Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,356 members, 7,881,309 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:22 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (761) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3864263 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) ... (3873) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by quinSonia(f): 12:10am On Jul 28, 2018
deadpool just shade DC and Green lantern

classicgrin

dead pool 2 8.5/10 abeg
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 2:51am On Jul 28, 2018
Funjosh:
Pompeii 7/10

Can't believe this was a true life event. Do we still have such disaster happening in this generation embarassed

Yes
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by jade912: 4:06am On Jul 28, 2018
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 7:03am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Shutter Island is a masterpiece. I was so pissed that DiCaprio didn't win an Oscar for it, but then The Oscars is mostly a political institution atm.

At first, I was completely mindf**ked by the ending, but after watching the film again, I figured it out. Edward was completely sane at the end, but chose to pretend to be insane rather than to live with the memory of what he did and what happened to his kids.

You can never go wrong with a DiCaprio movie. The man's name is synonymous with quality. All movies he played a prominent character in are consistently good.

- The Departed (Holy sh*t!)
- Catch me if you can (the movie is aptly named)
- Blood Diamond (thriller)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (classic DiCaprio)
- The Revenant (he finally won an Oscars with this one)
- Inception (His biggest mindf**k movie to date)
- The Great Gatsby (Very emotional)
- Django Unchained (typical Tarantino flick)
- Titanic (Everyone has seen this at least twice in their lives)
- The Man in the Iron Mask (one of his most difficult roles because he played two different characters with contrasting characteristics)
- Poison Ivy (young DiCaprio. His breakout role)
- The Aviator
- Body of Lies
- Gangs of New York

If you're into more mindf**ks, check out:

- Donnie Darko
- Se7en (Holy sh*t)
- Looper
- Primer
- Mr. Nobody
- Triangle
- Fight Club
- Predestination
- Prestige
- American Psycho
- The Usual Suspects
- Cloud Atlas
- Source Code
- V for Vendetta (Remember Mr Smith from the Matrix trilogy?)
- Edge of Tomorrow (Tom Cruise at his best)
- The life of Pi
- Identity
- 12 Monkeys

I plucked the list directly from my HDD. I have had them for years. They are so good that I can't bring myself to delete any of them. I've deleted some, but not these.
I understood the ending immediately Teddy spoke the words and I just felt bummed. I've been thinking of the movie since yesterday. Absolutely brilliant!
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JackBizzle: 8:43am On Jul 28, 2018
Viking007:

We are on the same page. I don't know what brother Funjosh watched that he's rating it 5/10.

Lol.

Maybe he watched an old incomplete pirated version.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
I don't like the revenant movie was bored all through..this movie shouldn't av been the one that delivered him the Oscar...great gasby should av been the one...I don't know why people don't talk about "the beach" by DiCaprio...really liked the movie... my issue is not having these movies but to create the to watch the movies I have seen before is my problem... the best I do is watch fight scenes that's all...but to watch a movie again from beginning to the end...with the kind of access I have to get new movies is my problem

I disagree. His method acting on The Revenant was spectacular.

Attacked by a bear, mauled half to death, managed to kill said bear, left for dead by his colleagues, son got murdered protecting him, somehow able to rouse himself up inspite of his injuries, buried son, evade native indian attack, saved a native indian woman from gang-rape, stole horses, killed a few Frenchmen, took shelter inside the gut of a dead horse, ate a raw meat to keep from starvation, managed to make it back to base, sets out again the following morning, tracked his son's murderer down, fought him, defeated him in a short but brutal scuffle.

The spectacular part? He did very little talking in the whole process. Why? 'Cuz he didn't need to. He knew to convey the necessary emotions through his body language and expressions, that any more dialogue than was needed would have done him a disservice. Method acting 101. Very few actors have this particular talent/skill.

