Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,688 members, 7,948,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 02:32 AM

Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship - Religion (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship (117759 Views)

Nairaland Christian Singles Thread (no Holds Barred) / I Will Be A Nairaland Christian For The Next 36hours / Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship (Season 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (115) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by topkin(m): 10:29pm On Jan 01, 2009
I bless God for the testimonies i've read on this thread. More lips will testify to God's goodness in 2009, in Jesus name. Amen.

I wish you all a GLORIOUS & HAPPY NEW YEAR. God bless you all
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:27am On Jan 02, 2009
January 2, 2009

The Heavens Are the Lord's

"Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD." (Jeremiah 31:37)

There are some things God has reserved for Himself, at least in this present age. One of these is the domain of the stars. Cosmogonic speculations and wistful searches for extraterrestrial life are basically nothing but expressions of man’s rebellion against his Creator, seeking to explain the origin and meaning of the universe without God.

God placed man in dominion over this earth (Genesis 1:26-29), telling him to "subdue it," so science and technology are well within the divine mandate when applied to systems on the earth, or related to it, including even the use of stars for chronology and navigation (Genesis 1:14-19). But we have no jurisdiction over the heavens. "The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’s: but the earth hath he given to the children of men" (Psalm 115:16). "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" (Psalm 8:3-4). "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, . . . hath made of one blood all the nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation" (Acts 17:24-26).

The study of astronomy is appropriate, of course, if dedicated to revealing the majesty of God’s creative handiwork, for: "The heavens declare the glory of God" (Psalm 19:1). But any hope of travel to distant stars, or of finding extraterrestrial life, or of devising a naturalistic evolutionary cosmogony, is blasphemously arrogant, as well as utterly foolish. HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/heavens-are-lords/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Jan 03, 2009
January 3, 2009

Redeeming the Time

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16)

This incisive expression--"redeeming the time"--[/i]occurs also in Colossians 4:5: [i]"Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time." The Greek word for "redeem" means to "buy back," to "ransom," or even to "rescue." That is, time is a very valuable asset, in danger of being lost forever unless it is rescued, or redeemed.

As a matter of fact, time is just about the most valuable asset we have. If we squander our money or lose our health, there is always the possibility of earning more money or being restored to health, but wasted time is gone forever. In our text, those who are wise redeem the time, whereas those who are fools waste or misuse it. The word in the original for "circumspectly" is translated "diligently" in Matthew 2:7. The text thus indicates that those who redeem the time are walking diligently; the parallel passage in Colossians 4:5 says they are walking in wisdom. The time God gives us, therefore, should be used both carefully and diligently.

The marvelous passage in the 139th Psalm which describes the growth of the human embryo concludes with a remarkable declaration: "In thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them" (Psalm 139:16). The words "my members" are not in the original, and "in continuance" is actually the Hebrew word for "days." Thus, the verse is really telling us that all of our days were written in God’s book even before we were conceived. Each day of our lives is vitally important in the plan of God.

"So," as Moses prayed to the Lord, "teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalm 90:12). HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/redeeming-time/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2009
January 4, 2009

Waxing Old

"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished." (Isaiah 51:6)

This verse is typical of many Scriptures which contrast this present decaying, dying order of things (characterizing a world under God's curse) with the things which are not dying and which will survive into the new order when the curse is removed (Revelation 22:3). Even the present "heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away," Jesus said (Matthew 24:35). God, the Creator, who imposed the curse because of man's sin, is not Himself subject to it. "They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: . . . as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end" (Psalm 102:26-27).

As the text for the day assures us, God's salvation and righteousness shall never be changed, even when earth and heaven flee away. The same contrasts exist in the biological realm. "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever" (Isaiah 40:8 ).

Human nature exhibits a similar phenomenon. "Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; . . . they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint" (Isaiah 40:30-31).

This principle, in fact, applies to the entire creation. "Because the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption |literally 'decay'| into the glorious liberty of the children of God" (Romans 8:21). HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/waxing-old/

Click on the link above for the full commentary on today's devotional and feel free to contribute your own commentary or lessons that you have learnt from the text above.
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by chei: 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2009
very funny thread. angry angry
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by na2day2(m): 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2009
what is so funny about the thread?

chei:

very funny thread. angry angry
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:25pm On Jan 05, 2009
January 5, 2009

Confession And Forgiveness

"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." (Proverbs 28:13)

Every person, even the most godly Christian believer, at least occasionally commits acts of sin--sins of omission, if not sins of commission. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8 ).

