Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,927 members, 7,872,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:04 AM

Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo (1668 Views)

Kemi Omololu-olunloyo Cuts Ties With Biafra Group, IPOB / Kemi Omololu-Olunloyo: I Earn $50 Per Tweet / Kemi Omololu-olunloyo Holds Father Hostage, Releases Him After 30 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by nduchucks: 2:11am On Dec 02, 2013
This eyeopening interview by Omololu Olunloyo is a must read for all, here are some excerps:

You first became commissioner at 27, what was the experience like?

Now there was a commotion in the Action Group which affected my mind and I was a follower of two politicians in Ibadan who I knew very much. One of them was the first Ibadan lawyer, Mojeed Agbaje. The other man who interested me very much was Lekan Salami of Ogbomoso and Ibadan fame. I took part in the breaking of the door of the Premier’s office, I saw something that was undemocratic.

Akintola was the supreme leader, Awolowo left of his own volition without advice to contest the federal election. In the federal election he contested, he had no alliances. Stubborn, aggressive, very hardworking, visionary leader that Awolowo was, he never understood real politics at anytime. In real politics, you have to look at the figures, you have to have allies, there are no permanent friends and no permanent enemies. You must have some allies. Nigeria is too fragmented for you not to have allies. If you’re counting the fingers of someone with nine fingers, you don’t count in the person’s presence and say you ‘so you have nine fingers.’ We had a brilliant man called Akintola who understood real politics. Awolowo believed that book knowledge was so important but he knew better.

A situation arose; Awolowo wanted to ally with the east and Akintola wanted to align with the north. So there was a crisis: Akintola wanted something, Awolowo wanted something. Where we came in is what I will explain to you now. Awolowo had earlier fought at the Jos conference and Akintola said he demanded that the governor call a meeting of the house and call for a vote of no confidence or of confidence. Or alternatively to dissolve the house and call for fresh elections, but they refused. They denied him an ordinary motion for confidence in the house which is undemocratic. You either test a man’s popularity in the house or you dissolve the house and call for fresh elections. They knew they would spend money and Akintola was eloquent. As a result, there was tension and we protested. That was where they picked me.

Read The Rest Here

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by Nobody: 2:22am On Dec 02, 2013
Stubborn, aggressive, very hardworking, visionary leader that Awolowo was, he never understood real politics at anytime

^^^I definitely have a lot in common with him. I hope and pray, I leave a legacy as great as yours when it's all said and done. You were/are(because you never died - you just took a break from this planet) a star!

R.I.P, Sir! cool

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by nduchucks: 2:27am On Dec 02, 2013
he he, atete mole
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by Akanbiedu(m): 8:24am On Dec 02, 2013
Stubborn, aggressive, very hardworking, visionary leader that Awolowo was, he never understood real politics at anytime.

This is correct IMO. His politics and choice of allies were the only downside. ''

But I really appreciate his doggedness, he was a man of ideology and stood by those values till the end.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by veraponpo(m): 8:58am On Dec 02, 2013
He was correct. chief Awolowo was blinded by his intention of making Nigeria a better place. He did not play the real politics as he ought to. i believe Tinubu is a better politician, even OBJ than Awo. They are not as good as Awo in Leadership but in real politics they are better.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by veraponpo(m): 9:07am On Dec 02, 2013
What do you think about Oyo State politics?

The government, they are not experienced macho politicians but I think they have good intentions and they have been playing out the intentions.

But the whole western region, they have to study Awolowo better. Awolowo had his strengths, he had his weaknesses. Only a mad man would call him perfect but he was the best of his time
. If any politician sets out a mission, that mission will go on for years. There are four cardinal principles, but the marks you will give him for education is not the one you will give him for rural development or for agriculture and so on. As a matter of fact, Awolowo placed education as number one and health as number two. In contrast with (Kwame) Nkrumah in Ghana, who placed health as number one and education as number two. As for Oyo State, Ajimobi has transformed the place. We know that anybody who tries to improve the environment will have to demolish the ramshackle out of the environment and so will be regarded more or less as an enemy of the people, demolishing this, demolishing that. But there are many crazy things that have to be demolished and he‘s done that and he shouldn’t just get ten upon ten in one area and get zero upon ten in the remaining. He should concentrate on education, scholarships, human developments and also infrastructure.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 02, 2013
Having read the interview by Baba Olunloyo,now I know where people like Gani though successful professionally but failed politically with all due respect while Tinubu seems to be succeeding politically!

