Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,411 members, 7,901,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 01:30 AM

Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? (37396 Views)

How Is Divorce Obtained Under Islamic Law / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Is Divorce The Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 07, 2013
Chillisauce:

My dear, no be small muscle oh cheesy.

I need a break from this website. Before I start thinking that I'm not normal

I'm telling you.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by bukatyne(f): 10:51am On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: I haven't dear
With this I may not read it. Cos I wouldn't wanna e-slap someone (just kidding)
But for real?
Lol. Na wa o

I did and had to leave half way. Imagine guys bragging that they end their relationship on Vals day; they are cheating on their girls etc.

That thread celebrates man inhumanity to woman

But then again, they are just saying what is going on out there in the real world
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 07, 2013
@lorreta,
Pls don't tell me now I'm making sense cause I didn't agree with u 100%.
I hv my opinions and u hv urs.
To u, urs r ok and mine r ok in my eyes.
Let's leave it like that.
Whether we like it or not, men are also abused physically, emotionally and psychologically like women. That's a strong fact. Both genders r affected.
Chikena.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 07, 2013
chineloSA:

See woman abuser cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The architect of our society is human beings, so it can be changed. Only if the society is willing to change smiley smiley smiley
WHY ON EARTH WOULD YHU WANT TO CHANGE WHAT GOD MADE SO

THE LAST TIME WOMAN WAS LEFT INCHARGE , SHE ENDED UP MAKING MAKING SHE AND HER MAN EAT THT APPLE..

IM NOT IN ANYWAY IN SUPPORT OF WOMAN ABUSE...

i cant even touch a lil dudette...

BUT LEAVING WOMEN INCHARGE??

NAWAOOOO
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by troy20(m): 11:02am On Nov 07, 2013
Chomzy19: No amount of Argument will make a partially blind man see white as just white and nt milk, yes there are material evidence dt d colour white is white n milk is milk, But to d partially blind white and milk are really one n d same colour.

The truth is u cant actually blame d partially blind
you regard me a blind man because i dont concur with you? I'm not putting my arguments cause i want to see white and milk as same colour.your comment is unfair
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by jaybee3(m): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2013
Choi
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chineloSA(f): 11:29am On Nov 07, 2013
deejay_harry1: WHY ON EARTH WOULD YHU WANT TO CHANGE WHAT GOD MADE SO

THE LAST TIME WOMAN WAS LEFT INCHARGE , SHE ENDED UP MAKING MAKING SHE AND HER MAN EAT THT APPLE..

IM NOT IN ANYWAY IN SUPPORT OF WOMAN ABUSE...

i cant even touch a lil dudette...

BUT LEAVING WOMEN INCHARGE??

NAWAOOOO

Nna, dont you know that capital letters means SHOUTING. Stop this shouting, its indicative that you are an abuser and you also aggravating my headache caused by men sad sad sad.

Anyways, I did not say give us the world to rule. I said woman should be given Economic power and freedom. Meaning the world should be enabling for woman to attain financial independence and freedom. Not when you want contract you have to be laid etc.

I dont know what men want!!!!!

You don't want woman to attain financial independence. At the same time
You don't want woman marrying you for money so that we can be comfortable.

What have we done to the male specie, to deny us Economic Freedom ?? Eeeeeeh??

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Chomzy19(f): 11:56am On Nov 07, 2013
troy20:
you regard me a blind man because i dont concur with you? I'm not putting my arguments cause i want to see white and milk as same colour.your comment is unfair
sorry if it sounds unfair buh d way u strted saying frm d beginning n kept on saying dt d Op opend d thread simply to bash men left me wondering cos 90% of d pple esp women that were commenting on dis thread b4 ur posts were actually blaming d woman for choosing to suffer n smile n nw she is dead, most pple didnt even remember d man until u took it upon urself to absolve him frm his faults

I get ur points but everybody who was abused by his mother or even father(tho u left dt part out) does nt turn out an abuser, countless of them turns out to b loving husbands and fathers. A human being still chooses his/her path.

I dunno d history btw u n d Op buh u shldnt conclude n keep on saying she opend d thread to bash men, that isnt fair to her
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 12:07pm On Nov 07, 2013
yellowpawpaw: We can stay on d net going back and forth about abuse meanwhile d real koko is happening out there. Anybody wanna stop or help abusive pple, pls go to the field.
Preach it there. Join ngo. U r in church, join evangelism cos it will give access to pple direct and preach it outta there.

lmaoo... ypp your post is funny.. reminds me of this image...

