Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,818 members, 7,872,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:58 PM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44744 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Mesopotamia(f): 2:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
Intelligence is the storage or ability to accumulate pre-existing and new information,make logical assumptions,having calculative aptitude & analytical capabilities.
Having a couple of these attributes makes you smart and having them all may make you lose your mind.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Johnson1989: 5:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
res ipsa loquitor
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 21, 2013
Creative mind: I have watched with contemptible dismay, reserved fury and a high level of tolerance how the aim of this medium got modified in the hands of school advertising magicians. I strongly hold that it is becoming unbecoming of students of our status to stoop so low and defeat such a wonderful objective. My mind even got troubled as to why some students who are neither known nor heard in moot, mock, debate or oratory contest would come to this platform to make a name for their schools just like a staff of a chinese doll shop whose product is going out of trend is expected to act. The pride in law lies in its humility, a good product needs no advertisement To this effect, i humbly communicate my intention to excuse myself from this thread..
bro, kindly stay. i'm happy we have people like you. Do you know Olumide Abifarin? He graduated from your sch last year. He served in LSS legislative arm
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2013
Fentoluwa: bro, kindly stay. i'm happy we have people like you. Do you know Olumide Abifarin? He graduated from your sch last year. He served in LSS legislative arm
. Sure brother. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2013
is it a must law students serve? is it even required? +how much does NLS cost?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 11:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
lana_Vello: is it a must law students serve? is it even required? +how much does NLS cost?
yeah i think it is. Nigerian law school right now cost between 250 - 300 thousand naira but their fees keep increasing ooo.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 12:20am On Sep 22, 2013
Creative mind: . Sure brother. Thanks
thanks man,he is my big bro. He finished at Enugu campus of NLS last month. let's keep this thread moving. what do you have for us? any experience worth sharing after five years in sch...100L students here in my sch are refer to as "legal fetus" now in 200L they still refer to us as "babies"
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by bemagnify: 7:39am On Sep 22, 2013
any NDU law lad here...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 9:08am On Sep 22, 2013
gentlefada: yeah i think it is. Nigerian law school right now cost between 250 - 300 thousand naira but their fees keep increasing oo.
service b4 law skul or after law skul?
besides,is it profitable to practice law wit jez LL.B?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Excelboi(m): 9:19am On Sep 22, 2013
lana_Vello:
Usually after law school. Having just a LL.B, you cant practice with that because you must be called to bar to practice and that is after law school B.L
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 11:44am On Sep 22, 2013
lana_Vello:
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 11:54am On Sep 22, 2013
lana_Vello:
service is usually after law skul but there are times when student cant go to law skul in their year of graduation so they go for service instead of staying at home. On the other issue that u raised i think thats entirely up to u. If cooperate law is ur calling for instance, u might need to get a masters to progress. On the other hand if its litigation its not mandatory and many litigators have succeded with just their first degree. So the decision is entirely urs....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Yahoo1(m): 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2013
mehn....one of the most educating thread in NL.

