Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:04 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3855468 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1166) (1167) (1168) (1169) (1170) (1171) (1172) ... (3872) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 11:03pm On Mar 28, 2019
pryme:

OK, just that you requested for demon possession movies na.
Nah, it wasn't me.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:06pm On Mar 28, 2019
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is out y'all.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 3RNEST(m): 7:02am On Mar 29, 2019
Beorn:
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is out y'all.
I prefer part 1 and 2, part 3 is a mess.. embarassed

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 3RNEST(m): 7:02am On Mar 29, 2019
Now Watching

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 7:22am On Mar 29, 2019
3RNEST:

I prefer part 1 and 2, part 3 is a mess.. embarassed

Yet it has the highest rating of the trio? I'll watch it tomorrow morning to confirm your appraisal. I'm on Narcos Mexico for today.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Viking007(m): 7:22am On Mar 29, 2019
mekaprime:

I don't do horror movies, but I mistakenly saw Season of the Witch & IMO, the movie was barely horror. Though it started of well but ultimately descended to utter crap(no offence).

For Constantine, that's a very good movie, I've had it on my laptop for a long time now, but haven't seen it because of fear.

Exorcist, not planning to see this one, not even in my next life. All this people cannot come & kill me with fear.
cheesy cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Viking007(m): 7:25am On Mar 29, 2019
pryme:

OK, just that you requested for demon possession movies na.

people died in the first The Exorcist movies, the set was so cursed that the directors of the movie had to use A REAL PRIEST TO CARRY OUT THE SCENE OF EXORCISM (though they took care to hide his face from the camera).
shocked Like seriously?? Downloading.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ChiefSupplier55(m): 7:27am On Mar 29, 2019
Morning folks

Check out my signature
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 3RNEST(m): 7:35am On Mar 29, 2019
Beorn:

Yet it has the highest rating of the trio? I'll watch it tomorrow morning to confirm your appraisal. I'm on Narcos Mexico for today.
OK
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 3RNEST(m): 7:37am On Mar 29, 2019
mekaprime:

I don't do horror movies, but I mistakenly saw Season of the Witch & IMO, the movie was barely horror. Though it started of well but ultimately descended to utter crap(no offence).

For Constantine, that's a very good movie, I've had it on my laptop for a long time now, but haven't seen it because of fear.

Exorcist, not planning to see this one, not even in my next life. All this people cannot come & kill me with fear.
Jezz, Exorcist?? What kind of movie is that, let me go check it out... shocked
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 29, 2019
mekaprime:
THE GREAT DICTATOR... 9/10
GENRE: comedy, drama, war

Koicereloaded, I used to think CITY LIGHTS was Charlie Chaplins' only pantomime work, damn was I so wrong. I've never laughed this hard before. It wasnt just a clever comedy, it was a satirical masterpiece with a very strong message. Because of the humour & strong message in the movie, its a solid 9 for me. Pls stay of this movie if you have no clue/idea of what pantomime entails.

Oh boy, there's a plethora of masterpieces from whence both came from. There's Modern Times, Limelight, Gold Rush and The Circus. I have always considered City Lights to be my personal favorite, and Modern Times a close second.

I don't really care that much for The Great Dictator. I was laughing and having a great time... until the "speech". Great speech, but it felt out of place. I don't think it really fit within the film. It marred what would have been one of the best cinematic satire of all time.

I have always said that Quentin Tarantino and Armando Iannucci are 21st century incarnations of Charlie Chaplin. His mastery of cinematic satire made him the best among his peers. His movies are often funny, poignant as well as having underlying societal themes and ideas within them.

Personally, his best works are:

- City Lights
- Modern Times
- Limelight
- Gold Rush
- The Great Dictator
- The Circus
- A King in New York (last starring role).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 29, 2019
pryme:

Don't be so sure, there is a rumor going round that Netflix will be bought, that's most Marvel series (Like the Punisher) are pulling out of Netflix.
They are pulling out because of of a misunderstanding with Disney not financial crisis. Did you know their market shares was better than Disney in 2018 and they keep expanding.

A YouTuber (Grace Randolph) once said it was only Netflix that could stand up to the ever expanding arms of Disney.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 29, 2019
pryme:

Don't be so sure, there is a rumor going round that Netflix will be bought, that's most Marvel series (Like the Punisher) are pulling out of Netflix.

BIG. FAT. LIE.

- Disney owns Marvel, thus Netflix pays money to disney to produce Marvel shows.

- Disney started their own streaming service, and since disney is streaming Marvel tv shows tied to the
popular films...

