Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,770 members, 7,969,258 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 11:51 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (81366 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan: Azu tilapia is also available in the US.

Rofl
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bassette(m): 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
dayokanu: Nice one Osisi for opening this thread

I would advise anyone in Nigeria who wants to come to US to do so, Its truly a land flowing with milk and honey if you know what to do.

First of all come with a mind of going to school and learning new skills, Be flexible, Have an open mind and not a defeatist attitude

I came to US in 2008 August and I can only thank God for the opportunity. I have several friends on this same Nairaland whom I met here that came around 2010 and are doing verrrry goood

I know 3 of them who comes to visit me regularly and we talk all of them make between 75k and 110k a yr, The three of them came in 2010.

America has been good to me and I would advise anyone with drive to succeed to come

NB: I had an excellent job in Nigeria before leaving and still havent regretted any day of it
Dayokanu thanks for this post..I have indeed bookmarked this as my best and also special thanks to the OP for creating this..have been reading from page 1 and she said something that an uncle of mine who just travelled to the US said samething just days ago..I love Nigeria but u c Nigeria of today I c is a huge disappointment to me(am not complaining)..someday I'll share my experience hopefully on this platform after i'd gone over!Thank you..
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thugnificent: What's the difference between community college and regular colleges?
Community colleges are two-year institutions, while 'regular colleges (Ithink you meant university) are 4-year institutions. In the US, only 4-year institutions can provide post-graduate programs.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Thugnificent(m): 5:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
justwise:

Why? That was my initial question
Actually some Nigerian companies such as Chevron, NNPC etc employ foreign degree holders especially those that attended well known colleges mostly in UK and US who are in the Engineering field. But the first class graduates in Nigeria are usually paid higher go and ask around. For major's like Law, Medcine, its adivisable to earn your first degree in Nigeria. Honestly, if a first degree holder abroad expects to come home and secure a white collar job just because of his degree, then he/she will be in for a rude awakening because jobs no dey......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oya if you have enjoyed this thread,please click on my signature ,join in and come and know more about me.
I will be grateful

11 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thugnificent: Actually some Nigerian companies such as Chevron, NNPC etc employ foreign degree holders especially those that attended well known colleges mostly in UK and US who are in the Engineering field. But the first class graduates in Nigeria are usually paid higher go and ask around. For major's like Law, Medcine, its adivisable to earn your first degree in Nigeria. Honestly, if a first degree holder abroad expects to come home and secure a white collar job just because of his degree, then he/she will be in for a rude awakening because jobs no dey......

You still haven't told me why they valued home first degree holders more than foreign first degree holders. Why would those companies prefer first class Nigerian graduate than first class foreign degree holder, that is what i want to know.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Thugnificent(m): 5:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
Community colleges are two-year institutions, while 'regular colleges (Ithink you meant university) are 4-year institutions. In the US, only 4-year institutions can provide post-graduate programs.
Thanks bro for the clarification. So what's the use of the “degree” earned at community colleges?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thugnificent: Thanks bro for the clarification. So what's the use of the “degree” earned at community colleges?
The degree awarded in those colleges are called "Associate degree". One can get a nursing degree (RN) there, and also Medical assistant, pharmacy technician, and paralegal degrees.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thugnificent: Thanks bro for the clarification. So what's the use of the “degree” earned at community colleges?

Their degrees are equivalent of an OND in Nigeria abi wetin una dey call am now
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nnaiah: 5:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thank you @babyosisi for the thoughtful gesture of sharing this volume of information despite the attacks.
Pls I sent you a PM since yesterday. Can I have your email address?
Kindly reply.
Thank you.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 5:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
The degree awarded in those colleges are called "Associate degree". One can get a nursing degree (RN) there, and also Medical assistant, pharmacy technician, and paralegal degrees.

Not easy to get a visa through college
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 5:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
nnaiah: Thank you @babyosisi for the thoughtful gesture of sharing this volume of information despite the attacks.
Kindly reply.

Thank you.

Why not ask that question here so that other people will benefit from the answer? If we all chat privately you will not see anything to read here
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
nnaiah: Thank you @babyosisi for the thoughtful gesture of sharing this volume of information despite the attacks.
Kindly reply.
Thank you.

Honey ask the question here, someone could benefit from it.i don't want to answer any private questions on this.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
justwise:

Why not ask that question here so that other people will benefit from the answer? If we all chat privately you will not see anything to read here

Didn't even read you before responding
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
David,check your email please
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nnaiah: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Onyinyechimara(f): 7:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

If you are already married,have graduated med school with house job and NYSC,I wouldn't advise you to spend 3 years in Nigeria pursuing a west African fellowship which you are not even certain to get in 3 years.
I know how dem dey chop people witch for that thing.
Whatever specialty you achieve will not be recognized in the UK
You will still start afresh with Plab exams
Nothing wrong in being a general practitioner
Sometimes with marriage,motherhood etc,somethings have to give
3 years is too long to stay apart from the one you love IMHO and as a GP you will still make good money
Go there and do the royal college exams instead
It has more class than the west African college.

Thank you so much Babyosisi.........appreciate it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by moshino(m): 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
To an extent. In the uni, I was given state grants and federal grants. I also received some grants from the school itself. Yeah, if you are a California resident, there is a high probability of your tuition being essentially free.