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1397407_Nairalanders_jpg5831ecda0766fe0df276f4d4030da65e

PS No gender has a monopoly of violence; break the cycle
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 12:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
@chineloSA.. women are free to be economically empowered..
Nowadays females have access to education and employment opportunities
I have female colleagues and coworkers who are running tinz

The best student in Bells is a female who even had to drop out of Unilorin cos she got pregnant at 18

Moreover with more people like all you here who will not take abuse, this syndrome will die out

chineloSA:
Anyways, I did not say give us the world to rule. I said woman should be given Economic power and freedom. Meaning the world should be enabling for woman to attain financial independence and freedom. Not when you want contract you have to be laid etc.

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
You see I didn't come here to trade blames. I didn't open this thread to say men don't get abused.
I didn't come here to say women are saints and. Therefore have done no wrong in my sight.
I only came here to find out why we nigerian women (most anyway)at this stage and age still put up with abuse when it happens to us. Don't try to make it look like I'm blaming the men here.when infact my anger is directed at the women for letting such things be done to them.
For all of you trying to make it look like I'm doing the man bashing thing with this thread, you're wrong. If we r going to derail it into men who suffer abuse too. We might just as well create a thread for that. Simple.

if we r going to talk about all the wrong things that happen in a marriage, a hundred threads won't do for them.
You can do us a favour and open the thread to chastise women who abuse their men.we'll come there and condemn it too.
Let's not get this one twisted..
yellowpawpaw: @lorreta,
Pls don't tell me now I'm making sense cause I didn't agree with u 100%.
I hv my opinions and u hv urs.
To u, urs r ok and mine r ok in my eyes.
Let's leave it like that.
Whether we like it or not, men are also abused physically, emotionally and psychologically like women. That's a strong fact. Both genders r affected.
Chikena.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by oyinbogirl(f): 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2013
Some marriage are not ment to be stayed in. Physical abuse (& cheating as well ), thats too much! Poor woman , u have to wonder what kind of animals roam the earth these days cry kids now got no dad nor mum, its too sad.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2013
Chomzy19:

[b]I dunno d history btw u n d Op [/b]buh u shldnt conclude n keep on saying she opend d thread to bash men, that isnt fair to her
we have no history whatsoever. He's just a typical nairalander making assumptions out of his own personal bias.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
chineloSA:

Nna, dont you know that capital letters means SHOUTING. Stop this shouting, its indicative that you are an abuser and you also aggravating my headache caused by men sad sad sad.

check almost ALL OF MY POST... IM A CAPSLOCK GUY..

i wouldnt SHOUT for a mere online COMMENT...is simply ridiculous...

NO MATTER THE AMOUNT OF ECONOMIC POWER GIVEN TO WOMEN, ??IT DOSNT CHANGE THE FACT THT THEY CANT STILL BE ABUSED. ..

CHECK THE STORY OF CHRIS BROWN AND RIHANNA ...

AND STOP TRYIN TO PAINT ME AS A WOMAN ABUSER, i simply dont do tht shii...

like i said before...

#YOU CANT CHANGE THE BALANCE OF NATURE... WINNERS TAKE EARTH...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by fairlyisabel(f): 2:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
Lorretta i support you fully on this. Am completely speechless on this matter. Should i say that male specie is an slowpoke specie, NO i guess because we still have few good, lovely and tolerable men around otherwise.......I pray her soul rests in peace.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by MrAboki: 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: Is marriage a do or die affair? Why can't you just leave if your life is at stake? WTF
Ok now she's dead. Leaving behind those little kids she probably felt she was staying in the marriage for their sake. embarassed embarassed
I'm just too angry to type RIP. She can go to hell for all I care.

I know y'all are wondering what I'm ranting about. Phew. Our stupid neighbor down the street just let herself be killed by her husband this morning. I wonder what kind of Mrs I'd want to be if my life is at stake.
Until this morning I didn't even know she was his punching bag.and she was covering it so people will think they are happily married. Now she's going to be buried like a chicken all because she felt divorce is such a horrible thing. I bet death is better in her opinion.how desperate would a woman be to endure that kind of beating? He hit her so bad she was vomiting blood and was rushed to the hospital.she died enroute and trust the man he's nowhere to be found right now.

I'm sure before 6months he'll be happily married again to one his numerous mistresses(that was the cause of their marital problems.so I learned)

I'm just so sad and angry. So angry. I wanna hit something. angry

The problem is culture and Tradition...

Thats all!

Plus religion..
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Lilimax(f): 3:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Seperation will be more like it.

I always advise ladies that are married; when your life is at stake in that
marriage, get seperated as quickly as you can because you may not live to tell the story.
Then, think on the next step to take...