A perfect understanding of the different sociopolitical ideosyncracies of each ethnic group in this country will make a politician succeed at his game. Alliances have to be forged,bridges have to be built! Alliances even with your hitherto political 'enemies'.

Book Knowledge or Ideological leanings don't win elections in this part of the world,alliances do! I hope those who are playing the politics of aloofness and sainthood will know that they aint going no where Nationally except they change!
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by 99100(m): 11:04am On Dec 02, 2013
Just passing bye..
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by veraponpo(m): 11:22am On Dec 02, 2013
sagombugo: Having read the interview by Baba Olunloyo,now I know where people like Gani though successful professionally but failed politically with all due respect while Tinubu seems to be succeeding politically!

A perfect understanding of the different sociopolitical ideosyncracies of each ethnic group in this country will make a politician succeed at his game. Alliances have to be forged,bridges have to be built! Alliances even with your hitherto political 'enemies'.

Book Knowledge or Ideological leanings don't win elections in this part of the world,alliances do! I hope those who are playing the politics of aloofness and sainthood will know that they aint going no where Nationally except they change!

Because in real politics there is:
Rascal attitude, brigandage, kidnapping, terrorism, deception, lie, etc

A truthful person like Awo can never be a good politician but can be a good leader. leadership is beyond politics.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by JulianBond007: 11:26am On Dec 02, 2013
Is Tinubu trying to follow the path of Awolowo or is he correcting the mistakes Awolowo made? To me,I think both of them share the same ideology. Tinubu might end up making worse mistakes.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 11:49am On Dec 02, 2013
"Awo never understood real politics at any time".

That is nonsense - Awo understood Nigeria & its politics perfectly, he was vindicated by June 12. Awo understood that the Hausa/Fulani will never willingly give power to Yorubas - you can see what happened to Abiola.

Cast your mind back to 1999, the Hausa/Fulani imposed Obasanjo, but even at that, they barely allowed him to do his job. They disturbed him with Shari'a law and Atiku almost frustrated him - trying to force him to do only one term.

Today, Tinubu thinks he's smart. The Hausa/Fulani will play along with him, giving him illusions of grandeur. He'll think he's "Nigeria's kingmaker". The day the Hausa/Fulani regain power - they WILL FINISH him. Mark my words.

A word is enough for the wise - Igbos, Middle Belt and the Niger Delta used to have a Master/Servant relationship with the Hausa/Fulani, they are wiser today.

Politics for Awo wasn't merely about controlling the center, it was about controlling the destiny of the Yoruba people and not serving as somebody's slave.

Ask yourselves this important question - who have the Hausa/Fulani ever had a "partnership of equals with"? Igbos? Niger Deltans? Middle Belters? Northern Christians? Who exactly?

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by nduchucks: 12:35pm On Dec 02, 2013
Olunloyo's interview was excellent. People like this should write many books and articles lest their knowledge of history will die with them.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe: "Awo never understood real politics at any time".

That is nonsense - Awo understood Nigeria & its politics perfectly, he was vindicated by June 12. Awo understood that the Hausa/Fulani will never willingly give power to Yorubas - you can see what happened to Abiola.

Cast your mind back to 1999, the Hausa/Fulani imposed Obasanjo, but even at that, they barely allowed him to do his job. They disturbed him with Shari'a law and Atiku almost frustrated him - trying to force him to do only one term.

Today, Tinubu thinks he's smart. The Hausa/Fulani will play along with him, giving him illusions of grandeur. He'll think he's "Nigeria's kingmaker". The day the Hausa/Fulani regain power - they WILL FINISH him. Mark my words.

A word is enough for the wise - Igbos, Middle Belt and the Niger Delta used to have a Master/Servant relationship with the Hausa/Fulani, they are wiser today.

Politics for Awo wasn't merely about controlling the center, it was about controlling the destiny of the Yoruba people and not serving as somebody's slave.

