Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,780 members, 7,898,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 06:59 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (524662 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:37pm On Nov 07, 2013
@ Chidima,

Sedevacantism is something I think I had only heard once but didnt know much about it. So since I saw your post, I have been using my spare time to research and find one or two articles that might be helpful. I found a six-page work on pdf but didnt know how to post it here. Then I found this one. I hope it helps a bit. We can then take it from there.

However, I want you to know that the most powerful thing you can do is pray. It is your job to talk to your friend but only the Holy Spirit can change hearts. God bless you as you undertake this spiritual work of mercy.

Here's the article.

www.scripturecatholic.com/tradissues_qa.html#sede
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:06am On Nov 08, 2013
Good morning brethren. May today be a blessed one for us.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chidima: 9:41am On Nov 08, 2013
@italo, thanks will read it up.

@all , today is our harvest retreat vigil and it will be anchored by Fr Tony maria Ozelle. You are all unvited to our lady of fatimah aguda surulere lagos. Come and experience the joy in adoration.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:51am On Nov 08, 2013
chidima: @italo, thanks will read it up.

@all , today is our harvest retreat vigil and it will be anchored by Fr Tony maria Ozelle. You are all unvited to our lady of fatimah aguda surulere lagos. Come and experience the joy in adoration.

If I can, I will come...though I doubt for now.

I think many of us Catholics get too stuck in our own Parishes and dont get to experience other Parishes that much.

Moving around once in a while helps us to grow spiritually and know more about the faith more.

We hardly have parish-wide vigils in St. Dominic, just groups like Charismatic etc.

It would be nice to experience Our Lady of Fatima!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 11:07am On Nov 08, 2013
For your reading pleasure and enlightenment about Jehovah's Witnesses, you might want to see www.nairaland.com/1506699/jman05-please-defend-jehovahs-witnesses/3

Note: I dont condemn individual JWs. I love them as Children of God whom love God but are in error.

This thread resulted from JMAN05 condemning Catholicism to be false while promoting JWs true.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 11:09am On Nov 08, 2013
www.nairaland.com/1508729/what-wrong-celebrating-birthdays-christmas

This one is about Ukuts gp blaming JWs for asking him to show him Christmas and birthdays in the Bible...the very same thing he does to Catholics.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chidima: 11:32am On Nov 08, 2013
italo:

If I can, I will come...though I doubt for now.

I think many of us Catholics get too stuck in our own Parishes and dont get to experience other Parishes that much.

Moving around once in a while helps us to grow spiritually and know more about the faith more.

We hardly have parish-wide vigils in St. Dominic, just groups like Charismatic etc.

It would be nice to experience Our Lady of Fatima!

in OLF, we have vigils, every last friday of the month. But its coming earlier this month because of the harvest.

Yes , i also totally agree with you, we should visit other parishes when we can.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:59am On Nov 08, 2013
italo: For your reading pleasure and enlightenment about Jehovah's Witnesses, you might want to see www.nairaland.com/1506699/jman05-please-defend-jehovahs-witnesses/3

Note: I dont condemn individual JWs. I love them as Children of God whom love God but are in error.

This thread resulted from JMAN05 condemning Catholicism to be false while promoting JWs true.

Been following you guys on that thread, quite interesting.

Btw thanks for the link on sedevacantism.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 12:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
@ Italo and chidima

do u knw any Rev Fr. Jeol Okojie(osa)??, his from Lagos Archdioces, invited by St. Rita's parish, kano as guest speaker in their 3days harvest revival.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Thersa: 12:54pm On Nov 08, 2013
If you are proudly catholic....kindly like this page...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Being-a-Practicing-Catholic/245960532227926

Lets unite to strengthen our faith.

God bless you all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 1:02pm On Nov 08, 2013
Thersa: If you are proudly catholic....kindly like this page...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Being-a-Practicing-Catholic/245960532227926

Lets unite to strengthen our faith.

God bless you all.
done
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 1:02pm On Nov 08, 2013
woky: @ Italo and chidima

do u knw any Rev Fr. Jeol Okojie(osa)??, his from Lagos Archdioces, invited by St. Rita's parish, kano as guest speaker in their 3days harvest revival.