When a Christian does sin, the remedy is available. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).  This forgiveness is based on the fact that "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).

The problem is that the very compulsion that caused the believer to commit the sin in the first place will often lead him to try to justify the sin.  If that is not possible, he will try to hide it, or even to deny it.

The antidote for this situation, of course, is to confess and forsake his sin(s).  This confession, however, cannot be simply a generalized confession ("please forgive all my sins"wink, but a specific "naming" of the particular sins, acknowledging that it was, indeed, a sin in the sight of God, deserving of divine punishment and repudiation by a Holy God.  Similarly, the term "forsaketh" does not mean simply to quit engaging in the particular sin, but to quit even thinking about it--no longer either desiring the sin or being depressed under the guilt of it.  If possible and applicable, this would also entail making restitution to anyone who had been injured by that sin; otherwise, the confession need be made only to God.

And God will forgive and cleanse.  Then, "forgetting those things which are behind," we can "press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14).  "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven" (Psalm 32:1).  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/confession-forgiveness/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:59am On Jan 06, 2009
January 6, 2009

Judging Others

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."
(Matthew 7:1)

This is a very familiar maxim, often cited by unbelievers and carnal Christians as a rebuke to Christians whom they regard as intolerant.  These words of the Lord Jesus Christ do, indeed, warn us against a self-righteous attitude, condemning others who disagree with us on the basis of superficial criteria.

On the other hand, this caution by no means relieves us of the responsibility of evaluating the beliefs and practices of others in the light of Scripture.  In the very same sermon, in fact, Jesus said just a few moments later: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine"; and, "beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing" (Matthew 7:6-15).  Obedience to such commandments obviously requires one to make a judgment as to whether certain unbelievers should be regarded as "dogs" or "swine," to whom it would be counterproductive to try to speak of spiritual matters; or whether certain professing Christian leaders are actually false prophets who should be repudiated.  Jesus also said: "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24).

Since the Scriptures themselves are to be used in the final judgment (John 12:48; Revelation 20:12; etc.), it is obvious that we should use them right now to discern truth and error, right and wrong. "For the word of God . . . is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

There is another basis of judgment that the Lord Jesus has authorized us to use. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. . . . Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:18-20).  Thus, the test of Scripture plus fruit produced, can serve as the basis of a valid judgment.  Until adequate data for making such a test are available, judge not! HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/judging-others/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by Analytical(m): 2:02pm On Jan 06, 2009
Happy New Year to you all in the name of the Lord. I welcome everyone into this year. It promises to be a year of grace and uncommon favour.

Whatever your unfulfilled wishes, dreams and aspirations were in 2008, it is time to gird up yourselves and proceed into this brand new year with renewed expectations of the faithfulness of God in your endeavours. God has not changed His mind, so you shouldn't! He is still God.

He told Joshua (Joshua 1 vs 1-9) when he won't quit mourning after the death of Moses to get up and come to the realisation that no matter how much he mourned for Moses, the truth was that Moses was dead. D-E-A-D!! G-O-N-E!!! Hear what the Lord said to Joshua and what He is still saying to you:

Joshua 1:
2 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.

3 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.

Folks, I have a word for you, 2008 is dead and buried. Gone forever. Get up, friend. Arise. Put your acts together. A new opportunity is here to right the wrongs, correct the mistakes, learn from the errors, build on the successes and push forward. I pray the Lord guide you in 2009. I pray He will show you a fresh dimension of relationship with Him. I pray He will become more real to you and show Himself faithful unto you in this 2009.

Congrats, for it's a new beginning. Welcome to a new YOU!
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by FifiO(f): 7:08pm On Jan 06, 2009
Hey, my people!
Happy new year to ya all, keep walking in His light.

Blessings!
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by Image123(m): 10:32pm On Jan 06, 2009
@Analytical
Amen and Amen.Happy New Year to you also and everyone else.Thank you
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by na2day2(m): 12:15am On Jan 07, 2009
thanks brother, that is a blessed piece u just gave us smiley smiley smiley smiley

Analytical:

Happy New Year to you all in the name of the Lord. I welcome everyone into this year. It promises to be a year of grace and uncommon favour.

