Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,925 members, 7,872,978 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:56 AM

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox (72109 Views)

How The Crashed Bristow Helicopter Was Transported To Lagos (photos) / Crashed Plane Carrying Agagu's Remains (Video) / VIDEO: How The Plane Crashed In Lagos (Ikeja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Thetruthsayer: 7:17am On Oct 12, 2013
Are both d pilot and d captain dead too?. This is how God want it. So, i see no reason to blame eigther the pilot/captain or stella oduoah. Everything will not happen except with the permission of God. So, why cant we just take it as "thats what God wishes"?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Olubeey(f): 7:19am On Oct 12, 2013
All these cock and bull stories don't go down well with me....if it's dt easy and quick to conclude a report then they should release the report on dana airline too npw.....what a country!!!!!! undecided
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by zabson(m): 7:23am On Oct 12, 2013
CFCfan:
Amen grin
I've learned a lot from your analysis and that of Sandee.
shebe? Na dying things be dat.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Reference(m): 7:31am On Oct 12, 2013
manny4life: Some key parts to review

Question to this part, since there was no call out, did the Pilot (captain flying the aircraft), start rotating after the 80knot call out? undecided undecided

Whatever the flap settings were, whatever the conversation or cockpit misunderstandings were, whatever the aircraft was saying. The Captain got that aircraft into the air. I would reconsider these factors if earlier reports that he attempted a return to MMIA are refuted because to return he would have had to reconfigure all these settings and perhaps corrected his mistakes inculding anything to do with the autopilot I dare say. I believe something else brought that plane down.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by davdandam(m): 7:34am On Oct 12, 2013
Point of correction, flaps do not generate lift, it's just part of an aircraft control surface used for pitching. All lift comes from the thrust that is being generated by the engines.

In this scenario, both the inability of the flaps to deploy and the lost of power from one of the engine lead to the crash. If I should analyze what happened, the pilots took off from the run way pitching the plane at a wide angle of attack (aoa). However, when it's time to pitch down or reduce the angle of attack of the aircraft after the pilot might had completed the ascension stage, the flaps developed faults. Moreover, the lift-to-drag (L/D) ratio tends to be very low at the end of ascending stage, which if not properly control will stall the aircraft, i.e. the aircraft will loose lift not matter the thrust the engine is producing.

To cut all the technical jargon, at the end of the ascension stage, the pitch was high (wide angle of attack) and the flaps used for controlling the pitch developed fault, the aircraft stalled due to low L/D ratio and came crashing down.
I disagree 100 percent,flaps do not control angle of attack,flap generate additional life.they re called lift augumentin devices,they re used to generate lift at low speed so ur aircraft can av a shorter take off and a lower landin speed
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Kingspin(m): 7:35am On Oct 12, 2013
If you talk about resignation than all public office holders should do so now they have the same problem past and present. We know some element calling for stella Oduah to be sack or resign are doing so because they think that their brother or sister should be the one doing the remodelling in our airports. This is Nigeria most cases we speak out when it didnt favour us. The guilty ones among us know what am saying. These are people who will never and ever see good things in what GEJ, the work minister, finance and the likes is doing. Negative minded fellows. If you want to know who is doing better take a close look at your state performance, is your gov. putting smiles across the masses and if you think your govnor is doing wonders so is it at federal level.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by donphilopus: 7:36am On Oct 12, 2013
joe_ekuns:

How can you say that? Even if he was suspended for 5yrs or even threatened of being fired is it enough to put his life or other's in danger Haven't you heard the saying when there is life there is hope?
you should try and understand that, i'm equally blaming the guy na
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Exline101: 7:48am On Oct 12, 2013
Infact d Captain na Boko Haram member
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by peterozavi: 7:51am On Oct 12, 2013
una sure say Boko Haram neva pay d pilot to kill d govt officials onboard? Dats y e abot d msg sha. Wicked man!. God pass dem!
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by abdulaminu: 8:00am On Oct 12, 2013
this just an act of negligence, and this should b a lesson to other pilot, when things don't work perfectly they should not take the risk of flying plsssssssss
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by oluboyo04(m): 8:11am On Oct 12, 2013
the first officer should have pointed his gun on the pilot's head and ask him to abort the take off immediately.

