Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,356 members, 7,881,308 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:21 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (762) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3864263 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) ... (3873) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
agreed but that same year Charlize Theron was denied best actress for her role in mad max despite movie grabbing 7 awards if u ask them she has won one before...Oscar are racial folks..remember DiCaprio is not american he is Italian..well to be frank had he had competitors he would av lost it again... they just gave him like OK oo just take at least u can also boast of one...

Correction: Leonardo DiCaprio is American, German-American to be precise with a bit of Russian and tiny specter of italian thrown in.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 1:17pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Clearly, you quoted me out of context. To elaborate, you were quick to criticize DiCaprio's 2016 Oscars win by boldly asserting that his victory was undeserving due to a tepid performance in a "wildlife documentary" (lolz), conveniently forgetting that other nominees might have fared far worse. Surely, you don't really believe that nonsense about the Oscars doing him a favor by "dashing" him an award, do you? I mean, the guy cleared all the prestigious precursor awards going into the Oscars. Or would you say Golden Globe and Tonys organizers did him favors too? Leonardo DiCaprio must be one hell of a charmer!

Saying it's a wildlife documentary kinda diminished the quality of the film, I admit, but it wasn't to make fun of the film but to truly show it's not in the same range of top Leo's films or acts.

And your last sentence is not a strong foundation to build your defence of Leo's Oscar win on. Do you think that's the first time Leo had won precursor awards going into the Oscars and yet lost out at the grand stage? If you think it is, then think again. DiCaprio's portrayals of Howard Hughes in The Aviator (2004) won him the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama. His performance as Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) won him the Golden Globe award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy. What I'm trying to say is that, there are many actors out there that won precursor awards going into Oscars and lost at the Oscars. If we are judging with your analogy, then Leo would've won with the Aviator and Wolf of Wall Street which I admit are better than The Revenant in all levels.

I still insist that Leo got that Oscar because it's been long overdue, not because of any piece of great spectacular acting. Eddie Redmayne won an Oscar for portraying stephen Hawking, then for portraying "Einar Wegener" in The Danish Girl he should have gotten Oscar,because his performance in The Danish Girl was better than that of The Theory of Everything or at par. Your opinion that people would easily forget his acting (or that of other actors nominated alongside Leo for that year) or term it boring shouldn't count after all Casey Affleck was the epitome of boredom in Manchester By Sea and yet won an Oscar for it. The brilliance of an acting is considered, the values of the film as well or what it potrays, but never the fun (or lack of it) of the act. He faced a less commercially successful movie in The Danish Girl, that's why he won. If The Danish Girl had as much marketing and significance as Theory of Everything had, nobody would be debating the worthiness of Leo's Oscar win with The Revenant.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by FoolishBoy419: 1:19pm On Jul 28, 2018
Guys who knows any of joy nwoke movies? Im looking for the one which she acted as a rich heir (with angela phillips as her lawyer). I missed the ending
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
spent 3 weeks finishing that movie cuz I was always sleeping halfway ....he won the movie based on physical effort and energy directed towards it...but overall acting certainly not the reason...abegi been watching movie from my mom' womb and telling me an Oscar for that is worthy for someone like DiCaprio nor Casey affleck brie Larson or Frances mcdormand..it's a disappointment on his part and I know he is aware

3 weeks ke? Shuooo. shocked shocked. Was the movie that boring to you? I finished it at a go and never found it boring. But what juxtaposed with other Leo's top notch movies, it pales very deep in comparison.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 1:24pm On Jul 28, 2018
FoolishBoy419:
Guys who knows any of joy nwoke movies? Im looking for the one which she acted as a rich heir (with angela phillips as her lawyer). I missed the ending

You may have to look for another thread for your question's answer, because we hardly watch Nollywood over here.

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

Saying it's a wildlife documentary kinda diminished the quality of the film, I admit, but it wasn't to make fun of the film but to truly show it's not in the same range of top Leo's films or acts.