Whatever your unfulfilled wishes, dreams and aspirations were in 2008, it is time to gird up yourselves and proceed into this brand new year with renewed expectations of the faithfulness of God in your endeavours. God has not changed His mind, so you shouldn't! He is still God.

He told Joshua (Joshua 1 vs 1-9) when he won't quit mourning after the death of Moses to get up and come to the realisation that no matter how much he mourned for Moses, the truth was that Moses was dead. D-E-A-D!! G-O-N-E!!! Hear what the Lord said to Joshua and what He is still saying to you:

Joshua 1:
2 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.

3 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.

Folks, I have a word for you, 2008 is dead and buried. Gone forever. Get up, friend. Arise. Put your acts together. A new opportunity is here to right the wrongs, correct the mistakes, learn from the errors, build on the successes and push forward. I pray the Lord guide you in 2009. I pray He will show you a fresh dimension of relationship with Him. I pray He will become more real to you and show Himself faithful unto you in this 2009.

Congrats, for it's a new beginning. Welcome to a new YOU!
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:01am On Jan 07, 2009
LIVING AND LABOURING FOR GOD’S GLORY

Matthew 5:16; Romans 15:5,6; 1 Corinthians 6:19,20.

Christ, in His message on the Mount, reveals the Father and His grace to us.  He sees us as part of His own people who are not in the kingdom by accident.  Because known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world” (Acts 15:18).  He knows the individual Christian and what He has called Him to do.  He has called us, Christians, to preach the gospel message to the whole world.  Christ reveals that wherever we are today, we are there to fulfill His purpose of beaming the gospel light to the world in which we live.

We are favoured and privileged to receive manifold revelations from Christ.  This is because He did not always open His mouth to speak when men desire Him to do so (Luke 23:8, 9).  The revelations and experiences we receive from Christ’s teachings (Matthew 5:1-15) bring on us a responsibility. And to every Christian Christ says, Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”  “So” in this scripture denotes that we, Christians, must allow our light to shine to a very high degree, a great extent, an extra-ordinary level and with a higher quality of brightness.  Extra-ordinary quality of virtue or superlative emphasis on a thing is also expressed in other scripture references (John 3:16; Matthew 6:30-32; 8: 10; Acts 14:1;19:20; Philippians 4:1; Hebrews 1:4; 2:3).  The floodlight of believers’ life then, must have a supernatural path and effect on the people.  The light that shines from us must be with inexhaustible oil of grace, love and of the Holy Spirit.

You can watch and download the full message on the link below

http://www.dclm.org/Resources/ResourcesDirectory/tabid/130/Default.aspx
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:36am On Jan 07, 2009
January 7, 2009

Christ Will Come Again

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." (John 14:2-3)

The world has not seen the last of Jesus Christ! He was in the world once, but the world would not have Him, even though He had created it (John 1:10).  While He was on earth, He made it clear that He would be returning some day to judge the world.

But here in the upper room, just before His arrest and crucifixion, He told His disciples, for the very first time, that He would be coming for them personally, not to judge them with the world, but to "receive you unto myself."  In the first epistle written by the apostle Paul, this wonderful promise was repeated and amplified: "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven. . . . and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).

When He comes again, we shall be where He is, forever! In the meantime, the "dead in Christ" are already with Him.  At that time, "we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. . . . For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" (1 Corinthians 15:51-53).

During this present time, He is preparing a place for us in the New Jerusalem which, like Christ Himself, will be "coming down from God out of heaven" (Revelation 21:2).  All of this is exactly what we might expect from such a gracious and loving Savior, and He assures us that "if it were not so, I would have told you." HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/christ-will-come-again/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2009
Bible Knowledge Test

The following statements about the Bible were written by children and have not been retouched or corrected (i.e., bad spelling has been left in).

[list]
[li]1. In the first book of the Bible, Guinessis, God got tired of creating the world, so he took the Sabbath off.

2. Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree.

3. Noah’s wife was called Joan of Ark.

4. Noah built an ark, which the animals come on to in pears.

5. Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt by day, but a ball of fire by night.

6. Samson was a strongman who let himself be led astray by a Jezebel like Delilah.

7. Samson slayed the Philistines with the axe of the Apostles.

8. Moses led the Hebrews to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread which is bread without any ingredients.

