Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,979 members, 7,938,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 03:19 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (81126 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:37am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
I know a whole lot of naija LA babes, they kidnap ugly and are not well behaved. I have juggled both coast and will confidently tell you that east coast has more attractive naija girls than west.
Ok, if you say so.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 3:38am On Oct 18, 2013
Babyosisi more grace to your elbow!

I wish this thread existed some years ago. I wrote my GRE and TOEFL couple years back, and I had great scores, almost perfect scores in fact. But I made the mistake of applying to only 2 schools the first year and only 3 schools the second year (I want to apply to like 15 schools this year if possible). And I also applied to only top tier schools! Now I know that it is better to have some fallbacks just in case your dream school does not click. Yet I have gotten admission twice, but no funding. So I want to try to up the ante, I am taking a GRE subject test in Mathematics to further improve my chances (the exam is in about 30 hours time), and I will apply again this December.

I will return after my exam to ask Mrs Babyosisi some questions to better improve my chances this year, because it seems people are getting admission with funding and I am not, even though my scores are better than that of almost all the people I have seen.

God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My brother, if those chics are 50% as smart as babyosisi then my life is made for good. May God bless my hustle. Oya babyosisi i am not joking oh. Infact let me carry this convo offline.

I di serious?
I am not joking too

Ngwanu you know how to reach me
I know decent girls from decent parents
One sef has Igbo mother and Yoruba dad like you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 18, 2013
cogicero: Babyosisi more grace to your elbow!

I wish this thread existed some years ago. I wrote my GRE and TOEFL couple years back, and I had great scores, almost perfect scores in fact. But I made the mistake of applying to only 2 schools the first year and only 3 schools the second year (I want to apply to like 15 schools this year if possible). And I also applied to only top tier schools! Now I know that it is better to have some fallbacks just in case your dream school does not click. Yet I have gotten admission twice, but no funding. So I want to try to up the ante, I am taking a GRE subject test in Mathematics to further improve my chances (the exam is in about 30 hours time), and I will apply again this December.

I will return after my exam to ask Mrs Babyosisi some questions to better improve my chances this year, because it seems people are getting admission with funding and I am not, even though my scores are better than that of almost all the people I have seen.

God bless you.

Contact davidylan or ask him some direct questions here, if possible the sites he went to and other resources he may know about.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:05am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

You sef like better thin...

@babyosisi... Their waist, their waist, all he wants is their waist.. grin grin

Abi o
He wants oyibo waist
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:07am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Abi o
He wants oyibo waist
Oyibo waist<Naija waist

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 18, 2013
CFC,how old are you?
You don reach age to marry?
Honestly I do matchmaking on the side as a hobby
Real marriage not fake
I inherited the skill from my mother grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Yvete(f): 4:16am On Oct 18, 2013
@CfcFan: New hang out spot? cheesy

Beg to differ, y'all know ..... houses the prettiest Nigerian girls. Hel-loooo?? grin
#UmuAda #UmuOma #UmuAda Wawa cheesy
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

I di serious?
I am not joking too

Ngwanu you know how to reach me
I know decent girls from decent parents
One sef has Igbo mother and Yoruba dad like you

you got mail oh my sister.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:17am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

you got mail oh my sister.

Let me sheck
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 18, 2013
Yvete: @CfcFan: New hang out spot? cheesy

Beg to differ, y'all know Houston houses the prettiest Nigerian girls. Hel-loooo?? grin
#UmuAda #UmuOma #UmuAda Wawa cheesy
My sister, na so I see am oh.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 18, 2013
@ babyosisi: I'm still in my 20s, but ready to mingle cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:23am On Oct 18, 2013
Tremendous work going on here. Already tried sending a PM before I saw that the OP doesn't answer PMs. Please what would you advise a young man in his mid 20s done with NYSC, read Environmental Biology in school to do? My aim is to get into Medical Laboratory Science. I don't have the funds that's why I ignored US for a while. However all attempts at other countries (Mostly Europe) has proved abortive. Finished NYSC in 2011 and over the past 2 years, its been crazy highs and lows. I just want to know what I need to do to see if I i could give it a try please. Thanks.
Also, any links to SAT training materials would be appreciated. I have a younger brother that will be through with Secondary School in 2 years. Want to start getting him prepared o. No time.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 4:23am On Oct 18, 2013
Wait o, has this thread turned from "ask me any questions about Amelica" to "hangout/hookup spot? Biko nu jili nu nwayo... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 4:24am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Abi o
He wants oyibo waist