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by airoport: 8:31am On Oct 12, 2013
baybiemee: And a heartless fellow said it was an act of God

1000 likes!

A lazy blanket coverup for Nigerian public servants' incompetence. Shameless lot.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Jomark(m): 9:10am On Oct 12, 2013
Tintinix: ....And Stella Oduah should resign because of a blatant disregard for safety warnings!!!!!!
...she will cuz she is the captain that ignored the warnings. Useless people
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Jomark(m): 9:14am On Oct 12, 2013
ndu_chucks: In Nigeria, even the blackbox recording can be doctored for political gains. Don't let them put the wool over your eyes. No sane pilot will risk his own life by ignoring such a warning and take off anyway, unless he is a kamakaze pilot. Nonesense!!
...yeah no sane pilot will do so..except you and abdulrahaman
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Jomark(m): 9:20am On Oct 12, 2013
ba7man: Enforcing safe practices in Aviation is far more important than analyzing a Black Box in Nigeria.

If there are no Plane crashes, there won't be Black box analysis. Why walk through Refurbished Airports to board rickety, unsafe Planes??
...I can't understand your argument. Is there a country which never had a plane crash? And is the black box not part of safety enhancements? You are simply bacchanaling the argument to avoid admitting that the fault wasn't from the minister. It was purely the pilot's.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Victormessi(m): 9:28am On Oct 12, 2013
Funny personality,ignorance is not just a desease but also death
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Tabanaku: 9:29am On Oct 12, 2013
moscobabs: so who 1st die now??

see Jamb question
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OmoTier1(m): 9:32am On Oct 12, 2013
manny4life:

You know exactly what I meant, unless you're trying to pick my exact words. Flaps cause drags as well as help in generating lifts at slower speeds.

Like I was thought in ground school, thrust DOES NOT generate lift, thrust is the power (N1 and N2) that generate power which propels the aircraft forward direction causing enough airflow over the wings, with a little curvature from the flaps, causing the aircraft to lift when you pull back on the controls.

When you talk about pitch/yaw, that's the elevator/rudder controls, that's something totally different.

Thank you
Having avoided commenting in this forum for a very very long time due to how this forum has been turned into a place for display of ignorance, I just could not but respond to you on this issue!

You sir are one ignorant fellow to have made the statement that Thrust DOES NOT generate lift.

Simply, Lift (L) =1/2. x density x velocity^2 x referenced surface area x Lift Coefficient (CL) ....equation (1)

As you Sir can see from the equation (1) Lift is function of velocity, air density, referenced surface area, and the non-dimensional Lift coefficient.

You Sir need to explain why a thin Plate without a Flap/slat still lift in the wind tunnel based on Von Karma's lift principles based on vortices?

I shall comment on the preliminary findings from the AIB and also reference one of the paragraphs in the report you quoted where cues were given and yet you completely missed it.

Hint: Why did the DFDR not record the aircraft speed which is one of the primary variables we tend to use a lot in the other derivatives we code into the DFRD? Go back and read your post and the referenced paragraph of that report.

Your comments on Pitch and Yaw gave you away. I can prove to your that an aircraft can pitch up, yaw without elevators/rudder!

Hints2 : Aircraft doing a "coordinated turn" with a bank angle less than 90degs.

I await your answers with due patience smiley

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Opiosko: 9:34am On Oct 12, 2013
ba7man: Enforcing safe practices in Aviation is far more important than analyzing a Black Box in Nigeria.

