Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,162 members, 7,963,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 07:40 PM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48938 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 11:52am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

I Bet Torres is better than Balotelli just because Spain won Euro 2012

Or Fernandinho is better than Xavi because Brazil won the confederation cup
lol
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by dubienatti(m): 11:54am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

I Bet Torres is better than Balotelli just because Spain won Euro 2012

Or Fernandinho is better than Xavi because Brazil won the confederation cup
i believe u ar as good as ur last result. torres is better than balotelli. n i know u stil believe torres is a flop at chelsea.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 11:57am On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: What did you just say? How many of Nigeria's goals did he have a hand in? Honestly, if we had a better player for his position at Afcon, he'd have warmed the bench well. Remember Ethiopia match, Moses single handedly did the magic. Against Burkinafaso, Mba. Etc. Mikel is grossly overrated.
Huh ??.
Did u watch afcon ??
Though i think moses/emenike were as important as mikel,but for u to ask dat bolded question shows u can neva see anything good in mikel.
You turn blind eye to his contribution at afcon.
Look for d assist charts of afcon and check who had d highest assists.
I'll start explaining the goals mikel had a hand in one-by-one.
Nigeria 1-1 B.F.
Who supplied the long pass 4rm deep in midfield to ideye that led to emenike's goal ??.

Nigeria 1-1 Zambia.
Who supplied d pass(assist) for emenike to score ??.

Nigeria 2-1 ivory-coast
From a free-kick who layed d ball for emenike to shoot 4 d 1st goal ??.

Nigeria 4-1 Mali

Who layed d ball for emenike 2 shoot for d 3rd goal ??

Who supplied d defence-splitting pass for Musa to score d 4th goal ??.

Go and watch d matches again.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 11:57am On Jan 03, 2014
dubienatti: i believe u ar as good as ur last result. torres is better than balotelli. n i know u stil believe torres is a flop at chelsea.

If your dreaming you better wake up and apologise grin grin
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 11:57am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: what bloody duty? Where was KP Boateng when Ghana needed him? My dear, if Mikel decides to not play for Nigeria tomorrow, he won't lose anything. Nobody has a duty to do squat! They do it because they want to do it, because of the recognition that comes with it, duty ke? What a joke! No be una been dey insult Mikel those days when e dey make excuses to not play? So tey Tu face go do song for am, yet you say he doesn't add anything to the team. Now that he's playing his heart out, una still dey insult am, will you ever be satisfied?
Are you saying players want to play at the world cup in Brazil because they want to win world best player? Look, the joy of wanting to have your name as one player that was at the tournament is enough. As usual, you dont know what you are saying at all. Safarigirl, you know absolutely nothing. From relationshp matters to sports, i score you zero my dear.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Petersonchikas(m): 11:59am On Jan 03, 2014
Go and die
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by yetunsbay(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2014
giles14: my view?na wetin igbo's do una.at d mention of an igbo name every mostly yoruba's will be scared
injecting tribals into d veins of dis deliberatn is d worst.See misplaced prioprity & for ur mind hw sure are u @op is even yoruba?pls nxt tym try and be tribalistic at d appropriate sectn(politics preferably) and with all ur awkward ranting Mikel doesnt even knw whether u exist.....#in other word team-mikel
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni: Most
newly appointed Coaches(aside avb) start by benching mikel,but later on they place him back in d 1st XI.
Benitez did same last season when he was newly appointed,but after some matches mikel regained his spot.
Mikel has started 7 matches in chelsea's last 10 matches in all competitons.In total
He has started over 15 matches this season in all competitions.
He has started more games than he has been benched.
If people say mikel is a bench-warmer,then all chelsea players aside cech and some defenders are bench warmers.
Chelsea doesnt have a 1st XI.
The squad is been partially rotated in every match.
Even hazard,oscar,mata,torres have had their own spells on d chelsea bench.
Mikel "seriously" warmed d bench last season by starting 32 matches for chelsea ??.
U dey watch football ??
I should be asking you if you watch football bro. Mikel and Moses didnt even play in the Uefa cup final. They were benched. I remember Benitez converting Luiz to 4 because mikel was wack! Please get your facts right. Forget rotation jor, Morinho is the reason mikel's starting. Many people now know Morinho to be a player helper. Even Drogba confessed in his book how Morinho would encourage him to tackle other players roughly just to get a red so he could be with his family. Morinho is simply helping mikel for Afcon simple. Believe it or not. Remember, this is the same guy that contemplated selling mikel o.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: I should be asking you if you watch football bro. Mikel and Moses didnt even play in the Uefa cup final. They were benched. I remember Benitez converting Luiz to 4 because mikel was wack! Please get your facts right. Forget rotation jor, Morinho is the reason mikel's starting. Many people now know Morinho to be a player helper. Even Drogba confessed in his book how Morinho would encourage him to tackle other players roughly just to get a red so he could be with his family. Morinho is simply helping mikel for Afcon simple. Believe it or not. Remember, this is the same guy that contemplated selling mikel o.
Moses didn't play in the finals,I though he gave Torres an assist by heading down a ball from set pieces.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: Moses didn't play in the finals,I though he gave Torres an assist by heading down a ball from set pieces.

