them are running around claiming that their personal opinion regarding the interpretation of Scripture is the truth. Are there really millions of truths? I thought Holy Scripture said there was only one truth.
Martin Luther, the founder of Protestantism, lamented as he said these things after he had seen the damage that individual interpretation of Holy Scripture had done to his movement,
"This one will not hear of Baptism, and that one denies the sacrament, another puts a world between this and the last day: some teach that Christ is not God, some say this, some say that: there are as many sects and creeds as there are heads. No yokel is so rude but when he has dreams and fancies, he thinks himself inspired by the Holy Ghost and must be a prophet."
De Wette III, 61. quoted in O'Hare, THE FACTS ABOUT LUTHER, 208.
"Noblemen, townsmen, peasants, all classes understand the Evangelium better than I or St. Paul; they are now wise and think themselves more learned than all the ministers."
Walch XIV, 1360. quoted in O'Hare, Ibid, 209.

So what are they to do?
Scripture has very loudly and explicitly told them what to do and what not to do:
Stop "doing your own thing".
Stop the "If it feels good for me it must be true" mentality.
Stop the incessant and destructive individual interpretation of Holy Scripture which is forbidden by Holy Scripture itself.
Be obedient to what Scripture has admonished you to do.

So how do they get back to doctrinal truth as GOD demands from all of us?
Truth is one and it is a person. There is only one truth.
To have only one truth you have to have only one authority, the same one authority which was given to Simon Peter alone.
Is the Holy Spirit really prompting millions of Protestants, all of whom are interpreting Scripture for themselves on an individual basis, and with so many opposing viewpoints?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Controversy: 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
BigBabyJesus:

MOAR FUN FACTS ABOUT EX-POPE BENEDICT

1. Has the ability to shoot lightning from his fingertips.

2. Is king of all the child molesters and gets batshit insane when this gets pointed out

3. Strongest recorded jaw strength of any animal or human, living or dead.

4. Real name is Amanda.

5. Had a brief love affair with Borat.

6. He wields the strength of 10 ordinary Popes.

7. Once had body of former pope dug up, clothed, tried for various crimes, convicted, and thrown into the Rubicon.

8. His skin is actually made of precious Adamantium (A Highly rare feminist metal)

9. He is the father of Josef Fritzl.

10. He murdered 12 Jews with force lightning when he was supposedly "forced" into joining the Hitler Youth.

11. Is not attracted to women except to the Virgin Mary.

12. Has published a book translating it in at least 100 languages, but everybody failed to give a phuck about it.

13. Worked for Hitler during World War II but became pope for some reason.

14. will not answer my goddamn call to figure out where to buy a pope hat.

15. His nickname in highschool was "S3x Kitten"
Your stupidity no know bound
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by hillsate: 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @,Afam, didn't Mary intercede for the hosts in cana? During the wedding? Even tho Jesus said his time was yet to come, she made him accomplish his first miracle, she bore him, raised him, she's the mother of your God, she remained a virgin, last but not the least , she went straight to the heaven through her ascension.

My dear repent.

hehehe, please keep the comedy coming . . .
Mary mother of my God, lol.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
The "Holy Spirit Told Me" Error by protestants

There are three "Spirits" from whom we may receive prompting. They are:
1. The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth. 1John 4:6
2. The human spirit within each one of us. 1Thessalonians 5:23, Hebrews 4:12
3. The evil or Demonic spirit which comes from Satan, the spirit of error. 1John 4:6