If there are no Plane crashes, there won't be Black box analysis. Why walk through Refurbished Airports to board rickety, unsafe Planes??
Yes, exactly my point. The Minister must be sacked because she ought to be physically checking every plane before take off with a wipe in her hand to make sure pilots adheres strictly to rules. I'm sick of slowpokes like you.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Tabanaku: 9:37am On Oct 12, 2013
mac-delene:
So the pilot paid less concern abt d life of his passengers and decided to gamble wit it. He is think that there was were planestops in d air where he would park d plane if it breakdown? Its just that u can't sue d dead I would ave said d families of those decease should sue but RIP to d dead.

He is think that there was were planestops in d air where he would park d plane if it breakdown?

Oga which school u go? See english o
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Tabanaku: 9:37am On Oct 12, 2013
mac-delene:
So the pilot paid less concern abt d life of his passengers and decided to gamble wit it. He is think that there was were planestops in d air where he would park d plane if it breakdown? Its just that u can't sue d dead I would ave said d families of those decease should sue but RIP to d dead.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OmoTier1(m): 9:38am On Oct 12, 2013
davdandam:
Point of correction, flaps do not generate lift, it's just part of an aircraft control surface used for pitching. All lift comes from the thrust that is being generated by the engines.

In this scenario, both the inability of the flaps to deploy and the lost of power from one of the engine lead to the crash. If I should analyze what happened, the pilots took off from the run way pitching the plane at a wide angle of attack (aoa). However, when it's time to pitch down or reduce the angle of attack of the aircraft after the pilot might had completed the ascension stage, the flaps developed faults. Moreover, the lift-to-drag (L/D) ratio tends to be very low at the end of ascending stage, which if not properly control will stall the aircraft, i.e. the aircraft will loose lift not matter the thrust the engine is producing.

To cut all the technical jargon, at the end of the ascension stage, the pitch was high (wide angle of attack) and the flaps used for controlling the pitch developed fault, the aircraft stalled due to low L/D ratio and came crashing down.
I disagree 100 percent,flaps do not control angle of attack,flap generate additional life.they re called lift augumentin devices,they re used to generate lift at low speed so ur aircraft can av a shorter take off and a lower landin speed

You again Sir, have your head in the right place. Too many wannabes commenting based on little they know and claiming to be experts smiley
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by taharqa: 9:41am On Oct 12, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

You again Sir, have your head in the right place. Too many wannabes commenting based on little they know and claiming to be experts smiley
Good Lawd!!! I thought you died!.... Thank God o grin grin
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ikeyman00(m): 9:41am On Oct 12, 2013
@@@@

davdandam(m): 7:34am

Point of correction, flaps do not generate lift, it's just part of an aircraft control surface used for pitching. All lift comes from the thrust that is being generated by the engines

By the way i tell u to ur face u are talking nonesense; absolutely bullsssssssssssssssss! Useless opposition that will never see anything good; useless opposition that tell us the timing of SNC is bla blah

who told u thrust generate lift; so why then plane got wings; ehh? make una hold me for nl; i go break bottle for una head one day!the air flow under the wing is slower than top of the wing; the extraction and elevation of the flap can either compress more air under the wing or reduce then lift is generated.

now next time u are on board make sure u sit near the window; then take note as take off incidental happens as the flaps are almost fully extracted but as soon as the plane reaches its flying altitude then watch as the flap are retracted!

now question; do u still call for resignation after this shocked
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by VULCAN(m): 9:47am On Oct 12, 2013
Very interesting discussion between manny and ndu chuks. I was hoping to hear from more pilots(especially commercial) and aeronautical engineers so that we could get a even more rounded perspective on what happened. Thanks to Anyanwu for shedding more light on this.

But it seems that manny and ndu chuks are attempting to blame either pilot error or lack of airworthiness respectively as the cause of the crash. Who said that it had to be mutually exclusive? It appears to me that it was a mixture of both. Eyewitness account by Feyi and his in-law said the plane was in a very poor state and the discussion in the cockpit(which AIB alluded to but refused to elaborate on) gives credence to this.

