Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,334 members, 7,978,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 06:19 PM

Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan (22516 Views)

Photos Of Kwata Junction Flyover, Awka / Photos Of Ongoing Anambra Flyover Bridge / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 21, 2013
This is the kind of thread that spoilt my sewing machine last week...

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 11:51am On Aug 21, 2013
Jaidey-one:
The transformation being recorded within 2yrs of ajimobi wasn't achieved in 8yrs of pdp leadership. Shame on pdp, shame on accord party.

Fact. The challenge is out there.

Let it be countered by Akala (PDP) or Ladoja (formerly PDP, now Accord).

If Ladoja had shame, he would not be talking at all. He merely warmed the seat as a governor. What did he achieve? What did Akala achieve? How did Adedibu/Obasanjo as godfathers benefit the Oyo people?

Honestly, Ajimobi is not perfect and there's no government that can't be criticized but Ajimobi stands tall compared to his predecessors. I interact with Oyo people and their opinions agree with this.

Right now, there is so much construction activity in Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Oyo and Iseyin that you begin to wonder where the money or the zeal came from. More so, Oyo under Ajimobi is yet to start borrowing funds.

A few groups have emerged that try to campaign against Ajimobi's second coming, I simply ignore them.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Jilo83(m): 11:52am On Aug 21, 2013
Ladoja and his co-travellers 2 d land of destructn should shut up their fucking mouths. Substandard or not, we like it.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Ifecoded(m): 11:57am On Aug 21, 2013
Ifecoded: leave am, e no sabi wetin dem dey call barrier... Buy 2 barrier get 1 free, each costs #3b......lols baba barrier
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Gbawe: 12:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
Pukkah:

Fact. The challenge is out there.

Let it be countered by Akala (PDP) or Ladoja (formerly PDP, now Accord).

If Ladoja had shame, he would not be talking at all. He merely warmed the seat as a governor. What did he achieve? What did Akala achieve? How did Adedibu/Obasanjo as godfathers benefit the Oyo people?

Honestly, Ajimobi is not perfect and there's no government that can't be criticized but Ajimobi stands tall compared to his predecessors. I interact with Oyo people and their opinions agree with this.

Right now, there is so much construction activity in Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Oyo and Iseyin that you begin to wonder where the money or the zeal came from. More so, Oyo under Ajimobi is yet to start borrowing funds.

A few groups have emerged that try to campaign against Ajimobi's second coming, I simply ignore them.

The simple truth is that all the massive infrastructural development being seen throughout the SW are the very same the previous PDP administrators stated that money was not available to facilitate.

As you rhetorically ask "where is the zeal and money coming from" when we all know such never existed before. Is it not time failed past leaders like Alao-Akala et al leave politics and find something else to do?

Did they not have their turn with the only result being that the SW, in as much as 8 years, did not see anything near the giant strides being witnessed now in a few years under the ACN/APC? Did Ajimobi not build and complete the first new market in Oyo in 30 years? What stopped others before him from doing same when they had the chance? If Nigeria is a politically sophisticated nation, it will not be those who have messed up badly who should be disturbing those who are delivering what they woefully failed to offer the electorate.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Gbawe: 12:24pm On Aug 21, 2013
Jilo83: Ladoja and his co-travellers 2 d land of destructn should shut up their fucking mouths. Substandard or not, we like it.

My brother, never buy their deceit for a second. How is it "sub-standard"? It is their politics of retrogressions alone that makes it "sub-standard". As if the SW is not littered with critics currently who had many, many years to make a difference yet failed to do so. Now they are the biggest critics and detractors of those who are genuinely making a difference. Only in Nigeria will such aberrant behaviour be tolerated. Elsewhere, failures disappear from public view.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by beloved23: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2013
you are a fool..have you passed the brigde at computer village...home many heave duty vehicles have u seen crossed it..
Mr Aboki: I still remember how Ndi Yoruba abused me when I said that this Makola Bridge is what Fashola builds in Lagos and calls it Pedestrian bridge... grin

So the bridge cant accomodate large vehicles.. grin

3 Billion Naira.. for a One lane Birdge that cant carry large vehicles.

I laugh!!
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2013
Gbawe:

The simple truth is that all the massive infrastructural development being seen throughout the SW are the very same the previous PDP administrators stated that money was not available to facilitate.