Great Gatsby is awesome, and yes, he deserved an Oscar for it. Hell, he deserved an Oscar for more than half of all of his movies.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Lh19(m): 9:06am On Jul 28, 2018
Aswear that Deadpool's postcredit scene is one of my best postcredit scenes ever
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JackBizzle: 9:07am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Attacked by a bear, mauled half to death, managed to kill said bear, left for dead by his colleagues, son got murdered protecting him, somehow able to rouse himself up inspite of his injuries, buried son, evade native indian attack, saved a native indian woman from gang-rape, stole horses, killed a few Frenchmen, took shelter inside the gut of a dead horse, ate a raw meat to keep from starvation, managed to make it back to base, sets out again the following morning, tracked his son's murderer down, fought him, defeated him in a short but brutal scuffle.

The spectacular part? He did very little talking in the whole process. Why? 'Cuz he didn't need to. He knew to convey the necessary emotions through his body language and expressions, that any more dialogue than was needed would have done him a disservice. Method acting 101. Very few actors have this particular talent/skill.

Great Gatsby is awesome, and yes, he deserved an Oscar for it. Hell, he deserved an Oscar for more than half of all of his movies.

I hated the revenant.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by newjosboy: 10:03am On Jul 28, 2018
oyetpel:

Yes

U no see dat gigantic gully erosion in Onitsha?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by olu4life(m): 10:04am On Jul 28, 2018
Extinction - 4/10 angry Started well and ended as one of the crappy movies. NEXT!!!

Jurassic World loading.... cheesy grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 10:14am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Leo's Oscar award for The Revenant was not merited, it's more like "dashed" to him because he's been denied on multiple occasions in the past. It's been long overdue that's why he was given that Oscar. The Revenant showed perseverance and determination, and Leo was fantastic in it, but it's nothing so "extraordinary" to deserve an Oscar. Movie was like a wildlife documentary.

Leo has pulled off more epic acting than what was seen on The Revenant. His Oscar-deserving roles are in movies like

Wolf of Wall Street
Departed
Aviator
Catch Me If You Can.
Titanic
Shutter Island

The Revenant is not Oscar worthy. Can you compare the brilliant acting in Wolf of Wall Street to that survival wildlife documentary called The Revenant?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 10:56am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

At first, I was completely mindf**ked by the ending, but after watching the film again, I figured it out. Edward was completely sane at the end, but chose to pretend to be insane rather than to live with the memory of what he did and what happened to his kids.

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. The movie does not indicate clearly. More specifically, Leo's acting in that scene was too ambigous to make a judgement.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

Leo's Oscar award for The Revenant was not merited, it's more like "dashed" to him because he's been denied on multiple occasions in the past. It's been long overdue that's why he was given that Oscar. The Revenant showed perseverance and determination, and Leo was fantastic in it, but it's nothing so "extraordinary" to deserve an Oscar. Movie was like a wildlife documentary.

Leo has pulled off more epic acting than what was seen on The Revenant. His Oscar-deserving roles are in movies like

Wolf of Wall Street
Departed
Aviator
Catch Me If You Can.
Titanic
Shutter Island

The Revenant is not Oscar worthy. Can you compare the brilliant acting in Wolf of Wall Street to that survival wildlife documentary called The Revenant?

Hahaha.

Do you know why I laughed? You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyhoo, take a long look at the list below:

- Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
- Matt Damon, The Martian
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

These are the 5 actors nominated for the "best actor" category, that year. All their roles are what some of you would call boring. Most of their character roles are adapted from biographies. Yet, an average guy on the street won't be able to recall any of these characters as were portrayed by these men, except DiCaprio's. You are so quick to rain on DiCaprio's parade, but forgot to factor in the fact that the competition might have been weaker. This is what happens when you let sentiments drive you instead of logic.

