Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,757 members, 7,915,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:38 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (459568 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
PedigreeCity: Hello houz! Pls i need a very Cheap Hotels around Ikeja. Pls I will appreciate all d reasonable response. Thanks!
How much did you budgeted for?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
Joenice: How much did you budgeted for?
I need d ranges info
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
PedigreeCity: I need d ranges info
What will you do with that as a nigga? grin So if i tell you 100 Dollars per night will you be able to pay? Just tell me how much you budgeted so that i can help you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 6:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
stevecrun: Am leaving by November bro..I can't fit dash any airline 500,000naira..By then self,it will be winter(weather for two,the journey go con make sense..

Make we keep in touch sha..I fit block u for Florida sometime.

No yawa.
Weather for 2 indeed.
You better strap up.
LOL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
Stewee:

No yawa.
Weather for 2 indeed.
You better strap up.
LOL
replied your mail bro..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 6:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
Joenice: What will you do with that as a nigga? grin So if i tell you 100 Dollars per night will you be able to pay? Just tell me how much you budgeted so that i can help you.
Less dan 5k per night
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by PedigreeCity: 6:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
Pls Houz! Which location is very closer n cheaper in terms of Hotel to US consulate at Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
teddyrain: I will subscribe 4 bbm tonite this phone still dey do me ajiamu

Lmao!
Lord Have Mercy on me.
You have issues teddy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 7:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
PedigreeCity: Pls Houz! Which location is very closer n cheaper in terms of Hotel to US consulate at Lagos
Famous GUEST inn around UBA, Obalende. beware of ebola tho. 5k
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
PedigreeCity: Pls Houz! Which location is very closer n cheaper in terms of Hotel to US consulate at Lagos
I think its Obalende..there are cheap hotels there.
But,its a red light district at night.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 7:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
zeezahbee: virus indeed. Abeg no carry that virus enter yankee

dem gats create d antidote ASAP. Ojap. Nize write up. u make sense. ya'l try get a CC...ya heard?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by davidgunther: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2014
teddyrain: hmm

I'm sorry, what's the "hmmm" for?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by vickiestephen: 8:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
HOTWATER: I'm leaving on the 14th. What do you want to find out about the school ? You can ask

Guy abeg when are you leaving , I need to discuss sth with you about the skul abeg .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by vickiestephen: 8:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abeg which kind schools be that?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
slimmy05: OjaP, you earn all respect. Thanks for the wonderful words.
Thanks Ojap, you are a mentor !!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by richard4ssky: 9:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Theflint1: MIKON does the GRE exam in Benin, they at GRA.
have been there they only write tofel and not gre. We tofel be ok for embassy sake
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
teddyrain: Hello guys if you can't pay your tuition for first year complete, what will happen?
I heard there are organisations that lend loan to international students. How true is it and how does it work.
Because my tuition/expenses is almost 30k
So I will know if I will defer to spring.
#i fear no ebola grin

You have several options:

1) If you're an undergraduate, transferring to a community college on immediate arrival to US. Community colleges are very cheap and a year's tuition can equal a semester tuition for a university. You run 2 years in a community college and transfer to a university for the last 2 years.

2) If you can afford one semester or 2, at least, you can come in, run a semester and while in status(in school), obtain a social security number(very important in US), state ID or driver's license and open a bank account. After some semesters, you may apply for extension/deferment for a semester or 2 under certain conditions while you see what you can do all through that entire time to gather up some money to return back to school. I have a friend who applied for extension for 2 semesters (a year).

One word of advice is networking. Networking in the US here is very important. Network with your fellow Nigerians/Africans and see how they are surviving and you follow them in surviving. There's more to say than can be said here.

All the same, it may be tough but you will survive here.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 10:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
In more ways than one, coming here as a master's student is better than as an undergraduate.

1) The associated cost of a 4-year B.sc degree as compared to 1 or 2 years for masters. It is way much cheaper and better to complete your UG in Nigeria and come here for master's instead.

2) As an international student seeking work employment (H1B work visa) after graduation, the ease of getting jobs with a master's degree or having a company file for you if you have a master's degree. For those who are just hearing H1B work visa for the first time, the H1B work visa is a work visa valid for 6 years that enables you as an international student to work for a company after graduation from school. You don't file for it though, your hiring company files for it on your behaf. It is one of the routes to getting the green card, as some people may think the marriage route is the only route to green card. However, this route tends to take longer time, be competitive and favourable towards those really good in their field.

3) Additional 20,000 H1B work visas allocated to Master's applicants only, in addition to the 65,000 H1B work visas allocated to all applicants - Associate degree, B.sc, and Master's students. Due to the enormous number of H1B visa applications received each year, up to twice the number available, the USCIS carries out a lottery that selects the final 65,000 of all applications submitted. Now for the master's category, if all master's applications exceed 20,000 in number for that year, all applications in the Master's pool received are tried in a lottery and 20,000 winners are selected. The remaining unselected number in the master's category are then transferred to the 65,000 cateogory for a lottery along with other categories of applicants thus giving master's applicants double chances of selection, compared to one-chance for undergraduates.

4) More funding/scholarship opportunities from the school and Nigerian oil companies available to master's students compared to undergraduates where you have to rely solely on home/personal funds or hustling.

Coming here as a master's student tends to favour you more than B.sc.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 10:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ojap, Imperiouxx and everybody, I am in a very difficult situation and I need advice from everyone. I applied to a school as a graduate student in political science- I plan to lecture ultimately- and I got my visa. My mom was meant to sponsor me but she died in an auto crash last December. I had been speaking with a professor who indicated an interest in us working together on- International Peace-Keeping and Conflict Resolution in sub-Saharan Africa. I could not qualify for funding because I was 1.8 point short of the threshold. However, he said I would be considered for GA in my second semester if I maintain a GP of 3.0, and 'if' there were funds left. But, he was emphatic on my getting a GA in my second year. The school accepts a payment plan, and I am thinking of raising some money from some of my friends- I have less than $2k as I am typing this- to complete the first semester, and see how it pans out.
My mind is running wild... I have been staying with a female friend here in NY who is a citizen since Sunday. A friend who has a green card in Texas using a green-card said I should go to school, try and get my SSN and come to Texas. Another friend said I should just hop on the next plane and come over to Arizona, and work on getting my papers...

