Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,096 members, 7,890,615 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:58 PM

Do I Need A Degree To Be Successful? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do I Need A Degree To Be Successful? (1038 Views)

Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver / Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / Things You Must Give-up To Be Successful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need A Degree To Be Successful? by shantin(f): 4:53pm On Jun 30, 2008
Author: Penguins Seo

As the workplace becomes even more competitive, people are seeing the need for ever higher levels of learning. Young people with bachelor’s degrees in their chosen field are getting promoted to management above people who have worked for much longer, but have less education.

There is a trend that is growing every year in the business world: Increasingly, prospective job applicants are getting more education than ever before. In the 1940s and 1950s, it was not uncommon for people to leave school without a high school diploma, in order to help out on farms or in family businesses. Wherever there was a need, children would fill it. However, as the population, technology and information grows with the years, the percentage of people without at least a GED shrinks noticeably.

As the workplace becomes even more competitive, people are seeing the need for ever higher levels of learning. Young people with bachelor’s degrees in their chosen field are getting promoted to management above people who have worked for much longer, but have less education. The fastest way to get ahead is to increase your own level of education. Choosing the right education path for you can mean pursuing a different career, or just advancing in your current career.

Statistically, women are still making less than men in the same positions. However, men and women in the same positions who have bachelor's degrees are making nearly the same amount of money now, in business and industry, but not in science and research. This could be due to a lack of female researchers, but a recent influx of women in the business world increases the number of women in upper management.

Single mothers are increasingly going back to school to improve their resumes and portfolios, and improve their positions in their current jobs, or help themselves get out of their current positions and into better jobs that can be interesting and fulfilling careers that will help them and their children and improve their quality of life.

The point cannot be stressed enough: If a person can find the time to commit to getting at least a bachelor's degree in their chosen area of study, their ability to find good paying and fulfilling careers increases dramatically. If time is difficult to come by, then one must think of other options, or of how to organize the current schedule to accommodate school. Think of other means of getting an education, including night classes at the local community college, or online education courses.

There are plenty of options, and plenty of monetary help through grants and loans. It is worth it to get your education if you want to succeed in life. Did you know that 45% of managers have a bachelor degree or higher? Many people in their career wonder, "how can I move up in the company?" when the answer is so simple, it's almost crazy not to consider it.

For Further Readings, Please Go To:

http://bizcomm.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=102

(1) (Reply)

Who Has The Chance For Employment Between Male & Female / What Shd I Do? / Investment Opportunity To Make Money From Legit And Free From Stress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.