9. The Egyptians were all drowned in the dessert. Afterwards, Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten ammendments.

10. The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple.

11. The seventh commandment is thou shalt not admit adultery.

12. Moses died before he ever reached Canada.

13. Then Joshua led the Hebrews in the battle of Geritol.

14. The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

15. David was a Hebrew king skilled at playing the liar.

16. He fought with the Finklesteins, a race of people who lived in Biblical times.

17. Solomon, one of David’s sons, had 300 wives and 700 porcupines.

18. When Mary heard that she was the mother of Jesus, she sang the Magna Carta.

19. When the three wise guys from the east side arrived, they found Jesus in the manager.

20. Jesus was born because Mary had an immaculate contraption.

21. St. John, the blacksmith, dumped water on his head.

22. Jesus enunciated the Golden Rule, which says to do one to others before they do one to you.

23. He also explained, “a man doth not live by sweat alone.

24. “It was a miracle when Jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.

25. The people who followed the Lord were called the 12 decibels.

26. The epistles were the wives of the apostles.

27. One of the opossums was St. Matthew who was also a taximan.

28. St. Paul cavorted to Christianity. He preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marriage.

29. A Christian should have only one spouse. This is called monotony.[/li]
[/list]
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by daruche(m): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2009
Wishing you a resounding success in 2009.

Year 2009 Prophesy from Pastor E.A Adeboye, General Overseer, RCCG.

First category: Universal

This will be the year of joy to the wise
As stars at midnight, the economic gloom that is coming upon the world will produce some very bright spot .( it means that; in spite of the economic problem that the world is going to have this year, some children of God is going to have financial breakthrough)
Every year has its up and down, 2009 will be no exception in that regard. However for the children of God the ups will out way the down in magnitude and frequency. In other words the great day for the children of God will be greater than the gloom day.
Concentrated prayers are needed to reduce the frequency and intensity of natural disaster. Flood, hurricane, earthquake, tornadoes are coming, but God say if you pray concentrated prayers their frequency and intensity will be reduce.
Pray against assassination attempt against world leaders.
Second category: For Nigeria

Intensify your prayers for the president
Nigeria will be given a new opportunity for peace and tranquility, pray that it will not be wasted.
Those who have made money their gods will discover it has strong wings.
Problems will drive many back to God; with the end result of heavenly joy.
Pray against suicide among the high and mighty.
The summary of these prophesies is: JOY TO THE WISE.
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:05am On Jan 08, 2009
January 8, 2009

The Everlasting Mercy Of God

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." (Psalm 136:1)

God’s mercy is a monumental theme in Scripture.  The English word appears some 341 times in the Bible. The four Hebrew and three Greek words appear a total of 454 times and are also translated by "kindness," "lovingkindness," "goodness," "favor," "compassion," and "pity." Of the 66 books of the Bible, only 16 do not use one of the words for mercy. Even though "mercy" is an important concept, it is somewhat difficult to prescribe a definition for it, especially since "grace" is occasionally coupled with it.

In the first reference where "mercy" is used, Lot has just been expelled from Sodom by the angels of judgment. In spite of the command by the angels that Lot and his daughters "escape to the mountain," Lot begs; "Oh, not so, my LORD: Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life, . . . this city is near . . . Oh, let me escape thither" (Genesis 19:17-20). And later, the New Testament saints are told to "come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16). In these and other such passages, the two terms appear to address similar subjects.

However similar they may appear to be, these words are not synonyms. "Grace" is most often associated with the sovereign dispensation of totally undeserved favor, and it is specifically connected to salvation. "Mercy" is more often connected to the withholding of judgment: "For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment" (James 2:13).

Set aside some time today to read and meditate on this Psalm. You will find the day less wearisome if you do. HMM III

http://www.icr.org/article/everlasting-mercy-god/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by Image123(m): 12:23am On Jan 09, 2009
For the Lord is good,and His love endures forever. He's a faithful God,to all generations.His mercies do not fail us,they are new each day. O lift your voice and say the Lord is good.
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:31am On Jan 09, 2009
January 9, 2009

Sitting at the Right Hand of God

"The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." (Psalm 110:1)

The 110th Psalm is one of the most significant of the so-called Messianic Psalms, prophesying of Christ a thousand years before He came.  Its very first verse should completely settle the question as to whether or not the Old Testament teaches that there is only one person in the Godhead, since it recounts an actual conversation between at least two Persons of the Godhead.  This first verse is quoted, in whole or in part, at least five times in the New Testament and was even used by Christ Himself (Matthew 22:41-46) to prove His own deity.