And your last sentence is not a strong foundation to build your defence of Leo's Oscar win on. Do you think that's the first time Leo had won precursor awards going into the Oscars and yet lost out at the grand stage? If you think it is, then think again. DiCaprio's portrayals of Howard Hughes in The Aviator (2004) won him the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama. His performance as Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) won him the Golden Globe award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy. What I'm trying to say is that, there are many actors out there that won precursor awards going into Oscars and lost at the Oscars. If we are judging with your analogy, then Leo would've won with the Aviator and Wolf of Wall Street which I admit are better than The Revenant in all levels.

I still insist that Leo got that Oscar because it's been long overdue, not because of any piece of great spectacular acting. Eddie Redmayne won an Oscar for portraying stephen Hawking, then for portraying "Einar Wegener" in The Danish Girl he should have gotten Oscar,because his performance in The Danish Girl was better than that of The Theory of Everything or at par. Your opinion that people would easily forget his acting (or that of other actors nominated alongside Leo for that year) or term it boring shouldn't count after all Casey Affleck was the epitome of boredom in Manchester By Sea and yet won an Oscar for it. The brilliance of an acting is considered, the values of the film as well or what it potrays, but never the fun (or lack of it) of the act. He faced a less commercially successful movie in The Danish Girl, that's why he won. If The Danish Girl had as much marketing and significance as Theory of Everything had, nobody would be debating the worthiness of Leo's Oscar win with The Revenant.
So to summarize, Eddie Redmayne deserved the award more than him? Hahahaha

Are you talking about the same Danish Girl that I couldn't bring myself to finish? Such a borefest. Btw, according to overall polls, Eddie came 3rd, a distant 3rd at that. Matt Damon beat him to 2nd place. Make what you can of that/make what you will of it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

So to summarize, Eddie Redmayne deserved the award more than him? Hahahaha

Are you talking about the same Danish Girl that I couldn't bring myself to finish? Such a borefest. Btw, according to overall polls, Eddie came 3rd, a distant 3rd at that. Matt Damon beat him to 2nd place. Make what you can of that.

LOL. Do you know Manchester By Sea is a sleep-inducing pill to me? The epitome of borefest. Bored me so much that I slept off three times before I'd finish the movie. Yet it's highly rated and won an Oscar for Casey Affleck. Make no mistake, I love The Revenant more than The Danish Girl any day, anytime, I'm just highlighting that being fun is not good enough a criteria to give an actor an Oscar. There are more popular ways to readily get an Oscar even if the character is boring:

1. Portraying a legendary or biographical character like Gary Oldham portraying Winstone Churchill in Darkest Hour or Eddie portraying the character in Theory of Everything, or Dicaprio in Wolf of Wolf Street, or Denzel portraying Malcom X in the movie with the same name (although Denzel was denied an Oscar for his performance).

2. And while at it, either gaining or losing weight, or acting disabled. Voters loved that shït. For example the Best Actor wins for
Geoffrey Rush’s turn as an idïot savant pianist in “Shine,” Tom Cruise’s portrayal of paraplegic Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic in “Born on the Fourth of July,” Daniel Day-Lewis’ foot-painting cerebral palsy victim, Christy Brown in “My Left Foot” and Eddie Redmayne for the Stephen Hawking bio-pic “The Theory of Everything.”.

Oscar awards for Best Actor or Supporting Actor are more easily given for those 2 reasons than "being fun" criteria.

As for coming 3rd in polls, it's nothing shocking; Actors who deserved to win Oscars during their time didn't come first in the polls either.