As you rhetorically ask "where is the zeal and money coming from" when we all know such never existed before. Is it not time failed past leaders like Alao-Akala et al leave politics and find something else to do?

Did they not have their turn with the only result being that the SW, in as much as 8 years, did not see anything near the giant strides being witnessed now in a few years under the ACN/APC? Did Ajimobi not build and complete the first new market in Oyo in 30 years? What stopped others before him from doing same when they had the chance? If Nigeria is a politically sophisticated nation, it will not be those who have messed up badly who should be disturbing those who are delivering what they woefully failed to offer the electorate.

The whole thing is just so annoying to me. I was at a meeting where a Ladoja emissary said the flyover is too narrow. I asked 'how many wide flyovers did Ladoja build when he was in the saddle?' before I went on to show that the flyover is not too narrow for the envisaged traffic.

I am not a politician and neither do I belong to any political group but we must all listen to our conscience. I look at what is going on in Oyo and I'm amazed. I gathered that the masses now prefer to wait for Oyo Shuttle buses within Ibadan. I was told that the old women sit on their scarves and wait for the buses to come.

The last time I went to Ibadan, I dodged construction sites from Challenge to Mokola to Onireke, to Jericho, to Bodija etc. I was delayed but I was happy. From what I also saw with my own eyes, the people were happy. Many of them are asking 'all these in two years?'

I have also seen what Amosun is doing in Ogun. I went for a wedding in Sagamu and I saw his fingerprints. Even a blind man can attest to it in Ota and Abeokuta.

I ask again, what did the godfatherism of OBJ benefit the SW?

All these governors aren't perfect but the present SW governors are not your regular guys. They have performed above average. This is not about party politics as Ajimobi has even dwarfed the performance of Lam Adesina (he was in ACN).

Akala and Ladoja had the chance but they blew it. If Ladoja had performed better, I would not today be praising Ajimobi.

Who is that person that can perform better than Ajimobi - naira for naira and idea for idea? Let him come out and tell us his plans. Let's scrutinize him. For now, it's not Ladoja. For now, it's not Akala.

4 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by misterjosh(m): 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2013
Dat bridge must truly b substandard, imagine d havoc it wuld av caused if 'd accident' happened during d day
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 21, 2013
ACM10: 3 billion NAIRA for this barrier? shocked Who says that APC is less corrupt than PDP? lipsrsealed
point of correction, the project is not the barrier but the bridge in whole. Nigerians should stop jumping to conclusion
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by emiye(m): 1:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
mister josh: Dat bridge must truly b substandard, imagine d havoc it wuld av caused if 'd accident' happened during d day
But it happened in the day ? Are you mentally lazy to read and comprehend ?

The driver of the heavy truck likely had brake failure, heavily drunk, sleeping on the wheels or he was on a mission from the opposition to destroy the barrier.

2:30pm is in the day

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by mcfynest(m): 1:09pm On Aug 21, 2013
obadiah777: dayummm why demolish it

y didnt you say FIRST TO COMMENT??
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by papi365: 1:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
halla123: Big Brother Africa: Who Do You Think Will Win The Grand Prize?
Only 5 house-mates remain they were 28 at the start, remaining contestants are still trying hard to chase the grand prize of $300,000
Read more » http://www.iafrica.tv/?p=21653
U NEED DELIVERANCE,PPLE ARE TALKIN ABOUT A CERTAIN SITUATION,U KARI UR MUMU HEAD DEY TALK ABT BBA.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Abok1(m): 1:18pm On Aug 21, 2013
Skirtelnino:
point of correction, the project is not the barrier but the bridge in whole. Nigerians should stop jumping to conclusion

There's a painful trend that is noticeable on Nairaland based on the replies posted so far. Rather than facing the issue and calling out people who should be cautioned against breaking the laws, majority of Nigerians would rather capitalize on the issue to score cheap political points.

If we call ourselves adults, I wonder what we would be teaching our children by supporting acts of lawlessness. We should learn to separate issues from personalities.

