Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,124 members, 7,896,806 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:08 PM

Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos (13694 Views)

Suspected Boko Haram Member Attacks Civil Defence Corps Officer In Anambra / Policeman Kills Youth For Insisting On Sighting Election Result Sheet / Customs-Officer Arrested For Ferrying Arms For Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by Maidoki14(m): 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2013
An d police will say na accidental discharge!
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by ilenaira: 2:46pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mr Aboki:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Did the gun malfunction?!

Was the gun slipping out of the officers hands 'negligence' or an 'accident'?!

If the gun malfunctioned, was the malfunction as a result of 'negligence on the part of the officer' or simple 'mechanical failure'?!

What exactly did the officer do wrong?!

Mr Aboki, I'm not sure what you're defending or even whether you know anything about weapons. Have you ever attended a weapons safety course? Before you lend credence to carelessness and allow a culture of 'accidental discharges' to continue claiming lives, think.

For your information, guns don't just 'malfunction'. If the person in charge of the gun is not in a state of alert, why was the safety off? Why was the automatic mode engaged? why was a loaded weapon allowed to be in a position of falling or slipping?

No wonder idiotic police walk around with their gun safety catches off in the most unwarranted of places because the average Nigerian will excuse it and mouth the usual 'Eyah / RIP'. undecided
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by pekelepekele(m): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
How many times will i say this on this forum . RUBBER BULLET NOT REAL BULLET FOR ANY POLICE OFFICER BETWEEN THE RANK OF SERGEANT TILL THE LOWEST RANK (CONSTABLE)

RIP TO THE DEAD
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by Memyselfu2009(m): 2:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
The question is are Nigerian police trained properly this mistake don't happen in the army navy or airforce only police
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by MrAboki: 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2013
ile naira:

Mr Aboki, I'm not sure what you're defending or even whether you know anything about weapons. Have you ever attended a weapons safety course? Before you lend credence to carelessness and allow a culture of 'accidental discharges' to continue claiming lives, think.

I havent attended any weapons safety course unfortunately, but I do know quite a bit about weapons.

ile naira:
For your information, guns don't just 'malfunction'. If the person in charge of the gun is not in a state of alert, why was the safety off? Why was the automatic mode engaged? why was a loaded weapon allowed to be in a position of falling or slipping?

[b]You will notice the highlighted portion of your post.. That my friend is a blatant lie..

Every Mechanical equipment can malfunction, especially if poorly maintained.. Thats why Mechanical effieciency can never be 100%.

Now, before you start judging;

1. below is an extract from the main article;

Etumgbe: The policeman, identified as Sergeant Peter Adegbesan, was said to have left his service riffle uncorked when it fell from his hand and started firing.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/policeman-kills-customs-officer-in-lagos/#sthash.z23AyOik.dpuf

I dont know about you o, but when I hear that a weapon is 'uncorked', it means that it isnt in 'firing mode'. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

2. The article never said that his weapon was set to 'full automatic'.. However, what the article did say was that his weapon slipped out of his grasp, fell to the ground and started firing off rounds. By interpretation, his weapon was firing off rounds like it would do in 'full automatic' mode.

Now here is where the problem lies.. A weapon can slip and fall to the ground.. Its called 'AN ACCIDENT'. Accidents do happen, even to the best of us. But for a weapon to hit the floor and start firing off continiously like that, it means that the weapon 'MALFUNCTIONED'. #Period... This cannot be blamed on the officer in question. The gun might as well have malfunctioned whilst it was hanging from his back or even in the middle of combat. It simply means that the weapon was defective..

3. Why was a weapon allowed to slip out of the grasp of an officer?! Same reason a hammer slips out of the grip of a carpenter, or a paint brush out of the hands of a painter, or even a knife out of the hands of a butcher.. its called 'AN ACCIDENT'.

ile naira:
No wonder idiotic police walk around with their gun safety catches off in the most unwarranted of places because the average Nigerian will excuse it and mouth the usual 'Eyah / RIP'. undecided

#FINALLY... Before we rush off to judge this officer like the Mob that tried to lynch him, lets remember the following;

1. Its not normal for even a corked full-automatic rifle to fall to the ground and start firing off repeated shots like that.. Thats an anormally. We cant blame the officer for this.

2. Accidents do happen.. Thats why they are called accidents.[/b]
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]Lets get this matter straight..

An officers gun fell to the ground and started firing.. Hmmmmm.....

Now its either the gun trigger switch jammed upon impact with the ground or I must be out of my mind. For an AK-47 to keep firing repetitiously, the mode switch on the side of the gun must first be set to 'Full-automatic mode' and the trigger must be depressed and held their.

Questions arising;

1. Why did the gun malfunction like that from a fall? Its ine thing for a gun to fall and release a short burst of rapid fire, its another thing for it to fall and start firing in automatic mode..

2. For a gun to malfunction like that, what are the chances that the gun wouldnt have still behaved the same way even if the switch was in safety position.

3. Now should the story be true, a gun on the ground that is self-firing in automaticmode would be spinning out of control, how did the sergeant control the gun?! I would have thought that he would even run away from the malfunctioning firearm.

