Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,644 members, 7,885,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 01:19 PM

Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook (15734 Views)

Policewoman Committed Suicide After Texting Husband Message Meant For Her Lover / Ariel Castro Commits Suicide In Prison / Teenager Who Killed His Parents Got Inspiration From Video Games & Films (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by duwdu: 6:45am On Oct 28, 2013
Dear fellow Nairalanders...

Just read the following!!!

Indian teenager commits suicide after parents ban her from Facebook

This story was published: OCTOBER 27, 2013

A 17-year-old Indian girl has committed suicide after her parents banned her from accessing her own Facebook page.
Aishwarya Dahiwal, 17, was found hanged in her bedroom in the western Indian city of Parbhani after an argument with her parents over the excessive amount of time she spent on Facebook, as well as her long conversations on her mobile phone, reports Gawker.
She left a suicide note saying she couldn't live without the social networking site and blamed her parents for her actions.
"Is Facebook so bad?" she wrote. "I cannot stay in a home with such restrictions as I can't live without Facebook.
"Like all parents, their intentions were only to ensure that the girl did not go astray," the officer investigating the case, G.H Lemgude, told IBN Live.
"They advised her to concentrate on her technical studies and stay away from long mobile chats and social networking sites."
As more Indians gain access to the internet, many high school students are ditching their phones and communicating exclusively via Facebook, according to Newsweek Pakistan.

And...

A teenager in India committed suicide after her parents banned her from using Facebook. Aishwarya Dahiwal, a 17-year-old second-year college student from Parbhani in the state of Maharashtra, was found dead on Thursday morning.

Dahiwal killed herself on Wednesday night following an argument with her parents about not paying attention to her schoolwork and using social media sites like Facebook.

"Like all parents, their intentions were only to ensure that the girl did not go astray,” said investigating officer G.H. Lemgude, according to NDTV. “They advised her to concentrate on her technical studies and stay away from long mobile chats and social networking sites.”

After the argument with her parents, Dahiwal retreated to her bedroom, where she wrote a suicide note and hanged herself.

"Is Facebook so bad? I cannot stay in a home with such restrictions, as I can't live without Facebook," her suicide note reads.

Her body was found Thursday morning.

Aishwarya’s father, Sunil Dahiwal, told India Real Time that his family was in a state of shock. “We still can’t believe it,” he said. “We are in deep shock. We just wanted her to focus on her studies. We never thought she would ever take such a harsh step.”

As India Real Time reports, there have been a rash of suicides in Maharashtra. Last year, 16,112 people killed themselves there, according to the National Crime Records Bureau. Tamil Nadu was the state with the most suicides last year, with 16,297. West Bengal had 14,957 suicides last year and Karnataka had 12,753.

According to the Voice of Russia, Facebook is the preferred method of communication for teenagers in India, more so than mobile phones. Out of a population of 1.2 billion people, Facebook will be available to 200 million people in India by the end of this year.

Oh, my God!

Sources:

http://www.news.com.au/world/indian-teenager-commits-suicide-after-parents-ban-her-from-facebook/story-fndir2ev-1226747752579

http://www.ibtimes.com/facebook-teen-suicide-teenage-girl-india-kills-herself-after-parents-ban-her-using-facebook-1442486

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 28, 2013
i laugh in swahili, she cannot live without facebook. Nobody in Nigeria can commit suicide bcoz of facebook, i trust my 9ja peeps, MONEY ALWAYS ON OUR MIND

4 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by imperiouxx(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
"Indian teenager commits suicide after parents ban her from Facebook"

Correction: She was killed by acute hypofacebookmia.

Hypofacebookmia: a pathological state caused by lack of/low blood facebook.
Causative agent: preventing an addicted facebooker from facebooking.
Symptoms: nausea, anorexia nervosa, hypersensitivity, apoptosis leading successful suicide attempt.

