Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,896 members, 7,876,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:28 PM

Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) (26424 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Troops Recover Eight More Towns In Yobe, Adamawa. Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 12:39am On Sep 06, 2013
ujoinme: just googled modern mud houses, am shocked it seems the indians and middle easterners have advanced with this technology there is a hotel in india built out of mud http://www.mandawahotels.com/index.html

I think we need another 10 years or so to get rid of our colonial hangover in Nigeria, then we can start to think clearly like those Indians.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ujoinme: 12:45am On Sep 06, 2013
^^^Modern Mud houses may be just what might mitigate the housing problems in Rural nigeria as it is very easy to improve a technology that you already have than to copy one that is foreign.

on a lighter note reinforcing mud with dangote cement to build modern mud houses in nigeria will be as easy as mixing wheat flour + cassava flour to make cassava bread that Nigerian govt. is promoting dont you think? lol
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Rossikk(m): 12:57am On Sep 06, 2013
lol.. I wonder what Dangote will have to say about that. wink
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ujoinme: 1:03am On Sep 06, 2013
Rossikk: lol.. I wonder what Dangote will have to say about that. wink

Am pretty sure he will like the idea as long as it uses only Dangote cement and not the competition. I already read recently where he is advocating the use of concrete for road construction in nigera. that dude is a smart son- of- a -gun
Can you imagine the profit that will accrue to him if that idea catches on?

Those are the kinds of business men we need in Nigeria ! am a Fan of his.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 06, 2013
ujoinme:

Am pretty sure he will like the idea as long as it uses only Dangote cement and not the competition. I already read recently where he is advocating the use of concrete for road construction in nigera. that dude is a smart son- of- a -gun
Can you imagine the profit that will accrue to him if that idea catches on?

Those are the kinds of business men we need in Nigeria ! am a Fan of his.

....as long as it uses only dangote cement and not competition?
....so dat he sells one bag @ 10000!
Dats not d kind of biz men i like. I despise selfishness and hatred-for competition with all my urine.
OBJ wey dey do dat kyn thing wit him don hand over.
Say no to monopoly
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 06, 2013
Rossikk: ^^^ You better believe mud-built houses can have staircases, as shown by this traditional 2 storey house in northern Nigeria:

at least, not mud houses everywhere in a capital city.
That one signifies sth sinister
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by alphaomega(m): 7:20am On Sep 06, 2013
Abagworo:

Don't believe what you read on Nairaland. There are rich people everywhere in Nigeria and there are as much opportunities. I legally made more than a million Dollars at 25 without having anything to do with Lagos. As we have Young Shall Grow in Lagos, so did we have ABC in Owerri, Ekenedilichukwu in Onitsha, Agofure in Benin, Chidiebere in Aba and so on. Ogbuawa is based in Nnewi and has always based there. I believe Rivers State has much higher middle class in ratio when compared with Lagos.

bro....share ur knowledge with moi. I dont mind to make my own million dollars @30 oooh.. Inbox me some ideas I can use pls.

Oleg.abramovich@live.com

let me know whn u do d inbox thns.
Thx a million dollars.. :-)
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by BabaO2: 8:03am On Sep 06, 2013
Booming ? How...?
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by mandarin: 11:22am On Sep 06, 2013
tonychristopher:

THANKS FOR PUTTING THE RECORDS STRAIGHT.... THE MAN WAS SO ANNOYED THAT IBADAN WITH ALL THESE YEARS AS ONE OF THE OLDEST CITY IS STILL RUSTY ALLOWING NW TOWNS TO OVERTAKE THEM ECONOMICALLY ..... HE EVEN SAID THAT THE SHOPRITE IS CLOSING DOWN AND WHAT PEOPLE GO THERE TO DO IS JUST SNAP PICTURE. HE TRIED COMPARING THE SHOPRITE THAT IS IN IBADAN WITH THE NUGU OWN. HE FELT SOBAD THAT NEW TOWNS LIKE OWERRI,ASABA UYO THAT WAS MADE CAPITAL AFTER TH WAR HAS OVRTAKEN THE OLD IBADAN.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANYBODY TO DEVLOP OR INDUSTRILIZE THOSE OSHOGBO,IBADAN ROUTE, I THINK YOU SHOULD UNDERSTUDY NNEWI,ONITSHA AND ABA, THEN LOOK AT CALABAR,PH AND UYO

IT THEN MEANS THAT WHEN THE IBADAN GUYS DOES THIS, GOOD BUSINESS CAN BE ATTRACTED BUT FOR NOW..... IBADAN SEEMS NOT TO BE INVESTMNT HEAVEN OR HAVEN.... WHAT IS YOUR TAKE