CFCfan, It depends on which University in California you're referencing. If you attend any of the CSU schools, then all the grants you mentioned could cover your expenses. But if you're in UC schools, USC, Stanford etc, you could get all those grants and still need lots of cash to cover your expenses. Secondly, someone coming straight from Nigeria to study right away would not have met the residency requirement of California to qualify for the grants you mentioned, plus they'll be subject to out-of-state tuition, it could be massive for that first year.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
nnaiah: @babyosisi
It is not a question.it is more of a request.
Hook me up with one of these your pretty cousins na.
I am single and never married.I am also getting mature for marriage but the quest to make enough money for my would be wife and kids is the reason why I have not been so keen(now,they will say it doesn't work that way). I don't want my wife and kids to suffer one bit.

You want me to have a broke inlaw
Chukwu Aju!!
Will you use sand to pay the bride price?
Mbaise women are not cheap o FYI
I am looking for a man that is already swimming in money
We don't encourage poor suitors biko
Ask CFC if he has cousins that won't mind drinking garri

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Iceman296: 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi: Oya if you have enjoyed this thread,please click on my signature ,join in and come and know more about me.
I will be grateful
..There Is No Better way Of Saying Thank you than Just Liking this.

I'd Advice anyone who has a Lingering Question to Read through the Entire Thread Because All Answers Have been Answered here.

As For me, I won the DV Lottery 2011 and Was Just days To Submitting my Applications to Kentucky when they stroke an Email saying they Cancelled the Result Due to Error in the Machine Or Something. How Unlucky was i Because After the Next draw, I wasn't shot Listed anymore!

That alone Killed my American Dream and I resented to Visiting Level. I am yet To though But i know Better things Lies ahead

All the Contributors of this thread, I praise your altruism! You have Enlightened So Many People!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 7:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
iLUMeN8: Thanks man.

Can you please suggest a black organisation I can start with and how to go about it.
Please do google search. I have a list but it is on a pdf file. Everything you nees is online. Just google minority scholarship programs in the united states. Some may ask proof of hardship, through letter.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 7:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chukwu Aju!!

Onu ojoo... grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 7:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
moshino:

CFCfan, It depends on which University in California you're referencing. If you attend any of the CSU schools, then all the grants you mentioned could cover your expenses. But if you're in UC schools, USC, Stanford etc, you could get all those grants and still need lots of cash to cover your expenses. Secondly, someone coming straight from Nigeria to study right away would not have met the residency requirement of California to qualify for the grants you mentioned, plus they'll be subject to out-of-state tuition, it could be massive for that first year.
You are right. I took philosophy class in a cal state university and paid huge chunk for it, this was back in undergraduate studies. I have been a cali resident for 12years and counting yet I get to make some payment.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nnaiah: 8:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chukwu Aju!!

I just dey laugh
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by moshino(m): 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
You are right. I took philosophy class in a cal state university and paid huge chunk for it, this was back in undergraduate studies. I have been a cali resident for 12years and counting yet I get to make some payment.

bootlegaz, Just in case you're still studying in a CSU, if possible, stay away from CSU Dominguez, instead stick to CSULA, Northridge, Long Beach or CalPoly Pomona, they have the highest standards in the CSU system, and highly regarded globally.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by orgasticdance: 8:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
biggups to babyosi and every positive person on this thread. im planning for an MS in ocean engineering next fall: massachusets/TX are my top destinations for now. job considerations aside, what cities have the highest proportion of educated black or latino women with nice azzes grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sartee(m): 8:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
Am new to nairaland though, but since I signed up here this is a thread that has got my attention. kudos to the one that created it. Have got questions and will like an explanatory answer
Am supposed to be done with my bsc if not for ASUU strike. I will like to make enquiries on what are the requirement I will be needing to travel out of the country to the states. Am a novice when it comes to this. I will like to live and work in the united states or canada . Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 8:49pm On Oct 18, 2013
moshino:

bootlegaz, Just in case you're still studying in a CSU, if possible, stay away from CSU Dominguez, instead stick to CSULA, Northridge, Long Beach or CalPoly Pomona, they have the highest standards in the CSU system, and highly regarded globally.
Bro I didn't attend a cal state I only went there to take a required course upon graduation and beside that I have an MBA from a top tier university in Cali. I left school years ago.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by moshino(m): 9:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
Bro I didn't attend a cal state I only went there to take a required course upon graduation and beside that I have an MBA from a top tier university in Cali. I left school years ago.

Ok, CONGRATULATIONS on your exploits and achievement!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:

I attended CSU San Marcos for 2+years, and the tuition there on average, was slightly over $3,000 per semester. But a combination of federal pell grants, cal grants and school grants paid for my tuition there.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Chinwem(f): 9:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chukwu Aju!!

Chei......correct woman cheesy
LWKM

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dickhardener: 10:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chukwu Aju!!
babyosisi no kidding, hook me up with a pretty igbo girl. Disregard my handle as it opposes my true personality. With regards to success i cannot be emphatic on a public forum. Do well oo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (34) (Reply)

I Need Directions Please. / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures / The Isolated Marquesas Islands In The South Pacific (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.