Torres got a through ball from the midfield out muscled the Brazilian defender in a sprint, went round the keeper and scored that's what I could remember about Torres goal

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by dubienatti(m): 12:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

If your dreaming you better wake up and apologise grin grin
no sir am not dreaming, football is more than enta10ment.it all about winning trophies n makin money with out these we wont even b talking.very soon u will tell me balloteli is better than mikel.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 12:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: I should be asking you if you watch football bro. Mikel and Moses didnt even play in the Uefa cup final. They were benched. I remember Benitez converting Luiz to 4 because mikel was wack! Please get your facts right. Forget rotation jor, Morinho is the reason mikel's starting. Many people now know Morinho to be a player helper. Even Drogba confessed in his book how Morinho would encourage him to tackle other players roughly just to get a red so he could be with his family. Morinho is simply helping mikel for Afcon simple. Believe it or not. Remember, this is the same guy that contemplated selling mikel o.
Mikel was already ruled out due to injury before the final.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni:
Huh ??.
Did u watch afcon ??
Though i think moses/emenike were as important as mikel,but for u to ask dat bolded question shows u can neva see anything good in mikel.
You turn blind eye to his contribution at afcon.
Look for d assist charts of afcon and check who had d highest assists.
I'll start explaining the goals mikel had a hand in one-by-one.
Nigeria 1-1 B.F.
Who supplied the long pass 4rm deep in midfield to ideye that led to emenike's goal ??.

Nigeria 1-1 Zambia.
Who supplied d pass(assist) for emenike to score ??.

Nigeria 2-1 ivory-coast
From a free-kick who layed d ball for emenike to shoot 4 d 1st goal ??.

Nigeria 4-1 Mali

Who layed d ball for emenike 2 shoot for d 3rd goal ??

Who supplied d defence-splitting pass for Musa to score d 4th goal ??.

Go and watch d matches again.
Tah! Say all you want. But mikel's pass to Ideye doesnt count as assist. So remove it fast! If you're using pass for your arguement, then we should mention people like Moses or onazi before mikel. Oh, mikel had highest assist in afcon? Wow. You must be kidding me. I cant wait for Kelechi Iheanacho to take mikel's place for good. Okocha won matches for us. Scored freekick goals, gave numerous assists and so on but no afcon best. Yet mikel who is always silent in big matches is being considered. Btw, against CIV, we would have lost the match if not for Onazi o. Am sure you watched the match.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Cannavarro wasnt the main man and Captain of the Azzuri team at the world cup, it was Alessandro Nesta who got injured and Cannavaro stepped up for a team that was battered due to the defensive set up Lippi made that's why Cannavaro stood out most especially against the host in the Semi's and in the Serie A Juve won it....

Did Mikel stand out as the main man for Nigeria at the Nations Cup? may be one game when he made 2 telling passes! but not like he is the main man.
Last season in the league Did Mikel stand out for Chelsea? No, I could remember Mikel getting death treats on twitter for making some high profile mistakes that led to goals, if you ask all the SKYSPORT/BBC SPORT pundits honestly no one rates him higher than average. some will say yeah oyinbo this and that, then ask them about Yaya Toure?

And by what criterias is the APOY award dished out?

Contribution to African football development and achievements or gaining game time and sheer praises from airhead pundits?

In 2009, Park Ji sung was crowned the Asian best player of the year, having missed almost a whole season for United but did enjoy the league and UCL successes with the Manchester outfit.