5 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by bionicdude(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
so indians are following d west in this foolishness.when i saw d headline i thought it was one of dis over pampered american or british kids

3 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by alotofgrace(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
na she sabi

1 Like

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Spanishmario(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by homesteady(m): 2:57pm On Oct 28, 2013
What's so interesting in facebook that someone can kill herself over it?? undecided SMH
Devil will welcome her with open arms!

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by alotofgrace(m): 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2013
Spanishmario: .

bursted

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by justphillips(m): 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
R.i.p
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Fkforyou(m): 3:00pm On Oct 28, 2013
If she go heaven/hell now, how she go explain her situation to God.....?
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Aizebioje(m): 3:00pm On Oct 28, 2013
I only feel sympathy for the parents... Did you guys see the amount of people committing suicide And their population just keeps rising!

1 Like

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2013
swi swa sa tun e,shol
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
Like seriously, SMH, no ounce of pity whatsoever for the dumb girl.....
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Tonniey(m): 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
I wonder what she was does on facebook dat she couldn't leave without. Wonder will neva cease in dis world.
U will agree with me dat this is one of the disadvantage of modernization.
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 28, 2013
Lest in peace...
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by mohammedmagnus: 3:04pm On Oct 28, 2013
ShE die well,but wait o indians dey suffer o
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Afrobasic(m): 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
R.I.P dear, in a way, I understand
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by gingerbread(m): 3:08pm On Oct 28, 2013
This people are just jonzing their life.
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by spade: 3:10pm On Oct 28, 2013
Goodbye, dipshit. smiley
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 28, 2013
mtcheewwww
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Lilchilz(m): 3:10pm On Oct 28, 2013
abeq who have d idea of aw much dem dey sell 1 packet of rothmas??

1 Like

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Afrobasic(m): 3:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
When dealing with teens, don't use force, they(parents) should've tried the slow approach 1st like limiting her time online at first and having a little conversation with her.
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by BabaEleko(m): 3:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
I hope she finds peace in the deepest part of hell for demonizing her caring parents and putting them thru this unwarranted mourning as I also hope Mark Zuckerberg attends her funeral and cause her grave.

1 Like

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
She is as useless alive, only sorry 4 the parents.

God no lemme born useless pikin o

1 Like

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by stan4b(m): 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
I blame d parents. U don't just stop a child from doing wot she enjoys doing,d same way u can't just wake up one morning nd tell a drunkard to stop drinking. If d drunkard drinks 7 bottles in a day,u advice him to reduce it to 3,d next week,u tell him to reduce it to one bottle,den d next month,u ll see him just taking it like once in a month. But,am not talking about anything spirituality or immediate sickness. So,just like d example of d drunkard. If d girl usually stay for more Dan 7hours on fb,d parents should av just told dere daughter to reduce her fb time to like two hours in d first week,den as time goes by,she ll reduce it to 30mins per day. Rip to her.
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by bigx(m): 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2013
rubbish
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by leaches: 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2013
Na wa o some pple sef. Sha may ha soul RIP
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by safarigirl(f): 3:17pm On Oct 28, 2013
Afrobasic: When dealing with teens, don't use force, they(parents) should've tried the slow approach 1st like limiting her time online at first and having a little conversation with her.
slow wetin? Abeg the girl is spoilt. Imagine Naija pikin, na when you stop them from playing football or going for choir practice na im dem go crase, but no be to commit suicide, they'll rather kill themselves than commit suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by thiefnubu(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2013
shey make i comment?.......farts loudly....wishing her "speeding" recovery sha....
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by Fussbot: 3:20pm On Oct 28, 2013
abeg make una 4get bout dat st*pid gal

shey na only me dey see d number of people wey commit suicide for india last year ni?

Na contest for dat side ni?
Re: Teenager Commits Suicide After Parents Banned Her From Facebook by mysticgal(f): 3:20pm On Oct 28, 2013
sucide? why not die undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iran Now Has Enough Uranium For Nuclear Weapon, U.N. Watchdog Reportedly Says / Nana Akufo-Addo Sworn In As President Of Ghana / Horrific Photos Of ISIS Atrocities How They Behead Christian Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.