Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:27 PM

Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! (13535 Views)

Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right / Spelling Errors On Nairaland Are Driving Me Nuts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Reese1: 3:59pm On Aug 29, 2008
Well, I think if someone is gonna start a thread talking about others and their spelling errors, they better hit that preview button several times and make sure every 't' is crossed and every 'i' is dotted.

But then, after getting called out on your own mistakes, if you're gonna turn around and say that no one is above mistakes, then this thread should never have existed to begin with.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by JJay1(m): 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2008
I cant help laughing.

Anyway, I hope we dont all have an appaulling weekend grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by enque(f): 4:05pm On Aug 29, 2008
It's appaling that a large population of our so called educated Nigerians still make simple spelling errors in writing and speech.
Examples:
1. This particular one irritates the hell out of me! -  DEFINATELY AS OPPOSED TO DEFINITELY
2. INTERNATE AS OPPOSED TO INTERNET
3.I have also seen GOOD MOURNING AS OPPOSED TO GOOD MORNING.
and others too many to mention. Please kindly come up with other errors so people can be informed, It is disgraceful because most of these word are basics that shouldnt be mis-spelt

and my dear poster still can't spell correctly. very APPALLING!!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by ALERTEFCC(f): 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2008
i wonder why this should be a problem here despite the facilities available, atleast there is a spell check button,probably we care less about it.

did i bother to spell check? leave matter for mathiases

happauly ko apostle paul ni!!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by ALERTEFCC(f): 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
@ poster
see how person take give himsef upper cut!!!

chei!!! see blood!!!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by cold(m): 4:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
Little wonder nairalanders always look up to me.I'm simply put- flawless.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by knotty(m): 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
wath is rung in spelling miskate? sometaims the problme is typing msitake especially whne yuo are in a hurry because of internate cafe charges.
so, cut the chase, we are an educated lot here jo o.
by the way, who appointed you judge over us? what an appaulful assumptuous
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by lafile(m): 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2008
Can someone pls tell me when the short form of "I AM" changed from "I'M" to simply "AM"? Last time i checked, "I am going to work" shortened to "I'm going to work" not "Am going to work" like most nigerians including ALL our newspapers seem to think.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Sisikill: 4:41pm On Aug 29, 2008
knotty:

wath is rung in spelling miskate? sometaims the problme is typing msitake especially whne yuo are in a hurry because of internate cafe charges.
so, cut the chase, we are an educated lot here jo o.
by the way, who appointed you judge over us? what an appaulful assumptuous

AM laffing to mush lafter ere, they wuuld soon firing me oh.

pleese AM beg yuo, stop now and don't bee abusining on him.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by eudio(f): 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2008
CGO,

i remove my cap for u.

u own error dey wake dead body shocked
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by agaba123(m): 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2008
abeg good gramer tests like Hot, bad gramer tests like beta
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by pearl2(m): 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
Honestly, it's hapaulleing cool cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by NegroNtns(m): 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
The one that really cracks me and a friend of my up was a company's Bill board in front of the company reads

WE DEVELOP SOFTWEAR   instead of software.

when they can't spell it, how can they develop it.

Na God go save us from quack professionals

Don't worry, this company writes and produces software softwear with language tutorials for teaching english grammar. You are in good hands with them.  grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by legry(m): 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
Shilt!!! lol, lol, lol shilt! shilt! shilt!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by AKO1(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
WOW, Im apaul'd by this chred!

Remember that English is not the first language of majority of Nigerians.

And as another poster noted, education is not treated as it should be, both by the government and by schools.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 29, 2008
A_K_O:

WOW, I'm apaul'D by this chred!

Remember that English is not the first language of majority of Nigerians.
And as another poster noted, education is not treated as it should be, both by the government and by schools.

