Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,315 members, 7,887,959 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:56 PM

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox (72164 Views)

How The Crashed Bristow Helicopter Was Transported To Lagos (photos) / Crashed Plane Carrying Agagu's Remains (Video) / VIDEO: How The Plane Crashed In Lagos (Ikeja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Sike(m): 11:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
Oh please! Is the Captain still alive or make i come kill am myself?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by dnawah(m): 11:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
R u sure that he is not the one that cause the malfunction or purposely refused to use it.HARAM BOKO things on my mind
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
ndu_chucks: @manny4life, can we agree that the decision to proceed with takeoff by the pilot was a bad decision? Would you also agree with me that it is not uncommon to proceed with takeoff, given the flap alarm, provided that the pilot believes that, if enough lift is not achieved, then he could safely abort takeoff?

If you are honest, you'd agree that the pilot planned to abort the flight in case the flaps failed, but aborting the flight was impossible because the aircraft was not air worthy in the first place. ko kwa?

I don't know what their Standard Operating Procedure is, it will be unfair to say if it's a bad decision or not, however, what I do know is deploying flaps for takeoff is standard for most airplanes/airlines... Heck, I'm searching for "takeoff checklist" for the Emb-120.

I also agree that pilots have the discretion to decide whether to deploy the flaps or not, however, there isn't some kind of gauge in the cockpit that tells you "oh you have enough lift", that's why there is a SOP. Your SOP assumes that at 80% N1, 135kts, flaps 10degs, you can comfortably rotate at say 7-12deg. However, like I said, there isn't any gauge that tells you "oh you have enough lift", so when you deviate, you have to gain more "AIRSPEED" say 160kts as opposed to arming your flaps... Hope you get my drift.

Ok the last part did not make any sense at all, the pilot had until 80kts to abort, 80kts is V1, but the report stated that the FO never called out the speed. To further add, the FO was monitoring the controls, and when he realized something wasn't right, he asked the pilot to abort, instead, he said NO... WE'RE PROCEEDING WITH TAKEOFF ROLL.. And you say he tried to abort? Abort where?

Besides, the flaps are just a flight control, you arm the flaps during taxi or before takeoff, so whether he armed it or not, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. He had good time to arm it before time but failed to, again, it's wrong practice to extend flaps during takeoff, rather you retract it.

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 11:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sike: Oh please! Is the Captain still alive or make i come kill am myself?
he has been arrested by the police
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by jahbiz: 11:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
And the minister was telling us "accident is inevitable" what a leader!
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by hollypagan: 11:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
IF YOU READ THE PILOT AND CO , YOU LL NOTICE ITS TERRORIST NAME

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 11:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
babyosisi:

And so what
Aren't there Yoruba Boko haramites
If truly he ignored warning signs,his corpse should be exhumed and flogged with sharia koboko before reburial
Nonsense
ol boy you wicked pass satan,kai I no fit laugh
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Cmfrt001(f): 11:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
baybiemee: And a heartless fellow said it was an act of God
don't mind them. They feel we are all ignorant and ones God(a supernatural being) is been mentioned, it will cover up their negligence and carelessness. Am so happy to announce to them that 'we don port ooo'. Enough is enough. We are on their case(s).
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ilebaami: 11:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
Orlando Owoh: I suspect something fishy; until this is confirmed by a foreign body like our NCAA, I remain indifferent. This report may have been doctored to save the job of Stella Oduah and the rot in the aviation sector which is shrounded in the deceit peddled in airport renovation.
. Stella Oduah is a better aviation minister than the previous three ministers including loud mouth FFK. Incidentally OBJ worked with SW aviation ministers with mediocre results.

2 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by donphilopus: 11:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
clint77ng: Am not saying that it was an act of God, but y did femi kayode use prayers during his time to avert crashes?
because he believed/believes in God
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
Gat it, coming right up

Checklist for the Emb 120
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by aronbillz: 11:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Em don 2 watch ''after earth''.my guy no fear even wen warning dey warn am
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Dee60: 11:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
What a hopeless situation we have here with people defending a minister or a ministry under whose coverage this has happened. So pathetic that Nigerians have become stupidly tribalistic. There is a clear suspicion that the aircraft was not airworthy. If that is the case, there is no way the ministry of aviation can be absolved. That ministry should just own up and clean up.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 11:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
icon aus:

Yes it was destined to happening despite warning - Now people should not blame the Minister . accidents occurs every where . When it is bound to happen it ll will happen . Sometimes it is a result of human errror or the pilot , in this situation how can you blame the Minister .If a driver of a vehicle is drunk and accident happens- who do you blame .

i think the westerners should stop going against public servants who re not from their zones . Minister of Aviation is receiving all these becuase she tries to correct the loopsidedness in the distribution of vital offices in the avaitaion which was occupied in the past by one tribe. (yorubas ) . Obj ruled for 8 yr s and the north for 40 yrs no such criticism was meted out to public officers who hailed from those regions despite high scale of maladministration which has put Nigeria in this position. This is the reason why GEJ is calling for national conference .