Permit me to disagree with you on this.American retailer Wal- Mart could not succeed in Japan, that did not imply that Japan was a poor economy or that Japanese were poorer than Americans.
Shoprite not selling in Ibadan, if its true anyway and performing well in Enugu is not to infer that Ibadan is poorer than Enugu. I think ranking production in Nigeria will put Ibadan behind only Lagos,Ogun and may be Rivers(i doubt)
Population play a huge part in economic development and the city have got it and of course culture which i think its what will keep any such business at a low ebb in such a city. Majority of residents are conservatives and the city has a well defined traditional network of markets and plenty of shopping marts. Remember for every shoprite you buy your stuffs you throw some of your income out of Nigeria. There is no city in Eastern Nigeria with economic output as Ibadan and i think only few can beat that city in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ujoinme: 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2013
ngozievergreen:

....as long as it uses only dangote cement and not competition?
....so dat he sells one bag @ 10000!
Dats not d kind of biz men i like. I despise selfishness and hatred-for competition with all my urine.
OBJ wey dey do dat kyn thing wit him don hand over.
Say no to monopoly

Monopoly is every businessman dream but only few attain it. Even dangote does not have monopoly of cement business in Nigeria.
Competition fuels innovation and dangote has proven himself in this regard, hes a good competitor. remember before his entrance into the cement biz in Nigeria there were other more established cement manufacturers in the country, he competed and beat them all. He was not intimidated by them! those are the kind of business men that Nigeria needs at the moment real pioneers and above all patriot!

By the way you misconstrued my earlier statement about dangote t'was just a joke.and i can tell you didnt get it.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by anulaxad(m): 4:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
Look at what people are praising,a country that has enough money to have 1st class infrastructure,not even in somalia will this be classified as first classed.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by GooseBaba: 4:53pm On Sep 06, 2013
ujoinme:

Monopoly is every businessman dream but only few attain it. Even dangote does not have monopoly of cement business in Nigeria.
Competition fuels innovation and dangote has proven himself in this regard, hes a good competitor. remember before his entrance into the cement biz in Nigeria there were other more established cement manufacturers in the country, he competed and beat them all. He was not intimidated by them! those are the kind of business men that Nigeria needs at the moment real pioneers and above all patriot!

By the way you misconstrued my earlier statement about dangote t'was just a joke.and i can tell you didnt get it.

Bros.. Did you use the word "competition and Dangote". He is no pioneer. He got his wealth through favored monopoly aided by his paddy in government. I do not emulate Dangote.

Dangote attained Monopoly grandeur during the military era. He did not beat the existing competitors, he cheated his way through government intimidation and Nepotism. How can you use the word "competition" when one man has the sole rights to sell a particular products to a country of over 100 million customers.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by GooseBaba: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2013
anulaxad: Look at what people are praising,a country that has enough money to have 1st class infrastructure,not even in somalia will this be classified as first classed.

People just dey yarn anyhow. Have you been to Somalia..?? Besides, the rot in Nigeria did not start over night. Therefore, you can't have positive growth overnight. Na small small. You forget that first class infrastructure demands first class sustainability.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
mandarin:

Permit me to disagree with you on this.American retailer Wal- Mart could not succeed in Japan, that did not imply that Japan was a poor economy or that Japanese were poorer than Americans.
Shoprite not selling in Ibadan, if its true anyway and performing well in Enugu is not to infer that Ibadan is poorer than Enugu. I think ranking production in Nigeria will put Ibadan behind only Lagos,Ogun and may be Rivers(i doubt)
Population play a huge part in economic development and the city have got it and of course culture which i think its what will keep any such business at a low ebb in such a city. Majority of residents are conservatives and the city has a well defined traditional network of markets and plenty of shopping marts. Remember for every shoprite you buy your stuffs you throw some of your income out of Nigeria. There is no city in Eastern Nigeria with economic output as Ibadan and i think only few can beat that city in Nigeria.

Economic output in ibadan and most of SW is not done by the indigenes. That is y d shoprite biz fell.
Mostly foreigners and other Nigerians own d production lines, so u shdnt use this as an index.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2013
mandarin:

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
GooseBaba:

Bros.. Did you use the word "competition and Dangote". He is no pioneer. He got his wealth through favored monopoly aided by his paddy in government. I do not emulate Dangote.

Dangote attained Monopoly grandeur during the military era. He did not beat the existing competitors, he cheated his way through government intimidation and Nepotism. How can you use the word "competition" when one man has the sole rights to sell a particular products to a country of over 100 million customers.

pls, help me explain this to ujoinme.
I was dangote's fan till i understood his tactics with govt esp OBJ.
Yar'Adua even tried reversing d trend bfr he died.

I blame d 'partial' govt for dis.
Monopolising businesses to only one person in order to cripple those already in d biz will just weaken our middle class.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by mandarin: 5:51pm On Sep 06, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Economic output in ibadan and most of SW is not done by the indigenes. That is y d shoprite biz fell.
Mostly foreigners and other Nigerians own d production lines, so u shdnt use this as an index.