In saner climes, no one in his right senses would drive on a restricted road, and the process of limiting vehicular activities on bridges doesn't necessarily depict that the structure is sub-standard, there are specifications for different infrastructures (this is what the layman would call the lifespan), although we don't respect this in Nigeria hence the persistent breakdown of machineries and infrastructures. While the governor was sensible enough to stick with the plan and specifications of the designer of the bridge, some illiterate politicians are playing politics with the bridge.

The salient questions remains:
Are the politicians more informed than the civil engineers responsible for the evaluation of the project?
Do they know if the foundations of the said bridge is wide enough to support a wider bridge which would in turn enable the bridge to conveniently support heavy duty vehicles?

I weep for Nigeria's future leaders if these replies represents the mindset of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by deeptesting(m): 1:20pm On Aug 21, 2013
wellmax:

You have learnt how to read, next learn how to comprehend.
Where did you hear them say the barrier cost N3B?
The barrier was meant to prevent heavy duty vehicles from using the flyover since there is an alternative route for them (a common practice all over Nigeria).
Its a pity how we politicize everything.

The question is why claim you spent 3 billion Naira on a bridge that cannot be plied by heave duty trucks....the fund spent does not justify the standard of the bridge and that is a good point the opposition raised....Creating an alternative route for the trucks is a waste of public fund....Stop believing the conspiracy theory of Nigeria politicians, do some home work yourself.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by deeptesting(m): 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2013
Abok1:

There's a painful trend that is noticeable on Nairaland based on the replies posted so far. Rather than facing the issue and calling out people who should be cautioned against breaking the laws, majority of Nigerians would rather capitalize on the issue to score cheap political points.

If we call ourselves adults, I wonder what we would be teaching our children by supporting acts of lawlessness. We should learn to separate issues from personalities.

In saner climes, no one in his right senses would drive on a restricted road, and the process of limiting vehicular activities on bridges doesn't necessarily depict that the structure is sub-standard, there are specifications for different infrastructures (this is what the layman would call the lifespan), although we don't respect this in Nigeria hence the persistent breakdown of machineries and infrastructures. While the governor was sensible enough to stick with the plan and specifications of the designer of the bridge, some illiterate politicians are playing politics with the bridge.

The salient questions remains:
Are the politicians more informed than the civil engineers responsible for the evaluation of the project?
Do they know if the foundations of the said bridge is wide enough to support a wider bridge which would in turn enable the bridge to conveniently support heavy duty vehicles?

I weep for Nigeria's future leaders if these replies represents the mindset of Nigerians.

My friend with all the parameters you have stated for a standard bridge 3 billion Naira is more than enough to meet all the standard for a heavy duty truck to ply the bridge.....Simple...the bridge is substandard and what evidence does the government have to prove that the barrier was intentionally destroyed by the opposition other than there unverifiable security report claim.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by oiseworld: 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2013
wellmax:

The barrier was meant to prevent heavy duty vehicles from using the flyover since there is an alternative route for them (a common practice all over Nigeria).

Even at that, should that small bridge cost 3billion? Haba. 3 Billion just for a flyover.

These APC people are the fathers of THIEVES!!!
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2013
deeptesting:

My friend with all the parameters you have stated for a standard bridge 3 billion Naira is more than enough to meet all the standard for a heavy duty truck to ply the bridge.....Simple...the bridge is substandard and what evidence does the government have to prove that the barrier was intentionally destroyed by the opposition other than there unverifiable security report claim.

I would be happy if informed people could prove that the cost of the flyover is too high. Ajimobi is doing well and the people are generally happy with him but that should not be a reason for inflation of contracts. Like an average person, I prefer more to less. If the cost of 1 flyover can build 1 and a half, why not?

In as much as I want Ajimobi and other governors to be scrutinized, we should do so on the basis of facts and not emotions.