I am terrified of not going to school and falling out of status; my greatest ambition is getting a doctorate and lecturing

Should I send an email to the prof first?

Should I contact the appropriate person in school and ask for the least I can pay on a monthly basis for the first semester?

I don't want to stay in NY for too long. I don't wanna make a mistake and ruin the good relationship we have out of sheer desperation.

What do you guys think?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bimbola85(m): 10:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
Problem solved and on the train to NY.

Thanks people.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ridimic1: 11:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
prospective student,,,u can also try dis site...quora dot com...questions ranging from admision to gre n so many things are answered there

thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by temi4fash(m): 11:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mehn obodo america no be beans mehn.... Make I still dai find schools and prepare wella.. To avoid stories dat touch...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 11:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
temi4fash: Mehn obodo america no be beans mehn.... Make I still dai find schools and prepare wella.. To avoid stories dat touch...

100+ likes.

Preparation is key. This is the reason I changed my mind about travelling this year. Don't travel except you are certain everything is in place.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 11:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
ridimic1: prospective student,,,u can also try dis site...quora dot com...questions ranging from admision to gre n so many things are answered there

thanks.

You are a very proactive individual. Keep up the good work, bro.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 11:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Feexo: Ojap, Imperiouxx and everybody, I am in a very difficult situation and I need advice from everyone. I applied to a school as a graduate student in political science- I plan to lecture ultimately- and I got my visa. My mom was meant to sponsor me but she died in an auto crash last December. I had been speaking with a professor who indicated an interest in us working together on- International Peace-Keeping and Conflict Resolution in sub-Saharan Africa. I could not qualify for funding because I was 1.8 point short of the threshold. However, he said I would be considered for GA in my second semester if I maintain a GP of 3.0, and 'if' there were funds left. But, he was emphatic on my getting a GA in my second year. The school accepts a payment plan, and I am thinking of raising some money from some of my friends- I have less than $2k as I am typing this- to complete the first semester, and see how it pans out.
My mind is running wild... I have been staying with a female friend here in NY who is a citizen since Sunday. A friend who has a green card in Texas using a green-card said I should go to school, try and get my SSN and come to Texas. Another friend said I should just hop on the next plane and come over to Arizona, and work on getting my papers...

I am terrified of not going to school and falling out of status; my greatest ambition is getting a doctorate and lecturing

Should I contact the appropriate person in school and ask for the least I can pay on a monthly basis for the first semester?

I don't want to stay in NY for too long. I don't wanna make a mistake and ruin the good relationship we have out of sheer desperation.

What do you guys think?

Boss b4 anyfin, go 2 d skol n see wah u can do wit wat u aff. we all aff d G-Card plan. bigfrancis aff said it all. 80 percent of pips wu come here dont get 2 find it dat easy but we must strife n succeed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by siegfried99(m): 12:00am On Aug 13, 2014
Greetings to the house, can anyone be kind enough to furnish me with information /requirements for student visa processing to any Canadian college or university.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 12:00am On Aug 13, 2014
Feexo: Ojap, Imperiouxx and everybody, I am in a very difficult situation and I need advice from everyone. I applied to a school as a graduate student in political science- I plan to lecture ultimately- and I got my visa. My mom was meant to sponsor me but she died in an auto crash last December. I had been speaking with a professor who indicated an interest in us working together on- International Peace-Keeping and Conflict Resolution in sub-Saharan Africa. I could not qualify for funding because I was 1.8 point short of the threshold. However, he said I would be considered for GA in my second semester if I maintain a GP of 3.0, and 'if' there were funds left. But, he was emphatic on my getting a GA in my second year. The school accepts a payment plan, and I am thinking of raising some money from some of my friends- I have less than $2k as I am typing this- to complete the first semester, and see how it pans out.

What do you guys think?

Feexo, it is well.

You should talk to your school first, but don't make the "mistake" I made. Be subtle in your approach. You will overcome.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 12:00am On Aug 13, 2014
What do you guys think?

- If you have a means of getting friends to help with your first year tuition, please go for it. (since your prof. promised funding for your second year).

- If all didn't work for you and couldn't raise any funds, try as much as possible to get your state I.D any way/any how. As per SSN, you can only get that if you get an on-campus job. This is even why you need to make sure you enroll in school so you can apply for any on-campus jobs and I.D

- If I were you, I will be looking at other schools especially in those cities where you have friends or relatives. See if those schools can give funding or scholarship and transfer there. Things are usually easier if you have someone already in the US to put you through. Please be so aggressive about this.

- Yes, you can contact your school's accounts dept. and arrange for a payment plan.

Dropping out of school shouldn't be your next option since you have a sure funding for the second year. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by godG: 12:02am On Aug 13, 2014
ridimic1: prospective student,,,u can also try dis site...quora dot com...questions ranging from admision to gre n so many things are answered there

thanks.

Friends, don't just stop there, endeavor to explore all Quora has to offer. It is a very wonderful site. Think of any question? Think Quora. Used to be an addict on it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 12:04am On Aug 13, 2014
siegfried99: Greetings to the house, can anyone be kind enough to furnish me with information /requirements for student visa processing to any Canadian college or university.

Thanks.

Go here — https://www.nairaland.com/1851578/travelling-canada-part-6

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.