Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,693 members, 7,979,336 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:44 AM

ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts (16103 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Idiataqueen(f): 5:01pm On Oct 08, 2013
Did dis post call off d strike abeg i
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
RedBenson:

I think you didnt sleep well last night. How will the students repay the loan in this current rate of unemployment?

Like i said until they find job before they will be asked to pay for it. Also depending on the job or income students will be provided installment plans that will last up to 30 years. Govt also shouldn't hint on student loan repayment they should see this as investment on the Nigeria youths.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Prymestrr(m): 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
Habiz: haba,what are u saying...before you will just bring an idea u must have a fact to justify that...in Nigeria today there are 3 categories of universities,federal,state and private...the federal universites are better off the private universities despite their huge paid...then y must u open up that idea that in reality it is .....(comment reserved)..tell me which country is practising that system and their acheivement so far....
Dude, make ur research. In the USA no single public university is affiliated 2 d federal government. Their only connection is 2 d state n mind u, d state has no control over d affairs of d universities in der jurisdiction. Dt is d job of d university governing board. U can confirm 4 urself by carrying out a research on d UNIVERSITY OF ATLANTA, GEORGIA. 1 of d many examples of such system. Dz particular institution is 1 of d top ranking in d world.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by frankoba: 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
As it is now my fellow great silent Nigeria students, na street hustling sure pass o
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
nkpom mpko: More half baked illiterate graduates on the way

Agree with you. embarassed
nkpom mpko: More half baked illiterate graduates on the way

Agree with you.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Segedinho(m): 5:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
idris4r83: Education is d backbone of any nations development. I c no reason why mr GEJ is turning his deaf ears 2 ASUU, ASUP, n SSANU's demands. A wise n sensible student will think twice before casting his vote come 2015. Is we the masses that are on d loosing sides as 4 them they have nothing 2 loose, their wards are in ivy leagues.

U speaks as though ur votes count,,,,,,
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by babsdeen(m): 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
Yes ASUU has great plans for us in the long-run, but,we students are doing nothing to help matter at all. It's very obvious that this government can meet up with the demands but will never comply. WHY CAN'T WE COME TOGETHER AS ONE TO EXPRESS OUR COLLECTIVE GRIEVANCES IN PEACE,NOT FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO FEEL FOR US, BUT TO EXPOSE TO THE WORLD THE SHAME OUR DEAR GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN TRYING TO COVER FOR YEARS. TO MY FELLOW NIGERIAN STUDENTS I SAY - #SHAMEONUS

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by uceee(m): 5:25pm On Oct 08, 2013
ideyvexnow:

I sense a lot of sarcasm in this sentence.

It is annoying that you seem to enjoy the rot, neglect and total decay of infrastructure in Nigeria's Government Owned Universities.

This have turned Nigerian University Graduates into Laughing stock outside this country and yet people like you have the guts to open a thread here to attack the Lecturers who are sacrificing their salaries just make the teaching and learning environment a better place for you and your children.

This is just sad.
Point of correction. Nobody is sacrificing his salary for anything.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Deiok(m): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
Eheen.. So ASUU vs FG don reach season ten
Maybe their adventure go end for season 11 gringrin
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
the strike will still favor Fed. govt
1 The rate at which our universities pump out graduates will reduce therby reducing the amount they spend on nysc
2 The noise on unemployment will reduce a bit ( U cant be seeking for full employment at undergraduate level)
3 At the end they will still call off the strike
oya beffers and haters should attack me on time
believe me, you've never been more stu*pid
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Prymestrr(m): 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2013
SB Joji:

You're right my broda, if a student should cast his vote to GEJ den he doesn't know his civil right and is totally left behind..my fellow students believe me dat our votes alone can drag GEJ down..let's administer our anger by voting som1 oda dan oga @ d top
Dude, pls do tell us which plausible candidate 4 d presidencial seat do u advice us 2 vote... Mind u, i'm not rallying 4 GEJ. Just letting u know dt we haven't gat no visionary leaders in diz country. All we have everywhere are self-interest driven power mongers who won't give a 2nd thought 2 d current peril in d education sector if dey wer in GEJ's shoes. What we need is a gross national revolution.
Atimes, D current state of Nigeria as an independent nation makes me wonder if we would v bin beta off under military rule, maybe even colonial.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Smooyis(m): 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
I couldnt believe that GEJ who was himself a former university lecturer could be this insensitive to the plight of his former colleagues. Power truly corrupts.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by proffemi: 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
bheegsam: Also, is the strike still justifiable at this stage? Should ASUU sheath its sword and embrace dialogue? What can the student union bodies do to stem the tide of insensitive, sadistic and unrealistic self-seeking actions of the university lecturers year-in, year-out?

I am an academic (a "lecturer" ) and I have decided to spend some time over the next few days educating students and other stakeholders about the important issues surrounding the ASUU strike. OP's view of academics, as revealed by the excerpt from his post above, seems to be one that is very popular among students, which is unfortunate, as it is, for the most part, wrong.

To borrow from something I wrote elsewhere on this site, it is true that there is a selfish element to ASUU's strike (only to the extent that every other Nigerian is selfish, because if you don't fight for your entitlements in this country, you will never get them). However, there is a much bigger issue at play. For the sake of our future, we need to get education (especially tertiary education) right. Fact is, tertiary education is VERY expensive, and this being Nigeria, nobody wants to pay for it. Not the government, Not the students, nor their parents.

When people hear ASUU suggesting that Nigeria should spend closer to the UNESCO recommendation on education, they scoff as if there is something they know that we don't. Can you explain how GHANA (of all places; not even the US) and South Africa manage to spend such huge portions of their budget on education? And yet, the students we produce are supposed to compete with the products of those places (as well as those from the real global powerhouses, lest you forget). Let me tell you something. With the way our two educational systems are set up, Ghana has laid the foundation to be Nigeria's big brother in the next few decades. And it has started. We are already seeing a brain drain to...Ghana!

My friends, I could say, with no melodrama intended, that the current fight for tertiary education is a fight for the very future of our country.

Contrary views welcomed.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Judek2(m): 5:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
[size=18pt]ASUU should better call off this strike.. If they don't, students will take to the streets to protest, things will get out of hand, a drunk police man will shoot a student. This will trigger all the students to violence, all the cult groups in our universities will come out, it will now be CULTISTS vs SECURITY.
When this happens, there well be war, leading to famine, then people will start dying, some will start fleeing, my fatherland will be deserted, and Nigeria will go extinct..[/size]
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by castrokins(m): 5:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
ikp4succes: Solution to Assu Strike: Govt should remove thier hand from the Education sector let the universities run by themselves or privatized. The money you will give Assu give students as loan to go to these universities, you can calculate how much the student parent's can afford then give loan for the remainder, the one that is smart u give them scholarship. Students will pay back when they find a job in their field, and you can setup an installment plan depending on their income. The only thing Govt should do is regulate the school fees and give money to schools that does research...that's all. ASUU will dissolve. The professor/lecture will only have to sign Contract with university they will only have problem with the university if they are not paid. Universities can lay off lecturers if they cannot afford. I promise you within 10 years, two universities in Nigeria will enter ranking and compete with Western Universities.

BEST I HAVE READ. THUMPS UP!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by agrovick(m): 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sir which is more important Primary, secondary or tertiary education? The emphasis ASUU is laying on a better tertiary education is not just it. Primary educatn is the basics and of more importance not tertiart educatn
prof.femi:

I am an academic (a "lecturer" ) and I have decided to spend some time over the next few days educating students and other stakeholders about the important issues surrounding the ASUU strike. OP's view of academics, as revealed by the excerpt from his post above, seems to be one that is very popular among students, which is unfortunate, as it is, for the most part, wrong.

