Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,840 members, 7,872,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:45 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (462) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (456993 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by honeyad(m): 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
Stevecrun.. I sent you a pm.. Kindly reply.. Tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 4:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dear All,

Please prepare well and make sure to come to America with a lot of money. Just like several people have said in the past days, it could be so tough as an international with no funding. The schools and embassies assume that you have the means to come here to study and that is why they both ask to see statement of accounts. Most people go to the embassy painting a picture of their parents sponsoring them and one would be astonished with the millions of naira in the statement of account they present to the V.Os. Sometimes, I keep wondering, and wonder if the millions in those accounts disappeared right after collecting the Visa.

That said, for undergraduates without any form of scholarships, and who can't afford enough money to attend a university, this goes to you. Please try to apply, and get a community college admission before coming here. Community colleges are cheap and you can easily transfer there and spend your first two years of college paying a cheaper tuition before going back to the university for your last 2 years. This would be so beneficial as your first 2 years would expose you to a lot of things which include meeting the right people. If you are not offered any form of scholarship as part of your admission packages; please do not come to the U.S at all expecting manna from heaven - It doesn't happen in most cases. You really have to come here with your finances well planned else you fall out of status. Life as an illegal immigrant is not what I pray anybody I know should experience; it is really tough.

For grad students who don't have the money, please make sure you get some form of funding from your school before coming. If not, make sure there is a promise you will get one before your second year in the program. Also, make sure you come for a degree that makes economic sense to the United States. You will fully understand the benefit of this by the time you graduate. I will always respect those folks on here who have decided to defer their admissions or look for a cheaper school or a community college so they can have a control of their finances in the US. Again, you guys will always earn my respect.

In any case, be well prepared financially for your first year of school in the United States. Do not let the words "hope" or "assume" be in your dictionary at all when coming here as a first timer. However, things tends to become easier the more you stay in the country. Many of us have passed through this, and many times we have gotten discouraged and wanted to give up. Many times we've had to summon up courage and keep fighting, and make sure never to derail or loose focus. The real heroes and heroines are those who despite all odds completed their studies even with good grades.

The United States is a land of opportunity where you are allowed to become what you want. There are several ways to getting a green card, and the process can be faster if you are educated. These days, most men and woman want a man/woman who is well educated and that has a great potential. Your US-born or naturalized bf/gf would take you serious or be ready to marry you if you are well educated. Your company would be ready to file for you if you are well educated and have the skills. You can file for yourself if in a PhD program or have a PhD with some publications. As you can see, all still boils down to being educated.

Life could be tough at the start in the United States but just like the sages would say; there would always be light at the end of the tunnel. Staying focused and determined are the two keys. Of course, putting GOD almighty first is the ultimate. With HIM, everything will fall in place. As a way of giving back to NL, if there is anyone coming to California and needs a place to stay before school resumes, such person should pm me as I may be able to work things out for him/her.

Good luck to everyone.

26 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by teddyrain(m): 4:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
davidgunther:

Does he have a social security number? Does he have credit scores? Well as I said earlier, there might be but I don't know of them. And why apply for loans, which you have to pay back with interest when you can get a scholarship? Probably the loan is from his school. My friend just told me some schools do that but you have to pay up before they give you your certificate after your studies.
hmm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 4:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP: Dear All,

Please prepare well and make sure to come to America with a lot of money. Just like several people have said in the past days, it could be so tough as an international with no funding. The schools and embassies assume that you have the means to come here to study and that is why they both ask to see statement of accounts. Most people go to the embassy painting a picture of their parents sponsoring them and one would be astonished with the millions of naira in the statement of account they present to the V.Os. Sometimes, I keep wondering, and wonder if the millions in those accounts disappeared right after collecting the Visa.

That said, for undergraduates without any form of scholarships, and who can't afford enough money to attend a university, this goes to you. Please try to apply, and get a community college admission before coming here. Community colleges are cheap and you can easily transfer there and spend your first two years of college paying a cheaper tuition before going back to the university for your last 2 years. This would be so beneficial as your first 2 years would expose you to a lot of things which include meeting the right people. If you are not offered any form of scholarship as part of your admission packages; please do not come to the U.S at all expecting manna from heaven - It doesn't happen in most cases. You really have to come here with your finances well planned else you fall out of status. Life as an illegal immigrant is not what I pray anybody I know should experience; it is really tough.