Oyibo waist anyachago... odirozi in alignment.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:38am On Oct 18, 2013
@OP pls ma I just bagged a masters degree in Phytomedicines (alternative and complementary medicine) and already planning on moving to US. What are my chances of getting a job while studying for Phd. Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 4:43am On Oct 18, 2013
Harwo: @OP pls ma I just bagged a masters degree in Phytomedicines (alternative and complementary medicine) and already planning on moving to US. What are my chances of getting a job while studying for Phd. Thanks.
You may not be able to bag your dream job right away. Your professor may make you a teaching assistant if he also lectures undergraduate or masters students.After PHD it is likely that your college may retain you as an assistant professor before moving you up the ladder. You have a better chance than those that studied sociology, art or communication.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by akwunomy(m): 4:43am On Oct 18, 2013
The only person that can tell you to or discredit the good ol US is someone who is not raised in Naija. I still believe in Naija but let tell ourselves the truth...no matter the socio-economic problem the USA is experiencing, the USA is 99 times better than Nigeria. Be sincere and google the average life expectancy of an average Nigerian. I keep hearing people i know dying in their 30s and you say that is normal. Before i arrived here, i suffered from malaria/typhoid almost every month...my body became a testing ground for all kinds of malaria drugs. I went to hospitals and different labs, still i could not control simple malarial. I have been here more than two years. Two years of malaria free life...no continuous head ache....my eyes is pure white...not yellow and some odd colors. I have dental appointed two times in year...and at least i visited the doctor two times a year for check up...i mean i have an appointment with the doctor and discuss my health needs. Do i need to talk about food or the 24/7 steady electricity...so i am a little confused whenever i came here and see all these negative comparison about American and Nigeria. The only good comparison is Nigeria and Ghana to be candid. Do you want to talk abut a government that does not value education....California State government pays for the tuition of all resident of California who are in college. The federal govt gives aid totally about 5500 dollars to encourage students. Do you wanna talk about equipment in the school for learning...you have free computer to do your work and research and free internet service. They school pays a tutor to help you on any subject you don't understand. So America is still good and if any of you have the opportunity to come over here..

7 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 18, 2013
Zeddicus: Tremendous work going on here. Already tried sending a PM before I saw that the OP doesn't answer PMs. Please what would you advise a young man in his mid 20s done with NYSC, read Environmental Biology in school to do? My aim is to get into Medical Laboratory Science. I don't have the funds that's why I ignored US for a while. However all attempts at other countries (Mostly Europe) has proved abortive. Finished NYSC in 2011 and over the past 2 years, its been crazy highs and lows. I just want to know what I need to do to see if I i could give it a try please. Thanks.
Also, any links to SAT training materials would be appreciated. I have a younger brother that will be through with Secondary School in 2 years. Want to start getting him prepared o. No time.
Thanks in anticipation.

You are simply looking for a way out of nigeria and not really interested in study abroad. You dont seem to have done the due diligence. One quick example - are you interested in going for a masters? What schools? What exams have you taken?