Ask yourselves this important question - who have the Hausa/Fulani ever had a "partnership of equals with"? Igbos? Niger Deltans? Middle Belters? Northern Christians? Who exactly?

Bro get your fact right, tinubu is only fulfilling one of awo predictions. Page 205 of the heroes by awolowo states that one day the best of the conservatives will team up with the best of the progressives to rescue the nation. And that is about to happen.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by solomon111(m): 1:16pm On Dec 02, 2013
Awo never understood real politics?
The same awo that betrayed the biafrans so as not to incur the wrath of the hausa-fulani masters?
The same awo that implemented the horrible,inhumane policy of starvation on the biafrans so as to bring the war to a quick end?
The same awo that began the reconstruction after the civil war, in the west,whereas the war was fought in the east.?
The same awo that hijacked multi-million pounds investments of biafrans and gave them 20pounds as compensation?
Atleast,awo understood the politics of betrayal,fraud and unparalled cowardice.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 1:21pm On Dec 02, 2013
DerideGull:

This is a mere ranting of ant. Is either you stick with tribal identity or you shut up. What the hell are Niger Deltans and Middle Belters?

You sound so bitter and deranged at this advance stage of your life, certainly you gat more hatroid in your veins than Achebe. What bad mentioning your so much boasted political allies.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by DerideGull(m): 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

You sound so bitter and deranged at this advance stage of your life, certainly you gat more hatroid in your veins than Achebe. What bad mentioning your so much boasted political allies.

One of the problems facing Nigerians is the knack to cherish lies, rumors and plain idiocy. I did not see anything wrong in advising a poster to shut it already. I know there is ethnic group known as Igbo but who the hell are Niger Deltans and Middle Belters?

It is unfortunate I let the poster have a free pass on Hausa/Fulani crap. There is no ethnic group in Nigeria called or known as Hausa/Fulani. I know there are Fulani and Hausa. Where in the world did people pull this “Hausa/Fulani” thing? I am not surprised Nigeria is languishing in dilapidated state.

In addition, I an not even surprised the innocuous post is deleted because it did not suit the level of idiocy the moderators wanted to read.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:18pm On Dec 02, 2013
DerideGull:

One of the problems facing Nigerians is the knack to cherish lies, rumors and plain idiocy. I did not see anything wrong in advising a poster to shut it already. I know there is ethnic group known as Igbo but who the hell are Niger Deltans and Middle Belters?

It is unfortunate I let the poster have a free pass on Hausa/Fulani crap. There is no ethnic group in Nigeria called or known as Hausa/Fulani. I know there are Fulani and Hausa. Where in the world did people pull this “Hausa/Fulani” thing? I am not surprised Nigeria is languishing in dilapidated state.

In addition, I an not even surprised the innocuous post is deleted because it did not suit the level of idiocy the moderators wanted to read.

You so bitter grandpa. The Hausa/ Fulani thingy has come to stay. And the last time I check they are political relevant that eastern Jews. How far with the procedure to remove the civil war shrapnel from your cranium.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 2:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

Bro get your fact right, tinubu is only fulfilling one of awo predictions. Page 205 of the heroes by awolowo states that one day the best of the conservatives will team up with the best of the progressives to rescue the nation. And that is about to happen.

By "best of the conservatives" you mean people like Yerima and Modu Sheriff? You think Awo would have had any thing to do with such people?

Let me give you a low down of what will happen assuming APC wins.

1. A Hausa/Fulani Northerner will be president - maybe his VP will come from the SW, SE or SS.
2. The Hausa/Fulanis will take full control of the party away from Tinubu - Tinubu will have only five states he controls: Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Osun & Ekiti. While the Hausa Fulanis will be in full control of 12 states: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Kaduna, Yobe, Borno, Adamawa, Bauchi & Gombe.
3. Igbo politicians being businessmen will simply join up with APC - so Ebonyi, Anambra, Imo & Abia will side with the Hausa/Fulanis in that party.
4. Yorubas & Hausa/Fulanis will never get on well, so there MUST be friction in that party, but since the Hausa/Fulani form an overwhelming majority - it will be very difficult for Tinubu to advance the South West's position in that party.
5. The South West, led by Tinubu will pull out of that party, but then it will be too late. Hausa/Fulanis will simply substitute them for the Igbos and some people from the South South.
6. Tinubu's present behaviour has led to a lot of mistrust from the South East & South South - so it will be extremely difficult to form a coalition with them in future.