Let me clarify something here - yorubas are crying for marginalisation under GEJ . But when you view this critically this is not so . in the past, most govt positions would go North and the west . But now every region is given a fair go to top govt positions . Now you can see officers from the minority regions occupying vital positions unlike befroe and this appears that the west is being marginalised . This is the first time post war it appears that equity has been established though the north is still favoured a bit . We should give GEJ kudos . The west should stop whining and stop trying to pull GEJ administration down for trying to correct the ill of the past administration in terms of sharing the natioanal entitlements .
na wa for your grammar o,what is "it was destined to happening" and "accidents occurs"abeg no kill us for here,no be ny force to speak english
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Pre-Taxi:
Flaps 8
Release Parking Brake (“.”)
Taxi to departure runway - set parking brake when holding short of departure runway

Pre-Takeoff:
Check parking brake set
Check Set to Flaps 8
Check engine operating normally
Taxi into position and hold

Takeoff:
Release Parking Brake
Set power to maximum thrust (full throttle)
V1 = 115 Knots (Decision Speed)
Vr = 125 Knots (Rotate Speed)
Initial climb at 15 BA (Body Angle)
Positive Rate Of Climb - Gear Up
Retract Flaps at 150 KIAS (Knots Indicated Airspeed)

Post Takeoff:

Check gear up
Check flaps up
Throttle set to hold airspeed at 250 KIAS or below

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by nduchucks: 11:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

I don't know what their Standard Operating Procedure is, it will be unfair to say if it's a bad decision or not, however, what I do know is deploying flaps for takeoff is standard for most airplanes/airlines... Heck, I'm searching for "takeoff checklist" for the Emb-120.

I also agree that pilots have the discretion to decide whether to deploy the flaps or not, however, there isn't some kind of gauge in the cockpit that tells you "oh you have enough lift", that's why there is a SOP. Your SOP assumes that at 80% N1, 135kts, flaps 10degs, you can comfortably rotate at say 7-12deg. However, like I said, there isn't any gauge that tells you "oh you have enough lift", so when you deviate, you have to gain more "AIRSPEED" say 160kts as opposed to arming your flaps... Hope you get my drift.

Ok the last part did not make any sense at all, the pilot had until 80kts to abort, 80kts is V1, but the report stated that the FO never called out the speed. To further add, the FO was monitoring the controls, and when he realized something wasn't right, he asked the pilot to abort, instead, he said NO... WE'RE PROCEEDING WITH TAKEOFF ROLL.. And you say he tried to abort? Abort where?

Besides, the flaps are just a flight control, you arm the flaps during taxi or before takeoff, so whether he armed it or not, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. He had good time to arm it before time but failed to, again, it's wrong practice to extend flaps during takeoff, rather you retract it.

I think we all agree that not engaging the flap in of itself is not enough to cause a crash, all other things being equal. We are told that the crew decided not to use the flap during takeoff. It seems to me as if the real cause of the crash is the following as noted in the AIB report:

“Approximately three seconds after ‘power is set’ call, the First Officer noted that the aircraft was moving slowly."

I submit that the aircraft was moving slowly and could not attain enough lift for successful takeoff. Additionally, the condition of the aircraft made abortion impossible. The responsible parties in my mind, are those responsible for air safety.

If you can show us that this aircraft would have successfully taken of if the pilot had used the flap, then I'm all ears.

BTW: The protocol you posted up there is applicable when flap is used. Using flap for takeoff is not mandatory in this case, else AIB would have screamed pilot irresponsibility right away!
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
ndu_chuks,

I hope this solves your problem, but then again, I'd like to see the SOP of this aircraft.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
icon aus:

so u re blaming the Minister and not the pilot . people re unfair in this world . plane occurs every where including USA etc . U guys re terrible and bigots
what is plane occurs everywhere?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ilebaami: 11:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
samleey: To me, this report was fabricated by the AIB, because the pilot cannot defend himself now. Yoruba will say " Oku ni won ma n paro month" meaning you can only lied against the dead because he cannot defend himself again. Our Aviation sector need to be reshuffle. Firstly any Aircraft dat is more than 10 years must not be use Locally in this country. 2nd, any aircraft that is more than 5 years must not be use internationally.

