Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,875 members, 7,876,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:53 PM

Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) (26423 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Troops Recover Eight More Towns In Yobe, Adamawa. Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
tonychristopher: yesterday a Yoruba man was disappointed when he learnt that the shoprite that was located in Ibadan was about to be shot down because of low patronage due to low income,poverty and conservative mentality of that rusty old city. It was touted and joked that the Ibadan man can't comprehend why he should buy a price tag commodity while the shoprite that is located in Enugu there has been plans for expansion of the project. As an enlightened mind… what does this tell you. [/b]
How does this correlate with the topic?

2 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Arysexy(m): 4:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
@ OP nice job but d pix of akure u posted are mostly buildings from FUTA. Am presently in akure for some assignment isikan and oba adeshida road to be precise, d govnor is tryin with road but mehn na here I know say mud house get upstair with wooden staircase. The indigenes need to build modern houses here. All am seeing are old building dotting smooth roads built by d govnor.

2 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Anvaller: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
Tinyemeka: Umuahia pics: The medical facility at Amakama, GTB PLC opposite FMC and Mecure (another med facility) also along Aba road. smiley

I see pics of ICB PLC. How has that got to serve as a criterion to show the level of 'development' of a town?

Thank u buddy, this is exactly what I was talking about but the OP failed to see the flaws in his own post even after pointing it out to him. U can not just take beautiful pictures of buildings and call it boom, u may call it beautiful sites but BOOM is a different thing entirely.

By his logic, that means u can just go to the bankrupt Detroit, take beautiful pictures of the city skyline and say "Wow see how Detroit is booming!" we can agree that the skyline is beautiful but it doesn't mean Boom when the beautiful buildings are virtually empty. BOOM means jobs and more jobs for ppl and as a result influx of population and expansion of infrastructures thgat cater for the influx. I hope OP will understand this time.

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by samsolite(m): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Evestar200(f): 4:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
Abagworo:

To an outsider Uvwie is Warri and Effurun is Warri. More like most people think Nkpor is Onitsha or Ariaria is Aba even though iin different LGA's from the city.
my dear,,, the real warri is ghetto and those area are igbudu,, iyara,,okumagba,,okere-urhobo,,ekurede-urhobo,,ekurede-itsekiri,,etc,all those place are ghost mode
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by zenti99(m): 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2013
Arysexy: @ OP nice job but d pix of akure u posted are mostly buildings from FUTA. Am presently in akure for some assignment isikan and oba adeshida road to be precise, d govnor is tryin with road but mehn na here I know say mud house get upstair with wooden staircase. The indigenes need to build modern houses here. All am seeing are old building dotting smooth roads built by d govnor.
dats nt true jst one or two is from futa. i study there
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
Arysexy: @ OP nice job but d pix of akure u posted are mostly buildings from FUTA. Am presently in akure for some assignment isikan and oba adeshida road to be precise, d govnor is tryin with road but mehn na here I know say mud house get upstair with wooden staircase. The indigenes need to build modern houses here. All am seeing are old building dotting smooth roads built by d govnor.

Apart from the senate building, which other one is from FUTA?

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Inoknowbook: 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
Anvaller: Just a very few of these pictures are actually relevant when we are talking of developments. The problem with Nigerians is that we still do not know what development means. The OP posted several pictures of just a house that is well painted or a Bank building or just a random mansion that was probably built with stolen money and some hotels or estate with manicured gardens. He even showed pictures of Government houses. Now tell me, do all these things show that the cities are booming?

If u want to show booming places, lets see stuffs like tourist attraction that is well attended, or industrial terrains, or provision of infrastructure that massively benefits the masses irrespective of class. E.G a mass transit system like a tram or light rails. That's development. Or eradication of slums and replacing it with modern well planned housing projects targeted at at least the middle class and not the rich few. That is development. If u want to continue to show beautiful random pictures like these and say its development, then all states in Nigeria are booming.

Thank you my brother. I had wanted to comment until I saw your comment, it's like you read my mind totally. Rossikk is a paid shrill for the government, but a very poor one for that matter. I doubt seriously, that he has the mental capacity to understand what development means and entails. So, when I saw this post showing off government buildings as signs of development, my mind immediately reverted to Rossikk, as the culprit. That's very typical of him. Do you know that he stated in one of his comments that his vulcanizer is a member of the middle class in Nigeria solely because he drinks one bottle of big stout everyday? Furthermore, he used that in his pathetic attempt to prove that Nigerians do not live on less than $2 a day. Tell me, how can argue with such a person? Mind you, he's very uncouth in his rejoinders.