All of Holy Scripture was written by people who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. This being so, the Bible is inerrant. It has to be, as it came to us under the inspiration of GOD.
Psalms 127:1 is Holy Spirit inspired and it says that there is only one Church, the one founded by GOD Himself, and that in all others, the members labor in vain. Isn't it interesting that teachings of the Old Testament are stressed anew in the New Testament? Ephesians 4:1-6 repeats what is said in Psalms with a list of many "ONES" including only ONE faith in verse 5. These verses have clearly said that the Holy Spirit guides only the one Church which GOD founded, and none other.
See John 16:13, "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come."
There are hundreds of millions of Protestants, all interpreting Scripture individually by mere personal opinion, and with all of them claiming "The Holy Spirit Told Me".
How can this possibly be, when every doctrine taught by one sect is denied by another, except for the existence of GOD? One claims the "spirit" told them to worship on Saturday, another makes the same claim except they were told Sunday. One says the "spirit" told them not to baptize infants. Yet another makes the same claim from the "spirit", but insists they were told just the opposite, they must baptize infants.
One claims they were "told" to have communion once a week, yet another was "told" once a month, and yet a third was "told" quarterly. You can readily see that I could go on and on down through the whole list of beliefs and find one which teaches one way and another to the contrary.
Since GOD is one, with only one truth and with only one Holy Spirit, how could that one Spirit of truth be prompting those who have contradicting viewpoints? Again, we look to Holy Scripture for the answer.
"And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him." Acts 5:32. See Acts 15:8 also.
Aha, so the Holy Spirit is given only to those who obey GOD. And who are they? In what I have shown so far, how can any of those sects with opposing viewpoints, be in obedience to the one truth of GOD?
Was Martin Luther in obedience to his superiors (Hebrews 13:17) when he started the Protestant revolt all the while blaspheming his superiors at the same time?
Just who do you suppose is creating all of this confusion between the Protestant sects?
The answer is that the Holy Spirit cannot, and will not, for GOD cannot deceive us, Isaiah 53:9, Hebrews 6:18, 1Peter 2:22, and He certainly cannot contradict Himself, 2Timothy 2:13.
Since truth is one, GOD cannot lie, Titus 1:2. There cannot be opposing viewpoints with each claiming to be of the truth. Common sense tells us that in at least half of the opposing viewpoints the truth has to be compromised.
So now, just who is the liar and the Father of Lies? See John 8:44 for the answer.
1Corinthians 14:33, "For God is not the author of confusion..."
If GOD is not the author of confusion, then who is?
I would suggest that you re-read Psalms 127:1 and Ephesians 4:1-6 again, for of the three choices of "spirits who told me", we have eliminated the first one. There are only two choices left.
Which one of those remaining two is prompting Protestantism?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
The Protestant Rejection of Authority Error:
"He who hears you, hears me; and he who rejects you, rejects me; and he who rejects me, rejects him who sent me." Luke 10:16
That is authority!
Powerful words from the mouth of Jesus Christ to his disciples, the leaders of His Church.
Those who hear His Church, hear him, is what Jesus Christ said in that verse.
Conversely, those who do not hear his Church, do not hear him. If you are interested to know what will be the fate of those who reject His Church, then read the context in Luke 10:1-15.

Holy Scripture has a lot to say about authority, as to just who has it and who does not, and how important a central authority is to the understanding of truth.
However, Protestants have consistently rejected all authority. They simply rejected what they never could have had from the onset of their revolt. However, rejection of authority is anti-Christian and anti-Bible. Since they have rejected his Church, haven't they rejected Jesus Christ and the Father as well? Luke 10:16 has clearly told us that they have.

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."
Romans 13:1-2

"Obey your prelates and be subject to them. For they watch as being to render an account of your souls: that they may do this with joy and not with grief. For this is not expedient for you."
Hebrews 13:17
Was Martin Luther and the other leaders of the Protestant revolt obedient as this verse demands?

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."
Matthew 18:15-17
So what does this verse tell us as to where the final authority is to be found? What is the name of that Church, since it is still with us? To what Church would you go in order to obey the command of Jesus Christ in those verses if you lived in 110, or 450, or 1025, or 1490? Can you name it?

There are many verses which warn against forsaking GOD given authority regarding His Assembly (O.T.) or Church (N.T.) which He bestowed upon prophets such as Moses
Exodus 3-40, and on the Apostles John 20:21-23, and to their successors, Hebrews 13:7-8, 13:17.
Read of Mariam and Aaron as they complained against the authority of Moses in
Numbers 12:1-15, (3) "Is it through Moses alone that the Lord speaks? Does he not speak through us also?"
GOD became angry with this remark, since He had previously chosen to speak through his one and only father figure, His "vicar" on earth, Moses. Consequently he turned Mariam into a leper.
Read of the rebellion of Korah against the GOD given authority of Moses in Numbers 16, and pay especial attention to what happened to Korah, and to his followers in Numbers 16:31-35.
His ending, and that of his followers is not pretty to say the least.

Which person in any of the now 39,000 Protestant sects has any authority at all?
Who has the over all authority to separate truth in teaching from the pitfall of error?

The rejection of authority is merely a Protestant defense mechanism. Since they obviously knew that they had no authority to begin with, they simply elected to reject all authority. However, their rejection of authority is highly anti-Christian and anti-Biblical, as I have shown.
For those who claim to follow the Bible only, how is it that they cannot see this?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
The Protestant Never Ending Splitting of the Body of Christ Error:

The errors of "rule by personal opinion", the "Holy Spirit told me", "Sola Scriptura", and "rejection of authority", all lead to chaos, confusion, and to divisions of the one Body of Christ.
Where there is rule by personal opinion among millions of people, you will have millions of differing personal opinions which leads to utter chaos.
Where everyone thinks he or she is right because the "Holy Spirit told me", there is bound to be all three spirits involved. Who is right and who is wrong when all think they are right?
When everyone is practicing Sola Scriptura, they limit themselves to Scripture only, and again personal opinions enter into the picture, so whose opinion do we accept?
Where there is no GOD given authority, and a dispute between factions cannot be settled amicably, the factions of personal opinion split, creating yet more factions. This is precisely why Jesus Christ founded His one teaching Church and gave it the authority (Matthew 18:17-18) to settle disputes of which Scripture tells us were inevitable to arise (1Corinthians 11:19).