Bottom line, DiCaprio's The Revenant was clearly not his best nor 2nd best nor even his 5th best, but in the 2016 Oscars, it was enough to snag him an Oscar since the competition that year was pretty weak, and for that reason, it was well deserved.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 28, 2018
troubleseller:
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. The movie does not indicate clearly. More specifically, Leo's acting in that scene was too ambigous to make a judgement.
I know what you mean, but that's how I chose to interpret it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Prinxxdave: 11:13am On Jul 28, 2018
JackBizzle:
For the anime fans, Please try to watch "prison school"

Ishilove, I guarantee that you will love this animation

10/10

e too sweet.....I wish season 2 dy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Bryan12(m): 11:21am On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
maybe I will watch the den of thieves...am not a fan of black american movie I will try and watch it...if the movie no sweet bro na attack I go attack u I cannot waste 925mb on that though its been long

The only black American that played a major role in den of thieves na Curtis Jackson (50cent).So its not a black american thing. I think you'll like merriman the lead actor. wink
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 11:32am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Hahaha.

Do you know why I laughed? You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyhoo, take a long look at the list below:

- Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
- Matt Damon, The Martian
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

These are the 5 actors nominated for the "best actor" category, that year. All their roles are what some of you would call boring. Most of their character roles are adapted from biographies. Yet, an average guy on the street won't be able to recall any of these characters as were portrayed by these men, except DiCaprio's. You are so quick to rain on DiCaprio's parade, but forgot to factor in the fact that the competition might have been weaker. This is what happens when you let sentiments drive you instead of logic.

Bottom line, DiCaprio's The Revenant was clearly not his best nor 2nd best nor even his 5th best, but in the 2016 Oscars, it was enough to snag him an Oscar since the competition that year was pretty weak, hence, it was well deserved.

How could you say that I'm raining on Leo's parade when I've been Leo's fan from the first time I watched Titanic, and followed it up with The Man in the Iron Mask? I've been of the opinion for so long that Leo deserved an Oscar award for his role in Gangs of New York, just that he came up against the king of Oscars in Daniel Day-Lewis. I cannot rain on the parade of someone I was so gutted for when he's denied an Oscar for his role in Wolf of Wall Street.

You're even proving me right by saying the competition for that year's category was weak. It solidifies my opinion that The Revenant was nothing spectacular. If The Revenant is compared to other Leo's movies, it'll come up short. Google Leo's top acting, The Revenant is barely in any site's top 5. I'd take Eddie Redmayne's acting in The Danish Girl over the Leo's acting in The Revenant, boring or not. Being boring is not a criteria in my choice of good acting. After all someone ignored the spectacular performance of James McAvoy in Split and rated it poorly. Some of my friends found Eddie's acting in Theory of Everything to be boring as well, but it got him a well-deserved Oscar award.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by newjosboy: 11:36am On Jul 28, 2018
Bryan12:

The only black American that played a major role in den of thieves na Curtis Jackson (50cent).So its not a black american thing. I think you'll like merriman the lead actor. wink

The emboldened is wrong. You forgot about the bartender who escaped with the money to UK.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 11:36am On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Bottom line, DiCaprio's The Revenant was clearly not his best nor 2nd best nor even his 5th best, but in the 2016 Oscars, it was enough to snag him an Oscar since the competition that year was pretty weak, and for that reason, it was well deserved.

You added this addendum. Well, you can make an excuse for The Revenant based on this premise and you may be right. The competition that year were too weak.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 11:45am On Jul 28, 2018
Bryan12:

Wrong. Oshea Jackson, Ice Cube's son, is a black American.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2018
JackBizzle:
I see people mentioning "the matrix".

The movie is legendary. Game changing.

However, if you have not watched "the Animatrix", which is the animated companion to the matrix, then you do not fully understand the matrix.