I dont.

As a matter of fact, I dont know many diocesan priests. I grew up going to St. Dominc's which is run by Dominans, not Lagos Archdiocese. Even when we have retreats or novenas, they invite mainly Dominican priests from other parts of the country/world. Or they invite priests from other religious congregations like Franciscans or Redemptorists.

It is only recently I started getting to know some Diocesan priests and the difference s between Diocesan priests and others.

That's why I said it's good to visit other parishes and experience how things are done.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by yemmytcm(m): 1:06pm On Nov 08, 2013
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit #haba,bros ...wait lemme talk first na# well...learning is continuous and infinitesimal(i try for english small) ..with interesting christian articles....you can learn,grow and shine at www.walkactive.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 1:18pm On Nov 08, 2013
italo:

I dont.

As a matter of fact, I dont know many diocesan priests. I grew up going to St. Dominc's which is run by Dominans, not Lagos Archdiocese. Even when we have retreats or novenas, they invite mainly Dominican priests from other parts of the country/world. Or they invite priests from other religious congregations like Franciscans or Redemptorists.

It is only recently I started getting to know some Diocesan priests and the difference s between Diocesan priests and others.

That's why I said it's good to visit other parishes and experience how things are done.
Ok bro.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 2:05pm On Nov 08, 2013
Just thinking... Is it not best we remain in defensive position in matters of faith and church arguments... No need making noise just like others do by simply trying to attack another persons believe. In as much as I knw that when you see the truth, you speak out. But when we open thread to teach the truth, we shouldn't make the thread look like an attack on their faith, but more like a corrective and enlightening measures. My 2cents.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
Rich4god: Just thinking... Is it not best we remain in defensive position in matters of faith and church arguments... No need making noise just like others do by simply trying to attack another persons believe. In as much as I knw that when you see the truth, you speak out. But when we open thread to teach the truth, we shouldn't make the thread look like an attack on their faith, but more like a corrective and enlightening measures. My 2cents.

True.

It's just difficult. Especially when they're not ready to learn. Only to criticize others.

Perhaps, one or two people need to be put in their place one or two times.

So that when we ignore them, they know that it's not because they have the biggest mouths, but just courtesy.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by preciousan(f): 2:59pm On Nov 08, 2013
6. Have I observed the laws of the Church
concerning Marriage, i.e.: Marriage without a
priest present, or marrying a relative or non-
Catholic?
[color=#990000][/color]
Does it mean that it is against your belief and laws in catholic to marry non-catholics?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2013
Triple post grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 3:08pm On Nov 08, 2013
Double post
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
^^^

Just to reiterate,

Please read Matt 22 & 23.

In Chapter 22, the Pharisees, Herodians and Sadducees kept heckling Jesus without giving him breathing space. The kept trying to ensnare him.

In Chapter 23 he had had enough and went on an all out attack throughout the Chapter. He didn't make it feel soft on them. He practically brought the sledgehammer on their hypocritical heads.

By verse 24, they had given him breathing space and he could concentrate on teaching his disciples who wanted to learn.

There's a time and place for everything.

Sometimes, we should be silent like Christ before Herod.

Sometimes, we should answer to their traps with a few wise words or questions...like Christ did many times.

Sometimes, we should bring out time to carefully explain like Christ does to his disciples.

Sometimes, we should confound them with our good actions like Christ raised the girl from the dead while people were laughing at him.

But once in a while, we should go on an all out attack, exposing the hypocrisy of the hypocrites...just like Christ did.

Maybe if we exposed some of these things more, many of our weaker brethren would not have joined them.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2013
preciousan: 6. Have I observed the laws of the Church
Catholic?[b]6. Have I observed the laws of the Church
Catholic?[/b]6. Have I observed the laws of the Church
Catholic?
Does it mean that in catholic it is against your laws and belief to marry a non catholic?
Nope... Where ever you get that from, its a miss conception. The only one I can attest is that if you are marrying a non catholic, try as much as you can to wed in the catholic church... Thats all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
Rich4god: Just thinking... Is it not best we remain in defensive position in matters of faith and church arguments... No need making noise just like others do by simply trying to attack another persons believe. In as much as I knw that when you see the truth, you speak out. But when we open thread to teach the truth, we shouldn't make the thread look like an attack on their faith, but more like a corrective and enlightening measures. My 2cents.
Yea sometimes you pull their legs to keep them sane.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 3:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
preciousan: 6. Have I observed the laws of the Church
Catholic?
[color=#990000][/color]
Does it mean that it is against your belief and laws in catholic to marry non-catholics?