Exactry!!! cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by AKO1(m): 6:25pm On Aug 29, 2008
Common misspelled words

acceptable
Several words made the list because of the suffix pronounced -êbl but sometimes spelled -ible, sometimes -able. Just remember to accept any table offered to you and you will spell this word OK.

accidentally
It is no accident that the test for adverbs on -ly is whether they come from an adjective on -al ("accidental" in this case). If so, the -al has to be in the spelling. No publical, then publicly.

accommodate
Remember, this word is large enough to accommodate both a double "c" AND a double "m".

acquire
Try to acquire the knowledge that this word and the next began with the prefix ad- but the [d] converts to [c] before [q].

a lot
Two words! Hopefully, you won't have to allot a lot of time to this problem.

amateur
Amateurs need not be mature: this word ends on the French suffix -eur (the equivalent of English -er).

cemetery
Don't let this one bury you: it ends on -ery—nary an -ary in it. You already know it starts on [c], of course.

changeable
The verb "change" keeps its [e] here to indicate that the [g] is soft, not hard. (That is also why "judgement" is the correct spelling of this word, no matter what anyone says.)

collectible
Another -ible word. You just have to remember.

column
Silent final [e] is commonplace in English but a silent final [n] is not uncommon, especially after [m].

conscience
Don't let misspelling this word weigh on your conscience: [ch] spelled "sc" is unusual but legitimate.

Click here and learn more
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by agaba123(m): 6:26pm On Aug 29, 2008
Ujujoan:

Exactry!!! cheesy grin

Exact what? try?
Ok i will tri
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by drrionelli(m): 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2008
I can't personally say whether Nigerians have problems with spelling any more or any less than do others.  What I can say is that I could certainly understand why such would be the case.

Consider this:  Nigeria is home to hundreds of languages.  That alone brings challenges.  When you're exposed to a huge number of words you're likely to misspell some.  Also, the English spoken and written in Nigeria seems to me to be closer to that used in the UK.  And, of course, there's the influence of the English that's used in the US.  Same language, but occasionally different orthographies.  

As to the elimination of the first person singular pronoun in some usages, perhaps that concept is borrowed from Spanish.  It would be as correct to say, "Soy drrionelli" as it would to say "Yo soy drrionelli."  

@A_K_O:
I like your helpful hints! I always remember conscience as "con" (with) "science."
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by OutlukBabe(f): 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2008
Spelling Error isnt a problem. I came across this sometime ago, and it is amazing. So, my sisters and brothers just wen u ar chatn punch d keybod as fast as u can, she hav to understand. U need to save time. nd if it is an SMS 2 ur lov 1, it wil cost u les.

This is weird, but interesting! fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it FORWARD ONLY IF YOU CAN READ

If there is anyone that can not read this in this gossip centre, then he shouldnt be contributing.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Scopium: 6:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
[size=13pt]Me and my friend saw one of those at MMA last year. The sign goes No Parknig instead of No Parking. Not one or two signs but lots of them and we saw it for a period of at least two months[/size]
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Scopium: 6:50pm On Aug 29, 2008
[size=13pt]If the owner of the language can still make mistakes with his/her language, what's the fate of the dude that is just learning the language[/size]
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Bastage: 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2008
I agree.

Tottally appawling. grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Classigal(f): 6:54pm On Aug 29, 2008
Y'all are just funny.

reading over and over again just to be sure there are no hapaling miskates
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Scopium: 6:59pm On Aug 29, 2008
[size=13pt]I think it's rappalling[/size]
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Scopium: 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2008
[size=13pt]One b[b]l[/b]os said it's apparring[/size]
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by nigeria13: 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2008
look it as to do with the administrator of nairaland. There is a portion in the software he is using. that allow him to manipulate speeling. And seun is using it to his advantage. To let you come back and correct it. So that the number of hits would high and people would keep on coming back. If he turns it off. People would be able to spell well. But seun is here to make money. who blame him.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by bodsibobo(m): 7:27pm On Aug 29, 2008
Seun is that so? That's very arppoulign!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by cgift(m): 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
bodsibobo:

Seun is that so? That's very arppoulign!

Is apauline that we nigerans takes thing out of contest tongue
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by bodsibobo(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2008
Is apauline that we nigerans takes thing out of contest

Ha, ha, ha!

Did you mean 'out of context'? or 'out of contest'?

Or maybe you meant 'out of crontrest'?; OLODO!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by cgift(m): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
bodsibobo:

Did you mean 'out of context'? or 'out of contest'?

Or maybe you meant 'out of crontrest'?; OLODO!

btw contest and crontrest, which is closer to context. Bigger OLODO tongue
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by vvvjustice: 8:14pm On Aug 29, 2008
What about BEEN for BEING
                   THEIR for THERE
                   THEIF for THIEF
                   CHEIF for CHIEF

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yabatech Post Ume 2010/2011 / Twitter User Says, 'sugar Daddies Have Contributed Immensely To Education' / JAMB Makes N8.5 Billion From 2018 Admission Forms

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.