Asking for SAT training materials is quite puzzling... i know for a fact that they are sold like pure water by roadside sellers at Lagos Island.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 18, 2013
akwunomy: The only person that can tell you to or discredit the good ol US is someone who is not raised in Naija. I still believe in Naija but let tell ourselves the truth...no matter the socio-economic problem the USA is experiencing, the USA is 99 times better than Nigeria. Be sincere and google the average life expectancy of an average Nigerian. I keep hearing people i know dying in their 30s and you say that is normal. Before i arrived here, i suffered from malaria/typhoid almost every month...my body became a testing ground for all kinds of malaria drugs. I went to hospitals and different labs, still i could not control simple malarial. I have been here more than two years. Two years of malaria free life...no continuous head ache....my eyes is pure white...not yellow and some odd colors. I have dental appointed two times in year...and at least i visited the doctor two times a year for check up...i mean i have an appointment with the doctor and discuss my health needs. Do i need to talk about food or the 24/7 steady electricity...so i am a little confused whenever i came here and see all these negative comparison about American and Nigeria. The only good comparison is Nigeria and Ghana to be candid. Do you want to talk abut a government that does not value education....California State government pays for the tuition of all resident of California who are in college. The federal govt gives aid totally about 5500 dollars to encourage students. Do you wanna talk about equipment in the school for learning...you have free computer to do your work and research and free internet service. They school pays a tutor to help you on any subject you don't understand. So America is still good and if any of you have the opportunity to come over here...the sky will surely be your limit if you work hard and open your eyes for opportunities.

1. You're quite ignorant - you havent had malaria since you came to the US because the parasite does not exist here. I bet you the americans wished they could live in Naija so they can avoid lime disease which is much worse.

2. I lived in naija 22 yrs, i had far better medical access there than here where a one night stay in the hospital can put you in debt for years. I dont know where you lived in naija but i saw a doctor at least 4-5 times a year. Physicals were routine and free.

3. America is good, but it is not good enough to thrash your country over.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:48am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan: @ babyosisi: I'm still in my 20s, but ready to mingle cool

Very smart for a 20 sumtin year old I must say
Take your time
Around 31- 34 you start looking to settle
Not later
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:49am On Oct 18, 2013
Harwo: @OP pls ma I just bagged a masters degree in Phytomedicines (alternative and complementary medicine) and already planning on moving to US. What are my chances of getting a job while studying for Phd. Thanks.

Outside a teaching/research assistantship, your chances are much slimmer than they were 10 yrs ago. Now the SS office is very strict with regard to giving out SSNs to foreigners.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 4:50am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Very smart for a 20 sumtin year old I must say
Take your time
Around 31- 34 you start looking to settle
Not later

Huh? 32-34?

Abeg that's old age o... Latest 30yo particularly for someone who doesn't have obstacles like our immigrant brothers.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 4:51am On Oct 18, 2013
akwunomy: The only person that can tell you to or discredit the good ol US is someone who is not raised in Naija. I still believe in Naija but let tell ourselves the truth...no matter the socio-economic problem the USA is experiencing, the USA is 99 times better than Nigeria. Be sincere and google the average life expectancy of an average Nigerian. I keep hearing people i know dying in their 30s and you say that is normal. Before i arrived here, i suffered from malaria/typhoid almost every month...my body became a testing ground for all kinds of malaria drugs. I went to hospitals and different labs, still i could not control simple malarial. I have been here more than two years. Two years of malaria free life...no continuous head ache....my eyes is pure white...not yellow and some odd colors. I have dental appointed two times in year...and at least i visited the doctor two times a year for check up...i mean i have an appointment with the doctor and discuss my health needs. Do i need to talk about food or the 24/7 steady electricity...so i am a little confused whenever i came here and see all these negative comparison about American and Nigeria. The only good comparison is Nigeria and Ghana to be candid. Do you want to talk abut a government that does not value education....California State government pays for the tuition of all resident of California who are in college. The federal govt gives aid totally about 5500 dollars to encourage students. Do you wanna talk about equipment in the school for learning...you have free computer to do your work and research and free internet service. They school pays a tutor to help you on any subject you don't understand. So America is still good and if any of you have the opportunity to come over here...the sky will surely be your limit if you work hard and open your eyes for opportunities.
Dude you said it all. Back in college, I had a tutor that was paid for by the government. Common stuff like body spray is a treasure in naija, visit a club in Abuja and you will be forced to have your own table cos of the bad body odour from both genders.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 4:51am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Contact davidylan or ask him some direct questions here, if possible the sites he went to and other resources he may know about.
Thanks Babyosisi.