- Netflix rightfully realized that by continuing to produce Marvel tv shows. they'd be a free advertising
medium for a rival service.

- Netflix cancel Marvel shows

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 8:16am On Mar 29, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Oh boy, there's a plethora of masterpieces from whence both came from. There's Modern Times, Limelight, Gold Rush and The Circus. I have always considered City Lights to be my personal favorite, and Modern Times a close second.

I don't really care that much for The Great Dictator. I was laughing and having a great time... until the "speech". Great speech, but it felt out of place. I don't think it really fit within the film. It marred what would have been one of the best cinematic satire of all time.

I have always said that Quentin Tarantino and Armando Iannucci are 21st century incarnations of Charlie Chaplin. His mastery of cinematic satire made him the best among his peers. His movies are often funny, poignant as well as having underlying societal themes and ideas within them.

- City Lights
- Modern Times
- Limelight
- Gold Rush
- The Great Dictator
- The Circus
- A King in New York (last starring role)
At the bolded, I don't think it was out of place, well let's not go into that right now. All the same, tnx for the list, I will surely download & see them all.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 8:28am On Mar 29, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

BIG. FAT. LIE.

- Disney owns Marvel, thus Netflix pays money to disney to produce Marvel shows.

- Disney started their own streaming service, and since disney is streaming Marvel tv shows tied to the
popular films...

- Netflix rightfully realized that by continuing to produce Marvel tv shows. they'd be a free advertising
medium for a rival service.

- Netflix cancel Marvel shows

Wait how much do you think Netflix is really making. Don't think for one second that Netflix cannot be sold (in this case Disney is suppose to be the one, whether this will happen or not - time will tell), if a whole Metro Goldwyn Meyer can go bankrupt years ago what makes you think Netflix cannot be sold. 10 billion in debt does not speak well for such company.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 29, 2019
pryme:

Wait how much do you think Netflix is really making. Don't think for one second that Netflix cannot be sold (in this case Disney is suppose to be the one, whether this will happen or not - time will tell), if a whole Metro Goldwyn Meyer can go bankrupt years ago what makes you think Netflix cannot be sold. 10 billion in debt does not speak well for such company.

No company is infallible. Even Disney can suddenly go bankrupt tomorrow and merge with a more stable financial titan in order to stay relevant.

As for the debt, it's nothing to a financial powerhouse like Netflix. The billions they owe is known as a serviceable debt, and apparently, serviceable debts are the norm with huge companies. As long as you make more than you spend, you should be fine. It's only a problem when you're at a deficit and can no longer make payments.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:06am On Mar 29, 2019
Viking007:

Not only that there is more in this YouTube clip about cursed sets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDE6FWybLPg

For what happened behind scene on The Exorcist you can skip to this time stamp 17:40
But you can watch the whole clip if you want to grin

This clip did not say that in The Omen series the director of the movie had an accident, he survived but his girlfriend next to he had head cut off exactly like in one of the scenes in the movie. The accident happened because the car crashed into a signpost, can you guess what number was on the signpost?

And you see one of the movie in this clip said that the cinema company had to bring priests during the premiere in the cinema to bless the audience that watch the movie before leaving, like WTF!!

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:14am On Mar 29, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

No company is infallible. Even Disney can suddenly go bankrupt tomorrow and merge with a more stable financial titan in order to stay relevant.

As for the debt, it's nothing to a financial powerhouse like Netflix. The billions they owe is known as a serviceable debt, and apparently, serviceable debts are the norm with huge companies. As long as you make more than you spend, you should be fine. It's only a problem when you're at a deficit and can no longer make payments.

It's only a matter of time I tell you. Now we here Apple wants to also start their streaming service, if Netflix gets unlucky Apple and Amazon find a smarter way of distributing content then they will go down faster cos as now they can't compete with YouTube. But I see Netflix going down unless there is a drastic change.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:21am On Mar 29, 2019
Viking007:

No not this one,

The Exorcist is different from "Exorcist: The Beginning"

The one am talking about is The Exorcist (1974)
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Itzneowizy(m): 9:22am On Mar 29, 2019
mekaprime:

By saying the illusionist is the younger brother to the prestige, i meant that although, they both have different plots but both movies share a similar theme, the theme of Rivalry. Also, they both try as much as possible to explore love, and obsession through the world of illusion. They also have lots of twist, turns & WTF did I just see moments, but that of THE PRESTIGE is far more greater than THE ILLUSIONIST, thus, that's were the younger brother phrase comes in.