Two of the Hebrew names for God are used in this verse: "Jehovah said unto Adonai. . . ."  The name Jehovah is used again in Psalm 110:2-4, and Adonai in verse 5. God, in the person of Adonai, has gone to earth on a divine mission to save His people, but has been repudiated by His enemies on earth.  Accordingly, God, in the person of Jehovah, invites Him back to heaven for a time, where He will be at His right hand until it is time for Him to return to earth to rule, striking through all opposing "kings in the day of his wrath" (v. 5).

In this coming "day of thy power" (v. 3), "thy people shall be willing."  The word here is actually the word for "free will offerings." They will be as priests offering their own lives to Him as freewill offerings when they finally recognize Him as their Messiah/King and eternal High Priest (v. 4).

Now, although this prophecy applies specifically to the Second Coming and the future conversion of Israel, there is a beautiful secondary application used in Scripture for His people right now.  "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Romans 12:1).  "Seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1).  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/sitting-at-right-hand-god/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Jan 10, 2009
January 10, 2009

Two Imperatives

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." (John 3:7)

The term "born again" has come into such common use in recent years, even in political campaigns, that its tremendous meaning has been all but lost.  But Jesus--who ought to know, being none other than God incarnate--said "Ye must be born again!" Furthermore, He said it to Nicodemus, one of the most religiously knowledgeable people of that day.

He did not say to Nicodemus that "they must be born again," meaning the unbelieving multitudes who were not as instructed in the things of God as they should be.  Nor did he say that "we must be born again," meaning all of us mortals including Himself.  Rather, Jesus said, "Ye must be born again!"

Even a man like Nicodemus must be born spiritually--born again (literally, "born from above"wink--if he were ever to see the kingdom of God (John 3:3).  In answer to his question as to how this could be, Jesus said he must be born of the Spirit, supernaturally.  But Nicodemus--as well as each of us--was born a sinner and was still a sinner, even failing to recognize Christ as Son of man and Son of God. How could he be born again?  The answer is in a second imperative: "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:14-15).  If "ye must be born again," then "even so must the Son of man be lifted up."  Christ must die for our sins before it can ever be possible that a lost sinner can be born again.  Since Jesus Christ was lifted up on the cross to die for us, our burden of sin has also been lifted up and placed on Him.  If we would enter God's kingdom, we must be born again through faith in Him!  There is no other way!  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/two-imperatives/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22am On Jan 11, 2009
January 11, 2009

The Glory of the Lord

"So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God." (2 Chronicles 5:14)

With the coming of the Shekinah glory cloud into the great house, God showed His acceptance of Solomon's beautiful temple as His symbolic earthly dwelling place.  This had happened once before in the wilderness.  "Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle" (Exodus 40:34).

But as the glory once departed when the Ark of the Covenant was taken from the tabernacle by the Philistines (1 Samuel 4:22), so it later also departed when Solomon's temple was plundered by the Babylonians and the people carried into exile (2 Chronicles 36:17-20; Ezekiel 10:18, 11:23).

It returned for a time, however, when "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt |literally, 'tabernacled'| among us, (and we beheld his glory . . .)" at least in a spiritual sense (John 1:14).  On one occasion Christ's glory shone through even in a physical sense: "And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and . . . they saw his glory" (Luke 9:29-32) there on the Mount of the Transfiguration.

There is also a great day coming when the ascended Lord will return with His heavenly temple, "coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" (Matthew 24:30), even as "the glory of the Lord shone round about them" (Luke 2:9) at His first coming. His glory will be present forever when the heavenly tabernacle, the New Jerusalem, comes to earth (Revelation 21:3-10), "having the glory of God" (v. 11).

In this present age, the body of each believer "is the temple of the Holy Ghost," and he must "therefore glorify God in |his| body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). "For God . . . hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/glory-lord/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:39am On Jan 12, 2009
January 12, 2009

How to Take a Stand for God

"But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself."
(Daniel 1:8 )

There inevitably come those times in the life of a Christian when he, for conscience sake in the light of the Word of God, must take a stand against some worldly practice.  Daniel has given us a striking example of how to do this, not only courageously, but graciously, and effectively.