This is all Awolowo saw and was prepared to do the long painstaking work of building a coalition where Yorubas aren't the overwhelming majority, but at least in which the party cannot win elections without them.

Awolowo would have jumped at the coalition that supports Jonathan now - Igbos, Niger Delta plus Northern minorities. You add the South West to that, it becomes a majority in perpetuity.

But if you want to return to the bitter experience of June 12 of military regimes where Yorubas are 2ic but seldom ever have any power - you are welcome (if you doubt me, go and ask General Oladipo Diya (rtd)).

Well, I guess you are smarter than I am & so is Tinubu. But I INSIST that Awolowo saw far ahead & wasn't just looking for immediate gains of political thuggery like Akintola.

End of story.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 2:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

If you think teaming up with the North is such a great idea - please go and study, see whether Zik got anything in return for his support of the North. Ask yourself whether Alex Ekwueme got any thing in return from being a loyal servant of the North - or what Saro-Wiwa & Elechi Amadi benefited from their almost fanatical support of the North?

Saro-Wiwa was hanged, the Niger Delta that has consistently supported the North since independence was abandoned by them.

Maybe there are no elders in Yoruba land who anyone listens to again. Maybe Tinubu has shut everyone up, I don't know.

This goes beyond "performing governors" and all these childish slogans you people throw about - this journey you want to embark on, where does it lead, what could go wrong and what do you do if it goes wrong?
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

If you think teaming up with the North is such a great idea - please go and study, see whether Zik got anything in return for his support of the North. Ask yourself whether Alex Ekwueme got any thing in return from being a loyal servant of the North - or what Saro-Wiwa & Elechi Amadi benefited from their almost fanatical support of the North?

Saro-Wiwa was hanged, the Niger Delta that has consistently supported the North since independence was abandoned by them.

Maybe there are no elders in Yoruba land who anyone listens to again. Maybe Tinubu has shut everyone up, I don't know.

This goes beyond "performing governors" and all these childish slogans you people throw about - this journey you want to embark on, where does it lead, what could go wrong and what do you do if it goes wrong?

Even though am not a fan of the northern politicians, I think something need to be done to curtail this mistake administration. And I don't think the northerns can box tinubu aside like the peeps you listed in your post. You will be surprise how he will do to them what obasanjo did to them the last time. My own point is just for gej to leave.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

Let me just add, I think you are a bit naive - Awolowo basically served as number 2 to Gowon during the Civil War. What did he benefit from that? Did the North trust him enough to recommend him for the presidency? No. It was the same story with Abiola.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

Even though am not a fan of the northern politicians, I think something need to be done to curtail this mistake administration. And I don't think the northerns can box tinubu aside like the peeps you listed in your post. You will be surprise how he will do to them what obasanjo did to them the last time. My own point is just for gej to leave.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 2:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

What magic can Tinubu perform? He can stop the North from winning elections in the South West, but once Northerners control the party machinery - it is over - Tinubu either dances to their tune or he goes back to being a regional politician.

Let me remind you that if APC wins, the entire Northern PDP will join APC - & you think that if Awo couldn't deal with those people, Tinubu can?

I laugh.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:42pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

Let me just add, I think you are a bit naive - Awolowo basically served as number 2 to Gowon during the Civil War. What did he benefit from that? Did the North trust him enough to recommend him for the presidency? No. It was the same story with Abiola.

Awo wasn't number two but the finance minister. I gat sympathy for mko. He gat his hand stick with loads of dirty deals with the northern oligarchy. The new agreement is done with mindful bitter experience of the past and I know tinubu is a smart genius. Take a look at tribe of peeps that gat majority of the important post in the new apc , then you gat to respect tinubu and his boys.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

What magic can Tinubu perform? He can stop the North from winning elections in the South West, but once Northerners control the party machinery - it is over - Tinubu either dances to their tune or he goes back to being a regional politician.

Let me remind you that if APC wins, the entire Northern PDP will join APC - & you think that if Awo couldn't deal with those people, Tinubu can?