One of the indices ,for measuring economic performance is energy consumption,Ibadan is the next after Lagos in Nigeria.Its that a surprise? well I do not base discussions on assumptions but economics. Thanks for your comment though.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by eddiejay: 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
i am trying to post comments here,,,
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 06, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Ngozi are you high on dog shyte? Which shoprite fell? The one I went to yesterday and had to turn back because of the check out queue?

Lol @ foreigners owning businesses in ibadan. Ibadan was already a commercial town before the lebanese or chinese set foot on the african continent, try another mudslinging technique.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by securi: 7:49pm On Sep 06, 2013
I do not know your definition of development or the indices you're using, but I can tell you that none of these towns can be compared to Ibadan.If the Shoprite patronage is what you're using then you got it quite wrong, as I said earlier, Ibadan people are conservatives&cannot just change their ways of life because of Shoprite. I live at Ph &have been to most of these places you mentioned, only PH is more developed&that's because of oil activities. Pls take a trip down to see Ibadan so you can have a first hand information instead of this hearsay.
tonychristopher:

THANKS FOR PUTTING THE RECORDS STRAIGHT.... THE MAN WAS SO ANNOYED THAT IBADAN WITH ALL THESE YEARS AS ONE OF THE OLDEST CITY IS STILL RUSTY ALLOWING NW TOWNS TO OVERTAKE THEM ECONOMICALLY ..... HE EVEN SAID THAT THE SHOPRITE IS CLOSING DOWN AND WHAT PEOPLE GO THERE TO DO IS JUST SNAP PICTURE. HE TRIED COMPARING THE SHOPRITE THAT IS IN IBADAN WITH THE NUGU OWN. HE FELT SOBAD THAT NEW TOWNS LIKE OWERRI,ASABA UYO THAT WAS MADE CAPITAL AFTER TH WAR HAS OVRTAKEN THE OLD IBADAN.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANYBODY TO DEVLOP OR INDUSTRILIZE THOSE OSHOGBO,IBADAN ROUTE, I THINK YOU SHOULD UNDERSTUDY NNEWI,ONITSHA AND ABA, THEN LOOK AT CALABAR,PH AND UYO

IT THEN MEANS THAT WHEN THE IBADAN GUYS DOES THIS, GOOD BUSINESS CAN BE ATTRACTED BUT FOR NOW..... IBADAN SEEMS NOT TO BE INVESTMNT HEAVEN OR HAVEN.... WHAT IS YOUR TAKE
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 06, 2013
django1:

Ngozi are you high on dog shyte? Which shoprite fell? The one I went to yesterday and had to turn back because of the check out queue?

Lol @ foreigners owning businesses in ibadan. Ibadan was already a commercial town before the lebanese or chinese set foot on the african continent, try another mudslinging technique.

They tell themselves a lot of garbage and they believe it. Incredible people.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
mandarin:

One of the indices ,for measuring economic performance is energy consumption,Ibadan is the next after Lagos in Nigeria.Its that a surprise? well I do not base discussions on assumptions but economics. Thanks for your comment though.

energy consumed by foreign firms nah.
Am talking of the private investment of indigenes.
And forget all those talk abt coming to Ibadan and seeing tnz for my self.
My Coming to ibadan again will probably only happen due to some exams.
Many igbos are well travelled within d country, so dont bother thinking anybody has tym for hearsay.
am sure wat am saying abt indigenous ownership of enterprises in d SW.
Energy consumption, GDP,etc are mostly thanks to non-yoruba investments.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Anvaller: 11:41am On Sep 07, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Many igbos are well travelled within d country, so dont bother thinking anybody has tym for hearsay.

What indigenous enterprise are u talking about? I hate to argue along tribal lines but u guys are always pushing one into that direction due to ur ever arrogant, egocentric, self eulogizing mentality. Apart from 2nd hand clothing business and electronic appliances, what more do u sell out of a thousand other businesses that are in Ibadan? And u can not tell me that there are no several indigenes that do the same business that your ppl do. At least before I left Ibadan in the early/mid 2000s, the most popular and successful boutique in Dugbe which was Emerald Emporium was owned by a Yoruba guy (not sure if he is still there). U guys like to believe that u are doing those business because indigenes don't know how to do it. U never appreciate the fact that the indigenes are accomodating enough to allow u to do it without having a problem with it. Do u allow any non Ibo person to run any form of business in Onitsha?