To borrow from something I wrote elsewhere on this site, it is true that there is a selfish element to ASUU's strike (only to the extent that every other Nigerian is selfish, because if you don't fight for your entitlements in this country, you will never get them). However, there is a much bigger issue at play. For the sake of our future, we need to get education (especially tertiary education) right. Fact is, tertiary education is VERY expensive, and this being Nigeria, nobody wants to pay for it. Not the government, Not the students, nor their parents.

When people hear ASUU suggesting that Nigeria should spend closer to the UNESCO recommendation on education, they scoff as if there is something they know that we don't. Can you explain how GHANA (of all places; not even the US) and South Africa manage to spend such huge portions of their budget on education? And yet, the students we produce are supposed to compete with the products of those places (as well as those from the real global powerhouses, lest you forget). Let me tell you something. With the way our two educational systems are set up, Ghana has laid the foundation to be Nigeria's big brother in the next few decades. And it has started. We are already seeing a brain drain to...Ghana!

My friends, I could say, with no melodrama intended, that the current fight for tertiary education is a fight for the very future of our country.

Contrary views welcomed.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Prymestrr(m): 5:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
prof.femi:

Contrary views welcomed.
Prof. No insult intended, but since the inception of this strike, the union(ASUU) has been insisting that their major bone of contention in the present industrial action is the implementation of the 2009 agreement signed b/w the union and the federal government. But recent developments has led us 2 believe that it's actually all about allowances and salaries and all that crap. Isn't that a very selfish move by the union?....to make it worse, the union through its spokespersons had led the public 2 believe that their major grievances is on d poor, dilapidated conditions of our tertiary institutions when in reality it's all SELFISH INTEREST. Make me understand, if u will prof.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by uceee(m): 6:02pm On Oct 08, 2013
prof.femi:

Contrary views welcomed.
My view is that ASUU have not utilised the funds available to them well. I.e school fees and all the other funds they generate. Can they then be trusted to make the best use of the funds they are demanding?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 08, 2013
The strike has just begun. And Ghana option might eventually be adopted. Together we bargain, divided we beg. Long life ASUU.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by infoscope(m): 6:04pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by taif(f): 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
u are invited

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by irukandji89(m): 6:08pm On Oct 08, 2013
Event for d day

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Antell95(m): 6:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
THANKS TO GOD 4 THIS FREE BROWSING
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by DMainMan: 6:25pm On Oct 08, 2013
Good News. Caleb University in
conjunction with Lagos State Government
is giving out scholarship award
to students to obtain free Bsc degree
programmes.

For more info, go to this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1470460/free-bsc-degree-scholarship-award
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Davidbanky(m): 6:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
i dont have anything to say ... whatever i say wontt change anything! i have lost faith in this country!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Abariwiseman: 6:28pm On Oct 08, 2013
ASUU (APC in disguise)

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by proffemi: 6:30pm On Oct 08, 2013
agrovick: Sir which is more important Primary, secondary or tertiary education? The emphasis ASUU is laying on a better tertiary education is not just it. Primary educatn is the basics and of more importance not tertiart educatn

All stages of education are important. I have averred at multiple fora that most of my students are "damaged" right from the primary school. I have a few anecdotes I could share on that. You are right, it isn't only tertiary education that is shortchanged in Nigeria, which is why when ASUU asks for 26% of the budget, its for *all* tiers of education.

Having said that, the needs of the three tiers are very different. While primary and secondary need mainly very good curricula and good teachers, tertiary education is much, much, much more expensive and requires far more expertise (there are only so many professors in the *world*). In other words, the reason why you hear so much noise about universities is that it is, like I like to say these days, *bloody* expensive. How expensive? There's a department in a global-top-5 university I am very familiar with. I'm doing a honest appraisal of what I think their facilities are worth, and I think 500 Billion Naira is about right. FOR ONE DEPARTMENT in a US university.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by proffemi: 6:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pryme-st*rr:

Prof. No insult intended...But recent developments has led us 2 believe that it's actually all about allowances and salaries and all that crap

No offence taken. Can you enlighten me as to the recent developments to which you refer? Once you do, I will be very happy to respond to the best of my abilities.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by proffemi: 6:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
uceee: My view is that ASUU have not utilised the funds available to them well. I.e school fees and all the other funds they generate. Can they then be trusted to make the best use of the funds they are demanding?