2 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ShineIt: 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2013
Another great thread from Rossikk.

Bobo see Waffi

Warri no dey carry last
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Odaveboy(m): 5:29pm On Sep 05, 2013
Nice one.........but wait ooo....na my school senate building be that oooo (FUTA)......I rep AKURE.......
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2013
Anvaller:

Thank u buddy, this is exactly what I was talking about but the OP failed to see the flaws in his own post even after pointing it out to him. U can not just take beautiful pictures of buildings and call it boom, u may call it beautiful sites but BOOM is a different thing entirely.

By his logic, that means u can just go to the bankrupt Detroit, take beautiful pictures of the city skyline and say "Wow see how Detroit is booming!" we can agree that the skyline is beautiful but it doesn't mean Boom when the beautiful buildings are virtually empty. BOOM means jobs and more jobs for ppl and as a result influx of population and expansion of infrastructures thgat cater for the influx. I hope OP will understand this time.
Detroit is an invalid example, as it's a city on the way down, with falling GDP and declining productivity. Even construction is declining. These Nigerian towns are flowing in the opposite direction to Detroit, unless you haven't been following Nigerian economic trends and statistics. Also, "beautiful buildings" which you consider irrelevant are a veritable indicator of an economic upswing. The construction sector is booming, it means, meaning more jobs for those working in that sector and related fields, including skilled and unskilled labour.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by juman(m): 5:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
Towns and cities that do not have basic infrastructure.

Nonsense and concobility.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Davo93(m): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
juman: Towns and cities thhat do not have basic infrastructure.

for your mind undecided
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2013
juman: Towns and cities thhat do not have basic infrastructure.

"Basic infrastructure" is an incremental thing especially in developing nations. As the cities develop, more "basic infrastructure" is added to them. Most cities do not develop with basic infrastructure already intact, unless purpose built cities like Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Evestar200(f): 5:52pm On Sep 05, 2013
Shine It: Another great thread from Rossikk.

Bobo see Waffi

Warri no dey carry last
ok warri

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by juman(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2013
Rossikk: "basic infrastructure" is an incremental thing especially in developing nations. As the cities develop, more "basic infrastructure" is added to them. Most cities do not develop with basic infrastructure already intact, unless purpose built cities like Abuja.

grin

The bolded made me laugh, Boss.

May be it would be added in next century if nigeria remains as one.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by EasternLeopard: 5:58pm On Sep 05, 2013
Real Development is not determined by the presence of few beautiful building but by the overall well being of the people which at times do manifest in the in their material well being eg quality/quantity housing, education, health, finance etc
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 05, 2013
I no know book:

Thank you my brother. I had wanted to comment until I saw your comment, it's like you read my mind totally. Rossikk is a paid shrill for the government, but a very poor one for that matter. I doubt seriously, that he has the mental capacity to understand what development means and entails. So, when I saw this post showing off government buildings as signs of development, my mind immediately reverted to Rossikk, as the culprit. That's very typical of him. Do you know that he stated in one of his comments that his vulcanizer is a member of the middle class in Nigeria solely because he drinks one bottle of big stout everyday? Furthermore, he used that in his pathetic attempt to prove that Nigerians do not live on less than $2 a day. Tell me, how can argue with such a person? Mind you, he's very uncouth in his rejoinders.

You have just described Rossikki and his antics on this forum. It is meaningless to argue with Rossikki because he is a photographer. How do you argue with a photographer? Imagine some of these pictures were posted on the internet for more than eight years. I have seen these pictures before. Most of these pictures have nothing to do with development. Randomly pulling pictures from the internet to justify development is fallacy.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by EasternLeopard: 6:03pm On Sep 05, 2013
All these towns mentioned, how many of its inhabitants are experiencing increase in quality and quantity housing education health finance roads electricity etc. Pls dont mistaken the construction of few beautiful buildings for development.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
juman:

grin

The bolded made me laugh, Boss.

May be it would be added in next century if nigeria remains as one.

It's already being added. Many of the pics showed basic infrastructure like roads, bridges, public housing etc. In fact your ability to post on NL is a sign of provision of basic communications infrastructure.