For grad students who don't have the money, please make sure you get some form of funding from your school before coming. If not, make sure there is a promise you will get one before your second year in the program. Also, make sure you come for a degree that makes economic sense to the United States. You will fully understand the benefit of this by the time you graduate. I will always respect those folks on here who have decided to defer their admissions or look for a cheaper school or a community college so they can have a control of their finances in the US. Again, you guys will always earn my respect.

In any case, be well prepared financially for your first year of school in the United States. Do not let the words "hope" or "assume" be in your dictionary at all when coming here as a first timer. However, things tends to become easier the more you stay in the country. Many of us have passed through this, and many times we have got discouraged and wanted to give up. Many times we've had to summon up courage and keep fighting and make sure never to derail or loose focus. The real heroes and heroines are those who despite all odds completed their studies even with good grades.

The United States is a land of opportunity where you are allowed to become what you want. There are several ways to getting a green card, and the process can be faster if you are educated. These days, most men and woman want a man/woman who is well educated and that has a great potential. Your US-born or naturalized bf/gf would take you serious or be ready to marry you if you are well educated. Your company would be ready to file for you if you are well educated and have the skills. You can file for yourself if in a PhD program or have a PhD with some publication. As you can see, all still boils down to being educated.

Life could be tough at the start in the United States but just like the sage would say; there would always be light at the end of the tunnel. Staying focus and determined are the two keys. Of course, putting GOD almighty first is the ultimate. With HIM, everything will fall in place. As a way of giving back to NL, if there is anyone coming to California and needs a place to stay before school resumes, such person should pm me as I may be able to work things out for him/her.

Good luck to everyone.

What happens if the University isn't willing to release the student's SEVIS record to the CC?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP, you earn all respect. Thanks for the wonderful words.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
Graviton2:
What happens if the University isn't willing to release the student's SEVIS record to the CC?

That is why you have to do your home work well before applying to any school. If you know you are only using the university admission to get a visa, choose a university that has a tradition of easily transferring SEVIS, there are several of them here. The US have thousands of universities to choose from. It all requires proper planning Gravy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
slimmy05: OjaP, you earn all respect. Thanks for the wonderful words.

Thanks Slimmy. I pray everything works well for you. Do not give up bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP:

That is why you have to do your home work well before applying to any school. If you know you are only using the university admission to get a visa, choose a university that has a tradition of easily transferring SEVIS, there are several of them here. The US have thousands of universities to choose from. It all requires proper planning Gravy.

I think I might consider applying to a CC, but then would I need to get a new SEVIS number and pay another SEVIS fee?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
Graviton2:

I think I might consider applying to a CC, but then would I need to get a new SEVIS number and pay another SEVIS fee?

Only if your school or SEVIS specify as compulsory you do so.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP:

Only if your school or SEVIS specify as compulsory you do so.

I'm in way over my head on this. It's obviously too late to start applying to a CC. I'll just have to wing it and apply next year. It's a good thing I didn't travel first.

Thanks though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 5:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
Graviton2:

I'm in way over my head on this. It's obviously too late to start applying to a CC. I'll just have to wing it and apply next year. It's a good thing I didn't travel first.

Thanks though.

You didn't plan all of these well. But next year is never too late though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
honeyad: Stevecrun.. I sent you a pm.. Kindly reply.. Tnx
I've replied your mail a long time bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
teddyrain: thank you oh! It was salvino also a nairalander who is at OSUIT that told me he paid his fees through a loan but he used his cosigner (uncle) who is a citizen
yeah they are private loan agencies. I saw one online. But teddy I pity you in advance if you pick those loan, the interest rate is killing and you will regret taking the loan. Its not worth it ok
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
streetMic: I arrived safely. came in wit lots of raw food. dash 9ja immig n custom 2k. reach jfk, met 2 silent NL observers. boarded connecting flyt from jfk, d first 1 develop fault so we wait 4 1hr for change of facility n i mised my second flyt so am still @ chicago airport for d past 14hrs. i thank God still.
God be with you bro... It is well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP:

You didn't plan all of these well. But next year is never too late though.

I actually wanted to attend the school, I had no intention of going to a CC...that was until they insisted I pay everything at once — I thought they would have payment plans or at least agree to defer my admission. That school is just crazy.