Catholics are allowed to marry non-Catholics in a number of ways.

1. The non-Catholic can become Catholic (if they want to) and marry in a Catholic Church. This is very common.

2. The non-Catholic can remain non-Catholic and marry in a Catholic Church. He/she would promise not to hinder the Catholic upbringing of the Children.

3. The non-Catholic can remain non-Catholic and marry the Catholic in a non-Catholic Church (with a special dispensation/permission from the Bishop). This is very rare because typically, a faithful Catholic will not contemplate marriage outside the Catholic Church (dispensation or not) while an unfaithful Catholic could forfeit communion with the Church and marry outside anyway.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2013
italo: ^^^

Just to reiterate,

Please read Matt 22 & 23.

In Chapter 22, the Pharisees, Herodians and Sadducees kept heckling Jesus without giving him breathing space. The kept trying to ensnare him.

In Chapter 23 he had had enough and went on an all out attack throughout the Chapter. He didn't make it feel soft on them. He practically brought the sledgehammer on their hypocritical heads.

By verse 24, they had given him breathing space and he could concentrate on teaching his disciples who wanted to learn.

There's a time and place for everything.

Sometimes, we should be silent like Christ before Herod.

Sometimes, we should answer to their traps with a few wise words or questions...like Christ did many times.

Sometimes, we should bring out time to carefully explain like Christ does to his disciples.

Sometimes, we should confound them with our good actions like Christ raised the girl from the dead while people were laughing at him.

But once in a while, we should go on an all out attack, exposing the hypocrisy of the hypocrites...just like Christ did.

Maybe if we exposed some of these things more, many of our weaker brethren would not have joined them.
It's hightime you opened that thread on "strategies of defending the catholic faith"
you can also drop it here if it's not worth opening a thread for.. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by preciousan(f): 4:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
Ok,cos i really need to know,cos my fiance is catholic n he has never said a thing like that(even if my parents haven't accepted yet,cos he's catholic),although he insists that the wedding has to take place in catholic church
Re: A Thread For Catholics by preciousan(f): 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
Ok,because i really need to know, my fiance is catholic and he has never said a thing like that(even if my parents haven't accepted yet,cos he's catholic),although he insists that the wedding has to take place in catholic church.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 5:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
damerry: It's hightime you opened that thread on "strategies of defending the catholic faith"
you can also drop it here if it's not worth opening a thread for.. smiley

My brother, infact now that you've said it, I'll work on it and open it tomorrow. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:08pm On Nov 08, 2013
Another observation... Any time an anti-catholic thread is opened, we should try as much as we can to explain or reply to the OP in the best polite way that we can, and not necessarily having to attack the OP back based on his/her belief/faith. Eg... If for intance a JW opens a thread about catholics, we should try and address the issue in the best way we can and not having to attack/bring out the negative side of JW while trying to reply the OP. My 2cent.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:48pm On Nov 08, 2013
it seems my mb is finished, i'll begin tomorrow.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:17am On Nov 09, 2013
Good morning brethren and do have a nice day ahead
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:20am On Nov 09, 2013
preciousan: Ok,because i really need to know, my fiance is catholic and he has never said a thing like that(even if my parents haven't accepted yet,cos he's catholic),although he insists that the wedding has to take place in catholic church.
I pray the will of God been done in your case.

Sorry for this belated welcome. You are welcome to this thread and may you be blessed, feel free to stop by often.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 7:36am On Nov 09, 2013
Almighty God, we have come to you now for protection and we declare that you ar our refuge and defender. We put our trust in you alone. Protect us frm all hidden dangers, from all deadly diseases and from every trap of the enemy in Jesus name we pray. Amen

Good morning brethren
do have a peaceful weekend

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (505) (Reply)

Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / 'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.