By the way, what's your definition of a sub-standard flyover?
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by ajaxtea(m): 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2013
Since d fly-ova was constructd i neva had d urge 2 coment on any post relatin 2 d fly-ova, but i tink it's tym 2 speak........
1. I don't care d amnt d govt. spent on d project, al i kno is dat d fly-ova ease d trafic congestion on dat axis....
2. D fly-ova is only a height restriction fly-ova which is comon feature of roads arnd d world....
3. As 2 weda its sub-standard or not, as 4 me its not bcuz wen d fly-ova was being tarred heavy machinery were used...
4. D barrier was pulled down byond reasonable doubt bcuz a mini van can't pull dat tin down
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2013
oiseworld:

Even at that, should that small bridge cost 3billion? Haba. 3 Billion just for a flyover.

We should not shield any one regardless of the political party.

I also think N3billion is high but I admit that I am neither a Civil Engineer nor a Quantity Surveyor. Do you have facts to support your assertion?

Let's listen to you please.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Gbawe: 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2013
oiseworld:

And you know what this bridge should or should not cost because you are what? Why not move discussion to an educational level by providing us with a bill of quantity or similar cost estimate to show precisely what you think the bridge should cost so we can all hail you as someone who backs accusations with fact?
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by kobenol(m): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2013
Mr Aboki: I still remember how Ndi Yoruba abused me when I said that this Makola Bridge is what Fashola builds in Lagos and calls it Pedestrian bridge... grin

So the bridge cant accomodate large vehicles.. grin

3 Billion Naira.. for a One lane Birdge that cant carry large vehicles.

I laugh!!
Quite unfortunate. You are even boasting your knowledge deficiency.
Yes it is a single lane bridge! It accomodates fast lane ALONE! (service lane is at ground level!)
...And trucks SHOULD never ascend it (NOT because its load factor is overbearing...NO) Trucks CAN NOT negotiate a fast-through on such inclination and descent (danger!).
And NO...There is no room for pedestrians on such bridge...ELSE such individual is sorrily re.tarded (mean you would climb that steep ascent? For Cardio?) When you would safely and more easily move on ped. way on the ground, even use the round about as a traffic island.
....Now that's how fast-through flyovers are designed on highways, everywhere!
That bridge will support truck loads, they will only slow down traffic movement with their grinding acceleration and so they can (SHOULD) move on service lane ON THE GROUND.
Any car can as well move on the ground if they dread heights...

Illiterates wouldn't learn...I hear this rubbish farce talk of Mokola bridge every other day and I cant take it again!...ki lo de??

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by agbameta: 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
kobenol:
Quite unfortunate. You are even boasting your knowledge deficiency.
Yes it is a single lane bridge! It accomodates fast lane ALONE! (service lane is at ground level!)
...And trucks SHOULD never ascend it (NOT because its load factor is overbearing...NO) Trucks CAN NOT negotiate a fast-through on such inclination and descent (danger!).
And NO...There is no room for pedestrians on such bridge...ELSE such individual is sorrily re.tarded (mean you would climb that steep ascent? For Cardio?) When you would safely and more easily move on ped. way on the ground, even use the round about as a traffic island.
....Now that's how fast-through flyovers are designed on highways, everywhere!
That bridge will support truck loads, they will only slow down traffic movement with their grinding acceleration and so they can (SHOULD) move on service lane ON THE GROUND.
Any car can as well move on the ground if they dread heights...

Illiterates wouldn't learn...I hear this rubbish jest talk of Mokola bridge and I cant take it again!...ki lo de??

Illiteracy and tribalism is a dangerous mix and since Nigerian is now manufacturing more illiterates than literate people, Nigeria is in deep trouble..

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by deeptesting(m): 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2013
Pukkah:

I would be happy if informed people could prove that the cost of the flyover is too high. Ajimobi is doing well and the people are generally happy with him but that should not be a reason for inflation of contracts. Like an average person, I prefer more to less. If the cost of 1 flyover can build 1 and a half, why not?

In as much as I want Ajimobi and other governors to be scrutinized, we should do so on the basis of facts and not emotions.

By the way, what's your definition of a sub-standard flyover?

When a purported and concocted 3 billion naira is spent on building a bridge that trucks are barred from its usage then it is sub-standard and what is your definition of a standard bridge?
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by agbameta: 1:57pm On Aug 21, 2013
deeptesting:

When a purported and concocted 3 billion naira is spent on building a bridge that trucks are barred from its usage then it is sub-standard and what is your definition of a standard bridge?