. Your yoruba is miles better than your English. Use it more often.

4 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by nduchucks: 11:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life: ndu_chuks,

I hope this solves your problem, but then again, I'd like to see the SOP of this aircraft.

Read my post just before you posted the above.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by vislabraye(m): 11:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
gbanikiti: Whoever is blaming the pilot is not in his right senses. The same silly mistake happened in the Dana crash.The Dana plane was to embark on its 5th trip and the pilot complained about the plane. The NCAA authorities headed by Harold Damuren approved the plane to embark on the suicidal journey knowing well the plane had developed engine problems.What then happened?

No sane pilot will fly a faulty plane. NEVER!!

After listening to the flight record, we should exonorate the pilot ? But why were the pilots arguing amongst themselves ? Its obvious that things were not right. You don't know better than the professionals. Its just the mindset of "we fit manage am". That's the same negligence vehicle owners commit.

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Richy4(m): 11:42pm On Oct 11, 2013
A 787 Dreamliner bound for Japan was forced to turn around and fly back to Russia after toilets on the plane refused to flush, operator Japan Airlines (JAL) said Thursday.
The Boeing plane carrying 151 crew members and passengers left Moscow late Wednesday for Narita airport east of Tokyo but returned two hours later, a JAL spokesman said.
And Nigerian Pilot could not listen to serious warnings only to waste precious lives angry

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 11:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kennysazzy: I wonder oo let them start talking poo. That pilot I know him verry well he studied in UK , has 3 wifes and 12 children. How can such a person deicide to go on a suicide mission. He is nothing less than 68 years old. What experience is needed again na. Political stunt I tell u .. And they know so well the dead can't speak so they can talk all they wnt. Rip to the dead.
3 wives and 12 children?no wonder,the man take style run away from his responsibilities.Hmmm he no easy
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I think we all agree that not engaging the flap in of itself is not enough to cause a crash, all other things being equal. We are told that the crew decided not to use the flap during takeoff. It seems to me as if the real cause of the crash is the following as noted in the AIB report:

“Approximately three seconds after ‘power is set’ call, the First Officer noted that the aircraft was moving slowly."

I submit that the aircraft was moving slowly and could not attain enough lift for successful takeoff. Additionally, the condition of the aircraft made abortion impossible. The responsible parties in my mind, are those responsible for air safety.

If you can show us that this aircraft would have successfully taken of of the pilot had used the flap, then I'm all ears.

The pilot not extending flaps wasn't the cause, at least I will believe, what I'm saying is that flaps does help @ lower speeds, so if you would rotate at 135kts using 8degs flaps, without flaps, it has to be about 160kts.

Look, bottom line is that the pilot DID NOT have enough power to generate lift...PERIOD. Heck his FO never called out Vr, so why did he rotate when he didn't hear the call out speed? According to the same report, they could gather that he rotated at about 95kts which falls below the guidelines for Vr at 125ktas. So yes, when he rotated, there wasn't enough lift to hold the aircraft, he STALLED.

Again, flaps has nothing to do with takeoff, flaps ONLY helps increasing lift @ slower speed (before/during takeoff roll), that is what your taught in flight school.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by nduchucks: 11:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

The pilot not extending flaps wasn't the cause, at least I will believe, what I'm saying is that flaps does help @ lower speeds, so if you would rotate at 135kts using 8degs flaps, without flaps, it has to be about 160kts.

Look, bottom line is that the pilot DID NOT have enough power to generate lift...PERIOD. Heck his FO never called out Vr, so why did he rotate when he didn't hear the call out speed? According to the same report, they could gather that he rotated at about 95kts which falls below the guidelines for Vr at 125ktas. So yes, when he rotated, there wasn't enough lift to hold the aircraft, he STALLED.

Again, flaps has nothing to do with takeoff, flaps ONLY helps increasing lift @ slower speed (before/during takeoff roll), that is what your taught in flight school.