If the award was to be given based on game time and performance only, i'm very sure i'd be winning it then cos i've featured in all my team's games this season and have putted up good performances but yet to pin down a laurel already.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by adegwurulez(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
Like seriously, i think W.H.O should send a special package of chill pills to nigeria.
Just five months to the world cup, other countries are busy encouraging thier players and here we are, badmouthing our own. I used to think the problem with the super eagles was the players or the coaches or nff but i got to know that the real problem lies with the fans. And to think the same group of people would be the ones running to the airport to welcome our players when they win laurels is really appalling.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by haffaze: 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
sicily4u: Yaya deserve it 100%

give it to him nah
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Funpeter: 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
Why the ranting now? Who knows the criteria which FIFA and CAF use? Since nobody knows or cn vividly point it out then we should jst sit down and look ad for me the only person CAF will gv the Award to and i will see it as an injustice is LIONNEl MESSI anybody else is good to go.

Btw is not as if mike is a bench warmer at cheshit he still plays a vital role and is an integral part of the team, even thou i don't like him d guy has paid his due not like one number 10 wey go dribble then waste ball come dey spit one yeye spit and dey expect Africa bets player.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: Moses didn't play in the finals,I though he gave Torres an assist by heading down a ball from set pieces.
Perhaps you're talking about Moses of the old testament. After leading Isrealites through the red sea, he shows up in the match and nodded the ball to Torres to score. Hahaha... The Moses of Nigeria didnt start. Neither did mikel play.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
Moses and mikel didnt play.
THEY WERE NOT FIT !!!.
I've posted that uncountable times.
I posted his injury history some pages back.He returned 4rm hip injury few days b4 d EL finals.
Talkin about luiz,He played in midfield a total 7 times last season.
Out of those 7 times he combined with mikel twice.
3 times he played in midfield when mikel was injured.He was chosen over mikel only TWICE.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: Mikel was already ruled out due to injury before the final.
thats mere propaganda. It was a news well served to compensated die-hard mikel fans like you. Injury ko injury ni.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 12:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: Tah! Say all you want. But mikel's pass to Ideye doesnt count as assist. So remove it fast! If you're using pass for your arguement, then we should mention people like Moses or onazi before mikel. Oh, mikel had highest assist in afcon? Wow. You must be kidding me. I cant wait for Kelechi Iheanacho to take mikel's place for good. Okocha won matches for us. Scored freekick goals, gave numerous assists and so on but no afcon best. Yet mikel who is always silent in big matches is being considered. Btw, against CIV, we would have lost the match if not for Onazi o. Am sure you watched the match.
You are right,Mikel contributed immensely against CIV,Yaya was in the box 18 with the ball and was about to score before Mikel tackled him from behind,where was Onazi then?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: Are you saying players want to play at the world cup in Brazil because they want to win world best player? Look, the joy of wanting to have your name as one player that was at the tournament is enough. As usual, you dont know what you are saying at all. Safarigirl, you know absolutely nothing. From relationshp matters to sports, i score you zero my dear.
You're either blind or suffering from selective amnesia. I said they play for RECOGNITION, not to win awards, the awards are the extra boost. How can you say anyone is playing as a duty? Duty how? What has Nigeria done for Mikel that he has a 'duty' to play? If anything, he ought to never play for us after you ungrateful lot kidnapped his father. That's the cr@ppiest comment you've ever made, and that's a record considering you're an encyclopedia of cr@p. You know nothing either, in fact, it's giving me a headache arguing with a blockhead like you.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: Tah! Say all you want. But mikel's pass to Ideye doesnt count as assist. So remove it fast! If you're using pass for your arguement, then we should mention people like Moses or onazi before mikel. Oh, mikel had highest assist in afcon? Wow. You must be kidding me. I cant wait for Kelechi Iheanacho to take mikel's place for good. Okocha won matches for us. Scored freekick goals, gave numerous assists and so on but no afcon best. Yet mikel who is always silent in big matches is being considered. Btw, against CIV, we would have lost the match if not for Onazi o. Am sure you watched the match.
You asked how many goals did mikel contribute in
That pass 4rm nowhere to ideye still counts as a contribution to emenike's goal.
Ok take away dat one,the remaining 4 counted as assists.
He had 4 assists.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 12:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: thats mere propaganda. It was a news well served to compensated die-hard mikel fans like you. Injury ko injury ni.
na u sabi
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by davidadenrele: 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Hello,

Permit me to say that your write-up is inconsequential marred with ignorance and lack well informed about football basically and i could sense that you have personal vendetta against the person of Mikel Obi, i will agree with you when you said we should put aside sentiment, prejudice, and overeating but you tipped Victor Enyenma, Yaya Tuoare for the prestigious CAF football awards, if i may ask you in all fairness i think your conclusions about Mikel is way offline and your jabs and point are below the belt, there certain aspects of Mikel obi pattern style of football in Chelsea role i may not really like as person but nevertheless he has proven us all that he's someone willing to learn,willing to adapt to changes as well assists is team mates when need be, but based on your view of his previous performance in CAF AFRICAN NATIONS CUP CONFEDERATIONS CUP, EUROUPA CUP i dont think you know what you are saying,based on historically antecedents and the pedigree of other previous African players in the past who have won the prestigious award there is no other player that is befitting to be given the award to more than Mikel Obi at this present time",underline and emphasized.