Once again, just like someone has told u here, u ppl like to tell urselves anything and believe it. Stop deceiving ureslves. And cut down on that arrogance, I have Ibo friends but they are humble ones and they themselves do not like the typical arrogant ones, they make the Ibos look bad.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 07, 2013
ngozievergreen:

MY GOD!!! I've been wasting my time arguing with a secondary school student undecided

2 Likes

Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Anvaller: 11:49am On Sep 07, 2013
django1:

MY GOD!!! I've been wasting my time arguing with a secondary school student undecided

Smart observation, I failed to observe that, I wouldn't have replied her comments. Sometimes nairaland gets unattractive when u realize that u might be chatting with some kids in their teens.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ujoinme: 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
ngozievergreen:

pls, help me explain this to ujoinme.
I was dangote's fan till i understood his tactics with govt esp OBJ.
Yar'Adua even tried reversing d trend bfr he died.

I blame d 'partial' govt for dis.
Monopolising businesses to only one person in order to cripple those already in d biz will just weaken our middle class.
Larfarge, BUA, Unicem, etc are also major cement manufacturers in nigeria. Larfarge was the largest before Dangote waded into the market. Monopoly is attained when there is only one producer of such goods. being a dominant or the largest manufacturer does not make you a monopolist it just makes you a major player! Did you guys accuse Larfarge 5-6 yrs ago when they were the largest producer of cement in Nigeria of monopoly? is it because its owned by europeans?

Walmart is the largest grocer in The US and the world but that doesn't mean they are a monopoly even in the US there are other profitable and competitive grocers that are giving them a run like target, safway,etc

Lafarge and other minor cement producers and their appologist should stop whining about dangote and compete afterall thats what business is about when they do that Nigerians will benefit from price drops.

And when govt. policies favours bussiness it is referred to as business savvy. Thats why bussiness lobbies the congress/politicians tis nothing new, in The US every major business has a lobby group in washington! what do you think those lobby groups are set up for?

No one is stopping Larfarge, Unicem, BUA and other cement manufacturers from lobbying the nigerian govt. they shoul stop crying wolf when dangote out lobby them in Abuja thats part of business.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by anulaxad(m): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
GooseBaba:

People just dey yarn anyhow. Have you been to Somalia..?? Besides, the rot in Nigeria did not start over night. Therefore, you can't have positive growth overnight. Na small small. You forget that first class infrastructure demands first class sustainability.

Look at yourself,yes i have been to somalia,you very senseless, i mean every single country that i have been no matter how poor or rich has developed some sort of first class infrastructure except nigeria even somalia(mogadishu),and wait do you even know what sustainability means,do not use long grammar if you have no idea what you are saying,it means when you maintain or redevelop something to make it have a higher life span or better energy efficiency.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by ifechez: 1:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
Anvaller:

Smart observation, I failed to observe that, I wouldn't have replied her comments. Sometimes nairaland gets unattractive when u realize that u might be chatting with some kids in their teens.

Whatever that makes your day Niko. I believe Ngozi is a certified medical practitioner.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by anulaxad(m): 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
mandarin:

You know i can talk fluent chinese.
I had just became an economist,when i was sent to my first oversea assignment,and it was China,of course i had only a month to learn mandarin before i was sent off and yes i did it.This was 5 years ago.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by basilo101: 9:36am On Sep 08, 2013
Anvaller:

What indigenous enterprise are u talking about? I hate to argue along tribal lines but u guys are always pushing one into that direction due to ur ever arrogant, egocentric, self eulogizing mentality. Apart from 2nd hand clothing business and electronic appliances, what more do u sell out of a thousand other businesses that are in Ibadan? And u can not tell me that there are no several indigenes that do the same business that your ppl do. At least before I left Ibadan in the early/mid 2000s, the most popular and successful boutique in Dugbe which was Emerald Emporium was owned by a Yoruba guy (not sure if he is still there). U guys like to believe that u are doing those business because indigenes don't know how to do it. U never appreciate the fact that the indigenes are accomodating enough to allow u to do it without having a problem with it. Do u allow any non Ibo person to run any form of business in Onitsha?

Once again, just like someone has told u here, u ppl like to tell urselves anything and believe it. Stop deceiving ureslves. And cut down on that arrogance, I have Ibo friends but they are humble ones and they themselves do not like the typical arrogant ones, they make the Ibos look bad.
Nigerians r deceiving themselves. Only Aba n Nnewi have indigeneous technology n craftmen. Dats hw d Asian tigers emerged. All these big foreign owned companies siting in a regiƶn only help 2 impoverish dem d more while dey rejoice over GDP.
Re: Unheralded But Booming Towns In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 08, 2013
django1:

hahahahahahahahahahaha.
Shebi all exams end in secondary schools?
Wish it were so myself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari And Jonathan Hold Private Meeting In Aso Villa / FG Appoints Okhiria, MD Of Nigeria Railway Corporation / Olusegun Obasanjo Arrives Maiduguri For A 2-Day Visit (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.