And where are the Nigerian nairaland pilots and engineers? Seems there are so few. Sad. Just like the Dana crash thread. It was a foreigner who came on the thread and was a friend of the dead pilot that gave a clear idea of what might have happened.

As to some asserting that the speed of the preliminary report's release is too fast- I would like to say that the voice recorder is just a tape that records conversations just like our phones and mp3's so what's the big deal? Even a child can listen to a conversation and report it within 5mins. Analyzing the Data Recorder is where the real work is. That will take much longer and requires real expertise.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ikeyman00(m): 9:49am On Oct 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I think we all agree that not engaging the flap in of itself is not enough to cause a crash, all other things being equal. We are told that the crew decided not to use the flap during takeoff. It seems to me as if the real cause of the crash is the following as noted in the AIB report:

hahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OmoTier1(m): 9:51am On Oct 12, 2013
taharqa: Good Lawd!!! I thought you died!.... Thank God o grin grin
Dead? I have much better things in life to engage simpletons especially of your kind in unproductive discuss. This is a one off to correct the blissful ignorance on display.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OmoTier1(m): 9:53am On Oct 12, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@@

davdandam(m): 7:34am

By the way i tell u to ur face u are talking nonesense; absolutely bullsssssssssssssssss! Useless opposition that will never see anything good; useless opposition that tell us the timing of SNC is bla blah

who told u thrust generate lift; so why then plane got wings; ehh? make una hold me for nl; i go break bottle for una head one day!the air flow under the wing is slower than top of the wing; the extraction and elevation of the flap can either compress more air under the wing or reduce then lift is generated.

now next time u are on board make sure u sit near the window; then take note as take off incidental happens as the flaps are almost fully extracted but as soon as the plane reaches its flying altitude then watch as the flap are retracted!

now question; do u still call for resignation after this shocked

You Sir, this is one load of tosh! Arrant Nonsense and a complete trash smiley

Now can We go back to the AIB report, though preliminary, perhaps we can deduce 2 and 2 to make a 4 wink wink
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ikeyman00(m): 9:54am On Oct 12, 2013
@@@

older plane like the ones u see in ww2 might have fixed wing but im pretty sure the angle of the propeller could be change

so this useless opposition wetin again
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OmoTier1(m): 9:55am On Oct 12, 2013
VULCAN: Very interesting discussion between manny and ndu chuks. I was hoping to hear from more pilots(especially commercial) and aeronautical engineers so that we could get a even more rounded perspective on what happened. Thanks to Anyanwu for shedding more light on this.

But it seems that manny and ndu chuks are attempting to blame pilot error or lack of airworthiness respectively as the cause of the crash. Who said that it had to be mutually exclusive? It appears to me that it was a mixture of both. Eyewitness account by Feyi and his in-law said the plane was in a very poor state and the discussion in the cockpit(which AIB alluded to but refused to elaborate on) gives credence to this.

And where are the Nigerian nairaland pilots and engineers? Seems there are so few. Sad. Just like the Dana crash thread. It was a foreigner who came on the thread and was a friend of the dead pilot that gave a clear idea of what might have happened.

As to some asserting that the speed of the preliminary report's release is too fast- I would like to say that the voice recorder is just a tape that records conversations just like our phones and mp3's so what's the big deal? Even a child can listen to a conversation and report it within 5mins. Analyzing the Data Recorder is where the real work is. That will take much longer and requires real expertise.

Perhaps we need to go back to the report itself before engaging in insinuations?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ikeyman00(m): 9:57am On Oct 12, 2013
@@@omo

You Sir, this is one load of tosh! Arrant Nonsense and a complete trash smiley

Now can We go back to the AIB report, though preliminary, perhaps we can deduce 2 and 2 to make a 4 wink wink

bigman keep talking to ur self ooo

yes u can never change the fundamentals as u wish

teacher hope u?

typical basic engineer with all the papers yet can produce nothing; that can never intimidate us; be ware

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics / My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.