As for the explanation of the illusion in THE ILLUSIONIST, if it is the ghost image, then It was suggested in the movie itself that these were mere illusions. A couple of performers (perhaps) demonstrate to the inspector how it could be done using what would be called Smoke and Mirrors (S&M) today. It can be surmised that Eisenheim perfected the technique and used it for his illusion.

Here is a similar & more detailed explanation to mine, I found on IMBD
The method for creating the ghosts as shown to inspector Uhl involved the projection of a pre-recorded image into a hazy background. Since the ghosts Eisenheim conjured could speak to and interact with the audience, he most likely used a different method popular among magicians at that time. A fantascope was used to illuminate a real person off stage. The image was reflected off of a mirror or glassplate, creating a ghosted image. The lanterns that Eisenheim tells his assistants to leave behind when they are packing up the workshop bear a strong resemblance to fantascopes.
Still a bit vague tho...but thanks for the enlightenment
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 29, 2019
pryme:

It's only a matter of time I tell you. Now we here Apple wants to also start their streaming service, if Netflix gets unlucky Apple and Amazon find a smarter way of distributing content then they will go down faster cos as now they can't compete with YouTube. But I see Netflix going down unless there is a drastic change.

If Netflix' closest competitor, Amazon-owned Prime, is unable to threaten Netflix after years of continuous attempts, what made you think Apple's insignificant new streaming service will even make a dent?

Pretty much every media outlet nowadays is going into the premium streaming market because it's where the money's at. BBC's iPlayer, AT&T's HBO Go, Amazon's Prime, Disney's Hulu, Google's YouTube Red, Sony's Crackle, etc are all veterans of the premium streaming scene, and yet none has been able to corner the competitive premium streaming world. For instance, Sony-owned Crackle has been around for quite a while, and yet only few people have heard about the streaming service, and fewer still have watched their original programs. Methink Apple's new streaming service is only gonna add to the ever growing streaming dump, and won't even show up on the radar.

Netflix has the premium streaming market cornered, and unless there's a fantastically astronomical f**k-up from the streaming giant, they're only gonna get stronger by the day. They're branched out in ways their rivals can only dream of and fantasize about. Netflix is here to stay, bro.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:45am On Mar 29, 2019
grin
KoiceReloaded:

- City Lights
- Modern Times
- Limelight
- Gold Rush
- The Great Dictator
- The Circus
- A King in New York (last starring role).

See this old man.

grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 29, 2019
JeromeBlack:
grin

See this old man.
grin
Lolz. Don't mind me jare. I just love classics.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:51am On Mar 29, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Lolz. Don't mind me jare. I just love classics.

I have only watched 2 films on your list. If I have time, I will watch more classics
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 11:12am On Mar 29, 2019
Itzneowizy:
Still a bit vague tho...but thanks for the enlightenment

Lol. At the bolded, thought as much. I read somewhere that the little explanation they gave us at the end of the movie was actually the inspectors point of view on how everything happened. This actually means that there are infinite number of explications as to what really happened in that movie & the writer might have knowingly kept it that way. To me, the movie is one I would refer to as one of those close to a masterpiece thrillers, that keeps you postulating theories upon theories after seeing it.

SPOILER ALERT

Here is another explanation I pulled from a site online, it's quite long though.

Alright, so I just watched the Illusionist for the first time and I was very disappointed with the explanation that was offered in the film. However, I think the explanation may have gone a little deeper than the film indicated. (Caution: spoilers)

So, at the beginning of the movie, Sophie asks Eisenheim to "make them disappear." Of course, he can't so they end up being parted. And then he goes off to who knows where to learn magic (presumably). And that's where he learns to makes things really disappear.

My theory is that Eisenheim himself is a ghost, as is Sophie. Crazy, right? Yeah, but there is evidence to back it up.

Cut to the start of Eisenheim's career. Early on the in the movie, he meets with his manager, who offers him a pastry (I think). Eisenheim turns him down. Later, the inspector offers him food as well and Eisenheim does the same thing. Trival, you say? I don't think so. If Eisenheim is indeed a ghost, he therefore wouldn't be able to eat, hence the reason why he declines the food.

Next, we have the 'death' trick with Sophie. Remember that weird little ghost thing that comes out of the mirror? The only reason Eisenheim is able to control that is because he is a ghost. We'll come back to this issue later.

Then, we have the trick where Eisenheim paints the picture without touching it. Because he is a spirit, he can move things without touching them. That's how he paints the picture.

Now, we get to the good stuff. Eisenheim and Sophie get together and the illusionist starts to plan. He knows the only way for Sophie to disappear is to become a spirit. This is the only way that they can be together in peace. As Sophie says, "The crown prince will hunt us until we die."