As one of "the princes" of Israel, "of the king's seed" (Daniel 1:3), he realized that he had the responsibility of maintaining a godly standard as a testimony for the true God, when he was asked "to stand in the king's palace" (Daniel 1:4) after he and his friends had been carried into captivity. Daniel knew that the king's wine would surely be harmful, were he to partake of it.  Also, the king's meat would certainly include pork and would be cooked with blood, which would be unlawful for him, as a good Jew, to eat (Leviticus 11:7-8, 17:10-14).  He determined in his heart to take a stand against it.

Note, however, his stand was not belligerent or self-righteous, but courteous and reasonable.  "He requested. . . . Prove thy servants, I beseech thee" (Daniel 1:8-12).  The Babylonians thought they were doing him and his friends a great favor, and Daniel appreciated this.  He suggested a scientific test: Let them try a vegetarian diet and water for just ten days to see if this wouldn't produce better results than the gourmet fare of the palace.

God honored Daniel's graciousness, as well as his courageous faithfulness, and so will He do for us as well.  Both are essential ingredients of a fruitful Christian testimony in a non-Christian world.  We must "be ready always to give an answer," but this should be done, not in arrogance, but "with meekness" (1 Peter 3:15).  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/how-take-stand-for-god/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by kolaoloye(m): 3:37pm On Jan 12, 2009
Thank God for this new year. You are all welcome cheesy
Brethren, on daily basis prophesy good things concerning yourself also remember to lift other people up in your prayers.
GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY AS YOU DO SO IN JESUS NAME. Shallom
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by na2day2(m): 7:31am On Jan 13, 2009
Posted by: Daily Manna Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Limits of Wishes

text: joshua 13:15-23
Key Verse:
“Balaam also the son of Beor, the soothsayer, did the children of Israel slay with the sword among them that were slain by them” (Joshua 13:22).

It was Leigh who once remarked, “I wish I knew the good of wishing.” A dream may take you somewhere for it has room for plan and purpose. But mere wish is passive and therefore takes you nowhere. The world is full of wishful thinkers, especially as it concerns life after death. Balaam was one of such. When he saw God’s people, Israel, in their true perspective, his immediate reaction was this noble wish: “Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!” (Numbers 23:10).
Tucked away in our text is the story of the sad end of Balaam. This passage is primarily concerned with the division of Canaan Land to the tribes of Israel, in particular, the portion of the tribe of Reuben. The lands were taken by Israel through conquest in line with divine mandate. In doing this, Sihon, king of the Amorites as well as the princes of Midian were slain. They had opposed Israel and would not give them passage through their land. They died for their hostility and lost their land. Balaam also got a just recompense for his wicked activities against Israel. His attempt to curse Israel was prevented by God. Thereafter, he was instrumental in Israel’s sin in Peor and the consequent destruction of many of the people (Numbers 31:16).
Balaam’s wish of ending his life’s course as a righteous man proved futile – he ended up miserably. His biography stands as a warning signpost for all, especially those who merely admire the Kingdom of God and yet do nothing to enter therein.
Mere wish does no good. If you desire to die righteous and end up in heaven, you ought to take appropriate steps. Humbly acknowledge and repent of your sins and manifest faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
He that was not far from the Kingdom but yet missed it has the most regret in eternity.
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by Image123(m): 10:14am On Jan 13, 2009
Thank you
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Jan 13, 2009
Many are "almost persuaded", they are so close to the kingdom but do not enter in. It is not sufficient to know about the kingdom but to know the King and enter into His kingdom is the crux of the matter.
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On Jan 13, 2009
January 13, 2009

The Good Pleasure of God

"Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power." (2 Thessalonians 1:11)

God's good pleasure withholds judgment!  "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22-23).  "The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.  The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works" (Psalm 145:8-9).

God's good pleasure is to do good to His people!  "The LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly" (Psalm 84:11).  "Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.  Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart" (Psalm 37:3-4).

God's good pleasure forgives us! "Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.  He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea" (Micah 7:18-19).