Wow, i love every bit of The Animatrix. Thanks
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Oscar never seem to amuse me...Cassey affleck banged an Oscar for the same close method acting in Manchester by Sea..brie Larson and Frances mcdormand also won an Oscar for her role in the room and 3 billboard in missouri ... particularly the only reason I would say they deserved it is because the 95% of the movie scene were all about them they mist have really exhausted a lot of energy same with DiCaprio aside that acting isn't top notch the way u parade it..seen DiCaprio in blood diamond, great gasby, django unchained, many more I can say revenant is not even close... this same brie Larson did better in glass castle than the stupid the room movie....
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

How could you say that I'm raining on Leo's parade when I've been Leo's fan from the first time I watched Titanic, and followed it up with The Man in the Iron Mask? I've been of the opinion for so long that Leo deserved an Oscar award for his role in Gangs of New York, just that he came up against the king of Oscars in Daniel Day-Lewis. I cannot rain on the parade of someone I was so gutted for when he's denied an Oscar for his role in Wolf of Wall Street.

Clearly, you quoted me out of context. To elaborate, you were quick to criticize DiCaprio's 2016 Oscars win by boldly asserting that his victory was undeserving due to a tepid performance in a "wildlife documentary" (lolz), conveniently forgetting that other nominees might have fared far worse. Surely, you don't really believe that nonsense about the Oscars doing him a favor by "dashing" him an award, do you? I mean, the guy cleared all the prestigious precursor awards going into the Oscars. Or would you say Golden Globe and Tonys organizers did him favors too? Leonardo DiCaprio must be one hell of a charmer!
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
Oscar never seem to amuse me...Cassey affleck banged an Oscar for the same close method acting in Manchester by Sea.. Frances mcdormand also won an Oscar for her role in 3 billboard in missouri... particularly the only reason I would say they deserved it is because the 95% of the movie scene were all about them they mist have really exhausted a lot of energy same with DiCaprio aside that acting isn't top notch the way u parade it..seen DiCaprio in blood diamond, great gasby, django unchained, many more I can say revenant is not even close...

Agreed, but we're not comparing his role in the The Revenant with his other roles in other movies, are we? What matters is the fact that he outperformed his other competitors that year, that's all.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 12:48pm On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

Wolf of Wall Street
Departed
Aviator
Catch Me If You Can.
Titanic
Shutter Island

spent 3 weeks finishing that movie cuz I was always sleeping halfway....he won the movie based on physical effort and energy directed towards it...but overall acting certainly not the reason...abegi been watching movie from my mom' womb and telling me an Oscar for that is worthy for someone like DiCaprio nor Casey affleck brie Larson or Frances mcdormand..it's a disappointment on his part and I know he is aware
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JackBizzle: 12:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
oyetpel:

Nice
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JackBizzle: 12:50pm On Jul 28, 2018
oyetpel:

Me too
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 1:00pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Agreed, but we're not comparing his role in the The Revenant with his other roles in other movies, are we? What matters is the fact that he outperformed his other competitors that year, that's all.
agreed but that same year Charlize Theron was denied best actress for her role in mad max despite movie grabbing 7 awards if u ask them she has won one before...Oscar are racial folks..remember DiCaprio is not american he is Italian..well to be frank had he had competitors he would av lost it again... they just gave him like OK oo just take at least u can also boast of one...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Bryan12(m): 1:04pm On Jul 28, 2018
newjosboy:

The emboldened is wrong. You forgot about the bartender who escaped with the money to UK.
Thanks for your observation.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
spent 3 weeks finishing that movie cuz I was always sleeping halfway....he won the movie based on physical effort and energy directed towards it...but overall acting certainly not the reason...abegi been watching movie from my mom' womb and telling me an Oscar for that is worthy for someone like DiCaprio nor Casey affleck brie Larson or Frances mcdormand..it's a disappointment on his part and I know he is aware

What is this guy talking about?? shocked

He won his first Oscars in 2 decades with that movie and was so sure that he's gonna win that he rehearsed a very funny long speech, and later, took his sweet time delivering it to the applauding crowd. grin grin

So, I ask, what is there to be disappointed about??

(1) (2) (3) ... (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) ... (3873) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.