Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,398 members, 7,901,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 11:08 PM

Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? (37395 Views)

How Is Divorce Obtained Under Islamic Law / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Is Divorce The Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 4:25pm On Nov 07, 2013
lovella: In my opinion, DIVORCE is an option. I'd rather be divorced than die young. A lot of womaen hang on to abusive partners because of " fear of the unknown". Women! Empower URSELVES
so that's your definition of empowerment?
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Meekmind(m): 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mogenerous: When will men start to realize that assaulting their partner is totally bad,if they are always that vexed,what is the boxing ring meant for?... And when will wives start to realize that when their husbands start assaulting them,work out of such marriage and save your lives
daylae: sad one there.
Mujah1deen: This thread is for atheists and pagans. What is divorce?
are u asking 4 d definition of divorce?
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 4:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
Royal Roy: A campaign for divorce should be brought to the fore.
most churches that frown at divorce might have to include the clause "as long as your life is not at stake ".

Stories like this are so disheartening and makes one believe some women enjoy been treated like animals in their matrimonial home.
the op never said the woman belonged to any religion
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by InvertedHammer: 4:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
//

I do not condone violence of any kind.

But I don't understand why women are always victims in family dispute.

Some say "Do not hit a woman!". Well, I say " Do not hit anyone!".

Men are abusive. Women are abusive.

Men kill their wives with punches. Women pour acid on their husbands or ignite them like bush fire.

No one deserves to die in his/her marriage.

Violence should be eschewed. But I take exception to making it women's issues only

//

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 4:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
Aggrippa:
you women made the men to be WILD BEASTS. you are the ones who also gave birth to them and also encourage them in their SAVAGE BEHAVIOURS, you are the ones only who also MALTREAT your HOUSEHELPS using all manner torture instruments to TORTURE in the presence of your own children. you are the ones who PROPAGATE VIOLENCE! it is a VICIOUS CIRCLE. unfortunately it is these BEASTS that are always with wealth or DOUGH the reason why most of you end up in the WILD BEASTS ARMS!
In as much as most women are annoying,only a weak man wld jump and point fingers at a woman,blaming her for his violence.If a man is naturally violent,even the meekest of wives can't avoid his violence.So,my guy,u're are entitled to ur opinion.But as far as i'm concerned,its trash.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by ehibia(m): 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
What a sad sad situation! I think it is just not as easy as we think, even the society has made it difficult for the woman to see divorce as an option, especially if she is Christian (And these days every church goer happens to be a born again christian), that will not be a good testimony to give in church, What will the G.O think of her, what will the Pastor think? even if she tries counselling, the Man of God will preach IT IS FOR BETTER FOR WORSE....Maybe the parents as well will say God forbid (I mean the wife's parents now), so, for this to work; the woman herself should wake up and fight for herself, the woman should not hide under excuses like this to remain slaves to some bunch of so called men (Animals in human skin). very terrible indeed! Hmm.. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by hermesprogidy(m): 4:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
as long as nigerian women continue to see marriage as the panacea of all their problems, stories like this will always abound. I just feel sorry for the poor children caught in the middle..
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by biomedixexcel(m): 4:49pm On Nov 07, 2013
There should be a law protecting the women in marriage. First thing I will do when I become the president of FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by ebosed: 4:55pm On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: Is marriage a do or die affair? Why can't you just leave if your life is at stake? WTF
Ok now she's dead. Leaving behind those little kids she probably felt she was staying in the marriage for their sake. embarassed embarassed
I'm just too angry to type RIP. She can go to hell for all I care.

I know y'all are wondering what I'm ranting about. Phew. Our stupid neighbor down the street just let herself be killed by her husband this morning. I wonder what kind of Mrs I'd want to be if my life is at stake.
Until this morning I didn't even know she was his punching bag.and she was covering it so people will think they are happily married. Now she's going to be buried like a chicken all because she felt divorce is such a horrible thing. I bet death is better in her opinion.how desperate would a woman be to endure that kind of beating? He hit her so bad she was vomiting blood and was rushed to the hospital.she died enroute and trust the man he's nowhere to be found right now.