3 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Yeske2(m): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
what is yenogoa doing there? Akure, Warri, Oron, Dutse etc i know but fill up the area before giving us pix of yenogoa.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 6:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
EasternLeopard: All these towns mentioned, how many of its inhabitants are experiencing increase in quality and quantity housing education health finance roads electricity etc. Pls dont mistaken the construction of few beautiful buildings for development.

If you were one of the millions of Nigerian labourers, carpenters, bricklayers, surveyors, architects, gardeners, insurance brokers, estate agents, lawyers, bankers and others who earn their living from PRECISELY THOSE ''beautiful buildings'' you wouldn't type this.

For those MILLIONS of Nigerians involved directly or indirectly in the BOOMING construction sector, the more of such ''unimportant'', ''useless'' ''beautiful buildings'' we have, the better they can feed their families.

Construction ‘To Become World’s Fastest Growing’ in Nigeria

Construction growth in Nigeria will be the fastest of all markets, according to the latest 10-year forecast from Global Construction Perspectives and Oxford Economics.
The new study says China will overtake the US as the world’s biggest construction market by 2018, but that the fastest growth will happen in Nigeria

http://stratsisincite./2009/11/14/construction-to-become-worlds-fastest-growing-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by agbameta: 6:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
Rossikk: Well, in principle, yes, capitals should not be termed unheralded, but in reality, how often do we hear Akure mentioned in national discourse? Or Dutse? In fact Dutse might as well not exist for the majority of Nigerians!

This is not only what you think, this is a reflection of your own ignorance. The fact that you know nothing about Jigawa state in Nigeria doesn't mean other people don't.

We've discussed Jigawa several times on NL and Jigawa is not a village or dot on the Nigerian map that people know nothing about.

In fact, with just N115 budget, Jigawa is doing way better than states with N500 billion oil budget like Akwa Ibom.

There tons of Videos on Youtube detailing Jigawa's emerging status..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obzoxo7xaeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UNzyAHU4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6tKddcmhBE
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by nuceo: 6:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
BarryX: Sometimes one sees some things and your lost patriotism suddenly resurface. And you see or read another some -- the hatred comes again .
What a country of stark contrast and opposing stories.
Like seriously-- Ikot Ikpene has an open park --
Damn-- I'm moving from this dense den of wolves and smelly gutters
Is Warri status as a city really "unheralded"??
Yenogoa ain't a bad idea either !
akpabio has really transformed ikot ekpene
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2013
agbameta:

This is not only what you think, this is a reflection of your own ignorance. The fact that you know nothing about Jigawa state in Nigeria doesn't mean other people don't.
Why are you so antagonistic? And kindly ditch your presumptuous comments.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by agbameta: 6:57pm On Sep 05, 2013
Rossikk: Why are you so antagonistic?

I don't think I was, just stating the obvious.

And nothing presumptuous about what I said because what you said and what I responded to is still up there..
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ibiso1986: 7:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
Abagworo: Of all these towns you listed, only Warri and Akure are large. Maybe Markurdi and Yenagoa are moderate. The rest are small. I've been to all but Dutse. It is argued in most quaters that Onne is part of Port-Harcourt city. In Rivers State Obigbo is a larger town than Onne while Bori, Okrika, Omoku, Buguma and Degema are also larger towns than Onne. Bonny is also larger.
true story my brother

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Carlmax(m): 7:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
rodeo0070: I support this especially, Akure

I thought Akure was crap until I was posted there for youth service... That city is so orderly
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Carlmax(m): 7:24pm On Sep 05, 2013
rodeo0070: I support this especially, Akure

I thought Akure was crap until I was posted there for youth service... That city is so orderly with one of the best road network and functional intra city transport service in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ikedaniel15: 7:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
_
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by dokunbam(m): 8:32pm On Sep 05, 2013
Democracy is working
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On Sep 05, 2013
dokunbam: Democracy is working

I absolutely agree. In the days of military rule, these places were so neglected that you were lucky to see a single tarred road running through them... and forget about sidewalks, streetlights and all those additions we now take for granted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Northern Elders Write Buhari "2016 Budget Not Favourable To The North / Who Is The Most Loved And Most Popular Senator On Social Media? / Abdullahi Bodejo: Tinubu Won’t Be President Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.