Hi Davidylan, I see you are in the bio/med line, and I am in Engineering so I am not asking to be spoon-fed any technical details wink. Do you have any hints on states / towns that I can consider for fall-backs just in case I don't get into the schools I actually want to? I was told there are some areas in the US that seek diversity so they are usually more eager to admit international students plus more likely to give them funding. If you tell me such states / towns I will search for programs there. Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by InvertedHammer: 4:53am On Oct 18, 2013
/
There are quiet a lot of Nigeria girls in Los Angeles area.

But they tend to run away from Nigeria guys because of gossip. Once a Nigerian guy "beds" a girl they will wear it as bragging right
for anyone who cares to listen. So no girl wants her name to be soiled---in case of future suitors wink wink

And because of pressure from home, these Nigeria girls are busy chasing the dollar than taking care of themselves.
The era of free buzz is over. Nothing is free here like Nigeria where a boyfriend could buy his girlfriend a car.

So struggle continues. As a matter of fact, some of the Nigeria ladies out here travel to Nigeria to marry and bring
their husbands over. I know quiet a few. And the saga continues....

It is not easy ooo!

//
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Huh? 32-34?

Abeg that's old age o... Latest 30yo particularly for someone who doesn't have obstacles like our immigrant brothers.

Still within range
By that age you would have matured sufficiently and settled career wise
30 is good but please not later than 34
I take God beg u
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 4:54am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

1. You're quite ignorant - you havent had malaria since you came to the US because the parasite does not exist here. I bet you the americans wished they could live in Naija so they can avoid lime disease which is much worse.

2. I lived in naija 22 yrs, i had far better medical access there than here where a one night stay in the hospital can put you in debt for years. I dont know where you lived in naija but i saw a doctor at least 4-5 times a year. Physicals were routine and free.

3. America is good, but it is not good enough to thrash your country over.
You paid that much for hospital because you were undocumented and making minimum wage.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 4:56am On Oct 18, 2013
@davidylan I forgot to add that I seek a PhD (get a masters on the way) and my final goal is in academia.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:58am On Oct 18, 2013
Did someone say tuition is free in California for residents?
Is that true?
CFC you live in Cali
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:58am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

You are simply looking for a way out of nigeria and not really interested in study abroad. You dont seem to have done the due diligence. One quick example - are you interested in going for a masters? What schools? What exams have you taken?

Asking for SAT training materials is quite puzzling... i know for a fact that they are sold like pure water by roadside sellers at Lagos Island.
Thank you Sir.
I don't intend going for Masters in Environmental Biology because it wasn't my chosen course. Studied it due to the Jamb factor.
And yes I have not done my due diligence on Masters in the US. If you noticed I mentioned I ignored everything about the US because of the cost of education there. Only picked interest a few weeks ago because I just felt I should know what is involved.
I just want to know if it is possible to leverage on the fact that I already have a degree to study that course without the shenanigans of a fresher. It is what I want to do and what I applied for all along as I had my wahala with Jamb.

About the SAT. I am one of those that are not ashamed to ask questions no matter how stupid. Some of us have never been to Lagos and so I don't even know those materials are sold.
Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 18, 2013
cogicero:
Thanks Babyosisi.

Hi Davidylan, I see you are in the bio/med line, and I am in Engineering so I am not asking to be spoon-fed any technical details wink. Do you have any hints on states / towns that I can consider for fall-backs just in case I don't get into the schools I actually want to? I was told there are some areas in the US that seek diversity so they are usually more eager to admit international students plus more likely to give them funding. If you tell me such states / towns I will search for programs there. Thanks

No one can tell you such things, they are mostly untrue anyway. I find what works best is to look for your schools and get in touch with your program director personally.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (34) (Reply)

Nigerians Confront South Africans With Guns In Pretoria - Facebook User / Applying For FLR After Your Initial UK Spouse Visa (extension) / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.