I'm sure before 6months he'll be happily married again to one his numerous mistresses(that was the cause of their marital problems.so I learned)

I'm just so sad and angry. So angry. I wanna hit something. angry

HIT YOURSELF. INSTEAD OF SOLVING A PROBLEM YOU ARE ADDING TO IT. SEE A MARRIAGE THERAPIST OR YOU WOULD HURT YOURSELF.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Idrismusty97(m): 4:57pm On Nov 07, 2013
hermes_progidy: as long as nigerian women continue to see marriage as the panacea of all their problems, stories like this will always abound. I just feel sorry for the poor children caught in the middle..
So true.No one is more fascinated about marriage than Nigerian women.They see marriage as the end to their problems not knowing its just the beginning.Always reading love novels,watching happily ever movies.etc.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by ireneidiva(f): 4:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: I just feel bad cos the man will surely go unpunished now. And who will take care of her little kids now? The last one is 4months old.

This kind of thing has happened in this same area early last year. The man is walk free.and the babies the woman left behind were just left helpless until her siblings came and took them.now same thing is happening again. Cos they know there's no serious law in place to punish abusive spouses. It's so infuriating.

op this your area sha
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by hermesprogidy(m): 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
Stånd: I think its high time JOBLESS women are stopped from getting married. Financial independence and a good dose of self worth and dignity is needed in situations where the MAN keeps ABUSING his wife knowing fully well that she has no life outside the one he provides for her.( not totally their fault, despite the ugly economic realities, we are still stuck in the culture of our men must be the bread winners and sole provider, or how do you explain why some cultures do not believe in girl child education ?)

#Again...Naija 'I must marry' mentality, follow-followism, family and peer pressure and the society at large contributes to the problem of single but matured ladies in this country.

I use Rita Dominic as my reference plus the insults and abuses she gets on this site alone....Why won't a woman like that rush into marriage with a beast!
I agree with the rest of your points.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chelsea1116(m): 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
Because they know the teaching of Christ..Jesus neva supportd divorce..so I think majority of 9ja women were tot to respect God..so they alwz work hard to make their marriage work,I lov 9ja women 4 dat.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by otokx(m): 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
Stånd: I think its high time JOBLESS women are stopped from getting married. Financial independence and a good dose of self worth and dignity is needed in situations where the MAN keeps ABUSING his wife knowing fully well that she has no life outside the one he provides for her.

#Again...Naija 'I must marry' mentality, follow-followism, family and peer pressure and the society at large contributes to the problem of single but matured ladies in this country.

I use Rita Dominic as my reference plus the insults and abuses she gets on this site alone....Why won't a woman like that rush into marriage with a beast!

on point - there has to be a cultural shift

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 07, 2013
..."For better for worse"
..."Till DEATH do us apart"
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by otokx(m): 5:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
chelsea1116: Because they know the teaching of Christ..Jesus neva supportd divorce..so I think majority of 9ja women were tot to respect God..so they alwz work hard to make their marriage work,I lov 9ja women 4 dat.

Who said Jesus never supported Divorce? If any man or woman wants to divorce, no problem but the bible says after you divorce you cannot remarry or engage in sex - my interpretation. Humans being what they are want to eat their cake and have it.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by ogbronx(m): 5:07pm On Nov 07, 2013
Aggrippa:
you women made the men to be WILD BEASTS. you are the ones who also gave birth to them and also encourage them in their SAVAGE BEHAVIOURS, you are the ones only who also MALTREAT your HOUSEHELPS using all manner torture instruments to TORTURE in the presence of your own children. you are the ones who PROPAGATE VIOLENCE! it is a VICIOUS CIRCLE. unfortunately it is these BEASTS that are always with wealth or DOUGH the reason why most of you end up in the WILD BEASTS ARMS!
Bitter truth
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by otokx(m): 5:07pm On Nov 07, 2013
Stånd:

The women who have decided to stay single and live life one day at a time are being insulted and belittled all over the place...People keep reminding them that they are long over due for marriage...No one really cares if these ladies end up in an abusive marriage.

same thing happens to the men though its more worse for women, their own fellow women will still be talking at their backs.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
I don't even know what to say after reading through this thread especially after reading the comments from some men and some women with inferiority complexes who are claiming that it is the woman's fault she got killed.