But before the issue drags on unnecessarily, I agree with you that the oppositions standing in the way of Leo in 2016 were weak. I'm just saying, compared to other vintage Leo's performance, The Revenant is lagging far behind.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 2:42pm On Jul 28, 2018
Jurassic world 2018 5/10

Didn't meet up to my expectations

Deadpool 2 7/10

Advengers infinity war 8.5/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

What is this guy talking about?? shocked

He won his first Oscars in 2 decades with that movie and was so sure that he's gonna win that he rehearsed a very funny long speech, and later, took his sweet time delivering it to the applauding crowd. grin grin

So, I ask, what is there to be disappointed about??
first oscar in 2 decades...nobody in so called state at that time won't feel happy to share gratitude to the crowd knowing fully well in mind that he has been cheated and denied several times...its normal anyone given would appreciate it ..
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyetpel(m): 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2018
Moneyboyz:
Jurassic world 2018 5/10
Didn't meet up to my expectations
Deadpool 2 7/10
Advengers infinity war 8.5/10
Bros, u dey vex o
Where u see Infinity war?
Camrip?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Correction: Leonardo DiCaprio is American, German-American to be precise with a bit of Russian and tiny specter of italian thrown in.
he a citizen of america isn't full breed...his ancestry shows he is of Italian German Russian decent the name "DiCaprio" is italian.. just like saying dybala is Argentine but ancestry shows he is polish...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Moneyboyz: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2018
oyetpel:

Bros, u dey vex o

Where u see Infinity war?

Camrip?

Cinema
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dreyl(m): 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2018
Assassin Creed
journey to the West
Avengers infinity war
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Bryan12(m): 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

You may have to look for another thread for your question's answer, because we hardly watch Nollywood over here.
grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Delenewsonline: 3:46pm On Jul 28, 2018
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Delenewsonline: 3:46pm On Jul 28, 2018
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
he a citizen of america isn't full breed...his ancestry shows he is of Italian German Russian decent the name "DiCaprio" is italian.. just like saying dybala is Argentine but ancestry shows he is polish...

What are on about? There is no such thing as a "full breed american". There is so much that is wrong with that phrase that I don't even know where to begin to rectify some of it.

For one, every American (except for the native indians) immigrated from somewhere at a point in time in history, to the new world (called North America nowadays), and thus can always trace their ancestry from whence their ancestors emigrated from. No American is "full breed american". They all come from somewhere, and most often than not are a mixture of different ancestry. DiCaprio is a good example.

Remember you said he's Italian? Well, you're not wrong, but you aren't right either. He has an italian blood but it goes deeper than that.

Here is how it is: He is a 2nd generation American (born in American soil by immigrant parents). His dad is half-italian on his dad side, hence the Italian surname, half German on the mom side. His mom is half German on the dad side, half Russian on the mom side. Since the German side of his ancestry occurred on both parents, it's safe to say his ancestry is half German, 1/4 italian and 1/4 Russian. German being the dominant ancestry, it's more technically correct to call him a German-American, than an Italian-Amerian or Russian-American. Or better still, just call him an American, cuz that's what he identifies as.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2018
Beorn1:

But before the issue drags on unnecessarily, I agree with you that the oppositions standing in the way of Leo in 2016 were weak. I'm just saying, compared to other vintage Leo's performance, The Revenant is lagging far behind.

What does it profit a man to dominate other actors, and fails to score a single goal? And then to finally score one with half the effort? That's quite the accomplishment if you ask me.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

What are on about? There is no such thing as a "full breed american". There is so much that is wrong with that phrase that I don't even know where to begin to rectify some of it.

For one, every American (except for the native indians) immigrated from somewhere at a point in time in history, to the new world (called North America nowadays), and thus can always trace their ancestry from whence their ancestors emigrated from. No American is "full breed american". They all come from somewhere, and most often than not are a mixture of different ancestry. DiCaprio is a good example.

Remember you said he's Italian? Well, you're not wrong, but you aren't right either. He has an italian blood but it goes deeper than that.