All is well.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 5:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
Graviton2:

once you apply to a CC, the CC will give you a sevis number if you get to the united state with a university i20 that you paid sevis on the uni sevis to get your visa immediately you get to the CC, they will ask you to call the university to transfer your record once the uni accept, they send the record to the CC and the CC will print a new sevis i20 with the sevis no of the university. So you got only one sevis and its the one you paid the $200 and got visa with. So as long as you are in the US and you transfering to any uni or CC, you maintain the same sevis no

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Zeezahbee,reply my mail before I vex
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2014
zeezahbee: once you apply to a CC, the CC will give you a sevis number if you get to the united state with a university i20 that you paid sevis on the uni sevis to get your visa immediately you get to the CC, they will ask you to call the university to transfer your record once the uni accept, they send the record to the CC and the CC will print a new sevis i20 with the sevis no of the university. So you got only one sevis and its the one you paid the $200 and got visa with. So as long as you are in the US and you transfering to any uni or CC, you maintain the same sevis no

Zee, I don't particularly get this. PMed you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
stevecrun: am fine bro..also preparing to leave Nigeria..Start a new life and adventure.

When you leaving?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
streetMic:

ok. google streetMic tha Virus. u go see my fb. 4rm dere u will get d rest
virus indeed. Abeg no carry that virus enter yankee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
OjaP: Dear All,

In any case, be well prepared financially for your first year of school in the United States. Do not let the words "hope" or "assume" be in your dictionary at all when coming here as a first timer. However, things tends to become easier the more you stay in the country. Many of us have passed through this, and many times we have gotten discouraged and wanted to give up. Many times we've had to summon up courage and keep fighting, and make sure never to derail or loose focus. The real heroes and heroines are those who despite all odds completed their studies even with good grades.

The United States is a land of opportunity where you are allowed to become what you want. There are several ways to getting a green card, and the process can be faster if you are educated. These days, most men and woman want a man/woman who is well educated and that has a great potential. Your US-born or naturalized bf/gf would take you serious or be ready to marry you if you are well educated. Your company would be ready to file for you if you are well educated and have the skills. You can file for yourself if in a PhD program or have a PhD with some publications. As you can see, all still boils down to being educated.

Life could be tough at the start in the United States but just like the sages would say; there would always be light at the end of the tunnel. Staying focused and determined are the two keys. Of course, putting GOD almighty first is the ultimate. With HIM, everything will fall in place. As a way of giving back to NL, if there is anyone coming to California and needs a place to stay before school resumes, such person should pm me as I may be able to work things out for him/her.

Good luck to everyone.
Sir thanks for d provision of diz great info... May Almighty God be with you.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
stevecrun: Zeezahbee,reply my mail before I vex
ok that email wey u dey toast me tongue. I replied sha
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Theflint1(m): 5:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
richard4ssky: please if u no of any let me no or give me a number I can call for info please.
MIKON does the GRE exam in Benin, they at GRA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
Stewee:

When you leaving?
Am leaving by November bro..I can't fit dash any airline 500,000naira..By then self,it will be winter(weather for two,the journey go con make sense..

Make we keep in touch sha..I fit block u for Florida sometime.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
zeezahbee: ok that email wey u dey toast me tongue. I replied sha
must you expose my secrets here?Make I check.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Theflint1(m): 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
Amerinancy: my love what's your own self I thought we discussed this on phone no dey fall my hand oh! I moved in yesterday at school. And that school is beautiful. Just start coming. Just send .e your details lemme transfer that stuff to you. Pls don't keep me waiting I'm at Mac grahams hall.
Hw far Americancy, I dey find babe o! and tuition also, u fit hook ur nigga up with any rich kid, I'm a caring guy and I get sweet voice like Teddy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
Theflint1: Hw far Americancy, I dey find babe o! and tuition also, u fit hook ur nigga up with any rich kid, I'm a caring guy and I get sweet voice like Teddy.
I dey tell you..make your ministry move to the permanent site..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
teddyrain: Hello guys if you can't pay your tuition for first year complete, what will happen?
I heard there are organisations that lend loan to international students. How true is it and how does it work.
Because my tuition/expenses is almost 30k
So I will know if I will defer to spring.
#i fear no ebola grin
Look for a community college and save yourself from heart attack .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hello houz! Pls i need a very Cheap Hotels around Ikeja. Pls I will appreciate all d reasonable response. Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
Theflint1: Hw far Americancy, I dey find babe o! and tuition also, u fit hook ur nigga up with any rich kid, I'm a caring guy and I get sweet voice like Teddy.
hahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
stevecrun: must you expose my secrets here?Make I check.
nairaland is fun oh cheesy Thanks Seun for making this website a reality. Because I can laugh and laugh... grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 5:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
cheesy grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.