He then tells Sophie his plan and she accepts out of love for him. Then, she visits the Prince. She knows about his temperaments and his history as abusive. But she goes anyway. When she tells the Prince she is leaving him, he follows her outside and then, kills her. But this is all part of the plan.

Next, Eisenheim begins his obsession with contacting the dead. The explanation the movie offers for his ability to do this is simply through some sort of projection and that the dead aren't real. But I'm going to say they are. And the only reason Eisenheim holds any power over them is because he, too, is dead.

Is this starting to make sense?

Then, we have the scene prior to Eisenheim's second arrest where he does appear to be a spirit. This is probably the point that is the most difficult to explain given the movie's explanation. Was Eisenheim a projection throughout the whole show? No, he was a spirit the whole time but this is the first time he reveals it.

Then, the inspector beginnings his investigation. When he opens the book titled "Orange Tree" after the illusionist's infamous trick, he is met with only the plans for the locket Eisenheim makes for Sophie. But this is symbolic here. The locket itself takes two shapes, but can switch between the two-- the oval that it presents itself to be and the heart. This, in my theory, explains how Eisenheim is a ghost. He can switch between what people see him as-- a ghost or a normal, human being. That is his true illusion. And the locket is representative of that. Eisenheim can switch between his ghost form and the more corporeal he takes on. That is the trick.

However, the inspector does not accept this. Throughout the movie, we see his constant need to understand how Eisenheim does his magic. He is constantly asking, "How did you do that? Teach me how." So, it makes sense that when the inspector sees the truth-- that there is no trick in the sense that he imagined-- he doesn't accept it.

It is only when Eisenheim later returns in his corporeal form and offers the other book about the Orange Tree explained, that the inspector is satisfied with the explanation. He realizes that everything was a trick, and quickly makes up a theory about how everything else went down. This is the theory we are presented with, as the story is told from the inspector's point of view. But it is wrong.

The inspector is a sensible man-- always looking for how things can be done. He never for a second believes that Eisenheim illusions are anything but illusions. So, when he is offered an explanation that takes away any unexplainable things, he readily accepts it. To him, there is no way the Eisenheim is actually magical and that his illusions are true.

And, for all you romantics out there, we can assume that Eisenheim and Sophie ended up happily together, taking on their corporeal form somewhere in a cottage in the middle of nowhere.

So, that is what I think the true explanation of the Illusionist is. It's definitely more exciting that the one the inspector offers and, in my opinion, makes more sense. I hope you agree.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 29, 2019
Now I am interested in watching The illusionist smiley

Chalked down on the next download wink
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 29, 2019
Captain Marvel (2019)

2.5/10

Nothing special/important about this movie, for marvel fans you can just watch the beginning and the post credit scenes of the movie and you are ready for Avengers: Endgame. back to my reviews, this movie was more feminist than wonder-woman like scenes about cockpit, mar-vell, changing the concept of supreme intelligence, etc.
the story was just scattered everywhere like babies toys, Bad writing, pooer dialogues and bad jokes, the visuals was just undecided but better than black panther. Nick fury losing his eye was just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
The main villian could not do any harm to captain marvel so what kind of useless villian is that? Just dissappointed with the movie angry angry angry

I AM THE ONE ABOVE ALL my say is the final say

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by gustav25: 1:21pm On Mar 29, 2019
TheOneAboveAll:
Captain Marvel (2019)

2.5/10

Nothing special/important about this movie, for marvel fans you can just watch the beginning and the post credit scenes of the movie and you are ready for Avengers: Endgame. back to my reviews, this movie was more feminist than wonder-woman like scenes about cockpit, mar-vell, changing the concept of supreme intelligence, etc.
the story was just scattered everywhere like babies toys, Bad writing, pooer dialogues and bad jokes, the visuals was just undecided but better than black panther. Nick fury losing his eye was just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
The main villian could not do any harm to captain marvel so what kind of useless villian is that? Just dissappointed with the movie angry angry angry

Okay
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 29, 2019
TheOneAboveAll:
Captain Marvel (2019)

2.5/10

....the visuals was just undecided...

...Nick fury losing his eye was just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.....

Dude, what are you saying? Stop playing around

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 29, 2019
Nnaabros:

....the visuals was just undecided...

...Nick fury losing his eye was just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.....

Dude, what are you saying? Stop playing around
i dont want to drop spoilers some people havent watched it
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by vampire2020: 2:57pm On Mar 29, 2019
Viking007:
Series?
oh my bad,I thought he meant series,but AHS is one hell of a scary series.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1166) (1167) (1168) (1169) (1170) (1171) (1172) ... (3872) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.