Here is how it is: He is a 2nd generation American (born in American soil by immigrant parents). His dad is half-italian on his dad side, hence the Italian surname, half German on the mom side. His mom is half German on the dad side, half Russian on the mom side. Since the German side of his ancestry occurred on both parents, it's safe to say his ancestry is half German, 1/4 italian and 1/4 Russian. German being the dominant ancestry, it's more technically correct to call him a German-American, than an Italian-Amerian or Russian-American. Or better still, just call him an American, cuz that's what he identifies as.
my bad I meant full blood, and u are right about someone not entirely full blood but let assume is parents were unmixed race like father is american like trump and mum is Hilary we would call him full blood which is normal..from the ancestry POV, u are arguably correct
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Viking007(m): 5:18pm On Jul 28, 2018
oyetpel:

Yes
E.g Buhari? cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by esoboy875(m): 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2018
Please what website can i download SPLIT? Thanks.......
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 6:54pm On Jul 28, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

What does it profit a man to dominate other actors, and fails to score a single goal? And then to finally score one with half the effort? That's quite the accomplishment if you ask me.
The actual truth still remains that Leo won an Oscar with his weakest performance.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 28, 2018
sprints2:
my bad I meant full blood, and u are right about someone not entirely full blood but let assume is parents were unmixed race like father is american like trump and mum is Hilary we would call him full blood which is normal..from the ancestry POV, u are arguably correct

Trump is 3rd generation American with strong German ancestry. His family name used to be "Drumpf", but the dad Americanized it to Trump. His mom was from the UK, Scotland to be specific. Trump has a 3/4 German blood mixed with 1/4 of Scottish blood. Trump is a not a "full blooded american" whatever that means. The real indigenous Americans are the native tribes like the Apache, Sioux, Cherokee, etc. The white men forcefully took away their lands from them, and named the stolen lands USA and Canada respectively.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Viking007(m): 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2018
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri: 5.5/10.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2018
toluxe0075:

The actual truth still remains that Leo won an Oscar with his weakest performance.

Exactly. Minimum effort, great reward. The 20/80 rule. I bet DiCaprio read Sun Tzu's Art of War before doing the film.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 9:49pm On Jul 28, 2018
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. 7.5/10.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Aspiregreat: 10:43pm On Jul 28, 2018
Traffic - finally watched this heart touching movie bordering on Human trafficking and it's vices in our society. such a great movie! nonetheless, my rating should be around. 1/10.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Delenewsonline: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2018
Power season 5 episode 5 – Happy Birthday

The St. Patricks celebrate Tariq’s birthday without Raina; Ghost is on the outs with Tate and learns Dre is ready to replace him in the legitimate world.

https://delenewsonline.com/tv-series/download-power-season-5-episode-5-happy-birthday/
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 11:40pm On Jul 28, 2018
Aspiregreat:
Traffic - finally watched this heart touching movie bordering on Human trafficking and it's vices in our society. such a great movie! nonetheless, my rating should be around. 1/10.

After all the much grammar, you dropped the shocking bombshell. grin grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 12:29am On Jul 29, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Trump is 3rd generation American with strong German ancestry. His family name used to be "Drumpf", but the dad Americanized it to Trump. His mom was from the UK, Scotland to be specific. Trump has a 3/4 German blood mixed with 1/4 of Scottish blood. Trump is a not a "full blooded american" whatever that means. The real indigenous Americans are the native tribes like the Apache, Sioux, Cherokee, etc. The white men forcefully took their lands from them, and named the stolen lands USA and Canada respectively.
u are right but on papers he is full american Obama isn't.... they still see DiCaprio the way they see Obama...american but.....
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sprints2: 12:31am On Jul 29, 2018
Aspiregreat:
brother why ?? saw a lot of dead actors in the movie though like Omar epps for example...at least the movie kept people in touch some actors are still alive
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Galapagous(m): 1:27am On Jul 29, 2018
Ishilove:
Shutter Island- 9/10

Neo-noir, psychological thriller with a capital T. I have just been thoroughly mindfvcked. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Phew!! shocked

KoiceReloaded, can you recommend anymore??

how did it end?

(1) (2) (3) ... (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) ... (3873) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.