keep it up guys.....!
i did'nt know Law school is expensive. hmmmm
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2013
gentlefada: yeah i think it is. Nigerian law school right now cost between 250 - 300 thousand naira but their fees keep increasing ooo.
Seriously,this fee is relatively high.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 1:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
I have a question about the law school..I want to know how applicants are scattered across the six law schools in the country..Do they get the chance to choose their preferred campuses or it's the sole responsibility of the council for legal education?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by benity: 1:39pm On Sep 22, 2013
Please any part 5 law student in any university which ASUU strike didnot affect. Please state ur university
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 6:24pm On Sep 22, 2013
phtemie: I have a question about the law school..I want to know how applicants are scattered across the six law schools in the country..Do they get the chance to choose their preferred campuses or it's the sole responsibility of the council for legal education?
to the best of my knowledge yes, but if the school u chose is not available you get posted to another one.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
phtemie:
Seriously,this fee is relatively high.
yeah it is and my fear is the fact that it keeps increasing. Remind me of one of my lecturers saying that 'law is not a profession for the poor'.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2013
benity: Please any part 5 law student in any university which ASUU strike didnot affect. Please state ur university
not in part 5 but i think my skul's part five is not affected by the strike. My skul is OAU
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
Hello my bros in the house,barristers,nd philosophers i greet u all sir am new in this tread nd am also an aspirant of OOU so i want to knw the differences between civil LAW ND LAW cos OOU av only civil law
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 22, 2013
Samoranopapa: Hello my bros in the house,barristers,nd philosophers i greet u all sir am new in this tread nd am also an aspirant of OOU so i want to knw the differences between civil LAW ND LAW cos OOU av only civil law
kindly check page 13. A question related to this has been answered before
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
Fentoluwa: kindly check page 13. A question related to this has been answered before
.ok sir thanks.so can I knw more abt u
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 6:40am On Sep 23, 2013
gentlefada: to the best of my knowledge yes, but if the school u chose is not available you get posted to another one.
Thanks sir..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 6:43am On Sep 23, 2013
gentlefada: yeah it is and my fear is the fact that it keeps increasing. Remind me of one of my lecturers saying that 'law is not a profession for the poor'.
Really?..God will see us through sha..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 24, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 8:18am On Sep 25, 2013
@Creative mind.I've skimmed through the two articles you referred to and I must confess they are "spot on".I also ran through your Anthology and other articles of yours and they are also on point.

Back to the matter.Here is my dissertation..To me,I think the lecturer's assertion that "law is not a profession for the poor" is right to a bit extent..Especially,using Nigeria as a case study..Some of my points are reiterations of some things you said in your articles..

Starting with the Law school fee;250 or 300 thousand..After paying such huge amount,five to six months after graduation,you will still be throwing your certificate around looking for a decent law firm to work..And Nigerian universities are churning out not less than 4000 lawyers every year..So,the legal sector is already saturated by many unemployed lawyers..And talking of sole practice,it is not also easy..You really need huge capital to set up a law firm and to incorporate your firm..Don't forget other expenses such as employing a secretary and remunerating him/her adequately..That's why most successful lawyers are those from rich homes,politicians' children.e.t.c..They use their political connection to secure jobs for their children in reputable firms..Talking about the solo practice also,they have more than enough to set up law firms for their wards..
The senior lawyers on the other hand are not helping matters..They pay meagre salaries to the junior lawyers under them..I've seen lawyers being paid as low as 30,000 as monthly salary..What rubbish!!..After spending 5 years in the Uni and 8 months in the Law school(almost 6 years)..Imagine!..Those senior lawyers are busy amassing wealth for themselves and their offsprings whilst they pay peanuts to the upcoming ones..So,discouraging it is!..Now tell me,how would one uphold justice under such situations?..That's why more than 60% of practising nigerian lawyers are corrupt..
Those who don't want to get swayed by the tides of corruption always suffer a lot before hitting it hard..Only few do make it easily..That's why you see a lot of Law graduates working in other sectors like Banking and others..According to the NBA,there are 75000+ registered lawyers in Nigeria both the dead and those alive..But the truth is that out of like 30000+ alive today not more than 20000 are actually practising..Others have ventured into other sectors..A very good example is the popular actress Funke Akindele.a.k.a Jennifer..She studied law in the University of Lagos(Unilag) but she headed for the entertainment sector.

So to me,I don't think the lecturer is totally wrong..Most especially using Nigeria as "case study".

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 8:33am On Sep 25, 2013
So,I think what we should be worried about is the way forward..We need pragmatism in tackling those problems..Just like someone once said on this thread "practical panaceas"..Not just chattering same words over and over again.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 9:45am On Sep 25, 2013
phtemie: @Creative mind.I've skimmed through the two articles you referred to and I must confess they are "spot on".I also ran through your Anthology and other articles of yours and they are also on point.

Back to the matter.Here is my dissertation..To me,I think the lecturer's assertion that "law is not a profession for the poor" is right to a bit extent..Especially,using Nigeria as a case study..Some of my points are reiterations of some things you said in your articles..