Why the whole merry-go-rounding about your obsession with tinubu. Dude if you don't like the guy no problem, just respect the fact that the guy gat good grasp of the political game. He foresaw the obj destabilization of the AD. Built the acn of scratch to a regional powerhouse. This man gat the b....alls joor.

I laugh.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

Why the whole merry-go-rounding about your obsession with tinubu. Dude if you don't like the guy no problem, just respect the fact that the guy gat good grasp of the political game. He foresaw the obj destabilization of the AD. Built the acn of scratch to a regional powerhouse. This man gat the b....alls joor.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

Awo wasn't number two but the finance minister. I gat sympathy for mko. He gat his hand stick with loads of dirty deals with the northern oligarchy. The new agreement is done with mindful bitter experience of the past and I know tinubu is a smart genius. Take a look at tribe of peeps that gat majority of the important post in the new apc , then you gat to respect tinubu and his boys.

Awo was de facto "number two" in Gowon's administration.

No problem, we will see how much of a "genius" Tinubu is when folk like Babangida, Abdulsalami & other Northern heavyweights throw their money and their numbers in APC. We've watched this movie several times in the past - the South South and South East helps the North to win elections, only for them to be discarded when elections are won.

Northerners are interested all this "progressive" nonsense talk - they just want the North to control Aso Rock again. If Tinubu's political machine helps them do the job, no problems - the will use and dump it, the same way they used and dumped Zik in the First Republic, Awo after the Civil War, Ekwueme during the Second Republic and Saro-Wiwa after they had no use for him.

Don't say you weren't warned.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by Akanbiedu(m): 3:06pm On Dec 02, 2013
This north is one big bogeyman.

Happyjoe, abeg go sidown somewhere.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by oduaboy1: 3:07pm On Dec 02, 2013
solomon111: Awo never understood real politics?
The same awo that betrayed the biafrans so as not to incur the wrath of the hausa-fulani masters?
The same awo that implemented the horrible,inhumane policy of starvation on the biafrans so as to bring the war to a quick end?
The same awo that began the reconstruction after the civil war, in the west,whereas the war was fought in the east.?
The same awo that hijacked multi-million pounds investments of biafrans and gave them 20pounds as compensation?
Atleast,awo understood the politics of betrayal,fraud and unparalled cowardice.
Please take biafran shit away from this thread....Aren't you people tired of whining on the same issue all the time.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by ibnakogun: 3:13pm On Dec 02, 2013
HappyJoe:

Awo was de facto "number two" in Gowon's administration.

No problem, we will see how much of a "genius" Tinubu is when folk like Babangida, Abdulsalami & other Northern heavyweights throw their money and their numbers in APC. We've watched this movie several times in the past - the South South and South East helps the North to win elections, only for them to be discarded when elections are won.

Northerners are interested all this "progressive" nonsense talk - they just want the North to control Aso Rock again. If Tinubu's political machine helps them do the job, no problems - the will use and dump it, the same way they used and dumped Zik in the First Republic, Awo after the Civil War, Ekwueme during the Second Republic and Saro-Wiwa after they had no use for him.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Damn you really don't understand the issue at hand. Northerns power drunk?? Yes. Tinubu can beat them to their games Yes. Why are zik and his fellow shitard used and dump?? Money call the shot for peeps from their part of the world. And they can easily be bought and sold like goods.
Re: Awolowo Never Understood Real Politics At Anytime –omololu Olunloyo by HappyJoe: 3:45pm On Dec 02, 2013
ibn akogun:

Damn you really don't understand the issue at hand. Northerns power drunk?? Yes. Tinubu can beat them to their games Yes. Why are zik and his fellow shitard used and dump?? Money call the shot for peeps from their part of the world. And they can easily be bought and sold like goods.

You decided to use the expression "shitard" in the same sentence as Zik, a man I respect - a man you are unlikely to ever equal in terms of life achievement.

I can deduce you are a juvenile lack respect or even commonsense.

I will not continue this discussion, have a nice day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

CRAMJONES Clarification Of Events So Far / Tribalism The Bane Of Nairaland Political Section!!" Give Peace A Chance / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.