Marriage should not be a do or die affair... undecided
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by daylae(m): 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2013
sad one there.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
This thread is for atheists and pagans. What is divorce?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Orikinla(m): 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2013
Because, to them, marriage is a job and it is better to do your best to success in the job you have than leave it to hustle for jobs where there are not enough jobs for the millions of jobless Nigerians.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Idrismusty97(m): 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2013
Aggrippa:
you women made the men to be WILD BEASTS. you are the ones who also gave birth to them and also encourage them in their SAVAGE BEHAVIOURS, you are the ones only who also MALTREAT your HOUSEHELPS using all manner torture instruments to TORTURE in the presence of your own children. you are the ones who PROPAGATE VIOLENCE! it is a VICIOUS CIRCLE. unfortunately it is these BEASTS that are always with wealth or DOUGH the reason why most of you end up in the WILD BEASTS ARMS!
You gave an intelligent point.But still it doesn't mean the man should maltreat his wife.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by danbabe: 4:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
If the laws in Nigeria are "re -drafted" to ensure that a woman who has been married for a minimum of 5 years, gets at least half of her husband's assets, in the event of a divorce, trust me more of half of the existing marriages we know will come to an end.

Most Nigerian women are left high and dry with kids to cater for when they get divorced. This is because the law does not protect them the way women in England and America (for example) are protected. This is one of the main reasons you see our women tolerating all sorts of intolerable behaviour from their husbands.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Dannylux: 4:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
finally hits fp.. interesting smiley
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by mikeuz(m): 4:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: Truly truly.

All yur brain could think of is divorce abi?instead of you to think of how to tackle the root causes of these dispicable behaviour of some men. We all must say No to such attitude,make the aWareness far wide until every man in Nigeria know its a crime and wrong. Many women don't even know their rights. U are a woman,enlighten them rather than thinking of divorce,what will divorce stop? You will only see yourself jumping from one marriage to another all in the name of divorce just because you think you know what to do,creating single parents everywhere. this is african not the western world and marriage is a sacred union to us. Before I forget channel all those negative energy to positivity.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Abbey2sam(m): 4:09pm On Nov 07, 2013
henrychubayo: D man is so lucky dat d community didn't get him. I like Nigerians for these. If they caught him, his own death will be painful.

If they "caught him" ? Haba

What happen to "if they catch him or

If he was caught
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by nerodenero: 4:13pm On Nov 07, 2013
Dannylux: It's high time Nigerians started seeing Divorce as a good alternative to a failed marriage!! Not everything can be worked out! Being too conservative will ruin us all
Unfortunately, we always attach religion to everything. With that at the back of our minds, divorce is a no-no.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Idrismusty97(m): 4:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
You all should remember that Catholic don't get divorce.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Danhumprey: 4:18pm On Nov 07, 2013
Some women don't stay back in an abusive marriage because of the fact that they are financially dependent on their abusive husbands. No! Some stay back of the love they have for their kids. They don't want a situation where they would give birth to kids and leave them with an abusive father who may get re-married,and together with the new wife,be abusing the kids.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 07, 2013
So somehow what u understood from my thread is that I don't preach women's rights?

And do you seriously suggest that a woman who already has the misfortune of being married to an abuser should stay put because this is Africa?.
Yea well if most African think like this,no wonder we are so far behind the rest of the world.and shame on you for trying to keep us behind the more.
Yea well if marriage is so sacred to us,we would stop abusing our partners male and female. All I see is hypocrisy and putting up appearances. Nothing like sacredness in our marriages.

U dare to use the word sacred in a society where men feel it's their god-given right to cheat
Where women complain about it and still do it behind doors.
Oh please spare me that santimony
I'm yet to see the sacredness
mikeuz:

All yur brain could think of is divorce abi?instead of you to think of how to tackle the root causes of these dispicable behaviour of some men. We all must say No to such attitude,make the aWareness far wide until every man in Nigeria know its a crime and wrong. Many women don't even know their rights. U are a woman,enlighten them rather than thinking of divorce,what will divorce stop? You will only see yourself jumping from one marriage to another all in the name of divorce just because you think you know what to do,creating single parents everywhere. this is african not the western world and marriage is a sacred union to us. Before I forget channel all those negative energy to positivity.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lovella(f): 4:21pm On Nov 07, 2013
In my opinion, DIVORCE is an option. I'd rather be divorced than die young. A lot of womaen hang on to abusive partners because of " fear of the unknown". Women! Empower URSELVES

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 4:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
@ op are you married? If not what makes you think you can give matrimonial/marital advices ?
Are you atheist?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

'No Difference Between Single Mothers And Prostitutes' - Lecturer / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story / 'If You Breastfeed Your Son, You're Training Him To Be A Rapist' - Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.