Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,205 members, 7,873,915 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:06 PM

Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) (17284 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / E-Grace Convention 20-14 / Einstein Personal Letter To E. Gutkind - "Religion Is..childish Superstition" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by UjSizzle(f): 12:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
What happened to Shdemidemi
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
It gives me great pleasure to be a part of this convention, it is my prayer that God would through our efforts here give a deeper understanding of his grace to us all and even bring unbelievers to the understanding of the saving grace of Christ Jesus. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:18pm On Aug 30, 2013
Christ and him crucified

Introduction

As the good news about Jesus began to be preached and welcomed among people who were not Jews, the question arose as to whether a person must obey the laws of Moses to be a true Christian. The apostle’s had argued then and established in several of their writings that it was not necessary and that in fact the only sound basis for life in Christ was faith, by which we are put right with God.

It’s so sad that that almost two thousand years after the ultimate sacrifice by Christ many believers continue to mis understand the basis of their faith, the implication of this sacrifice and continue to mix up the gospel with all sorts of heresies whilst trying to achieve salvation through works. Today we hear about all sorts of gospel such as ‘prosperity gospel’ which is based on self and greed and ‘holiness gospel’ which tries to attain salvation through outward works. However Apostle Paul made it crystal clear that there is only one gospel and this gospel is that salvation is purely by the Grace of God and can only be achieved through faith in Christ Jesus having been sacrificed for our sins in obedience to God the Father [Galatians 1:4] Paul further went on to warn about the grave implications of preaching another gospel and even attached a curse to it, in trying to express the gravity of this heresy

Galatians 1:6-9
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

He further warns in Galatians 5:4 that: 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Given the strong warnings Paul gave in the above scriptures and the reality on ground today in Christiandom it becomes imperative that we as Christians should endeavour to understand better this concept of grace based on Christ crucified that forms the bedrock of our faith.
TBC

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:18pm On Aug 30, 2013
Man’s need for salvation

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

The above scripture effectively captures why man is in need of salvation however for edification I would strive to go into a little detail. The need for salvation of man goes back to the garden of Eden when man fell from grace. God had originally created man in his image and likeness to live for ever and probably have some more God like attributes however man rebelled by disobeying God. So God sent man out of the garden of Eden and denied him access to the symbolic tree of life[Jesus] as punishment for his sin. As a result of man’s fall from grace we inherited the nature of sin and the man became enemies with God as God hates sin.

Romans 5:8-10
8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

In essence the salvation plan of God for man is to restore man to God’s original plan in the cosmos. God in his infinite wisdom realizes that there is nothing we can do as man to impress God and attain salvation, however because of his love for us he sent his only begotten son to earth to live and die as man to reconcile mankind to himself. He sent his son to have an earthly experience and to show us the path to follow in other to attain eternal life.
Man’s need for salvation [eternal life] can pretty much be said to be engraved in our dna as no man wants to die we all love life and this eternal life and can only be achieved through faith in Christ Jesus as clearly stated in Romans 3:21-24
21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2013
Need for Christ’s sacrifice

Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

Given the fall of man and our descent into decadence, man had become separated from God. This fact is beautifully captured in: Romans 3:10-18
10 As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”
13 “Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

The need now arises for a perfect mediator between man and God to plead our hopeless case. Unfortunately the priests that acted as mediators in those days were also full of sin as they had to even make sacrifices for their own sin before they can approach God on behalf of others. God in his infinite wisdom then decided to send his only begotten son to live as a man amongst men to show us the path to the kingdom and to be the perfect sacrifice to reconcile man to God and all that was needed to attain salvation became faith in Christ Jesus who is our high priest and the mediator between God and man.
God had initially given the law as a temporary measure to show man that that we are sinners and we are incapable on our own of being worthy of God’s grace. In essence the way of faith in Christ Jesus was given to us by God as it is an easier and better way to attain salvation. Man had proven to be incapable of attaining salvation through his best works of righteousness as the bible clearly states that our best works are like filthy rags in the sight of God.

Galatians 3:21-26
21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.
Children of God
23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,

TBC

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
Faith as the precondition for grace

Romans 4:13-16
13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14[b] For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless[/b], 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.
16 Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.

