Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,171 members, 7,907,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:58 AM

Let's Discuss Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let's Discuss Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 (821 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / The Deception Of Malachi 3:10-11 "Devourer" And "Storehouse" EXPOSED / Help Shed More Light On Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Let's Discuss Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 by shevon: 12:38pm On Aug 17, 2013
I was just reading a post about drinking wine or otherwise and I wanted to post a comment by quoting Deu. 14: 26, which my father has always been quoting to justify his drinking, but I decided to read from the beginning to fully understand what the bible meant when it mentioned buying alcohol/strong drink, lo and behold, it was all about tithe!
Deu. 14: 22-29 (New Living Translation)
The Giving of Tithes
22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—
one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.
23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of
worship—the place the LORD your God chooses for
his name to be honored—and eat it there in his
presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new
wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your
flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always
to fear the LORD your God.
24 “Now when the LORD your God blesses you
with a good harvest, the place of worship he
chooses for his name to be honored might be too
far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell
the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the
money in a pouch, and go to the place the LORD
your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may
use the money to buy any kind of food you want—
cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink.
Then feast there in the presence of the LORD your
God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do
not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will
receive no allotment of land among you.
28 “At the end of every third year, bring the
entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in
the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will
receive no allotment of land among you, as well as
to the foreigners living among you, the orphans,
and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and
be satisfied. Then the LORD your God will bless you
in all your work.

* I tried sharing this with my wife and pointed out the following as what I picked from the above:
-Tithes are meant for you and your household to eat and be merry before God in His presence as to glorify His name.
-If the above scripture is to be adapted to the modern day, those of us that work for money are meant to use our tithe to organize a feast in the churches for ourselves and our household.
-After every three years, our tithes are to be given to the church for them to arrange a feast for the Pastors/Priests (Levites) who are not supposed to do any other work(or have a source of livelihood) other than the work of God (of which we the congregation are supposed to assist them with their daily survival), the orphans, widows and strangers amongst our society.
Of all the things I told her, the only thing she just mentioned was Malachi 3: 8-10; and again, I decided to read Malachi 3 to understand what it was saying.

Mal. 3: 6-15 (New Living Translation)
A Call To Repentance
6 “I am the LORD, and I do not change. That is
why you descendants of Jacob are not already
destroyed. 7 Ever since the days of your ancestors,
you have scorned my decrees and failed to obey
them. Now return to me, and I will return to you,”
says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies.
“But you ask, ‘How can we return when we have
never gone away?’
8 “Should people cheat God? Yet you have
cheated me!
“But you ask, ‘What do you mean? When did we
ever cheat you?’
“You have cheated me of the tithes and
offerings due to me. 9 You are under a curse, for
your whole nation has been cheating me. 10 Bring
all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be
enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the
LORD of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows
of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so
great you won’t have enough room to take it in!
Try it! Put me to the test! 11 Your crops will be
abundant, for I will guard them from insects and
disease. a Your grapes will not fall from the vine
before they are ripe,” says the LORD of Heaven’s
Armies. 12 “Then all nations will call you blessed,
for your land will be such a delight,” says the LORD
of Heaven’s Armies.
13 “You have said terrible things about me,”
says the LORD.
“But you say, ‘What do you mean? What have
we said against you?’
14 “You have said, ‘What’s the use of serving
God? What have we gained by obeying his
commands or by trying to show the LORD of
Heaven’s Armies that we are sorry for our sins?
15 From now on we will call the arrogant blessed.
For those who do evil get rich, and those who dare
God to punish them suffer no harm.’”

*What have I picked from this portion:
-God is simply asking the children of Israel (us if you will) to turn from our evil ways and do what is right.

I might be wrong or there may be more to the scriptures I quoted above. Please, can anybody shed more light on the subject?

PS: I no start this thread for people to insult or call each other names, neither do I expect you to abuse any pastor. Kindly generalize your comments and opinions, don't direct it to anybody.
Thank you.
Re: Let's Discuss Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 by Goshen360(m): 6:18pm On Aug 17, 2013
If you going to understand Malachi, it's just 4 chapters, you have to read from chapter 1. It's ONLY THEN you will understand who God was talking to or rebuking on chapter 3 - that's context.
Re: Let's Discuss Deu. 14: 22-29 And Malachi 3: 6-15 by Candour(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2013
@shevon

Congrats my brother.You're on your way to a rich discovery.Just study Num 18:1-end with special attention to verses 21-30 and also Nehemiah 10:37-38 in addition to the post from Goshen360 above.

This issue has really been over flogged on here but since you might be new to the discourse, you can post your findings and i believe there'll be brothers and sisters willing to discuss with you

God bless you

(1) (Reply)

C0ZA Scandal: From Ese To Franca, Another Survivor Speaks ! / Is Devil Holy?because He Saw God / Would There Be Peace In The World If Everyone Became A Muslim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.