4. Why did the Mob try to lynch him especially seeing as it was an accident. Especially an accident coupled with a malfunctioning trigger.

Customs should properly investigate this matter..

[/b]
1000 Likes
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by ilenaira: 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mr Aboki, I honestly don't have the time for repeated exchanges so I'll be brief in why I think you are wrong.

We don't know the exact firearm involved in this incident but any firearm with a selectable firing mode will either have the safety incorporated into the selector or a separate safety catch. The gun went off, therefore either way, the safety was off.

Also, a safety catch is a fail-safe mechanism, that means the gun would rather jam than fire. Most mechanical failures in guns are about them jamming and not automatically deciding to kill innocent Nigerians.

If we give him the benefit of the doubt on the safety, that the gun kept shooting meant it was in automatic mode. WHY?.
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by MrAboki: 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
ile naira: Mr Aboki, I honestly don't have the time for repeated exchanges so I'll be brief in why I think you are wrong.

We don't know the exact firearm involved in this incident but any firearm with a selectable firing mode will either have the safety incorporated into the selector or a separate safety catch. The gun went off, therefore either way, the safety was off.

Also, a safety catch is a fail-safe mechanism, that means the gun would rather jam than fire. Most mechanical failures in guns are about them jamming and not automatically deciding to kill innocent Nigerians.

If we give him the benefit of the doubt on the safety, that the gun kept shooting meant it was in automatic mode. WHY?.

Is it poosible, that a gun that falls from a height and hits the floor can malfunction and start firing uncontrollably?! Wether the switch was on 'safe', 'semi-automatic' or 'full-automatic'?

YES or NO....
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by ilenaira: 4:10pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Is it poosible, that a gun that falls from a height and hits the floor can malfunction and start firing uncontrollably?! Wether the switch was on 'safe', 'semi-automatic' or 'full-automatic'?

YES or NO....

sigh.... NO. Remember what I wrote previously. If the safety and firing mode are integrated your man is guilty. If they are separate, he is still culpable for having the automatic mode on. The dead man may have not been hit or survived with one bullet, but an automatic assault?. Anyway, I'm not one for this ping-pong. knock yourself out (but not accidentally tongue).
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by MrAboki: 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
ile naira:

sigh.... NO. Remember what I wrote previously. If the safety and firing mode are integrated your man is guilty. If they are separate, he is still culpable for having the automatic mode on. The dead man may have not been hit or survived with one bullet, but an automatic assault?. Anyway, I'm not one for this ping-pong. knock yourself out (but not accidentally tongue).

SO you are basically saying that there is no chance that a Gun Which is a mechanical equipment can malfunction and fire on its own regardless of what mode the selector switch is in... WOW!!

You just invariably said that 'The mechanical advantage of a Gun with its selector switch in safety mode is 100%'... And that my dear friend makes you wrong.

My Lord..

The defence rests..

Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by Esiere: 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mr Aboki you have a point!
Furthermore, why should it be an officer....a custom officer of hundred of people that usually flood the port.

Custom must investigate!
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by biafrakwenu(m): 5:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
but how gun go fall from policeman hand, na wa oh
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by flexingsly: 5:29pm On Aug 16, 2013
the nigerian police needs re orientation. they r jst too dull. hw can u leav ur gon unlocked? evn a civilian dat avnt handled a gun wont do dat.! mtsew. Rip to d officer
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by brillant(m): 6:58pm On Aug 16, 2013
A life without Christ is crisis. RIP
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 16, 2013
okpara ugo:

In my presence, it has happened to an army man's gun. Thank God that day the gun was in his right hand and pointed to the ground...

The gun released two bullets without notice.
*sighs* They have to be always careful.
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by 2goodbobo(m): 8:48am On Aug 17, 2013
One man's mistake is another man's death. R.I.P
Re: Policeman Kills Customs Officer In Lagos by InvertedHammer: 4:21am On Aug 18, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]Lets get this matter straight..

An officers gun fell to the ground and started firing.. Hmmmmm.....

Now its either the gun trigger switch jammed upon impact with the ground or I must be out of my mind. For an AK-47 to keep firing repetitiously, the mode switch on the side of the gun must first be set to 'Full-automatic mode' and the trigger must be depressed and held their.

Questions arising;

1. Why did the gun malfunction like that from a fall? Its ine thing for a gun to fall and release a short burst of rapid fire, its another thing for it to fall and start firing in automatic mode..

2. For a gun to malfunction like that, what are the chances that the gun wouldnt have still behaved the same way even if the switch was in safety position.

3. Now should the story be true, a gun on the ground that is self-firing in automaticmode would be spinning out of control, how did the sergeant control the gun?! I would have thought that he would even run away from the malfunctioning firearm.

4. Why did the Mob try to lynch him especially seeing as it was an accident. Especially an accident coupled with a malfunctioning trigger.

Customs should properly investigate this matter..

[/b]

Thinking along the same line.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dele Momodu Honored With A Doctorate Degree By A Ghanaian University / Mark Obi Resigns As Governor Ayade’s Special Adviser On SDGs / Pictures From Anambra Man Of Year 2021 Awards: Ozigbo, Chicason, E-Money Shine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.