Romans 10:4
4 Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Acts 15:10-11
10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? 11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

Faith as a precondition for man’s salvation is based on the Abrahamic covenant as explained in Romans 4:13-16. That was God’s promise to Abraham and his descendants by faith. Some would argue about the law being a prerequisite for salvation but as the scriptures rightly said the law was merely introduced to expose man’s failings to make us realize that by our selves we can do nothing

Galatians 3:23-25
23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

It is very important for us as Christians to recognize and accept that salvation is purely by the grace of God and not by our works. Cause if we think it is by our works it would breed pride and God hates pride. God in his infinite wisdom knowing that if it is by works no human would be saved decided to offer us a much easier path to salvation by sending his son to show us the way and die for the redemption of our sins. One thing I would like to emphasize though is that faith in Christ is not limited to faith/belief in his name, faith in Christ means adhering to his teachings because merely believing in his name and not abiding by his teachings would make us hypocrites who are merely practicing religion and not true faith in Christ Jesus.
Acts 15:10-11 also reiterates that believers are not subject to the law as it is humanly impossible to keep and an unnecessary burden on believers who are saved by grace. It also addresses our modern day Judaizers who are bent on keeping brethren under the law.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
Works inspired by faith

Even though it might seem I am diverting into the “works versus faith” debacle, I can not conclude this presentation without touching on the subject of works inspired by faith. A lot of people tend to mis understand this issue of “works” in Christianity because of the mis understanding between Apostle Paul’s position and that of James. In reality there is no controversy in their positions as the “work” Paul was writing about as not necessary were works of the law. However James was talking about works[good deeds] inspired by faith. As Christians works inspired by faith must be manifest in us as evidence of our faith otherwise our faith is in vain as is stated in

James 2:14-18
14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

What the passage is saying essential is if you do truly have faith in Christ Jesus then you would follow him in truth. Following him in truth means keeping his commandments the greatest of which is love. Now is it possible to love your fellow man without helping him in times of need? This scripture is also a major indictment on most believers and even churches who do not show love to their fellow men. Some churches are fond of praying for the needy amongst them when they are actually in a position to physically and financially help them. They conveniently forget that church collections was primarily for the needy in the churches established by the apostles and it is the church’s Christ ordained responsibility to take care of the needy amongst them.
So it’s very important for us as people of faith to genuinely show our faith in Christ Jesus by adhering to his teachings by loving others and putting this love to work through good needs as Christ loves us otherwise our faith would be in vain. I cannot but end this section with one of my favorite and most inspiring passages in the bible which explains the christian love concept in detail and was written by no less than the great Apostle Paul

1 Corinthians 13:1-13

Love

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2013
Conclusion

In writing this presentation I have tried to be as concise as possible as I know most of us don’t have the patience to read long epistles. I do acknowledge that there might be one or two loose ends that I didn’t thrash out properly due to space/ time constraints and also because I believe other presenters would address some of these issues in their presentations but I would be most oblige to thrash them out as the spirit leads should questions arise that need to be addressed based on this presentation. However it is my belief that I have been able to shed a little light on the concept of Christ crucified and what it means to have faith in Christ crucified.
I also feel highly honored and blessed to have been given this opportunity to share the word with our Christian and non Christian brethren on this forum I appreciate you all. I also want to make a big shout out to the organizers of this convention who were inspired by God to organize it and for all the hard work they put into making it a success. May the grace of our lord Jesus Christ be with us all Amen.

Concluded smiley

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2013
@All
kindly bear with me as i would be editting my presentation shortly to make for easier reading smiley
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Candour(m): 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2013
DrummaBoy: Opening Prayer: Lord, we thank you for how the grace convention proceeded yesterday. We ask that you will help our teachers in their presentation today and as many that read them will be blessed in Jesus name. Amen!

Amen
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 12:48pm On Aug 30, 2013
Pastor Kun: @All
kindly bear with me as i would be editting my presentation shortly to make for easier reading smiley

Thank you Pastor Kun. Well done.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 12:49pm On Aug 30, 2013
uj_sizzle: What happened to Shdemidemi

We got in touch with him. He will still be presenting his paper as the convention progresses.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by omsyhadex(m): 12:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
Good Write Up
My Question.......Do we have equal grace or more grace than another person?
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 1:07pm On Aug 30, 2013
omsyhadex: Good Write Up

Yes as long as we accept Christ we all have equal grace. I believe to two scriptures below would shed more light on your question.

Romans 3:22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile

Romans 4:16 Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Goshen360(m): 1:16pm On Aug 30, 2013
Great things are happening already!
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
Started from the top, now I'm finally here..

Interesting thread, homer pls dress make I siddon.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by PastorKun(m): 1:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
musKeeto: Started from the top, now I'm finally here..

Interesting thread, homer pls dress make I siddon.

Welcome Mr Mosquito smiley may grace be upon you. wink
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 1:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
Pastor Kun:

They (churches) conveniently forget that church collections was primarily for the needy in the churches established by the apostles and it is the church’s Christ ordained responsibility to take care of the needy amongst them.