Thanks. Your post reminds me of the recent thread here https://www.nairaland.com/1467065/nairalanders-view-nigerian-varsities-infrastructures
The OP's main argument was similar to yours, i.e. that corruption is a major cause of universities' poor states. If you have the patience to go through that thread, you will see that I explained how people often underestimate how much it costs to run a university. Case in point: when I "claimed" that a university could spend up to N20 million on power bills in a month, someone immediately objected that his whole local government area does not pay that huch. Oho? Well, I can tell you for a fact that my university was given a bill of N27 million in July.

Long story short: there is corruption in the universities just like everywhere in this our country, but it (usually) isn't enough to make a big difference. The fact is that tertiary education is just expensive. Check a few posts above where I estimate the facilities of one department that I know in the US at N500 Billion.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Prymestrr(m): 6:46pm On Oct 08, 2013
prof.femi:

No insult taken. Can you enlighten me as to the recent developments to which you refer? Once you do, I will be very happy to respond to the best of my abilities.
By recent developments, i mean d constant breach or should i say deadlock in every single dialogue that has taken place in respect to the strike, and the supposed cause of such as stated by both parties concerned. Of recent, an article was released online that the actual amount of funds demanded by the union is N3 trillion. Isn't that outrageous?... And believe u me that if the funds if any, is released, it will never be used for the supposed purpose for which it was released but instead will be shared amongst the inner quorum of those who will think by then that afterall, they alone fought for it.
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by Vetsurgeon: 6:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
All i got to say is thank God for still being alive today... For ASUU i would have been killed by an accident on my way to port in search of sumtin to engage in doing... And may God intervene...
Re: ASUU Strike Day 100: Share Your Thoughts by proffemi: 6:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pryme-st*rr:

By recent developments, i mean d constant breach or should i say deadlock in every single dialogue that has taken place in respect to the strike, and the supposed cause of such as stated by both parties concerned. Of recent, an article was released online that the actual amount of funds demanded by the union is N3 trillion. Isn't that outrageous?... And believe u me that if the funds if any, is released, it will never be used for the supposed purpose for which it was released but instead will be shared amongst the inner quorum of those who will think by then that afterall, they alone fought for it.

Ah, that. Well, I am not privy to negotiations, but I think that when you initiate dialogue with someone and he is speaking what you would term "opata", it's best to stop that dialog until you are on the same wavelength. What do I mean by opata? In 2009, the FG agreed with ASUU that the educational system was in trouble. They agreed that more serious action was needed. FG promised that starting 2012, they would inject 100B Naira, and then 400B annually till 2015. Remember, this money is to revamp the infrastructure of the universities. Remember, government apparently saw the light then and promised this money.

Now fast forward to 2013. No 100B last year. No sign of anything else coming (not even our dear smiley earned allowances ). ASUU decides, as any rational being would, that government is not serious. Goes on strike. Government call's ASUU to negotiate and treats the issue as if its only about earned allowance. They dole out a portion of the allowances, and then try to do sleight of hand with the more important infrastructure issue. If you were ASUU, and you truly believed that the system needed the intervention we claimed in it needed as far back as 2009, what would you do

As to whether the funds would be used for the intended purposes, you are not God. Neither you nor I can guarantee that. I can however assure you that the universities possess the greatest share of principled individuals in Nigeria (why else, as someone has observed, are lecturers always used for election duties globally?). So, that point is moot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ghanaian Students Attack Teachers For Not Allowing Them Cheat In WASSCE / How To Check NECO 2019 June/july Result With Your Mobile Phone / 14-Year-Old Eshiet Abasiekeme Wins UBA Essay Competition, Gets ₦2.5 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.