Starting with the Law school fee;250 or 300 thousand..After paying such huge amount,five to six months after graduation,you will still be throwing your certificate around looking for a decent law firm to work..And Nigerian universities are churning out not less than 4000 lawyers every year..So,the legal sector is already saturated by many unemployed lawyers..And talking of sole practice,it is not also easy..You really need huge capital to set up a law firm and to incorporate your firm..Don't forget other expenses such as employing a secretary and remunerating him/her adequately..That's why most successful lawyers are those from rich homes,politicians' children.e.t.c..They use their political connection to secure jobs for their children in reputable firms..Talking about the solo practice also,they have more than enough to set up law firms for their wards..
The senior lawyers on the other hand are not helping matters..They pay meagre salaries to the junior lawyers under them..I've seen lawyers being paid as low as 30,000 as monthly salary..What rubbish!!..After spending 5 years in the Uni and 8 months in the Law school(almost 6 years)..Imagine!..Those senior lawyers are busy amassing wealth for themselves and their offsprings whilst they pay peanuts to the upcoming ones..So,discouraging it is!..Now tell me,how would one uphold justice under such situations?..That's why more than 60% of practising nigerian lawyers are corrupt..
Those who don't want to get swayed by the tides of corruption always suffer a lot before hitting it hard..Only few do make it easily..That's why you see a lot of Law graduates working in other sectors like Banking and others..According to the NBA,there are 75000+ registered lawyers in Nigeria both the dead and those alive..But the truth is that out of like 30000+ alive today not more than 20000 are actually practising..Others have ventured into other sectors..A very good example is the popular actress Funke Akindele.a.k.a Jennifer..She studied law in the University of Lagos(Unilag) but she headed for the entertainment sector.

So to me,I don't think the lecturer is totally wrong..Most especially using Nigeria as "case study".
Well, good right up. But, point of correction. Not everybody dat study law in university is a lawyer. U are only a lawyer wen u grab a B.L. in d Nigeria Law School. So, in d example u gave above, Funke Akindele is a mere Law Graduate and not a Lawyer because she did not attend the Nigeria Law School. So She's not a perfect instance to be cited there. Goodluck.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 25, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2013
zezeny:
Well, good right up. But, point of correction. Not everybody dat study law in university is a lawyer. U are only a lawyer wen u grab a B.L. in d Nigeria Law School. So, in d example u gave above, Funke Akindele is a mere Law Graduate and not a Lawyer because she did not attend the Nigeria Law School. So She's not a perfect instance to be cited there. Goodluck.
Oh!..Never knew she didn't attend NLS..Thanks for the correction.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 1:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
Creative mind: Thanks for the intellectual excursion you engaged in by reading those articles. However, I think if law is left in the hands of the political godfathers and people with the command tone, the purpose of law and justice is defeated already. Even with the erudition and struggles of the likes of Gani Fawehinmi, Keyamo and Falana, the common men still do not exist in Nigeria, though we think we do but with the scheme of things, our interests are not in consideration. What then would be the fate of you and I if law is left for the rich and creamy? Before I go, i think i have a way out. I believe no man is born ungifted, most times law students take law to the head that when the going seems tough at a point, they got punched out of trend by the blow of challenges. I think we should discover our potentials as they can be placed side by side with our profession. E.g, a poet is definitely going to find it useful when law is getting tough for him or perhaps that touch of literary erudition can distinguish him among other learned colleagues and this will in turn place him at a better advantage. If you are conversant with the rulings of Justices and Judges like Lord Denning, Niki Tobi, Kayode Esho etc. You'll realize they aren't just learned minds but poets and literary genius. If not absolutely, to an extent, it has placed them in a higher level and distinguished them from their colleagues on the bench.
I think I get your point.It's all about individual talents and thinking outside the box.Not just thinking being a lawyer is a criterion for being rich and well-to-do.Possessing additional qualities would distinguish us among our peers.And that's very true.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

Landlord Cancels 2020 Rent For Students Living In His Hostel / LAUTECH Class 16 Signs Out In Style (Photos) / Moment Secondary School Students Outran Police Officer In Owerri, Imo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.