@those who made great points regarding this case; specifically loretta_u, ileobatojo, chillisauce and chinelo. You people really tried. I am not sure I would have been able to respond to those comments about how the dead woman is at fault without suffering a cardiac arrest from annoyance.
Well done to all of you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by hermesprogidy(m): 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
Stånd:

The women who have decided to stay single and live life one day at a time are being insulted and belittled all over the place...People keep reminding them that they are long over due for marriage...No one really cares if these ladies end up in an abusive marriage.
isn't that the essence of education? If people can't have minds of their own, then why get a formal education? Yes people will taunt you, but it's always better to stick to what you believe in rather than having 'hive mentality' cos @ the end of the day u suffer alone.. I've always maintained that marriage is over hyped and stories like these just buttresses my opinion.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by thehunted(m): 5:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
you women need to re-evaluate the characteristics of your dream men. It shouldnt just be tall,dark,fair,big doiick and hardworking(which means rich to your brains).
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by bukatyne(f): 5:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
Danhumprey: Some women don't stay back in an abusive marriage because of the fact that they are financially dependent on their abusive husbands. No! Some stay back of the love they have for their kids. They don't want a situation where they would give birth to kids and leave them with an abusive father who may get re-married,and together with the new wife,be abusing the kids.

And that demonic love is what makes the child become abusers in future
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Idrismusty97(m): 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2013
Stånd:

I understand they must have felt intense pressure from such people.But what i have notice is that,women who decide to pursue a career and don't think a man is the God of her life aways attract loyal men and not boxers.The men that choose to come into such women life knows that she is not picked from dust so she can't be drag down to dust.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Youngzedd(m): 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2013
Aggrippa:

Jah bless you bro.

The world will be a perfect place if only they women clean their closet.

This world depends on women to survive.

@Women stop misbehaving in front of your kids if actually you want the rate of beating to decrease in 22nd Century.

God bless our women.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chineloSA(f): 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2013
pickabeau1: @chineloSA.. women are free to be economically empowered..
Nowadays females have access to education and employment opportunities
I have female colleagues and coworkers who are running tinz

The best student in Bells is a female who even had to drop out of Unilorin cos she got pregnant at 18

Moreover with more people like all you here who will not take abuse, this syndrome will die out

Ok, perhaps outside of Nigeria. Gender equality is very bad in Nigeria. Talkless in Government. If you see those few people, especially when they are being celebrated, like the ones you quoted, that should tell you alot. smiley smiley smiley

Woman in Nigeria would not be falling victims of abuse and they would not be choosing husbands based on money. So lets not deceive ourselves.
Seeing those 1,2,3 people infront of your eyes is not representative of woman of Nigeria. Seeing woman driving big cars funded by husbands does not mean anything. cheesy cheesy

I refer you to a few sites. Go to government websites and UN sites. So woman in Nigeria are not emporwered. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Got this Map from Wiki rubbish, thats the least I could do for you for now.
Green - ( most gender equality) most empowered, red- ( least gender equality ) least empowered.

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by blink6(m): 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
marriage is a "for better for worse" affair.
thought there's something like courtship? get to know him/her better b4 getting married.
if there was nothing like; God, Twill av been a good thing to leave a relationship if it not working.... unfortunately, theres God... and he warned against it. the end, justifies the means... God will atlast judge all... dont loose ur souls for this course.

#just saying
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chineloSA(f): 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
deejay_harry1: check almost ALL OF MY POST... IM A CAPSLOCK GUY..

i wouldnt SHOUT for a mere online COMMENT...is simply ridiculous...

NO MATTER THE AMOUNT OF ECONOMIC POWER GIVEN TO WOMEN, ??IT DOSNT CHANGE THE FACT THT THEY CANT STILL BE ABUSED. ..

CHECK THE STORY OF CHRIS BROWN AND RIHANNA ...

AND STOP TRYIN TO PAINT ME AS A WOMAN ABUSER, i simply dont do tht shii...

like i said before...

#YOU CANT CHANGE THE BALANCE OF NATURE... WINNERS TAKE EARTH...

Stop this noise nah. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Good example, Rihanna was abused and had a choice to eventually walk away. Alot of woman do not have a choice because of finances, they stay because they do not have alternative. They cant buy a house, car, and cant afford to feed those kids

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

'No Difference Between Single Mothers And Prostitutes' - Lecturer / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story / 'If You Breastfeed Your Son, You're Training Him To Be A Rapist' - Lady Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.