So would you have expected an aircraft in tip top shape and which is air worthy, to have generated enough power to generate the necessary lift? I would say yes. That would mean that this aircraft was not supposed to be taking off in the first place. Do you have any other explanation for why enough power was not generated? Would that be pilot error as well?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by eightsin(m): 11:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
person dey fear whn car gv am sign talkless of plane.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by omotoyemco(m): 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
So sad
May the souls of all the departed rest in peace
Amen.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by dude22: 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Its a lesson to everyone reading this. This country will not change unless we change our perception of life n values. Nigerians are stupid in nature n believe that they can pass through a wall against all odds.Transporters are same. Vehicles are designed for each seat n capacity for carriage. Does anyone care about health and safety ? Is their health and safety regulations as there are in developed countries you copy their blueprint of democracy and systems. Even if there is, does anyone enforce it and if not are Nigerians questioning the vendors of such responsibility on their performance and ethics. No where in the word are people accepting every thing from politicians without holding them accountable for their non performance. Direct your pressure of every polician every where becox its public office n public accountability. Demonstrate until they leave office. You sent them on public errand, equity demands they come back to those who sent them n render account or face the wrap of the electorate.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 11:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
ndu_chuks,

Please answer these questions

1. According to radar information and propeller testing, it was gathered that the pilot rotated at 95kts, this falls below the guideline, why did he rotate?

2. According to same report, the first officer NEVER called out V1, Vr speed, why did the pilot rotate when he never heard his FO call it out?

3. We're having an argument about the warning sign, yes he has the discretion, but was it a WISE decision to ignore such warnings?

4. His FO asked for an abort because he sensed trouble on the flight instruments, yet he told him he will continue the take off roll.

5. Like AIB raised concerns, clear indications showed that they did not follow some procedures, so who's fault is it?

6. AIB also reported that upon takeoff, the right engine had less thrust than the left, are you saying this was a mere coincidence? Doesn't it show that the pilots never had enough thrust (power) to lift their aircraft, so does it come as a surprise that the left engine had less power?

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by IYANGBALI: 12:02am On Oct 12, 2013
Policewoman: Who knows if the Chief Pilot was a suicide bomber? lipsrsealed
go sidon,you think say na bribe we dey share for here?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by manny4life(m): 12:06am On Oct 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

So would you have expected an aircraft in tip top shape and which is air worthy, to have generated enough power to generate the necessary lift? I would say yes. That would mean that this aircraft was not supposed to be taking off in the first place. Do you have any other explanation for why enough power was not generated? Would that be pilot error as well?

All airworthy aircraft should be able to generate lift , so whether you're in tip top shape or top tip shape, as long as it's airworthy. How do you mean it wasn't supposed to be taking off in the first place?

ndu, I really don't know how to explain this to you, there's no other way an airplane generate power (thrust) if not from the engines. On the flight instrument panel, your engines are measured from 0 to 100%, an engine spinning at 80% N1 power shows it's well enough, but an engine showing 40% power is sick and wise people should do what? ABORT Immediately. So yes, that's a pilot error.

There was another Colgan flight that had the same issue, both pilots were arguing as usual, and the FO forgot to to advance second throttle, rather than taking off, he aborted but sped off the runway. There goes your option when you forget.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by nduchucks: 12:21am On Oct 12, 2013
manny4life:

All airworthy aircraft should be able to generate lift , so whether you're in tip top shape or top tip shape, as long as it's airworthy. How do you mean it wasn't supposed to be taking off in the first place?

ndu, I really don't know how to explain this to you, there's no other way an airplane generate power (thrust) if not from the engines. On the flight instrument panel, your engines are measured from 0 to 100%, an engine spinning at 80% N1 power shows it's well enough, but an engine showing 40% power is sick and wise people should do what? ABORT Immediately. So yes, that's a pilot error.

There was another Colgan flight that had the same issue, both pilots were arguing as usual, and the FO forgot to to advance second throttle, rather than taking off, he aborted but sped off the runway. There goes your option when you forget.

I know too much about our people to believe what we are told, hook, line, and sinker. The first thing which should have been established is whether or not the aircraft was airworthy. Do you know why we have not yet been shown any evidence of the aircraft's airworthiness? Its because the evidence does not exist.

This AIB report is designed for people like you to reach the conclusions which you are reaching, so their mission is accomplished. I refuse to be gullible enough to fall for their explanation so soon.If you have any evidence that the aircraft did not have mechanical issues which made both takeoff and the abortion of the takeoff impossible, lets hear it.

Nwanne m, this unfortunate mishap has become politicized to the extent that one must shine his eyes well well. The easiest thing to do is to lie against dead pilots. These people are shameless, in my view.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.