Sounds like you are inferring that this bridge is sub standard simply because trucks are not allowed on this bridge, but shouldn't common sense tell you that the best way to increase the life of this bridge is to prevent trucks and heavy load vehicles from plying the bridge and also due to the fact that trucks can not safely climb and maneuver around on this bridge.

If you are going to argue and criticize, feel free to do so, but not with bogus and layman reasonings..

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 2:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
deeptesting:

A standard bridge is the one that serves its purpose and is structurally sound. I think this is simple enough. This is my own definition though.

You should not mix value for money with what I wrote above.

The FG is reconstructing the 127km long Lagos/Ibadan expressway with N167billion (which comes to about N1.3billion) per kilometre. Does it mean the road won't be a standard one?

Inflation of contracts is a different issue which has to be proved. The fact is that you can hardly come across 'uninflated' contracts in Nigeria these days. It is a sign of the deep-seated corruption in Nigeria. To be realistic, I don't think it's something that can be ended in the short-term. The problem is just too much and goes from the private sector to the public sector.

In this case, it would be very useful if you could show that the Mokola bridge was obscenely inflated. I would like to know please. For now, I don't want to be guilty of making a hasty conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Gbawe: 2:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
deeptesting:

Haba !!! For god sake !!! Listen to yourself and stop to ponder the ignorance of your utterance. Why must a condensed and built up City centre host a bridge accommodating HGVs (Heavy goods vehicles) and trucks? Some of you should think of what you are saying !!! Worldwide, how many HGVs do you see in densely built up City centres?

Even a well-travelled or well-read child will appreciate the rudiments of urban planning to know that HGVs, are discouraged from routes taking them through built-up areas as much as possible using many restrictive measures to include height, weight, width and even toll restrictions !!!

Absolutely inane therefore to suggest town planners must factor HGVs and trucks into their calculations, as if such vehicles are in the prime user category, when planning elevated structures in cramped city centres.

The utterance that bridges, especially in heavily built-up areas, must serve all vehicles is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. How can a bridge be substandard because it was not designed or structurally fortified to cater for HGVs? Do we not have literally many thousand examples of such height/weight and width restricted structures worldwide that HGVs and trucks should not use? I guess the road below is "sub-standard". Nonsense.

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by deeptesting(m): 2:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
agbameta:

Sounds like you are inferring that this bridge is sub standard simply because trucks are not allowed on this bridge, but shouldn't common sense tell you that the best way to increase the life of this bridge is to prevent trucks and heavy load vehicles from plying the bridge and also due to the fact that trucks can not safely climb and maneuver around on this bridge.

If you are going to argue and criticize, feel free to do so, but not with bogus and layman reasonings..

I still repeat the fact that 3 billion Naira cannot be spent to build a bridge that trucks cannot safely climb and heavy duty trucks cannot ply....Now using the life span to justify the ban of trucks on the bridge is just ridiculous when you and I know that it is the continuous maintenance of the bridge that will prolong its life span and not the plying of the trucks on it, if at all 3 billion was spent on it..
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Pukkah: 2:10pm On Aug 21, 2013
deeptesting:

I still repeat the fact that 3 billion Naira cannot be spent to build a bridge that trucks cannot safely climb and heavy duty trucks cannot ply....Now using the life span to justify the ban of trucks on the bridge is just ridiculous when you and I know that it is the continuous maintenance of the bridge that will prolong its life span and not the plying of the trucks on it, if at all 3 billion was spent on it..

Do you have the cost components? Do you have the BOQ?

What if it can actually support trucks but they've barred trucks for reasons other than structural strength?

Do you know that heavy duty trucks are also banned from plying 3rd Mainland Bridge?

1 Like

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Princeadedimeji: 2:16pm On Aug 21, 2013
wellmax:

GOD BLESS YOU.......... ABEG ASK HIM OOOOOO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senator Ademola Adeleke Praises God For His Victory At The Tribunal. / To avoid problem, don’t speak Queen’s English to police officers - ACP Abayomi S / 5 Reasons Africans Are Still Poor - Aroms Aigbehi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.