That's not to say Yaya Touare or Victor Enyenma is not a better candidate for the award, if i may remind you was Yaya Touare not in the line up when we beat them at them at the semi final of the African Nation Cup even i quote" even Almighty Didier Drogaba confess to entire media and sport pundits that it takes the effort of Mikel Obi and Victor Moses and the entire team for us to beat them.

May i us remind you that those shortlist candidate are not only judge by their present performance both in national call ups and club both also on their individual contribution of ability to carry the their team, their resilience die spirit even in the face of defeats.

If you claimed you a true African and a true Nigeria and a lover of the round thing call football i expect you to sit down and rewind your DVD player, go through football websites, football archives of all the matches played so far by Nigeria and Chelsea and look at the performance of Mikel Obi you will indeed come to a level of reasons that the deserve he surely the prestigious CAF Player of the Year Award if not for is contribution but for is selfless sacrifice.

I stand to gain nothing in giving Mike Obi this praise,and accolades both honour must be given to whom honour is due, if it were to be any other player aside Mikel who has put in their very best i guess it would be also good idea to credit them for their effort as an African player.

Does who claimed to know more better about football who always sits down and analyze football not with mixed emotions of hatred of player but with facts, analysis,roles and factors.

Hear yourself "Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African".

You definitely agree with me that your comment is not only biased, its personified it's totally out control from someone who claimed to be a lover of football a Nigerian an a Proud African.

heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: You are right,Mikel contributed immensely against CIV,Yaya was in the box 18 with the ball and was about to score before Mikel tackled him from behind,where was Onazi then?
Nice. I remember that one.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 12:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: Nice. I remember that one.
Thanks,I'm glad u remember,everyone thought its a sure goal,a times small display like that shouldn't be overlooked,I equally remember him tackled a Zambian defender,collected the ball neatly and setting up Emenike who dribbled a defender and played a well placed shot.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 12:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: thats mere propaganda. It was a news well served to compensated die-hard mikel fans like you. Injury ko injury ni.
Hahahaha.

You dey talk like mumu.
A club would fake it's player's injury just to compensate his fans ??
You bi confirm mumu.
A 5yr old kid wouldnt say that.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni:
Moses and mikel didnt play.
THEY WERE NOT FIT !!!.
I've posted that uncountable times.
I posted his injury history some pages back.He returned 4rm hip injury few days b4 d EL finals.
Talkin about luiz,He played in midfield a total 7 times last season.
Out of those 7 times he combined with mikel twice.
3 times he played in midfield when mikel was injured.He was chosen over mikel only TWICE.
Interesting facts. Also interesting is the perspective you view the Luiz midfield issue. As for me, i saw a frustrated Benitez who was tired of leaving the front of the chelsea defence in the hands of a largely unreliable mikel. Apart for a few loss of concentration, Luiz became an instant hit in that position and everyone heeved a sigh of relief.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni:
Hahahaha.

You dey talk like mumu.
A club would fake it's player's injury just to compensate his fans ??
You bi confirm mumu.
A 5yr old kid wouldnt say that.
*sigh* these children and their insult sha. When will they learn to grow up? Believe what you want to believe boy. Its your choice.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Dynast(m): 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
Who is best defensive midfielder in Chelsea fc? Mind u this is African footballer of the year and not BBC footballer of the year. Okocha won BBC footballer of the year 3 times but never won CAF footballer of the year.What substantial measurement have you to equate Yaya Toure and Mike. Mikel has 2 laurels. Voted man of the match in one of the CAF nations cup, has golden medal of CAF Nations CHAPIONSHIP and Europa cup winner. What will you equate Yaha with, playing very well like Ibrahimovich against C. Ronaldo who snatched world cup ticket from him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

Paul Pogba Meets Imam Of Medina Mosque Huzaif / Flamengo Vs Liverpool: FIFA Club World Cup Final (0 - 1) On 21st December 2019 / Asisat Oshoala's Outfit To GloCAF Awards 2016 (pics)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.