I like this one!
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by omsyhadex(m): 2:14pm On Aug 30, 2013
contributions
Grace is God's WILLINGNESS to be involved in the affairs of Men
Grace can not be EARNED Romans 11 vs 6; IT is a free gift from God
The greatest grace is SALVATION then gift of Life which justifies grace is for everybody
May God give us more grace In Jesus Name. James 4 vs 6
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 30, 2013
DrummaBoy:

I like this one!
Ofcos, you were in my thread a short while constituting a nuisance.Thanks for the insults. God bless you. I am here already. cheesy
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 30, 2013
Bidam: Ofcos, you were in my thread a short while constituting a nuisance.Thanks for the insults. God bless you. I am here already. cheesy
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by DrummaBoy(m): 2:45pm On Aug 30, 2013
omsyhadex: Good Write Up

In addition to what Pastor Kun had said to you, I will say we all start with equal grace. "Equal" in the sense that God gives everyone something. But some could have five talents, three or one but we are equal in the sense that we have all been given something.

In regards to the graces that follow salvation, we all have the same. We have all been equally saved through grace; we all have the same Spirit; and we all are going to the same heaven. But we can grow in all the graces we have been given by utilizing them for good works, just as Kun has mentioned. So that at the end of the race, some will have more graces than others. The reason being that they have used their own graces more than others. And I think it is on this bases we will be rewarded.

I read it somewhere, were somebody said that though the church should be taught the gospel of grace, the danger arises when people do not use their grace and are just "feeding" on grace, grace and grace. Grace is given to be utilized. The starting point is the knowledge of the grace given; but it must be extended to doing something with it.

I believe other teachers will do justice to this further. So the convention will be focused on revealing God's grace to sinners, helping present believers to comprehend the gospel of grace and encouraging us all to use that grace so we may grow in it.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 30, 2013
ATMC: bikonunu nu oooo k' anyi startizianu na
wow this yall grace convention is off the chain. yall got someone speaking in tongues already

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Alwaystrue(f): 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2013
@Enigma & @Pastor Kun thanks for your posts on grace.
Grace is indeed powerful and for the very fact that the bible says that Jesus is full of grace and truth in John 1:14. It shows that Jesus is grace personified while He walked the earth and now that He is in heaven and He did and does everything with grace. Praise the Lord!
I look forward to the submission of Ayoku who I believe will discuss on the garce in us as Paul said that it is no longer us that lives but it is Christ that lives in us so we have the the fullness of grace living in us and as such this would be shown in the way we think, which will affect the way we act, talk and relate so we live the full expression of sons of God. Beyond scratching the surface of grace, grace is empowerment and enablement bestowed on the weak to do beyond their perceived capabilities(II Corinthians 12:9).
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by MostHigh: 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2013
obadiah777: wow this yall grace convention is off the chain. yall got someone speaking in tongues already

grin

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by veave(f): 4:06pm On Aug 30, 2013
I must confess that I'm really blessed by the teachings an commitment shown by everyone... this is an eye opener for me... God bless y'all...

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by omsyhadex(m): 4:09pm On Aug 30, 2013
DrummaBoy:

In addition to what Pastor Kun had said to you, I will say we all start with equal grace. "Equal" in the sense that God gives everyone something. But some could have five talents, three or one but we are equal in the sense that we have all been given something.

In regards to the graces that follow salvation, we all have the same. We have all been equally saved through grace; we all have the same Spirit; and we all are going to the same heaven. But we can grow in all the graces we have been given by utilizing them for good works, just as Kun has mentioned. So that at the end of the race, some will have more graces than others. The reason being that they have used their own graces more than others. And I think it is on this bases we will be rewarded.

I read it somewhere, were somebody said that though the church should be taught the gospel of grace, the danger arises when people do not use their grace and are just "feeding" on grace, grace and grace. Grace is given to be utilized. The starting point is the knowledge of the grace given; but it must be extended to doing something with it.

I believe other teachers will do justice to this further. So the convention will be focused on revealing God's grace to sinners, helping present believers to comprehend the gospel of grace and encouraging us all to use that grace so we may grow in it.
@Drummaboy Thankz for the explanation I love it, May God give us power to utilize our grace for Him and not to abuse it in Jesus name.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Goshen360(m): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2013
obadiah777: wow this yall grace convention is off the chain. yall got someone speaking in tongues already

One of the teachers should lay hands on you so you can speak in tongues... cheesy
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 30, 2013
Goshen360:

One of the teachers should lay hands on you so you can speak in tongues... cheesy
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by soapdish(f): 5:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
I have been truly blessed cheesy. thank God for His Grace.
Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by ATMC(f): 5:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
*falls off seat...wey the ushers?

1 Like

Re: Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) by Ajibam: 5:24pm On Aug 30, 2013
Am so late,,,,
The network Cause it..

Am truly blessed..God bless the speaker and the word in our hearts.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

A Thread For The Intelligent. Let's Put Critical Thought To Work / What Is The Biblical Procedures For Burial? / David Oyedepo's Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.