God's good pleasure is to bring about His will!  "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. . . . So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it" (Isaiah 55:9-11).  "The Lord . . . is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).  When we live in God's good pleasure, we are able to "delight" in Him.  HMM III

http://www.icr.org/article/good-pleasure-god/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On Jan 14, 2009
January 14, 2009

The Light Brigade

"Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son." (Colossians 1:12-13)

By His grace, we have been snatched from Satan's darkness and been placed in the kingdom of light.  However, we still live in a dark world hostile to the light.  We are therefore soldiers of light, but as with any army, we are not to act independently, but instead "as a good soldier of Jesus Christ" (2 Timothy 2:3), we must follow the orders of our commander and act in accordance with established guidelines.

The Supreme Commander in this battle of light versus darkness is none other than God the Father, for "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5).  "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?" (Psalm 27:1).

Perhaps, in this analogy, the field commander can be considered to be none other than Jesus Christ, carrying out the will of the Supreme Commander.  He said, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). "I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me" (John 6:38).

We, of course, are the infantry, the light brigade, as it were. "Ye are the light of the world" (Matthew 5:14).  "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.  Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober" (1 Thessalonians 5:5-6).

Our marching orders, our objective, and our methods are all found in the war manual, the Bible.  "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105). "For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light" (Proverbs 6:23).  What more could we ask? JDM

http://www.icr.org/article/light-brigade/
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:59pm On Jan 14, 2009
Matthew 5:6

ABUNDANT PROVISION FOR THE THIRSTY

Christ’s teaching on the Mount began when He saw in the multitudes their need of the saving revelation of God (Matthew 5:1; 9:36; Mark 6:34).  Christ was moved with compassion on the people He saw. Apparently, they lacked the strength, energy and sustaining grace to live the Kingdom life and so He taught them.  Jesus said, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”

The fourth beatitude is, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled ” (Matthew 5:6).  The judgment of God on earth and the fear of eternal judgment make the inhabitants of the world to seek and desire righteousness (Isaiah 26:9).  Jesus reveals that we, as believers, can be filled with righteousness.  And this happens when we are passionate for it.  It is possible to be full of righteousness.  It is possible to be full, to be filled with

[list]
[li](1) the fruits of righteousness (Philippians 1:11),
(2) joy (Acts 13:52),
(3) goodness and knowledge (Romans 15:14),
(4) desired physical blessings (Mark 7:27-30),
(5) wisdom and spiritual understanding (Colossians 1:9),
(6) the Holy Ghost (Acts 4:31),
(7) the fulness of God (Ephesians 3:19).[/li]
[/list]
There is no limit to the infilling and fulness of any true believer who is really thirsty for God.

You can watch and download the full message on the link below
http://www.dclm.org/Resources/ResourcesDirectory/tabid/130/Default.aspx
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by Gamine(f): 12:39am On Jan 15, 2009
Happy Nu Year!!!

grin
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by na2day2(m): 1:04am On Jan 15, 2009
sweet heart, where have u been? angry angry angry

Gamine:

Happy Nu Year!!!

grin
Re: Nairaland Christian E-Fellowship by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54am On Jan 15, 2009
January 15, 2009

The Promise

"And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation." (2 Peter 3:4)

Has Christ forgotten His promise?  After His resurrection, He returned to heaven to wait as Peter said, "until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began" (Acts 3:21).  Ever since the primeval promise in Eden (Genesis 3:15), God's inspired prophets have kept assuring the people of God that He would come as Savior of the world and then again as everlasting King, removing the curse of sin and death and bringing in everlasting life and righteousness.

But the centuries have come and gone, age after age, and the world continues to decay, growing worse and worse.  With global pollution, disease pandemics, ever-increasing crime, and countless other intractable problems, there may be nothing left if He doesn't come soon!

Has He forgotten His promise?  No! says Peter, in this very same chapter.  "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).

He has not yet returned because there are not yet enough who have "come to repentance"--that is, whose minds and hearts have turned away from the world system and have been renewed through faith in Christ as Creator, Savior, and Lord of all.  We need not despair, but simply "account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation" (2 Peter 3:15), seeking to lead people to Him until He comes.

His promise is sure, and one day He will return indeed!  Therefore, Peter concludes, "we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13).  HMM

http://www.icr.org/article/promise/

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (115)

MFM Church Bride Weds Without Makeup, Rocks Makeup At Reception / RCCG Pastor Gabriel Diya, His Son And Daughter Drown Inside A Pool In Spain / Famous Atheists Last Words Before Dying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.