Where there is GOD given authority, a dispute is settled by that authoritative body.
Where there is no GOD given authority, a dispute is not settled. The opposing parties simply split and form new sects, and thus is revealed the main reason why there are 39,000 splits of the Body of Christ in Protestantism. "Has Christ been divided?", 1Corinthians 1:13.

When Martin Luther came along and broke from the Church which Jesus Christ founded, which had already existed for almost fifteen hundred years, and which was on its 218th in a line of Popes going all the way back to St. Peter, he created the first Protestant church. It was 1521. He was not alone in doing this but almost immediately he and Thomas Munzer had a "difference of opinion" and Munzer broke from Luther and formed the second Protestant church, also in 1521. The splits in Protestantism had begun and continue at a feverish pace to this very day. In 1600 there were 100 splits. In 1900 there were over 1000. Today there are at least 39,000 splits in the Body of Christ in Protestantism with new ones being added every week, and the end is not in sight.
"Has Christ been divided up?" 1Corinthians 1:13, yet another verse ignored by Protestants.
This is the legacy one receives as a "reward" for 'rule by opinion' which is forbidden by scripture, insisting that 'the Holy Spirit told me' when He did not, 'Sola Scriptura' which is not scriptural, and 'rejection of an authoritative governing body', which is against the commands of Scripture
(Matthew 18:17, Hebrews 13:17).

"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."
Matthew 12:30, Luke 11:23
With, 39,000 different non-Catholic sects in the world today, just who is doing the scattering?
It is obvious from the verses listed that 'he who scatters' is against the gatherer, Jesus Christ.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 6:58pm On Aug 15, 2013
The Error of Bringing GOD Down to Our Mere Human Level:
1) The Blessed Virgin Mary could have not been immaculately conceived.
2) She could not have been ever virgin.
3) She could not have been assumed into Heaven.
4) There was no miracle of the loaves and fishes, as each of the 5000 had a sandwich in his pocket.
This rejection of a genuine Biblical miracle leads to another related rejection:
5) "This is My Body" could not possibly be His real body, for it would be used up in no time in millions of communions, so it has to be a symbolic gesture.

These and many more denials of Catholic teaching come from Protestant scoffers and doubters as they attempt to transpose Divine miraculous happenings into mere human undertaking.
What these scoffers and doubters are really saying, is that, 'He who has created the universe and everything in it out of nothing, and sustains it all by virtue of His will, found it to be impossible do these things'.
In their denial of the examples which I have listed, Protestants have done nothing other than to impose limits upon an unlimited GOD.

The scoffers and doubters with their narrow and limited insights, ignore these words of GOD,
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by hillsate: 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2013
amanda2013: holy mary mother of God pray for us sinners nw and at the hour of our death. I wil continue to honour the mother of my saviour til death afterall God honoured her first so who am i nt to honour and respect her. She deserves all the honour and respect. And 4 d non catholics, u guys shuld learn to leave us alone. stop taking panadol for our headache.

I am glad you acknowledged that what you believe in is a headache.
When will you all stop being sinners and always praying to one idol you call Mary.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by adino(m): 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2013
Amen...

Ave maria!!!

I LoooooooooooooooooVE This Song.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 15, 2013
hillsate:

I am glad you acknowledged that what you believe in is a headache.
When will you all stop being sinners and always praying to one idol you call Mary.
honor your father and your mother and u will have a long life on earth. Mary is our mother that's why we honor them

1 Like

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Tobetoe(m): 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2013
Wow, am so,so happy o.. Double celebration in d air.. First today is ma bday and d feast of d assumption... And am a praticing catholic.. And i say to all nairalanders, happy ,happy feast day, .. Hail holy queen ,mother of mercy, hail our light ,our sweeetness, and our hope, to u do we cry .o poor banished children eve......
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by adino(m): 7:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
Amen...

Ave maria!!!

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS SONG.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Lordave: 7:11pm On Aug 15, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: honor your father and your mother and u will have a long life on earth. Mary is our mother that's why we honor them
goat!
Why not ask your biological mother to pray and intercede for you.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 15, 2013
Lordave: goat!
Why not ask your biological mother to pray and intercede for you.
don't u ask your pastor to pray for u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

30-year-old Prophetess Set Ablaze As Trance Celebration Turned Sour / Photo Of The Day, Purify Your Intentions / The Danger Of Associating With Greedy People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.